Good Ole Pecan Pie

by Meghann on November 22, 2011

It’s pie time!!!

I had so much fun baking my first pie last year (despite the epic egg-less fail), that I signed up to bring another one this year. When I asked Derek what kind of pie he wanted me to make, he requested pecan, so pecan pie it was!

Looks good, right? I can’t wait to dig in on Thursday and see if it tastes good too. 😉

Thanks to Melissa’s suggestion, I followed this recipe for Caramel Pecan Pie from The Sweets Life. The recipe for both the crust and filling was fairly simple to follow, especially for a novice like myself.

And it didn’t hurt having a baking partner in the kitchen either.

IMG_1794.jpg

Megan is in town visiting family for the holidays and was kind enough to assist with baking while we played catch up. I had’t seen Megan since she moved to Maryland last May, so we had tons to discuss (including a full recap of her epic marathon on Sunday).

We made a good team. She worked on the dough, I worked on the filling, and we were able to meet half way.

IMG_1821.JPG IMG_1822.JPG IMG_1823.JPG

Homemade pie crust? Check!

Sweet caramel pecan filling? Check!

IMG_1827.JPG IMG_1828.JPG IMG_1829.JPG

We had enough pie crust for two pies, but not enough pecans for two. After doing a little research online we decided to get a little creative with our own take on pie.

We basically followed the directions of the original Caramel Pecan Pie, only we traded out the pecans with walnuts and added a handful of chocolate chips.

It smelled amazing. So rich and decadent going into the oven and coming out.

We were tempted to cheat and try a slice of either pie just to make sure it was right, but we were both pretty full from dinner and random nibbles, that we didn’t have it in us. I’ll just have to cross my fingers and hope they’re good on Thursday!

While the pies baked, we got to work on dinner.

Inspired by the pecans we crushed for the pie, we thought it would be fun to crush the walnuts Oh! Nuts sent me to a fine dust and use it as a breading for chicken nuggets.

Megan was all about the nuts.

Especially pounding them to a dust.

IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1799.JPG

We mixed the crushed nuts with bread crumbs, then coated cubed pieces of chicken breast with the mix after a dunk in egg whites.

The nuggets baked at 400 for 15 minutes.

The nutty walnut flavor was very subtle. It was definitely there, but tasted almost like an afterthought in each bite. Not bad.

The Alexia Sweet Potato Fries were an impulse buy during my weekly grocery shopping trip on Sunday. I’d never purchased them before, but they always stare at me int he frozen section screaming ‘try me!’ I loved how easy and simple they were to make, but I also loved how sweet potato-y they are. I was afraid the frozen fries would taste like regular fries with orange food coloring or something, but these were definitely sweet potato. 🙂

The steamed broccoli and mushroom added a little green to the plate.

I nibbled on way too many pecans and walnuts. I am stuffed.

We head to Titusville tomorrow evening and I’m happy I have the pies crossed off my list. I’m hoping to get the side dish out of the way tomorrow. I have brussels sprouts and parsnips that I’m hoping to do a roasted casserole with. We’ll see. 🙂

Are you in charge of any dishes for Thanksgiving this year?

1 Sana November 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I can’t wait for some pie action of my own on Thursday!
Sana recently posted..Trapped in the Rain!

2 Army Amy* November 22, 2011 at 11:15 pm

My family made me in charge of the salad! Ha! That tells you how much faith they have in my cooking skills. Your pies look dee-lish! They’re totally putting me in a Thanksgiving mood!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Decorating Doldrums

3 Heather November 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Those pies look awesome! I don’t have to bring anything Thursday but I volunteered to make a soup – pumpkin, carrot, ginger, hope it turns out good!
Heather recently posted..Foodie Friday: Thanksgiving Soup

4 Ari @ Ari's Menu November 22, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Oh my gosh, I have forgotten eggs so many times. It is a running joke in my house because I made so many cakes and cookies that crumbled and fell apart haha. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one 😉
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Thanksgiving 2011: The Menu

5 Laura November 23, 2011 at 12:10 am

I’m in charge of rolls. Which means going to the store. Impossible to screw up. My only job on the big day is to keep the dogs out of the kitchen (since we will have 4 dogs in the house!). I cannot be trusted to cook.
Laura recently posted..The Runner’s Christmas List

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 23, 2011 at 1:13 am

Looks delicious!

I am in charge of rolls and fruit salad. Plus a dessert. CAn’t wait to get crackin’!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Butterscotch Chia Cookies

7 Michelle November 23, 2011 at 1:13 am

We are hosting dinner this year and it’s a little scary. I have never cooked a turkey before!

8 Hillary November 23, 2011 at 7:11 am

Oh, those look GOOD.

I’m in charge of knishes (we do a spin on a Jewish Thanksgiving every year), mashed sweet potatoes, and dessert (I’m thinking a pumpkin trifle). I love cooking for Thanksgiving!
Hillary recently posted..Suck It Up

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 23, 2011 at 7:21 am

I love waffle fries, thy’re so much more fun to eat! I’m bringing a Brussels sprouts side to thanksgiving this year!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Crazy Schedule Style!

10 Amanda November 23, 2011 at 8:10 am

Your pies look pretty good! And nice job improvising on that 2nd one. 🙂

My family goes out to eat on Thanksgiving (it’s easier on my grandparents who are in their 90s), so I won’t be bringing anything. But, I do so much cooking and baking anyway, I don’t really feel like I’m missing out. The plan is to make some mashed potatoes a little later in the week – I look forward to those every year!
Amanda recently posted..Spiced Eggnog Smoothie

11 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon November 23, 2011 at 8:27 am

Mmm that pie looks great! I’ve never actually tried pecan pie before! I’ll be making an apple pie (with caramel and pecans actually!) and a hazelnut pear cake!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Nutella cookies

12 Hope November 23, 2011 at 8:39 am

That pie looks great! I’ve never had pecan pie before! Crazy, I know. I’m in charge of cooking everything. 🙂 I can’t wait to start cooking! I’m most nervous about the turkey. Even though I’ve made them before, I always get nervous I’m going to mess it up.
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Registry….

13 Heather November 23, 2011 at 9:18 am

The pie looks great! I am making pumpkin pie and twiced baked potatoes.
And you have seen Megan since May, silly. You saw her at HLS! But, I am still sure you had plenty to catch up on since August anyway 🙂 Looks like yall had fun baking!
Heather recently posted..Thanksgiving Traditions

14 MegaNerd November 23, 2011 at 8:35 pm

We did see each other at HLS… but I don’t think that really counts since we barely got a chance to say hello! 🙂
MegaNerd recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Race Recap

15 Heather November 23, 2011 at 9:13 pm

No def doesn’t count. Meghann was so busy making HLS awesome! I’m sure y’all has lots of catching up to do, esp. About your awesome marathon time!

16 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 23, 2011 at 9:21 am

I am doing everything! I am pumped and I’ve bought extra wine and coffee. It might get interesting the more I drink!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday (aka PMS FTW!)

17 Cait's Plate November 23, 2011 at 9:52 am

Those sweet potato waffle fries are the best! And I love your homemade chicken nuggets! I still need to try to make those!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Brownies

18 Melissa @TryingtoHeal November 23, 2011 at 10:02 am

Oh, the pecan pie looks delicious! I love the chocolate version too! I’m glad you decided to make that one!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Organic Produce Box by am

19 natalie (the sweets life) November 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm

ooh it looks great! and i love the creative twist on the other pie–can’t wait to hear what you think 🙂 Have a great Thanksgiving!

20 Alaina November 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm

This year I’m making the cranberry conserve and a pumpkin coffee cake for dessert! Yum! 😛
Alaina recently posted..Pre-Thanksgiving To-Do’s

21 Lisa December 23, 2011 at 12:01 pm

That pecan pie looks phenomenal! Congrats on the OhNuts win!!
Lisa recently posted..Christmas Morning ‘Gooey’ Coffee Cake and a Giveaway!

22 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 23, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Congrats on winning the Oh Nuts award with this!

I made cookies with my goodies from them. Your pie looks great!