Countdown to Turkey Time

by Meghann on November 21, 2011

Happy Monday before Thanksgiving!

Only three more days until turkey time(Or tofu-turkey time πŸ˜‰ ), parade time, pie time, and family time. I <3 Thanksgiving! πŸ™‚

I was at the gym this morning completing my final workout for New Rules of Lifting for Women Stage 4A. I have plans to finish 4B on Wednesday, then take the week off of strength training before the Las Vegas half marathon next weekend.

I can’t believe Stage 4 is almost over. Despite taking a two week hiatus in the middle, Stage 4 has flown by. However, with all the traveling and celebrations over the past month, I’m not sure there will be any changes in the results from this stage, but we’ll see when I take the measurements next week. I will say that I’ve really enjoyed this stage and already have lots of thoughts I want to share in my stage recap. Stay tune.

Post-gym I dove into a bowl of Pumpkin Pie Yogurt

Pumpkin Pie Yogurt:

• Plain Greek Yogurt
  • Vanilla Extract
  • Honey
  • Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • Pumpkin

Toppings:

• Apple
  • Graham Cracker
  • Pumpkin Spice Granola

I’ve had a couple of questions regarding how I’m incorporating the RD’s suggestions into my daily meal plan and I think this morning’s breakfast is a prime example of just that. When I met with her – and told her cereal is usually the staple of all my breakfasts with a yogurt topping – she made the casual suggestion of swapping the two. That way the high-protein greek yogurt becomes the main base with the cereal/granola/fruit acting as the topping.

It’s a small tweak, but it works well in upping the protein content and toning down the carbs. πŸ™‚

With that being said, I wanted to re-state that my new goal with my RD is for varied breakfasts with an emphasis on protein when I can. I’m not giving up my cereal bowls completely, but I’m cutting back to one or two a week instead of five. I’m also not giving up carbs, nor do I have plans to in the near future. I’m trying to up my protein and veggie intake, not cut out bread and cereal completely from my life. I’m striving for a carby/protein balance.

If anyone has any high protein breakfast ideas (besides the obvious eggs) I’m all ears. πŸ™‚ The RD had also suggested having toast with peanut butter in the morning and oatmeal with egg whites (I still need to try this) or protein powder. As the weather cools I think the oatmeal with egg whites or protein powder is going to become a morning staple.

Time to get my work on.

See ya!

1 Katie @ cooklaughmove November 21, 2011 at 10:17 am

I love mixing a whole, beaten egg into my oatmeal when it is almost done cooking. I stir in the egg and continue to stir a bit as it cooks (about 3 minutes) and eat. It makes taste sort of like custard!
Katie @ cooklaughmove recently posted..Bake it up!

2 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT November 21, 2011 at 10:18 am

Happy Monday! (I feel like I hit the jackpot with the first comment!) BOOM SHAKA-LAKA!

I always heard that American’s get more than enough protein in their diets because they eat so much meat — but if you’re not a big meat eater, like me, it’s really hard to get enough! I try to follow a 40/30/30 macro breakdown, and eating 30% of my calories from protein is WAY harder than it looks. And why are carbs just so delicious? Why can’t all proteins be delicious? And sweet? πŸ˜‰
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..400 Foot Climb, Beat That!

3 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon November 21, 2011 at 10:18 am

Hmm….high-protein breakfasts…
I like french toast topped with greek yogurt. Or french toast/regular toast topped with ricotta and jam. Or overnight oats made with a combo of greek yogurt and milk for extra protein (you could also throw protein powder in there…). Perhaps some sort of muffin made with protein powder and nuts and plenty of egg for extra protein?
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Siamese mushrooms

4 wymberley November 21, 2011 at 10:24 am

Shrimp n grits. Maybe add a mango salsa or add a turkey bacon?
wymberley recently posted..Oh Heck Yes!

5 Laura November 21, 2011 at 10:30 am

I also put eggs into my oatmeal! I cook it like normal (stovetop, with chia seeds) and when it’s almost done, I stir in an eggwhite. It makes the oatmeal super fluffy and is an easy way to add protein! And honestly, it’s way tastier to me than adding protein powder because a lot of time powders get a weird texture when heated.

6 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 21, 2011 at 10:37 am

I almost always have a protein-ified smoothie of some sort in the mornings for breakfast post-workout. Other high protein options I turn to often are cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with cereal and fruit (like you said, the yogurt is the base), and omelettes (which often turn into scrambled veggie messes but that’s ok!) I think your bowl this morning looks delicious!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..For I would walk 500 miles…

7 Michele November 21, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’ve been loving on this breakfast scramble I made up lately… I mix egg whites (or egg beaters or whole eggs) with spinach and johnsonville turkey sausage crumbles, throw it in the microwave for about 2 minutes and top with a little cheddar cheese when done. mmmm delish. even more delish on toast as an egg sandwich type thing. mmm i want one now.

8 Alaina November 21, 2011 at 10:43 am

I love adding Greek yogurt wherever I can at breakfast. Whether it’s on it’s own, or in oatmeal or cereal.
Alaina recently posted..Holiday Week!

9 Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat November 21, 2011 at 10:44 am

Try quinoa or bulgur wheat instead of oats- chock full of protein!

10 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 21, 2011 at 10:47 am

Countdown to T-day turkey trots. Isn’t that what the day is all about?

If you can get some peanut flour, that is a great way to up your protein intake. It’s basically defatted peanuts, so it’s high in protein but has much less fat than peanut butter.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Hotel Chocolat: Cinnamon Crunch

11 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 21, 2011 at 10:51 am

I add an egg into my oatmeal sometimes, and now i’ve started adding a scoop of protein powder into my oatmeal. I also put a half banana or some pumpkin in there, and peanut butter, well rounded meal!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Spiralization. Don’t Be Afraid.

12 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 21, 2011 at 10:56 am

oatmeal with egg whites is a great option! just make sure you stir them in well or you end up with clumps. i also like protein pancakes (use half oats/flour and half protein powder in place of the flour) mixed with cottage cheese. greek yogurt is easy… and 15 g of protein in a cup!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..turkey day prep.

13 Hillary November 21, 2011 at 11:02 am

I love low fat cottage cheese mixed with pumpkin/bananas/or apples. Add in a little cinnamon, and you have a nice, filling breakfast!
Hillary recently posted..Suck It Up

14 Emily@SavoryandSavage November 21, 2011 at 11:08 am

I would think a bit more out of the box.

Adzuki beans are fairly high in protein – they have a mild nutty and slightly sweet taste and they are fairly easy to digest – which makes them a perfect breakfast meal – just cook up the beans and season them to your liking and serve them as a morning stew.

Throw some quinoa into the bean stew and you have bumped up the protein a bit more.

The best part about using adzuki beans is that you can either as a savory dish or sweeten them to make a dessert like dish.

Good luck I struggle with the protein issue too.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Turkey chili

15 ChristineH November 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

I like a frozen, organic, whole grain waffle with chunky peanut butter and a little drizzle of honey on top or bananas on top – the waffle is a great vehicle for any topping you like!

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 21, 2011 at 11:28 am

Quinoa is a good protein option. I’ll make a big batch and then use some for breakfast, warmed up with a bunch of toppings and some milk. Like a mix between a cereal and oatmeal but with the complete protein of quinoa. πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon race recap & new PR!

17 Coco November 21, 2011 at 11:29 am

I really like to add protein powder right to my greek yogurt. It might sounds a bit strange but it’s actually really good, especially with cookies and cream or chocolate whey protein powders.. Just think it’s usually about 25g of protein per scoop depending on your powder on top of all that protein from the yogurt..
Coco recently posted..All to quickly

18 Lindsay @ runningthewindycity November 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm

This past Saturday I made my first oats with egg whites ever. I am a changed oatmeal eater :P. It was sooo good. The oatmeal was super fluffy and really light. Definitely try it πŸ™‚
Lindsay @ runningthewindycity recently posted..Things I Did Today

19 Dani November 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Smoothie: 1 banana, couple frozen cherries, chocolate protein powder, soy/almond/rice/coconut/dairy milk (whichever you prefer), ice cubes. I also sometimes throw in the rest of my morning coffee for a post workout energy boost!

20 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance November 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I used to do the whole egg whites in oatmeal thing which was my FAVORITE, until I found out I was allergic to egg whites, of course πŸ™
Now it’s allllll about the turkey bacon. Wellshire Farms is the kind I love!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Holiday Excitement

21 Meg November 21, 2011 at 12:28 pm

You could try cottage cheese topped with fruit & a side of toast in the mornings. I also tend to be kind of untraditional when it comes to breakfast–if breakfast for dinner is a good idea, why not dinner for breakfast? Sometimes a sandwich or wrap (with plenty of lean protein like tempeh or turkey) with some veggies is just what I want, even if it’s 8am! Or consider an alternative to your usual oatmeal and use a different cooked grain like oatbran, whole grain brown rice or quinoa, all of which have more protein that regular oatmeal.

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Eggs!!! πŸ™‚

Also chia seeds added to anything, omelletes, protein powder oats, protein pancakes, and smoothies. YUMM!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Kick It Up A Notch – Holiday Perspective

23 Shannon @ Mon Amour November 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I really need to work on cutting out some carbs and eat more veggies. You should post meal ideas or whatever you come up with because I’m sure we could all use some healthier high protein breakfasts!
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..25K Swim Challenge

24 Lauren November 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm

So I know eggs are obvious but a great easy breakfast is a breakfast muffin. Just take a muffin tin with muffin cups that have been sprayed with cooking spray and add a mixture of eggs, veggies, Tofu, meat cheese whatever and bake for 20-25 on 350. These keep well in the fridge and are a great lunch or snack as well. my fave combo is a cup of egg whites, spinach, feta, a scoop of Greek yogurt and salt and pepper to taste. I sometimes crumble up a piece of whole grain bread as well.
Lauren recently posted..Five For Friday

25 Sarah November 21, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Hi Meaghann!

I love eating oatmeal (1/2 cup) with a half mashed banana, 1/2 scoop of protein powder and a little PB2 or peanut butter! It is delicious and keeps me full for the entire morning!

PB2 is probably the best invention for oatmeal, it gives you the taste of creamy PB but with about 1/2 the calories..the chocolate peanut butter is my favorite, you can get it on http://www.iherb.com and use my coupon code: IPU066 to get 5$ off your first purchase!!!

26 Amanda November 21, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Breakfast looks great! You might also consider a protein smoothie in the mornings. They’re less tempting when it’s cold outside, but still a great way to get in some fruits/veggies too. Just follow it with some hot tea. πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Individual Pumpkin Custards

27 Cait's Plate November 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Greek yogurt with nut butters! Also high protein grains can make a nice “oatmeal-like” bowl πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Inspired

28 Ari @ Ari's Menu November 21, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Oatmeal with protein powder is pretty much my staple. Delicious filling and lots of good carbs and protein all at once! πŸ™‚
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Scraped

29 Emily November 21, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I recommend adding a scoop or two of protein powder to overnight oats. I LOVE this combo. I personally use whey, but if you are trying to steer clear of milk products you could probably sub soy or pea powder, just use a neutral flavor like vanilla. 20-24 grams of protein per scoop, that is as much as 3-4 oz of chicken (depending on what calculator you’re using!)
Emily recently posted..NoJoMo – Day 21

30 Meghan November 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Happy almost Thanksgiving πŸ˜€ By the way, I always whip egg whites to my oatmeal! It is virtually tasteless, adds volume and satisfying protein. Win!
Meghan recently posted..Bondi and Yasso