No-Fail Shepherd’s Pie

by Meghann on November 17, 2011

What’s your favorite standby dish?

Mine is my no-fail Shepherd’s Pie. It’s ridiculously easy to make and delicious to eat. The base of the dish may very depending on what ever I have on hand, but the concept always stays the same. πŸ™‚

First I start with the veggies and ‘meat’ of the pie. This evening it was a couple of carrots, red onion, asparagus, and tempeh. (I’ve used lentils, chicken, ground beef, etc in the past)

I season everything with oregano, thyme, garlic, and pepper, then coat it all with a couple of spoonfuls of flour once the veggies are soft.

Make sure everything is nice and coated.

Next comes the vegetable broth. Usually it takes 2-3 cups to make sure all the veggies are covered.

The broth is brought to a boil for a few minutes, then back to a simmer to allow the gravy to thicken for 5-10 minutes.

While the shepherd pie’s base is simmering, I get to work on the topping – mashed sweet potatoes.

I like my mashed potatoes thick. I steam the sweet potatoes for 5-10 minutes and hand mash them with a masher. No milk needed. πŸ™‚

When the gravy surrounding the veggies is thick, it’s ready to bake.

The veggies go on the bottom of a standard casserole dish.

(her comes my secret πŸ˜‰ )

Traditionally the cheese goes on top of the potatoes of the shepherd’s pie, but I prefer it under. This way the cheese melts into the veggies and adds an extra level of cheesy yumminess to the dish. πŸ˜‰

Finally, the sweet potatoes tops everything off.

At this point everything is already cooked. I like to bake it for 15 minutes at 350, just to let everything come together.

The results are amazing. A classic no-fail dish that no one could turn down. I mean how can you say no to mashed sweet potatoes and veggies covered in gravy?!

I thought so. πŸ˜‰

The portion above was my 1/3 of the pie. Derek finished off the rest. πŸ™‚

Backing up…

I had leftovers for lunch today (surprise, surprise)

I did get a little creative with the pork. I ripped the last piece apart and heated it up with a little bbq sauce. Consider it my version of a pulled pork sandwich. πŸ˜‰

Mixed nuts for a mid-afternoon snack.

IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0051.JPG

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream dessert.

Yum πŸ™‚

Alright, time for bed.

Good nIght!

1 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine November 17, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Looks delicious! I’m going to have to try this with sweet potatoes. So healthy too. Yum!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Apartment Tour

2 Army Amy* November 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm

The colors! This dish looks so yum!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Chowing down and Counting down

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I LOVE Shephard’s Pie, but I’ve never even thought of using sweet mashed potatoes or putting the cheese underneath the potatoes! I love the looks and sounds of it all! Definitely trying this. Thanks for sharing. πŸ™‚
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

4 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I’ve never made Shepard’s Pie….but it looks full of tasty things!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Isolation Works

5 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler November 17, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I’ve never seen it with sweet potatoes! I’m going to have to try it. Since I went vegetarian, I didn’t even think about this dish anymore. I’m definitely going to put this on my list of things to make!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Drawback of a Long Weekend

6 Allie November 17, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Your Shepherd’s Pie looks great; I am going to have to try it!

7 Hope November 18, 2011 at 8:11 am

I love Shepard’s Pie! I always make it at least once a month if not more. It’s so comforting! I’ve never tried it with sweet potatoes. Great idea! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Celebrating 6 Years Together…

8 Emily November 18, 2011 at 8:11 am

I am absolutely stealing this recipe idea. (modifying it for whatever I can find in my house, of course). It looks AMAZING! And reading it, I agree about the cheese. Definitely under the potato.
Emily recently posted..NoJoMo–Day 17

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 18, 2011 at 8:16 am

I’ve actually never had shepherd’s pie! Although it looks really easy to make! Maybe I’ll make it for my family when I’m home over Christmas break! Haha yes, my brain has skipped thanksgiving and is ready for finals to be over and 4 glorious weeks off to be here!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Tea Time!

10 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

I love the idea of using sweet potatoes as the “topper”!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Wedding: Details

11 Amanda November 18, 2011 at 8:46 am

It’s been way too long since I had shepherd’s pie. Your recipe looks delicious, especially with the crumbled tempeh and sweet potatoes. I’ve traditionally used white potatoes, but your version sounds even better.
Amanda recently posted..Quick & Easy Tortilla Pizza

12 Hillary November 18, 2011 at 9:10 am

My bf ordered an INCREDIBLE shepard’s pie when we went out for dinner last weekend, and I’ve never made one from scratch before. Now you both have me thinking!
Hillary recently posted..Small Act, Big Impact

13 Christina @ Everyday Decisions November 18, 2011 at 9:34 am

I love having standby dishes and have completely forgotten about this one!
Never has the thought of sweet potatoes on top crossed my mind before.. looks delicious. You have helped me decide on what’s for dinner tonight — Shepard’s Pie!

14 Cait's Plate November 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

Love the healthier version of the shepherd’s pie! I definitely want to try this, my boyfriend loves the stuff and I think this would make him a happy, happy camper πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Joy of My Life

15 Heather @ Better With Veggies November 18, 2011 at 10:16 am

Mmmmm…cheese below the mashed potatoes – genius!
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..How To Make Treadmill Running More Fun!

16 Sara November 18, 2011 at 10:17 am

This looks delicious!
I’m following you on twitter and every time I see your little picture I think it’s Kate Middleton. Seriously it freaks me out every time. You look so much alike! Have you gotten that a lot?!

17 Meghann November 18, 2011 at 10:56 am

Ha! I’ll take that as a compliment πŸ™‚ I’ve had a couple people say that about photos, but I think it’s just the long brown hair. I promise we look nothing alike in person πŸ™‚

18 Leslie November 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm

“base of dish may very”… should be vary. Proof reading and correcting grammar and word use errors would enhance your credibility as a writer trying to work professionally. I love your blog and what you have to say. It sometimes distracts from your message when there are mistakes. I am not trying to be mean I promise.