My Crazy Family Tree

by Meghann on November 16, 2011

Good Morning!

I’m packing up and heading home today. It’s been fun South Carolina, but I miss my two favorite snuggle buddies (Derek and Maddie).

I pieced together one final breakfast in my aunt’s kitchen before I headed out of town:

Inside:

• Chobani Peach Yogurt
  • Honeycrisp Apple
  • Special K
  • Crumbles of a leftover piece of cornbread

Not the best photos ever, but they work. The apple I had was one of the gigantic honeycrisp ones and I didn’t realize just how much apple that was until I started chopping it into little pieces. I would say that bowl was overflowing with a 90% apple base and a 10% mix of everything else.

I have a goal of hitting up the gym to squeeze in a NROLFW workout once I get home. It’s harder to fit those workouts in when traveling, but I’m determined to make it work. Also, I think Kelly and I settled on a May marathon. Three cheers to that! πŸ™‚

My Crazy Family Tree

I have a big family.

I have an even bigger extended family.

When I referred to my aunt’s husband as, well, my aunt’s husband last night and not my uncle in last night’s post I knew I was going to get a couple of questions on that. The truth is, it’s complicated. But isn’t that how most families are today?

My ‘aunt’ is actually my mom’s aunt through marriage. My maternal grandmother is the eldest (or second eldest?) of eleven children (not all survived through birth/childhood). She married my grandfather when she was 16 and had my mom and her twin shortly thereafter.

My grandmother’s younger brother (my great uncle) was only 8 or 9 when my mom was born. Twenty years later, he married my great aunt, who was 6 years his junior and only a year or two older than my mom. They had two sons who are technically my mom’s first cousins and my second cousins, but both are much younger than I am.

Have I lost you yet?

Anyway, I grew up visiting my aunt, uncle, and cousins on various trips to the Carolinas (we used to go up there a lot to visit family), but they divorced in the early 2000s when I was a teenager. They’ve both since remarried, but my aunt will always be my aunt and her husband is, well, just her husband.

(my aunt and I in Gatlinburg last month)

I told you it was complicated.

It’s crazy how complicated families can really get once they start expanding and trying to figure out who to call what just gets confusing. I’m extremely close to all of my first cousins on my dad’s side and usually just refer to all of their spouses and children as my own cousins to keep it easy. I also refer to my mom’s aunts and uncles as my own aunts and uncles (most of them are her age anyways) and her cousins are just my cousins. When you start throwing in great, second, third, once-removed, etc it just gets confusing.

When it comes down to it, it’s all family and that’s all that matters. πŸ™‚

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

Ha. My family is the same way. Our Grandma Jean is my Mom’s second cousin twice removed (WHAT?). And we have an aunt and uncle who are totally not related to us. Not even via marriage.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Richmond Marathon: When You Run 26.2 Miles, There’s Time to Think

2 Lindsey November 16, 2011 at 10:53 am

That is complicated! I have the smallest family ever! Both my parents are only children (well my Dad had one sister that died very young) so I have no aunts, uncles or cousins!
Lindsey recently posted..Sorry Tuesday

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 16, 2011 at 10:58 am

Haha that is very complicated! I also have a random family tree that I’ve been slowly learning about. Turns out I have a cousin here in Chicago that I didn’t know existed until last Christmas!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..What I ate Monday…

4 Cait's Plate November 16, 2011 at 11:03 am

When it comes down to it, it’s all family and that’s all that matters. πŸ™‚ <— Totally agree! πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Waffle Sandwich: Reinvented

5 Chloe (In Fine Feather) November 16, 2011 at 11:03 am

My family is the same way – I have four grandparents due to divorces and my boyfriend also calls family friends “aunties” which makes it confusing for me as well. However, I think it makes family get togethers more fun when more people are included!
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..Running Day 1

6 Britt @ Run with Britt November 16, 2011 at 11:05 am

My family is the same way. I have so many great aunts and uncles and second and third cousins up in Missouri, but we are all still close even though we have a very large family tree. Large families defiantly make the holiday season more fun!
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Post-Marathon Recovery

7 Macrae November 16, 2011 at 11:06 am

Haha- sound like my family! My mom is the last of 5 spread out 19 years. Her oldest brother had 6 kids, they are all married with kids…So the great-grand kids are as old as the grand-kids! Plus two of my cousins have remarried to women with 3 kids each of their own. It gets INSANE over Thanksgiving with the amount of people! I love it though, I can’t imagine no aunts, uncles, cousins, etc πŸ™‚

8 Army Amy* November 16, 2011 at 11:25 am

My head is spinning! That is confusing.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Inked

9 Laura November 16, 2011 at 11:54 am

I know what you mean! My mom’s brother, my uncle, married a woman, and I call her my aunt. But what do I call her sisters? When I say “my aunt’s sister” people think its another aunt, but its not… So I just say it, then explain when they ask, and then they regret asking.
Laura recently posted..Dear Body,

10 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 16, 2011 at 12:03 pm

meghann, your hair is so long in that pictures!! very pretty πŸ™‚

i think we all have crazy, hard to understand family trees.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..what i ate wednesday {11.15.11}

11 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 16, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I LOVE my big family!! I have 9 siblings, so with some of them married and with kids this family is only expanding!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Carrot Cake Recipe (Healthier)

12 Kim November 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm

You’re’ right..they’re family and that’s all that matters. πŸ™‚
Kim recently posted..Pricey veggies

13 joelle (on a pink typewriter) November 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I think crazy families are the best kind, personally.. mine is a hot mess, but in a good, loving way. πŸ˜‰
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Holiday recipe round-up: Thanksgiving

14 shae November 16, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Fun fact: Your grandparent’s siblings are known as “grand uncle” or “grand aunt” to you, not “great” πŸ™‚ I learned all this from doing my genealogy on ancestry.com!

15 Hannah N. November 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I think your family is a little bigger than mine, but I have a LOT of cousins and now they are having kids. In addition to that, I’m close with my great aunt and uncle and their kids (my mom’s first cousins), and their kids (who I just call my cousins), and their kids! For two of my aunts (through marriage, they married my mom’s brothers), I grew up calling their siblings aunts and uncles as well. In addition to that, my boyfriend has 5 brothers and his mom is one of 7 kids. We’ve been together for a loong time so now I call his extended family “aunt” and “uncle”. Our house is a little crazy on Thanksgiving, but I wouldnt have it any other way πŸ™‚

16 Amanda November 16, 2011 at 1:25 pm

My family is the same way. My grandmother remarried after my grandfather passed away, and her (2nd) husband has five kids. I’ve known them almost my entire life, but I still don’t refer to them as my grandfather and aunts and uncles. It works though, and no one seems to mind.
Amanda recently posted..Baking Because: Online Bake Sale Today

17 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane November 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Definitely lost me πŸ˜‰ but I can relate. Some of my cousins are more like uncles. It gets crazy trying to call them by the real relation!
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Marathon Woman Kathrine Switzer

18 Colleen November 16, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Definitely agree. Family is family, who cares the correct title of each one of them. I come from a very large family also and it is too confusing to keep everyone straight. Much easier to say aunt, uncle, cousin.

19 Courtney November 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I feel like families just get nuttier as you grow up and learn about them, haha. My mom is adopted, divorced and remarried so that adds several elements; both of my grandmothers were married and remarried and have children from many relationships, and the same is true of my grandfathers. I learn about new family members all the time! πŸ˜› Yay, family!
Courtney recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: Week 1 of Marathon Training!

20 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Honestly, you lost me after like the second sentence. But, cute picture of you and your aunt nonetheless πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Baked apple oatmeal

21 Jess@atasteofconfidence November 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I commend you for knowing all of that! I am at a loss when it comes to my extended family.

22 Ashley November 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm

My family is pretty similar in the huge confusing sense. My mom is one of 5, my dad is one of 6, and both of their parents are from large families. Unless I know someone is something specific, they are all my cousins :).
Ashley recently posted..a day in the life – lindsay