more ยป" />

Palmetto Palate

by Meghann on November 15, 2011

One of the best parts about traveling to a small town – and staying with a local – is getting to try the small cafes that I probably would have missed otherwise. My aunt and I spent the morning working in her office before heading to lunch with her co-workers at the adorable Palmetto Palate.

The Palmetto Palate is a cute little cafe near downtown Spartanburg with a simple, yet classic lunch menu full of salads, sandwiches, and soups. It’s the perfect lunch spot for a quick, light bite to eat.

I was leaning towards my go-to sandwich choice of a veggie and hummus, when one of my table mates began raving about the ham salad that was made in house. I’m honestly not sure if I’d ever had ham salad before, but she made it sound so good that i knew I had to try it.

I ended up ordering half a ham salad sandwich on rye with a cup of the tomato bisque.

The ham salad was salty, creamy, and delicious. I tend to stay away from ordering any sort of ‘salad’ based sandwiches at restaurants because they tend to be celery heavy (I’m not a fan), but this salad was celery crunch free. ๐Ÿ™‚

The tomato bisque was sinfully rich and creamy. It was the perfect dipping component to my ham salad sandwich.

Yep, local places rock. ๐Ÿ™‚

Gah! I can’t believe it’s already 3:30 and we have so much stuff to do. Better get back to teaching and tweeting!

1 Meaghan O'Connor @ My Spoonful of Inspiration November 15, 2011 at 3:53 pm

One of my goals for this month is to eat more LOCAL. I think it is so important to invest in our own communities! ๐Ÿ™‚
Meaghan O’Connor @ My Spoonful of Inspiration recently posted..Day 15- Beyond Myself

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 15, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I have NEVER heard of ham salad! Haha and I’m the opposite about “salad” sandwiches. I never order them because I’m afraid they’ll have too much mayonnaise and not enough veggies!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..HIIT Time!

3 Liz November 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm

No celery?!? The horror! That’s my favorite part of chicken & tuna salad. I usually double up on it when making the salads at home ๐Ÿ˜‰

4 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm

OH how I love soup and sandwich combos. SO delicious ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks tasty, girl!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Restaurant Food Swaps

5 Emily November 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm

The locals always know where to go! I love soup and sandwich combos!
Emily recently posted..Wanderlust

6 Emily@SavoryandSavage November 15, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Wow that sandwich looked so creamy and delicious but the soup looked even better.

I love finding great local restaurants.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Spicy creamy miso dressing

7 Erin November 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Yay! Someone else who dislikes celery in her “salads”!
Erin recently posted..Weekly Workout Wround Up

8 Cait's Plate November 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm

That looks like the most comforting meal! I want that right now!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..What Iโ€™m Loving Right Now: Cookie Edition

9 Shannon November 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm

That meal looks so simple yet delicious! Comfort food at it’s finest. Now I’m craving some soup….

I actually am a fan of beefing up my salads with celery, I feel like I can double the quantity and bulk it up with low calorie celery. Plus it’s crunchy and adds some great texture. Soggy celery is no good though…not a fan of that.

10 Corey @ Learning Patience November 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm

That tomato soup looks delicious! YUM!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..There’s No Place Like Home

11 Army Amy* November 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm

It’s raining here and that soup looks like the perfect dinner!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Double Medal Display?

12 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 15, 2011 at 5:50 pm

i’ve never heard of ham salad… sounds interesting. i love how adventurous you are with your food choices!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..shredded brussels sprout salad

13 Carissa November 15, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Mmm! I love rye! That used to be my go-to high school lunch time spread! My mom makes a warm ham, cheddar, and tomato sandwich! Amazing!
Carissa recently posted..Welcome back Workout

14 Abbie November 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Is a tomato bisque the same as a tomato soup? We have tomato soup here but I’ve never seen a bisque :s

15 Amanda November 15, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Hey! It’s Amanda (from CMP!) Glad I found your blog, and glad you enjoyed the sandwich! It was nice meeting you today ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery November 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I second that next to last paragraph….local places rock. I love finding those hole in the wall cafes….they’ve got the best food and the personal service always brings me back. <3
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..The family that eats togetherโ€ฆalso plays with their food together

17 Brittney November 16, 2011 at 12:49 am

You need to try Pita House while you’re in Greenville! It’s located on South Pleasantburg Drive across from Greenville Tech. It always looked sketch to me- it’s beside a piercing place/headshop but just go. And get the falafel! And if you do decide to try it, they only accept cash.
Brittney recently posted..How Unhealthy Eating Affects Me

18 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East November 16, 2011 at 5:06 am

I grew up in Spartanburg, SC and lived almsot all of my life there! Too bad right now I’m half way across the world (in Israel)- I sure would have loved to meet up ๐Ÿ™‚

I definately agree with Brittney about Pita House. My parents friends own the place and it is fabulous! I would also try the stuffed grapeleaves! Delicious!

19 Jules November 16, 2011 at 8:43 am

Welcome to SC!! I’ve been to that restaurant–my bf grew up in Spartanburg! I’m just a little ways down in Columbia…stopping through here on your way home?
Jules recently posted..Monday. boo.

20 Megan November 16, 2011 at 10:04 am

Are you in still in Spartanburg?? I live here and would love to meet up for a workout with you! I’m the Wellness Director for the Ys here, so you have a free place to workout if you want ๐Ÿ™‚