more ยป" />

Hills

by Meghann on November 15, 2011

Holy hills, Batman!

IMAG1045.jpg

I always forget just how ridiculously flat Florida is until I attempt to run in a different state and am quickly humbled with just how not-in-hill shape I am.

I attempted a quick run around my aunt’s neighborhood this morning, but the ‘quick’ part didn’t last long. I encountered the first hill less than a block from her house and just continued riding up and down them from there. It felt nice knowing I was getting some real hill work in (lord knows I need more in my training), but that didn’t stop my body from hating it.

I survived 3 miles of hills and immediately started questioning my ability as a runner. Looks like some training runs in Clermont will be in my immediate future if I even want to attempt a PR on a course with any sort of hill this spring.

On the plus side, the weather was gorgeous. Temps in the 50s during my run and a high of 72 today. Perfect fall weather.

I pieced together an easy breakfast from the snack stash I usually travel with.

IMAG1046.jpg

One honey crisp apple, one Peppermint Stick Clif Bar, and one cup of hot green tea.

The Peppermint Stick Clif Bars are starting to grow on me. I prefer the Peppermint Stick Luna Bars (chocolate! chocolate! chocolate!), but the Clif Bars are great too. They only have a hint of peppermint glaze, nothing overpowering or overly sweet.

IMAG1047.jpg

I was actually kicking myself for not throwing some instant oatmeal packets in my bag before I left Tampa.

What are your go-to travel snack essentials?

My carry-on was loaded up with a couple of apples, Clif Bars, trail mix, dried fruit, and tea bags.

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 15, 2011 at 9:29 am

I despise hills and avoid running them at all costs, but I suppose if I want to race stronger I should probably learn to tackle more of them! My go-to travel snacks are dry cereal, fruit, oatmeal mixed with protein powder, cinnamon and stevia (all you need to add is hot water!) and Simply Bars – cinnamon ones are the best!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Spotlight on Fall Produce: Apples

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 15, 2011 at 9:31 am

Your go-to travel snacks are just like mine: apples, Clif (or Luna) bars, trail mix, instant coffee packs (just in case!) and instant oatmeal. And if I happen to have a packet of PB lying around, I’ll toss that in too. These things have saved me numerous times! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday – Florence and the Machine

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 15, 2011 at 9:31 am

My bag is always packed with larabars when I travel. Love those things!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin cranberry chocolate chip bars

4 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run November 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

I go running in San Diego whenever I visit my brother and MAN the hills there are killer. We have it easy running in Florida, so I definitely know what you mean. I might need some Clermont action myself at some point. ๐Ÿ™‚
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Things That Make You Go Hmm

5 Mary @ food and fun on the run November 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

I plan to head to clermont or san antonio during the spring for some long runs. Let me know if you want to come!!

I always travel with protein bars, trail mix, and fruit if possible. If not, I make the grocery store one of the first stops when I get to my destination!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Cold Therapy

6 Kristie November 15, 2011 at 9:40 am

You can always do hill intervals on the treadmill, too. Not entertaining but it gives you no excuse :).

7 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 15, 2011 at 9:41 am

there’s peppermint Luna bars?!?!?! must. find. now.
Morgan @ Life After Bagels recently posted..And The Egg Keeps Runnin Runnin

8 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

Ugh, I hate running hills!! I avoid them at all costs haha.. My go-to travel snacks = Luna bars, Greek yogurt, fruit, and pb. ๐Ÿ™‚
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Apple roasted chicken

9 Shanna like banana November 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

I always pack NuGos, almonds, granola, and lately candy corn ๐Ÿ˜‰

10 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life November 15, 2011 at 9:52 am

I always bring Clif or Lara bars and then some instant oatmeal or trail mix!

11 Army Amy* November 15, 2011 at 9:56 am

I hate hills! I rarely train on them, and then they kill me during races.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Double Medal Display?

12 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine November 15, 2011 at 10:00 am

Great job on eating so healthy while traveling! I usually grab a banana and a couple bars and then rely on airport food…I actually really like both McDonald’s and Starbuck’s oatmeal, which helps for breakfast!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..5 New Favorites: Trader Joeโ€™s Edition

13 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 15, 2011 at 10:33 am

oh, and I want to go running where this ^ lady lives. Oh Casey and your beautiful scenery.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Uncle Jerry Is A Pain In The Arse.

14 Lindsey November 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

PB&Js! I pack them every trip we take. I also pack trail mix and fruit usually.
Lindsey recently posted..Early Christmas Gift!

15 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 15, 2011 at 10:03 am

I definitely bring apples, and then usually baggies of cereal, baggies of nuts, and granola bars. And I know what you mean about hills; I run here in Chicago and it’s totally flat so when I go home to Kansas City those hills beat me up!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..HIIT Time!

16 Cait's Plate November 15, 2011 at 10:04 am

Oooh I don’t think I’ve ever had the peppermint stick clif bar! I’ve only had Luna (I agree, the chocolate makes it). And I’m jealous of your flat Florida runs! Where I am there’s only hills, hills and more hills! I’m actually surprised South Carolina is hilly! I would picture it to be flat!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..What Iโ€™m Loving Right Now: Cookie Edition

17 Courtney November 15, 2011 at 10:09 am

I live in Lake County, a tad southeast of Clermont, but we have our fair share of hills here, hence the town’s name of Mount Dora and roads with names like Thrill Hill Road. While I don’t absolutely adore hills, I like the glute/hamstring burn they bring! Maybe I’m just weird like that. ๐Ÿ˜›
Courtney recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: Week 1 of Marathon Training!

18 Faith @ For the Health of It November 15, 2011 at 10:22 am

That’s awesome to know! I was actually thinking about making a trip out to Mount Dora to run through the town and see some of the fun antique shops! I went once a while ago and thought it was really pretty and would have been great to run!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Normalcy is Relative

19 Emily @ comfortable home life November 15, 2011 at 10:22 am

Seriously, welcome to the hills. It’s impossible to find a flat surface around here. Although, the swamp rabbit trail is (relatively) flat and absolutely gorgeous. Why do you think I signed up or a marathon in Florida? Flat as a pancake!!
Emily @ comfortable home life recently posted..Drinkify

20 Lauren November 15, 2011 at 10:22 am

You don’t have to go all the way to Clermont! ๐Ÿ™‚ Pinellas county bridges make for excellent hill work!
Lauren recently posted..Hi! My Name isโ€ฆ FEMINEMISM.

21 Casper November 15, 2011 at 10:28 am

There are some great hills in Lakeland around Florida Southern.

22 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 15, 2011 at 10:32 am

I grew up in nyc and canton, ohio. Flat and flatter. I go upstate and my ass is sore for weeks. I kinda love it.

That’s also my favorite clif bar. team peppermint.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Uncle Jerry Is A Pain In The Arse.

23 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

Love hill runs! At least that’s what I always tell myself while going up and it seems to help ๐Ÿ™‚

Way to power through it!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..thanksgiving inspiration + garlic pumpkin rolls

24 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 15, 2011 at 11:19 am

I LOVE hills. SO weird, but I just love ’em!

I travel with apples, dried fruit, nuts, and oatmeal packets. I also bring along fruit leathers and other ‘bars’ if it is a longer trip. I LOVE peppermint anything!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Restaurant Food Swaps

25 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon November 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I usually go with whole fruit, nuts, raisins, yogurt, and homemade granola bars!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..โ€œAll The Small Thingsโ€

26 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Definitely instant oatmeal, snack bars, nut butter and whole fruit.
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..A love story – Religion, Communication, Expectations & Embracing

27 Tami November 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Just signed up for a 16 mile race here in new Hampshire in January….all but 4 or so miles are up hill, one section is an almost 3 mile long hill…sounds fun eh!

28 Robyn (GirlonRaw) November 15, 2011 at 1:48 pm

The timing of this question re travel snacks is impeccable. I just launched my travel eBook this week.

Usually I travel with my travel blender, spirulina, lara bars, oatmeal (porridge), almond butter, stevia, kale chips and more!

29 Hillary November 15, 2011 at 1:58 pm

PB and banana tortillas! My fave.
Hillary recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Burgers

30 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hills KILL me! Yet they pretty much rule in Atlanta. I can’t escape them. Guess that helps when running flatter races? Have a great rest of the trip!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..From Beginning To End

31 Bri November 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I can’t avoid hills on my runs! They are everywhere around me. Even though I don’t appreciate them at the end of a long run or when I’m in the middle of a speedwork session, I gotta say that there is nothing like incline to whip you into running shape.

32 Heather November 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I always try to throw some bananas, larabars and Food Should Taste Good brand Tortilla chips in my bag when I travel. Those are my go to healthy snacks.

I’ve been wanting to try that peppermint stick Clif bar, but I was worried it wouldn’t be good. Maybe I’ll give it a shot!

33 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

ugh yes – hills!!!! They are a killer!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Happy Anniversary 2011

34 mary November 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I hate hills too. Fortunately, all of the greenway trails here in Raleigh are fairly hilly, they’re unavoidable. You’d better get your booty to clermont to run some hills if you want to go to cinci this spring! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Like I told Kelly, If you are willing to put the hillwork in, you can more than definitely rock whatever spring marathon you want to run ๐Ÿ™‚
mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Corn and Bean Salsa

35 Laure November 15, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Hi Meghann I have been reading your blog and other blogs since you were mentioned in Marie Claire. Running hills is great. It makes it so you do not even need the gym for lower body strength. It also makes it seem like the easiest thing ever to run a flat race when you are used to hills. Living in Colorado I am spoiled. I could definately see not wanting to do that on a treadmill. Boring!

36 Julia November 15, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Hardest for me to think up packable protein and veggies. I often protein powder and tuna in the pouch on my travels, but for veg?? I’m at a near complete loss there (dehydrated veggie soup?!). Any suggestions from you or your readers would be awesome!