Negative Splits

by Meghann on November 14, 2011

Good Morning. πŸ™‚

How was your weekend?

Mine was full of tissues and sleep. Boo.

The good news is that I continued to feel better this morning and was able to escape for a run around the neighborhood. I started out feeling a bit slow, but started to pick the speed up in the second mile. It was then that I decided it would be fun to achieve negative splits. Each mile I picked up the pace just a tad and ended up finishing 5 miles in 46:09.

Final Splits:

• Mile 1: 9:35
  • Mile 2: 9:25
  • Mile 3: 9:06
  • Mile 4: 9:03

Sweet!

On Friday I registered for the Rock ‘n’ Roll St. Pete Half Marathon with a (unicorns and butterflies) goal of finishing in 1:45. I’m working on a plan right now that will get me to that goal and am oddly excited about picking up the speed work again over the next 10 weeks.

My heart is still set on a 3:55ish marathon in the near future, but I may have to put that goal on hold until the fall. The majority of the spring marathons I’ve looked at are in early March or February and a little too early for me to fully dedicate enough training towards. I’ve been lusting after the Ft. Collins marathon on May 6th, but the flight prices are a little out of my budget. I’m watching the prices now and – who knows? – maybe they’ll come down before the race sells out. πŸ˜‰

Oatmeal!

Not just any oatmeal, PUMPKIN oatmeal. πŸ™‚

I restocked my pumpkin stash over the weekend and couldn’t wait to break open my first can.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • pumpkin spice
  • raisins
  • pinch of salt

On top:

• golden delicious apple
  • LoveGrown Granola
  • cinnamon

The perfect way to start the day. πŸ™‚

Time to get this Monday started! See ya!

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 14, 2011 at 9:21 am

I hope you’re feeling better Meghann! I’ve been sick for about 2 weeks now with a pretty bad cold so I know how you feel. Happy Monday! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Christmas Shopping and Copycat Chicken

2 Courtney Smith November 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

Be sure to take the elevation into consideration for the Ft Collins Marathon (about 5,000 ft)…it’s a lot harder to adjust than I thought it would be.
Courtney Smith recently posted..Running at 6,062 feet

3 Vikki November 14, 2011 at 9:35 am

Take a few days off from running/exercising and give your body time to get better. Just a bit of advice from someone that has been there and managed to make herself worse by exercising.

4 Cait's Plate November 14, 2011 at 9:40 am

I think I’ve had nearly this exact same bowl of oatmeal before! Haha. SOOOO delicious πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Savory Breakfast

5 Christina @ Just Running November 14, 2011 at 9:44 am

You have strong sexual desire for a race? Haha, that one made me smile.

That 1:45 half is yours for the taking.
Christina @ Just Running recently posted..Birthday Stuff

6 Meghann November 14, 2011 at 9:49 am

I do have sexual desire for that race (and running a 3:55 marathon πŸ˜‰ ), but lusting also takes on the definition of feeling a strong desire for something. πŸ™‚ http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=lusting+definition&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

7 Christina @ Just Running November 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

Yea, lusting can also mean that. Desiring a race sounds funny, so I would prefer to read it the first way. Let the lust brighten our day!
Christina @ Just Running recently posted..Birthday Stuff

8 Ida November 14, 2011 at 9:44 am

I think you could run a 3:55 in March- esp if you plan on being in 1:45 shape for a 1/2 in Feb.

9 Lindsey November 14, 2011 at 9:53 am

That is my goal to – 1:45 half marathon! Maybe next fall but right now I am taking a break! I also want to try and beat a 3:45 full marathon, I ran my first (and only to date) in May at 3:51 – but that goal is more long term and might be a couple years before I jump back into full marathon training!
Lindsey recently posted..Where To Start?

10 Brianna November 14, 2011 at 10:04 am

I think I’m going to try negative splits today with my 6miles! Sounds like fun πŸ™‚
Brianna recently posted..Monday Mantra

11 Mellissa November 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

So…how is that upping morning protein working for you?

12 Meghann November 14, 2011 at 10:30 am

I’m still working on it. The RD suggested the extra nut butter to up the protein in oats, but I think adding protein powder next time will help as well. Right now I’m struggling with making sure I’m getting plenty of protein in the morning without just having eggs every morning. It’s a challenge.
Meghann recently posted..Negative Splits

13 Madison November 14, 2011 at 10:23 am

The Flying Pig Marathon is on May 6th! Great race, great course, fun spectators. Plus, flights from CVG (Cincy) to MCO/TPA are normally prettttty reasonable! Something to think about!

14 Christina @ Just Running November 14, 2011 at 10:30 am

Megs, if you run this race in my city, I’ll make you a sign and cheer for you. Did Daily Garnish or some other blogger from Cincinnati mention she might run the Pig, too?
Christina @ Just Running recently posted..Birthday Stuff

15 lynne @lgsmash November 14, 2011 at 6:30 pm

A Cincinnati blogger?! yay! I’m a Cincinnati native, living in Denver so I approve both races πŸ™‚ Both have their own challenges. Once I’m recovered, Flying Pig is on the list to be my first marathon – probably 2013.

16 Meghann November 14, 2011 at 10:31 am

That’s another race that I’m looking out for. The hills just scare me for that one, though the altitude in Colorado is scary too.

17 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) November 14, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’m moving to Fort Collins in January! I want to do the half that day. It looks like a great race, but the elevation is really high, so I would take that into account. I went for a short run there while visiting last year and I could really feel the difference.
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..11/11/11

18 Megan November 14, 2011 at 10:34 am

You should consider running the Vermont City Marathon in Burlington over Memorial Day weekend. I ran it last year as my first marathon and it was a great race!

19 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner November 14, 2011 at 10:48 am

You + Kelly should come run the GO! St. Louis Marathon on April 15! I’m only doing the half, but I could at least run the first 9 miles with you guys! It’d be fun… (wink wink, nudge nudge)
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..an unexpected run

20 Liz November 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

If you are struggling with protein in the morning and want to avoid egg overload, my favorite protein packed breakfast is Greek yogurt with fruit. Tons of protein, calcium and super yummy. Also lends itself very well to mix ins!

21 Meghann November 14, 2011 at 11:18 am

That’s usually my go-to breakfast, only I load up on cereal of granola to make it a little more filling. πŸ™‚

22 Carly November 14, 2011 at 10:59 am

If you had to choose between the hills of the Fly Pig Marathon or the Ft. Collins Marathon, I would choose the hills. I’m from CO and coming from sea level to the altitude will add time to your marathon (Even with the downhill). Once you go into oxygen debt (like running a hill for example) you cannot recover from it at altitude like you would at sea level. You should add 10-15 minutes to your sea level goal time for a marathon at altitude.

23 Shannon @ Mon Amour November 14, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’m am shooting for a 1:45 half marathon in March too! I can’t wait to see what training plan you have come up with
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Ughh, Cooking

24 michelle November 14, 2011 at 11:03 am

1:45 half marathon is a dream of mine too. Good luck with your training
michelle recently posted..This Weekend…

25 joelle (on a pink typewriter) November 14, 2011 at 11:09 am

Mmm, pumpkin oats are always great on a fall day. Good luck training!
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Some more Monday things

26 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

I know how you feel! I wanted to run a half this winter, but living in Chicago that does not sound like fun! There are so many down south that I want to do but just can’t afford to fly down there!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Brace Yourselves.

27 mary November 14, 2011 at 11:15 am

Meghann, I told Kelly that the Pittsburgh marathon was also awesome. The last 5 miles are downhill, and there is awesome crowd support from what I’ve heard. and there is only one hill that takes you up onto the pitt campus. So says the website anyway. I’m also thinking about running this one in the spring πŸ™‚

mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Corn and Bean Salsa

28 Meghann November 14, 2011 at 11:19 am

What happened to Flying Pig?!

29 mary November 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm

The hills scare me too! I might just suck it up and put in the hill work.I feel like hills are going to be almost unavoidable this spring. I’m just glad that it’s fairly hilly where I live. Plus, I looked at the elevation chart and it’s not THAT awful. The reviews are good too. I just want to run and have fun. My friend that works at the hospital with me wants to run it, I’ll probably do whatever she does. πŸ™‚ I’m so torn. I’m just throwing ideas out there haha! If by chance we do decide to run the same one, I’d love to meet up with you guys again!
mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Corn and Bean Salsa

30 Kim November 14, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I haven’t tried the pumpkin oats. That sounds good! Glad you’re feeling better.
Kim recently posted..I did it!

31 Britt @ Run with Britt November 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Keep feeling better! That’s such a pesky cold. You totally have it in you to run a 3:55!
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Rock N’ Roll Marathon San Antonio Recap

32 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Feel better!!

I love pumpkin oats! πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Celebration Workouts

33 Brie @ Brie Fit November 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I’ve been harassing Kelly about this, but Oz Marathon in Kansas in April! Free lodging at Casa Brie (complete with cute puppy), reasonable flights, cute Wizard of Oz themed shirts, built in cheering section, fast course…ahem.
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..How to deal with someone else’s miscarriage

34 Meghann November 14, 2011 at 1:43 pm

You’ve got my attention πŸ˜‰

35 Brie @ Brie Fit November 14, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Plus, the registration fee is dirt cheap. April 21, $75. I won’t lie and say the course is super interesting, but the people are really friendly, and the full is half road, half paved trail.
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..How to deal with someone else’s miscarriage

36 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I am actually dying from the head down, i’m pretty sure. feel better.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Swine and Virgins

37 Anna November 14, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I’m doing the Colorado Marathon in Ft. Collins! I’ve done 3 half marathons (my latest was R’nR Denver at 1:50) and this will be my first full. The course is so beautiful and it’s all down hill! The Colorado Marathon produces the most BQ’s in the entire country. I just moved to Colorado and the altitude hasn’t bothered me at all.

38 Anna November 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

P.S. Their Facebook page reported this morning that the marathon was 66% full.

39 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope November 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I signed up too for the same race, but it will be my very first half marathon. My goal time is : finish πŸ™‚ Maybe see you and Callie there?
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..217

40 sharon November 14, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I did the 10k for the Colorado Marathon, and it was a great race! I think the scenery is even better for longer races, but I strongly suggest you do it!! But it ended up being really chilly that morning, so pack accordingly! I was thinking of doing the half this year! Keep us posted if you do it, I will look for you!!

41 Mary November 14, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Check out the Qualifier Marathon in the Great Lakes Bay Region, MI on May 20. Flat, fast, comfortable temps – may be what you are looking for to get that PR!