Gotta love Sundays

by Meghann on November 13, 2011

Today was a perfect mix of running errands, relaxing, and just plain being lazy. Gotta love Sundays. πŸ™‚

The morning was spent taking care of our weekly haul at Publix. Followed by a delicious lunch of leftovers.

Well, almost all delicious. The leftover cauliflower pizza from Anthony’s was amazing.

Not-so-amazing were the Frozen Green Giant Snap Peas I heated up on the side.

Blah. Not good.

The Green Giant boxed frozen vegetables were buy one, get one at Publix today (plus I had a coupon), but I had a hard time selecting any veggies that weren’t ‘lightly sauced.’ The sugar snap peas sounded safe, but as soon as I heated them up, I realized they tasted off. They were sweet. Too sweet.

I guess I should have checked the ingredient list first. See that below? Sugar is the third listed ingredient. The snap peas tasted like they were cooked in sugar water. They were so bad, I couldn’t even finish my serving.

Live and learn, right?

My afternoon was where the relaxing and just plain laziness of the day kicked in. I know it’s a little early for Christmas movies, but I couldn’t help but record a few that were showing on the Hallmark Channel last night. They were cheesy, they were lame, and my time probably would have been better spent doing laundry or cleaning the bathroom, but boy did it feel good to just zone out on the couch for a couple of hours. πŸ™‚

I snacked on a rice cake with almond butter and dark chocolate chips at one point.

And did manage to do at least one productive task when I started dinner before my movie marathon.

I love soup. Especially soup you can just set it and forget it. Split pea is the perfect example of that.

I started with a finely chopped sweet potato and red onion that I sauteed in a big pot. After 5-10 minutes, I added a bag of split peas, a box of chicken broth, and two cups of water. I brought it all to a heavy boil for 30 minutes, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and brought it back to a low heat to simmer for 4 hours. Done.

I like a nice thick, chunky texture when it comes to split pea soup and tonight’s soup was spot on.

On the side I had a piece of my (never ending) stash of pumpkin beer bread.

For dessert I had a serving of Publix Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream.

Check out what I found at Whole Foods today!!!

(minus the Chamomile Mint)

I couldn’t believe it when I found the seasonal Bigelow Teas in Tampa! I can’t tell you how many years I’ve spent drooling over these teas from afar because I hadn’t been able to locate them in Florida. When I saw them in Whole Foods I started to jump up and down, then proceeded to buy every flavor. πŸ™‚

I tried the Ginger Snappish tea for the first time after dinner.

The Genger Snappish reminded me of my homemade ginger brew I liked to make when I’m sick of hot water, fresh ginger, honey, and lemon. It was a tad spicy and great for my sore throat. I can’t wait to try the other flavors. πŸ™‚

Three things that are making me happy on tv right now:

• The Simpsons as food bloggers on FOX
  • The Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Cake Challenge on the Food Network
  • The Muppet Christmas Carol

That is all.

Good Night. πŸ™‚

1 Lindsey November 13, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I love Hallmark Christmas movies! I have already taped a few too πŸ™‚
After always seeing pumpkin ice cream on here I finally found some this weekend and am trying it tonight πŸ™‚ And I looked for holiday teas this weekend too but no luck yet!
Lindsey recently posted..Where To Start?

2 Army Amy* November 13, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Three cheers for laziness!*
Army Amy* recently posted..NYD Training: T-Minus 7 Weeks

3 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm

i have the ginger snap tea as well as another seasonal one called sugar cookie sleigh ride. they are both good but i’m a coffee lover at heart. the festive boxes make me happy though πŸ™‚
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Hangover Without Alcohol

4 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm

AHHH SEASONAL TEAS!!! There is just something so magical about leftover pizza. Super magical.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..#SyracuseProblems

5 Karen @ Run Shop Travel November 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I love Ginger Snappish tea! I bought a box this weekend too! Enjoy πŸ™‚
Karen @ Run Shop Travel recently posted..Work it Out

6 Courtney November 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm

The Simpsons as food bloggers?! I can’t wait to Hulu that episode! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: Week 1 of Marathon Training!

7 Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane November 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm

That cauliflower pizza sounds divine! I wish they had creative pies like that around here!
Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..8 miles and Kathrine Switzer

8 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

i haven’t seen that tea flavor before.. sounds yummy and perfect for a cozy evening.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..sunday morning take-out + thanksgiving menu!

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I have never been able to find those seasonal flavors and I live in a cold weather state! Not fair!!
I would pay someone to send me a Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride one. I see that on so many blogs and lust over it! haha
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Persimmon almond pancakes

10 Ash Bear November 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I have the sugar cookie flavor seasonal tea waiting for me in my desk drawer! It’s the perfect afternoon tea!

11 Katie @ Livehalffull November 13, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Those teas look SO GOOD! I love Candy Cane Lane by Celestial Seasons!
Katie @ Livehalffull recently posted..Say Yes to the Dress

12 Ari @ Ari's Menu November 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I seriously love Muppets Christmas Carol so much! I could watch it over and over and over. In fact, now I really want to watch it right this moment!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Super Simple Pumpkin Brownies

13 Lily November 13, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I will be going to Whole Foods this week and if they have those teas, I will also be buying all of them (then hiding them from the Mister as he already feels we have too large of a tea stash).

14 Hillary November 14, 2011 at 7:02 am

Ew. Snap peas have sugar listed on the ingredients? Gah. I need to start paying more attention when I buy frozen veggies, apparently!
Hillary recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Burgers

15 Hope November 14, 2011 at 7:59 am

Those teas look awesome! I’m going to have to keep a look out on them. I’m kind of picky with teas though.

Sorry the snap peas weren’t good. Ew, I can’t believe they have sugar in them! I would have never known. I will definitely stay away from those!
Hope recently posted..The Start Of A Busy Week…

16 Amanda November 14, 2011 at 8:07 am

What a bummer they put sugar in the snap peas! Way to ruin a perfectly good (naturally sweet) vegetable. And not good for people who think they’re being “healthy” by eating those. Totally unnecessary, in my opinion.

Have you tried the eggnog tea yet? I’m very curious about that one. πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Easy As (Pumpkin) Pie

17 Meghann November 14, 2011 at 9:16 am

I’m drinking it now. It’s pretty good. The eggnog flavor is very faint, but it’s a nice smooth tea.

18 Cait's Plate November 14, 2011 at 9:20 am

Ahhh! Those teas are SO great! I always but the Celestial Seasoning Candy Cane Lane, Sugar Cookie and Gingerbread during the holiday season πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Savory Breakfast

19 Lee November 14, 2011 at 9:44 am

You know what Green Giant frozen steamfresh veggies I love? The green beans and almonds. Try those. No added sugar.
Lee recently posted..A Pinteresting Recipe

20 silvia November 14, 2011 at 11:37 am

That tea looks wonderful! Unfortunately…I live far away…and I’m sure we can’t buy these over here…but…we have Celestial Seasons in some of our supermarkets. Maybe I can find some Christams flavors there.

I’ve been reading your blog since a couple of weeks! Love it!

21 Marlina November 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Glad you’re feelin better πŸ™‚ ! Egg nogg tea?!? I need to get my hands on some of that asap !

I used to LOVE the frozen green giant green beans for steaming, but the last few times they’ve tasted off :-/ what gives ?!?
Marlina recently posted..Reunited and It Hurts So Good

22 Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance November 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm

They probably were cooked in sugar water! The sugar helps to break down some of the cell walls so that when the veggie or fruit goes into the deep cold, the frozen water crystals don’t poke holes every which way in the cell walls and do a lot of damage to structure and nutrition.

That being said, I HATE sweetened veggies. It’s just wrong!
Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance recently posted..Friday Favorites: Band Edition