Under the Weather

by Meghann on November 12, 2011

My head cold returned with a vengeance. 🙁

Only this time it’s my nose giving me all the trouble. I fell asleep on the couch at precisely 8:30pm last night after loading up on some decongestants and getting ample snuggle time in with Derek and Maddie.

Nose sprays are so, so bad for you, but so, so good when you use them correctly. 😉

Despite not feeling so hot, I was able to throw together a pretty delicious meal for dinner.

I started with some onion and butternut squash in a large frying pan.

Added some broccoli.

Black beans.

Brown rice.

And once all the veggies were soft, I seasoned them with oregano, thyme, chili powder, salt and pepper, then added a ‘cheesy’ mix of about 1.5 cups of shredded cheese, 1 cup of milk, and 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt.

I mixed it all together and threw the pan in the oven for 15 minutes at 375.

The result was a cheesy blend of rice, beans, and veggies.

I topped my serving with some salsa.

I was hoping to have a good amount of left overs, but once I grabbed my serving, Derek finished off the rest. He was a fan. 🙂

I had a small serving of pumpkin ice cream for dessert.

My medicine wore off around 6:00am, so that’s about the time my nose woke me up. Blah. I hate being sick.

Derek made pancakes to help me feel better.

He used this recipe for whole wheat pancakes (I would decrease the baking powder next time, these were very fluffy)

Derek made the pancakes, but I made the hot apple topping by heating up apples and apple butter in the microwave. I finished my plate with some plain greek yogurt and cinnamon.

He was right. They did make me feel better. 🙂

My goal for today is to rest, stay away from the computer, and drink lots of hot tea.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

1 RunEatRepeat November 12, 2011 at 10:35 am

Feel better 🙂
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Friday Favorites Giveaway–Manna Organics

2 Amanda November 12, 2011 at 10:40 am

Sorry you’re not feeling well. Having a stuffy nose is terrible – I hate not being able to breathe through my nose. Maybe try some breathe-right strips at night? Those always seem to help me.
Amanda recently posted..Easy As (Pumpkin) Pie

3 Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! November 12, 2011 at 11:56 am

You should pick up a saline nose spray! It’s a lifesaver for me, and I tend to get sinus congestions all the time. It really helps clean out anything that is stuck up in your nasal passages. Plus, you can use it as much as you want without worrying about overmedicating–because it’s just salt water!
Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go! recently posted..Pandora’s New Workout Stations!

4 heather November 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm

So sorry you dknt feel well. I haven’t had the best couple of days medically, either. I hate not being able to breathe out my nose, that is the worst! Fell better soon!
heather recently posted..The one with the Emergency Room

5 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Hope you feel better!

6 Christine @ BookishlyB November 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I know nosesprays can be addictive but is there anything else that makes them bad?
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Spiney Art

7 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 12, 2011 at 12:37 pm

nothing like a delicious breakfast prepared for you 🙂

how long does it take you took cook the butternut in a pan? i find i cannot get it soft unless i roast it.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..of the moment {11.12.11}

8 Army Amy* November 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Anything with black beans is good to me! I hope you’re feeling better soon!*
Army Amy* recently posted..National Veterans Day Run: Race Recap

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Having a sweet guy to make me pancakes in the morning would certainly make me feel better!!! I hope your cold goes away soon!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Early Wake Up Call

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Feel better soon!

11 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Ahh, head colds are NOT fun.. feel better!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Fluffy greek yogurt pancakes

12 Emily November 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Feel better soon!
Emily recently posted..Honor Those Who Serve and Make a Wish

13 Cait @ Beyond Bananas November 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Totally know the bad side of nose sprays. I was legit addicted to Afrin for a year. I couldn’t go an hour without using it.. because I wouldn’t be able to breath. I’d use it and then had some relief.. but it wasn’t long until I needed it again.

I finally saw a doctor who made me stop using the Afrin STAT. It was so hard to deail with the not being able to breath for a couple of days. But it got better. And I will never use it again!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Weekend Scenes

14 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm

If you can stomach sinus irrigation (like totally flushing them out with saline solution), it will help. I’ve had one cold since I started doing it over 3 years ago. It’s the best, even if it’s gross.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Madecassee: Pink Pepper and Citrus

15 erica November 12, 2011 at 6:20 pm

ah nose sprays…i have prescription nose spray for my insane allergies, but i know how addicting they can get. but what relief they provide!!!

hope you feel better soon! 🙂
erica recently posted..professional wedding pics: just the two of us

16 Nicole November 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I’ve also been feeling under the weather with a cold this week – not fun!! Feel better soon 🙂
Nicole recently posted..Snow Spirit

17 Alaina November 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hope you feel better! I feel a head cold coming on for me too. Not fun. 🙁
Alaina recently posted..Guest Post: Top 10 Food for Runners