11.11.11

by Meghann on November 11, 2011

Brrr…. it was chilly this morning.

Good thing my plans for the morning included a heated gym and a set of weights. πŸ™‚ I started with a quick 17 minute (1 mile) warm up walk on the treadmill, then completed Stage 4B of the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

As I move up in the stages of NROLFW, I’ve found the workouts are becoming longer and longer. I’m trying to stay focused on each task as it comes, so I don’t end up spending all morning at the gym, but it’s hard when my gym buddies are chatting up a storm. They’re really great people, but they sure LOVE to chat.

Do you enjoy to chat at the gym or do you mainly keep to yourself?

I’m all for making friends, but sometimes I’m in a get-in-get-out sort of mood and want to put my invisibility cloak on. Other times I’m usually the annoying one chatting. πŸ™‚

I kept it easy for breakfast.

A small bowl of plain greek yogurt topped with pumpkin butter, apple, and pumpkin spice granola.

It was a little cold for this bowl, so I paired it with a cup of extra hot tea to balance out the chills.

And on the side was a small slice of pumpkin beer bread with peanut butter and pumpkin butter.

I’m currently obsessing over my pumpkin butter. It’s just too good not to use in every meal. πŸ˜‰

Rock ‘n’ Roll on 11.11.11

Planning on signing up for a Rock ‘n’ Roll race in the near future? Well, today just might be the day you want to pull the registration trigger.

From 11am – 11pm PST Rock ‘n’ Roll is offering $20 off registration for (almost) all of their events. Pretty sweet, right?

I go back and forth on my love and hate for Rock ‘n’ Roll races (they’ve failed to impress me with either of the Rock ‘n’ Roll events I’ve done), but you can’t argue with convenience. The inaugural Rock ‘n’ Roll St. Pete Beach Half Marathon is coming on February 12th and the date, location, and price ($60 after today’s discount) are all too good of a combination to pass up. I’m all set to register when the clock strikes 11amPST(2pmEST) and look forward to training my booty off for a great race. My fingers are crossed they don’t disappoint!

1 Liz November 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’m more of a “keep to myself” kind of person at the gym, not because I’m not social, but because the gym is “me” time! I love to workout, so I like to get in my head, let the music roll and just go with it. That being said, there are some days I just can’t help to chat it up to my friends. Balance in everything πŸ™‚
Liz recently posted..Moderation

2 Lindsey November 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

I am not a chatter at all! Usually I have a one hour time frame to get in and out of the gym so I don’t have the time to chat! I usually keep my iPod in and that way people are less likely to start chatting with me! I kinda feel snobby sometimes but I am still friendly and just like to get my workout done and on my way!
Lindsey recently posted..Throwback

3 Tracey Leffler November 11, 2011 at 10:27 am

I usually try and keep to myself at the gym. I find that it’s one of the few times I can take for myself. This doesn’t always work and has resulted in some awkward gym experiences. I do find that if I have head phones in, I can keep to myself more.
Tracey Leffler recently posted..It’s Kind of Like Spring

4 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

I cram my weightlifting in as quickly as possible and try to avoid talking. Get in get out.

(that’s what she said)

(you didn’t think I was more mature than a 13 year old boy, right?)
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Christopher Elbow: Dark rocks

5 J November 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

you can actually sign up now at the reduced rate. no need to wait for 11am pst.

6 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 11, 2011 at 10:48 am

Ohhhhh I wish I had gym buddies! I guess we’re too big of a city and my gym is too big for that … I almost never see the same people there
Morgan @ Life After Bagels recently posted..I Forgot The Pain

7 Cait's Plate November 11, 2011 at 10:52 am

I’m definitely more of a “keep to myself” person. I tend to like to get in, do what I need to go and get out!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Maple-Bacon Belgian Waffles

8 Kelly November 11, 2011 at 10:57 am

Girl you are flying through that NROLFW! Can’t wait for the next recap (it keeps me motivated). I just started Stage 1 last week and am liking it so far. I hope I can stick with it and see results like you have.

I tend not to chat in the gym. I like to get there, do my workout, and leave to get on with my day. Sure, I’m not anti-social if someone does want to talk, but I rarely initiate it.

9 Faith @ For the Health of It November 11, 2011 at 10:57 am

I can handle a little small talk with some of the people I see regularly, but I usually would rather get in, out and on with my life. I always hate when I’m huffing and puffing on the treadmill and someone I know comes over to chat – dude, I hardly have enough air in my body right now to breathe, much less have a conversation…

10 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 11, 2011 at 11:27 am

I’m definitely more of a ‘keep to myself’ kind of gym goer.. The only exception would be when I attend classes sometimes.. Now I’m thinking about signing up for a race- i’m such a sucker for a discount.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Make a wish

11 Deva @ Deva by Definition November 11, 2011 at 11:53 am

I am not a chatter at the gym. I go in the morning and am on a very tight schedule or I am late for work, so I get in and get out as quickly as my planned workout will allow.
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..One Lazy Morning

12 Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real November 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I am taking advantage of the RNR special and registering for the Dallas half at the end of March. I have not ran a RNR event yet, but my husband and I are running the RNR Vegas half at the beginning of Dec. Since it is Vegas and on the strip at night, it should be a fun race. Good luck with your training, are you going for a 1:50 or 1:45 time for your next half?
Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real recently posted..Today Is My Birthday!

13 Meghann November 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I’m running Vegas too! But I’m not aiming for a 1:50 or 1:45 time for that half. I’ll aim for that time in St. Pete.

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

WHat a cool deal!! Wahoo!

Good luck with the training!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Oddities

15 Hilary November 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I just registered for the st pete Half on feb 12th too! My first half marathon. You wanna share your training plan with me? πŸ™‚

16 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal November 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Ok. You inspired me to do something crazy, when you posted on fbook about the St. Pete Rock n Roll: I signed up! My first 1/2 marathon! ahhhhhckkkkk! But I love (and miss) St. Pete far too much to turn down the opportunity!
Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal recently posted..Food and Wine 2011: The Do’s and Don’ts Edition

17 Laura November 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Going to register for RNR Seattle in a little over an hour. Next year I’ll be doing RNR Portland, RNR Seattle, and maybe RNR LV. So many races!
Laura recently posted..50 Little Things – Week 5

18 Melissa November 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I’m just a sucker for one-day sales (damn you groupon, rue la la, etc.!) and took advantage of this sale to sign up for my FIRST EVER RACE!! RNR Philly Half
So excited/nervous/anxious/shocked! (“I’m in a glass box of emotions!”)

19 meredith (pursuing balance) November 11, 2011 at 1:09 pm

if i’m working out outside, i don’t mind chatting with a friend. at the gym though, i just like to do my thing! the most annoying thing in miami was a group of women who would hog the treadmills, sometimes not even walking (just standing on them) or otherwise walking like 1.0 mph and just talking. so frustrating!

20 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm

i definitely keep to myself… gym time is me time. i even get annoyed when my husband tries to chat!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..matty’s cookies {chewy butter cookies}

21 Marlina November 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Gah, every time I see that pumpkin beer bread I drool a little! Looks so good, and I love how thick you cut the slices πŸ™‚ very nice
Marlina recently posted..5k Training and A Big Wet Spot

22 Amanda November 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Is that the pumpkin butter from TJ’s? I’ve been eating that straight from the jar. haha

I generally keep to myself at the gym, but I mostly take classes, so I suppose that’s a little social, but it’s not like you can chit chat during the classes. People who talk over the instructor really annoy me!
Amanda recently posted..Easy As (Pumpkin) Pie

23 Casey @ oatsandnanners November 11, 2011 at 7:59 pm

This post just prompted me to sign up for the San Diego Rock N’ Roll Marathon!!! MY FIRST EVER!!! I already have butterflies! Thanks for being such an inspiration πŸ™‚
Casey @ oatsandnanners recently posted..W.I.A.W.

24 Hillary November 11, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I am NOT a chatter at the gym. I want to get my workout done and over with and move on. Honestly. this is a weird change for me, because I’m usually a huge Chatty Cathy—just not when I’m on the treadmill ; )
Hillary recently posted..Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

25 Caroline November 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

Thanks for posting about the 11/11/11 deal! I forwarded this to a bunch of girls in my office and we are all going to run RNR St Pete. It’s my first… I’m so nervous + excited!