The Essentials

by Meghann on November 9, 2011

What would you purchase from Trader Joe’s if you had limited room in your suitcase and your next visit would’t be for months and months?

Me?

• Pumpkin Butter
  • Harvest Grain Medley
  • Seasonal Vanilla Cinnamon Black Tea
  • Pumpkin Spice Granola
  • And…..

Microwaveable packages of indian food.

Random. Totally random.

But, Trader Joe’s does make some pretty delicious convenient indian food, if I do say so myself. 😉

I heated the packet of Punjab Eggplant with some spinach and paired it with a whole wheat tortilla (aka cheap girl’s naan).

Trust me, it was good. 🙂

After lunch I pinned myself to a chair at Starbucks (I’m not sure why, but it’s easier to collect my thoughts here) and sipped on an iced coffee while getting work done.

At 3:00 I broke out an applesauce and granola for a snack.

My laptop battery is at 13%, which is my cue to pack up and take advantage of the SpaFinder gift card my mom gave me as a post-marathon treat. I’m thinking a pedicure is in order. My feet need it. Bad.

Later!

1 Johanna B November 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I’d never thought of putting granola in my applesauce. I love to put it in everything else, so why not? Thanks.
Johanna B recently posted..Things I’m lovin’ right now

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Haha I am so spoiled! I have a trader joe’s that is a half mile walk from my apartment! I used to have to take the bus a half hour downtown to get to one! LOVE it.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Just Another Manic Monday…

3 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine November 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I haven’t seen that at Trader Joe’s—I’ll check it out! I just did a post on all my fave TJ’s goodies, and the cinnamon vanilla black tea is one of them. 🙂 It’s so festive!

4 erica November 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm

i love trader joe’s instant coffee (is that weird?), so this strawberry walks into a bar, cookies, sunflower seed butter, and dog treats (my pup looooves them!).

i really wish trader joes would come to hawaii, because i’d love to try all the frozen and perishable stuff that i can’t pack 🙁
erica recently posted..professional wedding pics: getting ready & bridal party

5 wymberley November 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I have never been to Trader Joes. Whole foods is all I really know. Whole foods Austin is not just shopping, It’s an event! I have a 3 hour drive so I have to be logical in purchases too. Always finding new nut butters, seasonal beer, gu and clif shots, and I love to raid the dry goods bins in the produce section.
wymberley recently posted..Marathon Week Giveaway! Storage Cuff- Repost

6 Cait's Plate November 9, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Gah! Spa Finder gift cards are THE BEST! ENJOY 🙂
Cait’s Plate recently posted..One Bowl, Two Ways

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 9, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I am so happy that I have several Trader Joes locations to choose from – it’s my favorite! I actually just came back and picked up some of the pumpkin spice granola. (I already have the pumpkin butter and vanilla cinnamon tea in my cabinet). 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day

8 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 9, 2011 at 5:47 pm

pedicures are the most amazing post-marathon treat. i’m thinking of treating myself to one this weekend… and i didn’t even run a marathon!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..butternut squash quinoa cakes

9 Kate November 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm

It might not necessarily be months and months — the TJ’s in Naples is set to open before the end of the year (they’ve already hired a significant amount of people), and it looks like we’ll have more Florida locations before too long!
Kate recently posted..Inspiring Guitar Solo!

10 Amanda November 9, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I agree – their packaged foods are pretty decent. And you can’t beat the prices, at least where I live.

I am so going to seek out that vanilla cinnamon black tee the next time I’m at TJ’s. Sounds amazing!
Amanda recently posted..Rustic Tomato Stew

11 Army Amy* November 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I hope your feet enjoy the pampering!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Just when I thought I was out…

12 Sana November 9, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Nooo, you NEED to eat Naan!!!
Sana recently posted..Morning Workout

13 Emily November 9, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Trader Joe’s prepared foods are a cheap college kid’s gourmet.
Enjoy your spa treatment!
Emily recently posted..Let’s Talk Twilight

14 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 9, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Oh maaaan.. I’d purchase their Buried Treasure, salsa, super duper cheap Luna Bars, trail mix, fruit bars, flatbread… eh, okay, maybe I’d run out of room.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

15 Megan S November 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

1. Sunflower seed butter/ peanut butter with whole flax seeds
2. Olive oil. They have the best prices for the best quality for every day use!
3. Canned boneless skinless Alaskan salmon

If I could magically refrigerate also I would add Kerrygold Irish butter, frozen broccoli (most uniform florets I’ve found!) and low fat string cheese.

And the green beans that are already snapped for you:)

16 Julia @ The Bosky Blog November 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I would be loading up on all their various chocolates, I particularly love the sea salt dark chocolate bar!

I also would have to agree on the Indian food. Mmmmm

17 Michelle November 9, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Indian food is delicious but I much prefer going to a restaurant
Michelle recently posted..Choosing a Marathon

18 sarah (sarah learns) November 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm

i ate that eggplant dinner tonight! it IS delicious!

my trader joe’s essentials are mostly frozen or refrigerator items – that wouldn’t do very well in a suitcase!
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..#42

19 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler November 9, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I so wish I had a Trader Joe’s! There’s nothing even remotely close to a Trader Joe’s type of store around me!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..No More Lazy Half-Days

20 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups November 9, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I hate that there’s no Trader Joe’s in Florida! I’ve actually throught about what I’d buy if I had the chance, and I get way too overwhelmed, but I’m sure some chocolate would be involved!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Turkey Robinson

21 Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance November 9, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Yes, I love this eggplant! It’s spicy isn’t it? I love the palak paneer one too.
Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance recently posted..Butternuts

22 Sarah @ The Dirt Road Dreamer November 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm

The dark chocolate and sea salt covered almonds! And their red curry in a bottle, I love that stuff!

Oh Trader Joe’s
Sarah @ The Dirt Road Dreamer recently posted..Happy 236th Marines!