Mushroom Chicken

by Meghann on November 9, 2011

Dinner. Was. Good.

Chicken breast with a homemade mushroom gravy. Yum.

My inspiration for tonight’s meal came when I was casually flipping through the People magazine while getting my toes done. There was an ad for Campbell’s Soup ‘quick and easy mushroom chicken‘ for ‘dinner tonight’ and I thought it looked good. Why not try to re-create it at home on my own terms?

I started by sauteeing some mushrooms and onion

Then, once everything was soft, I added a couple of spoonfuls of flour to soak up any grease.

It only took a minute to looked like this.

Next, I added enough milk to cover the veggies

And seasoned with chili powder, garlic salt, oregano, and lots of salt and pepper.

I prefer my chicken breast cut in cubes, but you can use whole breasts too.

The chicken was added to the mushroom gravy and brought to an uncovered boil for 5-10 minutes

All that was left was to bring the temp back to low and let it thicken for 15 – 20 minutes

I served my portion over brown rice.

I probably could have let the ‘gravy’ thicken up a bit more, but I was hungry and impatient. It wasn’t the prettiest meal, but the flavor was spot on. There was lots of spice thanks to my desire to always add as much pepper as possible to any gravy I’m making.

Derek took one bite, looked at me, and said “Babe, this is good.” When I get a compliment before the meal is over, I know I have a winner. 🙂

On the side were some easy steam-in-a-bag brussels sprouts.

And just in case you were wondering…. the Publix Pumpkin Pie ice cream is quite possibly the BEST pumpkin ice cream I’ve ever had. I spontaneously brought home a container this evening and I’m so glad I did. The best bites were the ones with pieces of graham cracker crust. Holy yum.

The ice cream was the perfect answer for my slowly-getting-worse-as-the-day-progresses sore throat. Ugh. I thought it was gone, but it was only hibernating. Maybe more sleep will help?

Good Night!

1 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups November 9, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Looks like some great comfort food! I need to pick up some of that ice cream!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Turkey Robinson

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 9, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I STILL have not tried pumpkin ice cream or frozen yogurt! I need to make this happen ASAP!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Just Another Manic Monday…

3 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. November 9, 2011 at 10:40 pm

If I weren’t vegetarian, I’d totally be trying that chicken! I wonder how it’d work with tofu…
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..office supplies bring out my inner nerd.

4 Lindsey November 9, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I love Brussels spouts! But my hubby isn’t a fan so I don’t buy them too often. Your supper sounds delicious, I was lazy and made nachos tonight 😉 haha
Lindsey recently posted..Holiday Baking–Already?!

5 Katie @ Livehalffull November 9, 2011 at 10:58 pm

That meal looks good all around!!! Love pumpkin ice cream!
Katie @ Livehalffull recently posted..Wedding Wednesday

6 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT November 9, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Yummm! Pumpkin Ice Cream :))))
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Paleo Cranberry Apple Muffins

7 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine November 9, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Yuck—hate that sore throat feeling that won’t go away. Hope you feel better soon! Dinner looks great!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..5 New Favorites: Trader Joe’s Edition

8 Cat November 9, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I have the sore throat-itis too! It’s awful. Anyway, your dish looks yummy. I think I might try browning the chicken bits before adding to the gravy, think it would add nice texture to the chicken, etc.

9 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) November 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I haven’t found a good store-bought pumpkin ice cream yet! Have you ever had the pumpkin pie blizzard at Dairy Queen? I’ve never tried it but I just got a coupon for it, so I’m thinking I need to get one ASAP 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..WIAW (In My Car)

10 Michelle November 9, 2011 at 11:41 pm

When I grew up, my mom worked Saturdays so my dad would make mushroom soup for lunch. All the time. He wasn’t much of a cook, obviously. Now, I can’t stand mushrooms. Maybe it was overkill as a kid?
Michelle recently posted..Choosing a Marathon

11 Jessica November 10, 2011 at 12:06 am

I think you meant hibernating.

I forgot how much i like mushroom gravy. 🙂

12 Alaina November 10, 2011 at 12:20 am

I love it when meals come together like that! And I must find a publix so I can get that ice cream! 😛

Hope you feel better!
Alaina recently posted..Are You Ready for Some Football?

13 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 10, 2011 at 12:24 am

AHHH GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST. I die. Slash mushrooms make everything better, not gonna lie. Next time try adding spinach juuust at the end — sneaky way to get more veg!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Syracuse WIAW #1

14 M November 10, 2011 at 12:36 am

hibernating. in hiding.

15 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner November 10, 2011 at 2:42 am

I just finished off a quart of trader joes pumpkin ice cream, which was ah-mazing! I will send you some tj’s if you send me some of that publix?! 😉
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..wiaw + mackenna: 3 weeks

16 Cait @ Beyond Bananas November 10, 2011 at 6:26 am

I remember all the Campbells recipes from when I was younger!This looks great!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..I <3 Food

17 Hope November 10, 2011 at 7:54 am

This looks delicious! I love that you recreated a Campbell’s recipe. Chicken and mushrooms work so well together. 🙂
Hope recently posted..Some Of My November Loves…

18 Amanda November 10, 2011 at 8:40 am

There’s only one cure for a sore throat…more ice cream! 😉
Amanda recently posted..Rustic Tomato Stew

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 10, 2011 at 9:24 am

I LOVE pumpkin ice cream!! SO good.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Inside An Anorexic’s Mind