more ยป" />

I run for the shirt

by Meghann on November 9, 2011

Good Morning!

I woke up feeling a million times better than yesterday. My sore throat? Gone! I think all the gargling of hot salt water and constant intake of Airborne and green tea really made a difference. My throat is good, my body temperature is in check, and I woke up ready to tackle my first post-marathon run since Savannah.

I took Maddie out for the easy 3 miler and let her guide the way. She was, of course, going crazy with excitement over the possibility of running and it’s hard for that same excitement not to rub off on everyone around her. We kept the pace in check and did a simple out and back.

My legs felt great. No pain, no weird twinges, and no tightness. I have the Vegas half marathon coming up in less than a month and I think I’m ready to start easing my way into training for it. It’s a night run, which means some night training will be in order, but I’ll get to that as it comes.

I wore my new Savannah Marathon shirt out for the run and was surprised how comfortable it was and how well it fit.

IMG_1079.jpg IMG_1080.jpg

Be warned if you ever run a Rock ‘n’ Roll race that the Brooks women specific tech tees run a tad on the small side. I ordered a small and the length was a little short (that’s with my short torso too). Fortunately I prefer shorter cut shirts (longer shirts look odd on my short frame, which is why my biggest gripe with Lululemon shirts is how long they are), but if I did prefer longer or was any taller, the shirt wouldn’t have worked. The rest of the cut was great and really comfy.

If I was being nit-picky I wish there would have been a difference in the half marathon and marathon shirts. Maybe a different color?

After my run I pulled out left overs of yesterday’s pumpkin beer bread out for breakfast.

Two thin slices of pumpkin beer bread smeared with honey peanut butter, pumpkin butter, ground flax, and raisins.

With a side of pear.

What do you look for in a good race shirt? Gender specific cut? Tech tee? Long sleeves?

I keep waiting for a race that gives out good tanks tops, but I haven’t seen on yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Emily Casey (@EmilyCaseysMuse) November 9, 2011 at 9:00 am

Thank you for this post. I’m sick and coming off a running break (to avoid injury) and I’m getting into that I-don’t-wanna-run funk. This post reminded me that I love running and it actually does feel good, but only if I do it.

I look for a long t-shirt, since I’m 6’1” and have a long torso, and when I can get it, I love the special tech material that wicks moisture.

I have a 15k in a couple weeks that I’m hoping to be ready for, and then my first marathon in March!

Thanks again for the motivation.

2 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 9, 2011 at 9:04 am

I’m the total opposite! I am tall with a long torso as well, so I NEED long shirts. I hate the tech shirts that are so short ๐Ÿ™

Your b-fast looks yummy!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On : The Plank

3 lynne @lgsmash November 9, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’m tall (5’11”) and have a long torso too – my biggest grip about race shirts (RnR included) is that to get a shirt that’s long enough, the shirt is usually too wide/baggy for me to wear! I’ve started just getting a men’s shirt for my guy to wear instead. At least someone benefits! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

Two of Derek’s favorite shirts are unisex tech tees from races I’ve done. I have the same philosophy – if the shirt isn’t going to fit me, someone better get some use out of it!

5 Lindsey November 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

Gender specific for sure! If not they are always way too big! I also like when the are tech material of some sort and not just cotton.
Lindsey recently posted..Finding Motivation

6 Cait's Plate November 9, 2011 at 9:10 am

I definitely tend to like more gender specific – I like a smaller fit and I tend to like scoop or v-necks rather than crew cut. Ultimately though if it’s a shirt that signifies an important event I’m going to love it no matter what it looks like ๐Ÿ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..One Bowl, Two Ways

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 9, 2011 at 9:11 am

LOL I’m the complete opposite when it comes to shirts – I NEED length! I just blogged about the Lululemon Spin Me tank and how perfect it is because it fits longer than the other ones like the Power Y etc.. I love it!!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 82

8 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 9, 2011 at 9:15 am

opposite of you, being 6′ tall, it needs to be Loooooooong. Also, if I am running 26.2, please differentiate between that and 13.1.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..A Lunchladyโ€™s Homicidal Tendencies.

9 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 11:20 am

For realz! I want to wear the shirt and have everyone know I ran the full, I also wouldn’t want to be mistaken for the full if I ran the half. At least the medals had different color themes.

10 Victoria November 9, 2011 at 9:16 am

Did you know Lululemon does free alterations? At least the WP store did. Not sure if they still do that now that they are at Millenia. I have the same problem that you do; their shirts are very long on me, and that is just not flattering.
Victoria recently posted..Splat!

11 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

Short sisters unite! No one ever told me that Lululemon alters, but the girl below just left a similar comment. I’m considering taking my spin top in the next time I’m in Orlando and see if they’ll still hem it. Life would be so much easier if I was just a couple inches taller.

12 Genna November 9, 2011 at 9:18 am

Hey! I work at a lululemon in Minnesota and I don’t know if anyone ever told you this, but you can get the tanks hemmed at lululemon and it should be complimentary. Same thing with pants and other items (depending on the style, but most things can be hemmed). I’m short so I have to get everything hemmed!

13 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

I did not know that! No one has ever told me! I’ll have to look into that next time I go. I really love the spin top I just got, but it’s sooooooo long that it looks awkward on my middle section. Can I bring stuff back that I’ve already purchased to be hemmed?

14 Genna November 9, 2011 at 10:07 am

Yes! At any time and to any lululemon. You don’t need to worry about the receipt. The spin me tank is awesome- if you like that you should see if your store still has the Turbo Tank. Another one of my favs! I wear it for everything.

15 SkinnyRunner November 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

i got a small too and honestly i dont even think i can wear it, it looks so small.

16 Jen November 9, 2011 at 9:24 am

I HATE how long lulu shirts are. My legs become instant stumps and I shrink three inches. I feel the average female is prob moreso less than 5’5 so it would be cool if they represented the majority sometimes. Do a review of your marathon outfit I’m interested because I order only online so I go always by reviews. Congrats on the marathon!

17 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

I promise to have the review up soon. A couple commenters above said Lululemon alters shirts if you bring them in store, so I may do that first.

18 Carissa November 9, 2011 at 9:27 am

Me = obsessed with long LuLuLemon shirts because I have one of the world’s longest torso’s! I just wish I could afford them more. I always balk at uber expensive workout clothes. I feel guilty….
Carissa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Hemp Protein

19 Heather November 9, 2011 at 9:28 am

I’m the opposite- I hate shot shirts, and the tech tees never seem to fit. I hate always having to tug my shirt down!

20 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life November 9, 2011 at 9:30 am

I love tech tee’s, but I try not to be too picky! I love ALL my race shirts. I am total nerd and love to wear them post race!

21 claire @ the realistic nutritionist November 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

I love that t-shirt!! All of your amazing marathon running has me really needing to run. Like, even just a mile or something. haha. I’m so glad you love that bread, it’s one of my favorites too!!
claire @ the realistic nutritionist recently posted..Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes

22 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 9, 2011 at 9:34 am

I’m the opposite of you, I love long shirts! I think that’s why I love lululemon stuff so much. I actually just gave away 4 workout shirts because they’re too short. I feel super frumpy when they fall right at my waist.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin chocolate cake with pumpkin frosting & Chickbands giveaway winners!

23 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 11:23 am

Next time send the workout shirts to me! ๐Ÿ™‚

24 mary November 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

I have a long torso too, I prefer shirts with more length because they just ride up anyway. When I was younger, I used to have my dance costumes specially made for me because my torso was so long. I’m only 5’5! Too bad my legs are like stumps haha! (thanks dad) ๐Ÿ˜‰
mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Corn and Bean Salsa

25 Carly November 9, 2011 at 9:53 am

I have one race shirt tank top/singlet from when I ran RnR VA Beach through the American Cancer Society. ACS actually sent me a few shirts, a regular tech tee, a regular tee, and then when I picked up my race packet I also received a tech-style singlet. I was very skeptical since I normally don’t love tanktops, but it’s the most comfortable warm weather running shirt I have.

(Granted, you’d need to do a charity run to get one…but it’s worth it!)
Carly recently posted..Gear Deal: Save 40% on Philips.com

26 Army Amy* November 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

I like long sleeved shirts or colored ones. Most of the races I run give out whit short sleeved shirts. I crave variety!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Just when I thought I was outโ€ฆ

27 Cheryl November 9, 2011 at 10:11 am

Gender Specific, unisex style the sleeves come to my elbows!

As far as holiday runs: Time Turkey Trot in Clearwater is a great way to start your Thanksgiving morning, 5k and a 10k – may people dress up for this one.
Jingle Bell run in downtown St Pete is an awesome evening 3 miler with luminaries along the route, and bands playing Christmas tunes, starts and ends at the Pier. A lot of dressing up for this one, and it’s DOG FRIENDLY : )

28 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 11:24 am

I’m thinking about the St Pete race, I just wish it wasn’t on a weeknight so Derek could come too! ๐Ÿ™‚

29 Laura November 9, 2011 at 10:11 am

I LOVE race shirts! I agree that I like it when there are 2 different shirts for the different events. I did an event where the half marathon is the main event and there is a smaller 10k. I did the 10k. The shirt says in huge letters “HELVETIA HALF MARATHON” and in small letters beneath it “10k”. Anytime I wear the shirt people ask me if I ran it and I feel weird saying “no, I ran the 10k. See the tiny writing on my boob?” Ok, I don’t add the last part.

I usually get a large in my race shirts. I’d rather that they be a little big that too small. I don’t need to run in a belly shirt.
Laura recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

30 Amanda November 9, 2011 at 10:44 am

Your breakfast photos are so vibrant today!

I also have a short torso and find the lululemon tops to be a little long, but I always appreciate them during a workout because they don’t ride up. Nothing more annoying than pulling my shirt down constantly during a workout!
Amanda recently posted..Veggie Galaxy Diner & Vegan Bakery

31 Jess November 9, 2011 at 10:50 am

I’m envious – I ran the Rock n Roll halves in Chicago and Philly this year, and they didn’t have gender specific shirts.

32 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 11:25 am

They didn’t? Maybe it’s new. I know when I registered for Las Vegas the registration page asked for gender specific sizing.

33 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 9, 2011 at 11:05 am

i look for something unique. i swear, i have 300 crew neck cotton tees… i’m bound to give it away if there’s one more in my race bag. long sleeved are great, tech tees are awesome. just something different!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..butternut squash quinoa cakes

34 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

Make a race quilt with them! I had one made of all my old cotton race tees and I love it! ๐Ÿ™‚ http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/08/27/memory-blanket/

35 Devon @FastFoodie November 9, 2011 at 11:11 am

I love Lulu gear because it is so long, so I guess I am the opposite. I am 6 feet tall and have a long torso so Brooks shirts always end up being half shirts on me. And getting a larger size doesn’t always work because I end up swimming in it for the length to be right. I think they should make shirts in short and tall like pants ๐Ÿ™‚
Devon @FastFoodie recently posted..ING NYC Marathon race report

36 wymberley November 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

my race is this weekend (SA rock n roll) do you know if you can switch sizes at the pick-up? I want to wear this shirt so bad!
wymberley recently posted..Pfall Pfotos

37 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 11:32 am

From the comments I read on the Rock n Roll Savannah Facebook page, they’re not great about letting you change sizes. ๐Ÿ™ You might want to send an email and head to the expo early to test your luck that way.

38 Laura November 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

Lululemon offers complimentary hemming on everything! Take those tops in and get them hemmed!
Laura recently posted..Interview with workisnotajob. Creator Catharina Burns

39 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 11:33 am

A couple of other mentioned that up above! I’m taking my new top into the showroom tomorrow to see if I can still get it hemmed! Fingers crossed. ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Mary @ food and fun on the run November 9, 2011 at 11:18 am

Thanks for the heads up on the shirt! I am running a RNR in Nashville, and they have Brooks as well (obvi). I will be going up to a medium for sure with my long torso!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..The 2011 Tampa Bay Heart Walk

41 Lee November 9, 2011 at 11:24 am

I feel like so many race shirts are shaped like an upside down triangle if that makes any sense. They’re always really roomy in the chest (and I’m like a C-D cup) and really tight in the hips. Not flattering!
Lee recently posted..In the Doghouse

42 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs November 9, 2011 at 11:28 am

I was wondering (and hoping!) if the shirt would fit. Glad it does. Of course, you are tiny and I am a giant amazon! I ened up getting the women’s L and fits nicely. Thankfully I didn’t specify a size because they were being crazy strict about it!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Life Goes On…

43 Britt @ Run with Britt November 9, 2011 at 11:32 am

I love race shirts, except when they are “women’s tees”. I have a abnormally long torso (which I love), but it makes women’s shirts fit awkwardly on me. I would much rather have a guys T or a long sleeved shirt.

44 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 9, 2011 at 11:38 am

Hmmm I’ve never gotten a tech tee so that would be pretty cool in my opinion. Really I just like simple and good colors.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Just Another Manic Mondayโ€ฆ

45 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 9, 2011 at 11:41 am

The last race shirt I got was amazing! It wasn’t a normal T..but made out of polyester I think? Or whatever they make underarmour shirts out of.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..New Rules of Lifting- Beginning

46 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 9, 2011 at 11:45 am

I noticed that the shirts were a tad short. I got a large and it fits me perfect! I am so glad that I ordered a size up verses the medium that I normally order.
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..To Plan Or Not To Plan?

47 Elizabeth November 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

I love long sleeves! I have so many cotton short sleeves that it is almost annoying. This past fall I ran in a 1/2 and they gave out Nike Running. They ran so small that I can’t even wear it :(. And I loved the colors and designs of the shirt so it was really disappointing when I went to put it on.

48 Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle November 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

I ran the Philly Rock and Roll Half and my shirt is huge! I got a small (and I’m definitely not considered petite) and its bigger than I thought it’d be and long. But it is however very comfortable!
Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle recently posted..Amusing and Eventful Morning

49 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Was it a Brooks gender specific shirt?! Someone had commented above that the Philly RnR shirts were big too.

50 Heather @ Better With Veggies November 9, 2011 at 12:01 pm

What a cute shirt! I love when races do a gender-specific shirt, as I’m also pretty short and the length makes a big difference. I’m thinking of doing the Mardi Gras marathon in April, which is part of the RnR series, so I’m hoping that shirt is a cute one like yours. ๐Ÿ™‚
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: 4th Edition

51 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Loved this title. I swear I will do just about anything for a tshirt, lol. I like mine short sleeved. I tend to wear mine to either bed or working out and I don’t like the long sleeves for that.

52 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm

That’s a super cute race shirt! I rarely get any that fit so well.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..my pregnancy: week 11

53 Mimi November 9, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I really don’t like gender-specific cuts. I am tall, so the women’s fit are ALWAYS short on me. It seems as though the only difference between small and large is the width!

I ran the Lincoln Half-Marathon last year and they had gender-specific shirts. The men’s were nice looking and the women’s were trash. They didn’t even give us an option! ):
Mimi recently posted..Worth Talking About Wednesday: DIY Infinity Scarf

54 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane November 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm

What a great design!!! I love the shirt ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve had some issues with race t-shirts in the past. Sometimes the small is still really big so I tried ordering a large youth size and that was too square, I mean the proportions just looked really odd. So now I just have to deal with having small race shirts that may be too big from time to time. It all depends on what type of t-shirt they use because they’re not all TTS (true to size).
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..What it means to Hit The Road Jane..or Jack

55 Jessica November 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm

My favorite shirt came from this race: http://www.pbhalf.com/. It’s actually odd because I normally like the tech tees that are gender specific but this one is a breathable cotton material and it just fits perfectly. I like the shirt you got from the SM. My Chicago Marathon shirt from 2010 also fits me kind short even with my short torso. It sucks.
Jessica recently posted..Finally some perspective!

56 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 1:15 pm

That’s funny because my 10-10-10 Chicago Marathon shirt is my favorite race shirt of all time. Just goes to show how different everyone’s body types are.

57 Theodora November 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm

What kind of shorts are those? They’re cute!
Theodora recently posted..How Did You Shave 40 Minutes Off Your Marathon Time, and What’s Next?

58 Meghann November 9, 2011 at 1:16 pm

They’re Lululemon! I think they’re two years old now.

59 Kimra November 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I’m glad I know that about the Brooks shirts — I got a large at my first RNR last year, but it wasn’t gender-specific and I was swimming in it! I was going to size down for South Beach but I have another Brooks tech shirt that’s a large, so I guess I’ll keep it as-is. At San Jose they let you swap sizes, but only if you went to a special booth *after* the race.

The first race shirt I ever actually ran in (vs. slept in!) is a Nike DriFit cotton one (not the silkier material, but still tech), and I adore it. I would buy a zillion shirts in that fabric but I don’t think it’s too common anymore.
Kimra recently posted..Good Olโ€™ Meatballs

60 Heather November 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Gender specific cut all the way! Nothing worse than getting a dude size shirt when I thought I was going to get one that fit nicely.
Heather recently posted..Foodie Fridayโ€“Runnerโ€™s World Muffins

61 Heather November 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I got my first gender specific shirt at rnr. St Louis. I was bummed out because I have a longer torso so the small is too short but medium too baggy. Ug!
The first year I ran rnr Mardi Gras they had different shirts for the half and full marathon. Competitor is just cheap. They had different medals too now they just usually change the color of the ribbon

62 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm

ugh so many tech tees and race tees here ins Australia are TINY!!! I normally have to order one two sizes bigger than normal!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Spam funnies and speedy dinners

63 Hillary November 9, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Race shirts are my jam: I like short sleeves, tech material, and definitely gender specific. Oh, and a fun color!
Hillary recently posted..Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

64 Sophie November 9, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love short sleeves, well fitting shirts – that one looks great!
Sophie recently posted..The Day I Learned How To Spell My Middle Name.

65 Alli Mowrey October 22, 2012 at 8:49 pm

The pumpkin bread looks delicious!