more ยป" />

Bring on the soup

by Meghann on November 8, 2011

Comfort food was on the menu for dinner tonight. All I wanted was a big bowl of soup and hunk of bread to go with it.

The soup was of the butternut squash variety.

• butternut squash
  • parsnip
  • carrot
  • apple
  • chicken stock
  • ricotta
  • brown sugar
  • oregano
  • salt
  • pepper

I usually add vegetable broth to soup, but chicken stock was all we had on hand. I’m not sure how much I enjoyed the chicken stock flavoring in the soup, it was a little too ‘chicken noodle’ for my taste. The ricotta, however, was a nice creamy addition once everything was blended.

Warm and comforting – perfect fix for a sore throat.

On the side I made a batch of pumpkin beer bread with a smear of pumpkin butter.

Derek wasn’t as impressed with the beer bread as I was, but I thought it was pretty good.

Earlier I snacked on some popcorn.

And I had a chocolate bar for dessert.

Derek and I were discussing my trip to Los Angeles and while I was trying to explain to him where I was in the city, I kept making references to the movie ‘Volcano.’ Turns out those references were pointless because he had never seen the movie.

What? Never seen Volcano?!

Thank goodness for Netflix instant play!

volcano_ver2.jpg

We immediately fixed that problem.

When he first asked me what the movie was about – and I told him it was about a volcano erupting in the middle of downtown Los Angeles – he kind of looked at me funny, but I think he enjoyed it. The storyline is a tad ridiculous, but it’s a good movie.

Derek also told me he has never seen Dante’s Peak. I’ve already requested we watch that tomorrow.

Good Night!

1 Kaitlin November 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm

The soup looks good, but the pumpkin bread looks better!! Definitely have to try it.

Also Dante’s Peak is a classic. Hope he enjoys it!
Kaitlin recently posted..Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Week 10

2 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm

that soup looks great! definitely a warm, comforting meal.

hm…never heard of that movie! looks entertaining though ๐Ÿ˜€
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Blog Changes

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I’ve never heard of that movie either! Haha could be amusing though. And that bread looks sooo good!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..New Breakfast Flavors

4 Army Amy* November 8, 2011 at 10:11 pm

“Look at their faces. They all look the same.” Clearly I’m a Volcano fan! Sounds like a nice evening!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Walk the Line

5 Alexa @ SimpleEats November 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’ve never seen either of those movies, either! Guess I’m living under a rock!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Baby Come Back

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 8, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I liked Dante’sPeak–it was a good one!!

i made an easy butternut squash soup this week too-recipe is up right now. OH so delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

Goodnight!

7 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 8, 2011 at 10:23 pm

there is nothing better than soup and a hunk of bread. especially when you’re feeling under the weather! love these throw it in a pot, blend it and call it soup recipes!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..to a crisp.

8 Chloe November 8, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Like this soup I been try this before along with bread..The chocolate is new for me I want to try it!Looking forward to see some other soup recipe..
Chloe recently posted..Cellulite on stomach – How to get rid of it?

9 Laura November 8, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I used to watch Dante’s Peak all the time. Honestly, I think it was just because they referenced Portland in it. And I really wanted to be a volcanologist after seeing it.

I think I’m going to have to try making that soup! I’m on a huge soup kick, but because I’m lazy it is more of the campbells variety.
Laura recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

10 Helen November 9, 2011 at 1:03 am

Are those raisins in your soup?

11 Liz November 9, 2011 at 4:28 am

I’m not a big Volcano fan, but I love Dante’s Peak (of course, I also love Pierce Brosnan ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

12 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups November 9, 2011 at 6:45 am

Love Dante’s Peak! I love all disaster movies. They’re so cheesy but so great.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Breakfast salad

13 Hope November 9, 2011 at 7:41 am

There is nothing better than a bowl of soup and some bread on the side when you aren’t feeling well. I hope you start feeling better soon! ๐Ÿ™‚ The soup and bread look delicious!
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Meet My Bridesmaidsโ€ฆ

14 Amanda November 9, 2011 at 8:09 am

I love that you added a few raisins to your soup. I’ve been doing that recently and it’s a great mix of salty and sweet. Yum!

Never seen Volcano, but I bet my husband would like it. ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Vikki November 9, 2011 at 10:19 am

My mom loves disaster movies more than any other kind of movie. She also like Bruce Willis films. Apparently, he’s her favorite actor. My mom is weird. That being said, Volcano and Dante’s Peak are both fun movies. Dante’s Peak is better than Volcano, I think.

16 Alaina November 9, 2011 at 10:21 am

Is it so weird that I loved that movie? And I’m a big fan of Dante’s Peak. ๐Ÿ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Are You Ready for Some Football?

17 Stephanie November 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Oh, Volcano – how can you go wrong with Tommy Lee Jones!? (I also had a theory that year that every movie concept had to be done twice – once super-dramatically and once scientifically lol).