Stretch It Out

by Meghann on November 7, 2011

After a whirlwind week of visiting my brother in Los Angeles, hanging out with the folks at Dole in Northern Malibu, and running the Savannah Marathon, it felt so good to sleep in my own bed last night with my own pillows, my boyfriend, and my dog. Maddie hasn’t left my side since I’ve walked in the door and I think I’ve traumatized her into thinking that next time I might leave for good.

Don’t worry girl, mama is right here. 🙂

Thanks to the time change, I felt like I was sleeping in this morning when my alarm went off at 7:00. I took advantage of all the extra light outside and took Maddie for a mile walk around the neighborhood.

When I returned I spent 15 minutes really stretching my legs out. I’m going to try and take a gentle yoga class this afternoon to really open my hips up. They’re extra tight right now and in need of some TLC.

Besides my tight hips, the rest of my body is recovering just fine. I’m still high on my runner’s high and contemplating signing up for my next marathon sooner rather than later. I forgot how much I LOVE marathons. I missed that high you feel from finishing and just want to experience that over and over again. I had burnt out on marathons last fall, but I think I’m ready to really jump back into training and accomplish something amazing. 😉

After my stretches I had a big bowl of cereal with ricotta and apple.

• 1/2 cup Cinnamon Life
  • 1/2 cup Cocoa Brown Rice Crispies
  • 1/4 cup Good Run Granola
  • Ricotta
  • Apple
  • Pumpkin Butter
  • Cinnamon

According to the nutritionist I spoke with last week, I need to cut back on the carbs in the morning and amp up the protein, but I wasn’t quite ready to make that switch this morning. Maybe I’ll just cut back my daily cereal bowls to twice a week and focus on high protein breakfasts the other days of the week. Give and take, right? 😉

I have a TON of work to catch up on.

Have a great Monday everyone!!

1 Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it November 7, 2011 at 9:56 am

I think it’s hard to listen to an RD sometimes. I don’t doubt there education but everyone is different and everyone’s body is different. You know your body and you know how to loose weight (as you have) and I truly believe you have to do what’s right for you. I was told by a nutritionsist I needed to do this/that and whsatever to loose weight and I basically starved myself with this diet but didn’t loose a pound. Recently I was diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance and dropped 4.2 poinds in a week. My body was hating me for eating Gluten!
Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it recently posted..weekend recap

2 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 7, 2011 at 10:02 am

If I don’t start the morning with protein AND carbs, I am one grouchy woman. I need the combo!! Oh, and coffee.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Daylight Savings Can Eat My Scones.

3 Aine @ Something to Chew Over November 7, 2011 at 10:05 am

I need protein and carbs too! Oatmeal made with milk and topped with fruit and nuts is the best of both worlds 🙂
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Carrot Cake Cookies

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 7, 2011 at 10:10 am

I think you’ll notice a big difference when you start amping up your morning protein. I do my workouts in the wee hours of the morning and I have a smoothie with protein in it almost every day…. it’s amazing how much stronger I feel than if I had a more carb-heavy breakfast. Congrats on your race! 🙂
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Out and About

5 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

walking, stretching + yoga are post-marathon necessities!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..sour cream blueberry bundt cake

6 Britt @ runwithbritt November 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

Congratulations on a great race! You had such a busy week, taking it easy sounds like just what you need!

7 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) November 7, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’ve been trying to eat more protein in the mornings, but I love oatmeal, so I could never give up carbs for breakfast!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Why Count Calories?

8 Cait's Plate November 7, 2011 at 10:54 am

Good luck with the work catch up! It’s the only bummer about coming home from a trip!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Make Your Monday

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 7, 2011 at 11:30 am

Haha it’s all about balance! I try to get the best of both worlds by adding an egg or protein powder to my oatmeal. Although my nutritionist told me to eat more carbs!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Christmas Pear Oatmeal

10 Carly November 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

I hear you on the tight legs and hips. I need to do a good yoga class sometime soon. I haven’t been yoga-ing in far too long! Congrats on the RnR marathon!
Carly recently posted..Music Monday

11 Coco November 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Poor Maddi! Not that I run, but I’ve been dealing with super tight hips myself- ever since I injured my IT band this summer.. it just hasn’t been the same.. But I’m a slacker when it comes to stretching- i should probably get on that.
Coco recently posted..Monday means back at the gym

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 7, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I am definitely a ‘protein in my breakfast’ eater. I need it, crave it, love it.

Have a good stretch tonight!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..A Rule For More Muscle

13 Emily November 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I am a huge protein at breakfast gal. my only carbs usually come from 1/2 cup old fashioned oats. then i have eggs, protein powder and a teeny bit of nut butter. You get used to it, so good luck making the switch!
Emily recently posted..NoJoMo–Day 6

14 mel November 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Just add a greek yogurt or an egg or some protein powder. Still have the cereal bc carbs are great for you too! And make sure you are getting fat in too! I also think weight training is key! I know you love running but too much running and not enough lifting can make your muscles “mushy”. haha

15 Ann@anntics November 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm

So I am just wondering, but what type of dog is Maddie? She looks like a Jack Russell. I have a Jack Russell and I take her jogging with me a lot. I read your race recap of running on halloween and that it was so cool that you went running with her. Congrats on finishing the marathon!!

16 SB November 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I disagree with the dietician–with your activity level carbs are important! Adding a 2% greek yogurt would give you 20g of protein, added much needed fat and balance the whole meal so you’ll stay full longer. I’m always suspicious when an “RD” tells an active person to decrease carbohydrates (the poor maligned, misunderstood carbohydrate!) as opposed to adding protein and fat.

17 Sophie November 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Awwww, it’s so cute that Maddie has missed you that much!
Sophie recently posted..The Day I Learned How To Spell My Middle Name.