Compromised Immune System

by Meghann on November 7, 2011

I’m sick. πŸ™

All those facts and figures we learned on Thursday about marathoners and compromised immune systems? Totally legit. I woke up with a sore throat and have had the sweats all day. I knew I should have loaded up on some quercetin starting three weeks before race day. Dang it.

At least my post-marathon hunger is still going strong.

This afternoon I pulled out one of the new Dole Fruit Crisps that I brought home from the Dole Health Summit last week.

It’s an interesting concept. Basically you place the bottom portion of the pre-packaged crisp (with the fruit and syrup) in the microwave for 30 seconds, then add the oat topping when it’s done.

I also added a tiny spoonful of peanut butter to give the snack a little stick-to-your-bones staying power.

Eh. It was ok. The syrup enclosed fruit on the bottom was a little bland for me. I much prefer microwaving fresh apple pieces with cinnamon and topping that with granola. Same concept, just fresher results.

My plan was to try a new hot yoga studio this evening, but I was already sweating on my own in my air conditioned house, so that wasn’t happening. Instead I planted myself in a Starbucks and didn’t budge for 4 hours. I would have stayed longer too if the sun hadn’t already gone down. I love the extra light in the morning, but could go without the early nightfall. πŸ™

I had no clue what to make for dinner when I finally made it home. I stood in front of the fridge for a good ten minutes, picking up this and that, before settling on some chicken breasts. I took the largest breast, chopped it in little pieces, marinated it in some salsa, dumped it in a frying pan on the stove, and called it dinner.

The chicken joined some spinach, barley, olives, snap peas, and a sprinkling of cheese.

Done.

This afternoon I received the sweetest package from a reader in the UK who had volunteered for the Liverpool Marathon the other month and wanted to send me a shirt as inspiration for my training.

Running a marathon in a different country ranks high on my bucket list. Maybe the Liverpool Marathon is where it’s at? πŸ˜‰

What country would be your dream country to complete a marathon in?! My friends and I also joke about doing Ironman 2013 in New Zealand. Gotta love a good pipe dream. πŸ™‚

My UK friend also sent chocolate.

Yum! πŸ™‚

Good Night !

1 Alexa @ SimpleEats November 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Hope you feel better…rest up, girly!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Game Changer

2 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm

ugh. being sick is the worst. especially when you’re dealing with post race soreness on top of it. sorry you’re not feeling well πŸ™ drink lots of fluids and load up on vitamin c!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..cheese face.

3 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I want to do the Kenai River marathon in Alaska. It just looks so beautiful, and so different from NYC. Feel better. eat some chicken soup. (chicken soup and apples are PROVEN cold healers)
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Moustached Men and Their Nuts.

4 Sana November 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I think it’s a good idea to run an out of country race! You don’t have to worry about missing the office since you can work where ever!
Sana recently posted..A Mother’s Request

5 Bobbi November 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm

ya, every time I do a marathon I always have the sniffles….rest up sweet girl! Missed you this weekend it just wasn’t the same without you!
Bobbi recently posted..FoodBuzz Festival 2011 Part I

6 Meghann November 8, 2011 at 10:06 am

It looks like you guys had fun! Next time!!

7 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs November 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I’m sick too. Blah. Feel better soon!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Rock n’ Roll Savannah Marathon Recap

8 Christine @ BookishlyB November 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I loved Italy and imagine that running through Rome would be awesome. But maybe somewhere green and chilly like Ireland?
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Haters Gonna Hate

9 Army Amy* November 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Berlin is numero uno on my list! Although, my hubsns just sent me a link to the Polar Circle Marathon! Tempting!*
Army Amy* recently posted..NYD Training: T-Minus 8 Weeks

10 Cristina November 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm

That is a cool shirt! How sweet!!! I would LOOOOOOOVEEEEEE to run Paris! It’s my favorite city in the world.

11 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Sorry you’re sick! πŸ™ Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Good to know the Dole Apple Crisps weren’t too exciting. I was super close to buying some at the store, but now I’m glad I didn’t.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..One Of Those Days

12 Mandy November 7, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I’m in NZ, if you’re ever in the country hit me up!

13 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Oh honey, feel better soon.

Bet the chocolate upped the spirit πŸ™‚
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Oh! Pumpkin

14 TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching November 7, 2011 at 11:18 pm

sorry to hear about you being sick

definitely would not put a plastic dole cup in the microwave D:

15 Meghann November 8, 2011 at 10:07 am

I wouldn’t put a normal Dole fruit cup in the microwave, but the fruit crisp has a special microwave safe plastic bottom that is meant to be microwaved. πŸ™‚

16 TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching November 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

that is awesome haha

17 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) November 8, 2011 at 12:00 am

I would love to do the Antarctica marathon! It would be so cool to do a marathon in every continent πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Veggie Meat!

18 michelle November 8, 2011 at 12:27 am

We just moved to Germany in Sept from the USA (we’ll be here at least 3 years) and I have SO MANY marathons in Europe I want to run. London, Rotterdam, Luxembourg, Rome, Barcelona…. this could get expensive.
michelle recently posted..When the Husband is Gone…

19 Meghann November 8, 2011 at 10:08 am

Jealous! I would be the same way. πŸ™‚

20 Christie November 8, 2011 at 12:48 am

I’m a New Zealander – you should totally do the ironman here!! I’ve heard it is amazing! (I love when I see mention of NZ on my favourite blogs πŸ™‚ we seem so small and insignificant that it is just so exciting!)

I would love to run NYC. And Boston, one day. My boyfriends aunt and uncle did the trip from NZ to run NYC last weekend! Seriously cool.

Mandy – cool that your from NZ too! Where are you based?
Christie recently posted..A whirlwind week.

21 Candice November 8, 2011 at 1:36 am

SO SORRY your sick!!.. hot soup and extra cuddling. Hopefully your body kicks it quick!! Good job on your marathon again. Your a rockstar
Candice recently posted..Tasty Tilapia

22 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups November 8, 2011 at 6:49 am

My cousin and his fiancΓ© spontaneously decided to run the Amsterdam half marathon while over there on vacation. It was their first time running a race in kilometers!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Breakfast salad

23 Meghann November 8, 2011 at 10:09 am

I think the kilometers would definitely throw me off.

24 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

I think I’d be happy with 1. completing ANY marathon, and 2. doing it in ANY country! I’ve actually only been to the bahamas and british virgin islands… so basically I haven’t really left the US. I’d go anywhere!!!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Christmas Pear Oatmeal

25 Hope November 8, 2011 at 7:24 am

Aw, I’m sorry that you aren’t feeling well! Get well soon! Get lots of rest and drinks plenty of fluids.
Hope recently posted..Make New Friends But Keep The Old…

26 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run November 8, 2011 at 7:44 am

Aww, I’m sorry you’re sick. Wasn’t it you that was saying something this weekend about how marathoners often get sick after a race? I think you jinxed yourself. Hope you feel better!

And that fruit cup doesn’t look like anything fun to eat when you’re sick. You need a cookie. πŸ™‚
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Race Review: Savannah Rock β€˜n’ Roll Marathon

27 Emily November 8, 2011 at 8:01 am

Nothing wrong with a pipe dream. maybe you should think about making it a reality? Just a thought… πŸ˜‰
Sorry that you are not feeling well. Hope it improves soon!
Emily recently posted..NoJoMo–Day 7

28 Amanda November 8, 2011 at 8:09 am

I think doing a race in New Zealand is a great dream, and one that could definitely become a reality with some planning. I say go for it! πŸ™‚

Sorry you’re not feeling well. I’m sure your hectic week plus the marathon took a pretty big toll on your body. Rest up!
Amanda recently posted..Almond Joy Smoothie

29 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 8, 2011 at 8:41 am

So sorry to hear you are sick.

Your UK friend has good taste in chocolate. That Montezuma’s bar has a very high cacao content for a milk chocolate, so it has a fairly complex fruity flavor. And then those sweet-salty bits of butterscotch. Along with a beautiful melt.

I’m jealous.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Butternut Squash Brownies: They’re Impressive (Really)

30 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday November 8, 2011 at 8:47 am

I can imagine that it would take a LOT of hours of training in order to prep for a full ironman (I mean, just look at all the hours you poured into training for Augusta, right?). That’s the sort of thing that you have to do at a point in your life when you are able to devote that much time to training. Just saying that now when you are young and haven’t yet started a family and haven’t yet reached your career peak would be a good time. Plus, you’re in amazing shape and still reeling from Augusta.

I’d say, go for it!

P.S. If you want to do an international marathon try Detroit. Half the race is in Detroit and the other half takes you over the bridge and through the tunnel to Canada.

31 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) November 8, 2011 at 8:52 am

Aw I hope you feel better! Being sick stinks, especially right after an awesome event in your life like the race.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Monday things from the weekend

32 Cait's Plate November 8, 2011 at 10:07 am

I would LOVE to run in Greece. It’s such a stunning place from what I can tell and I’m dying to go – what better reason than for a race!?

33 Allison November 8, 2011 at 10:31 am

I saw a marathon advertised in the Grand Cayman in December!

34 Laura November 8, 2011 at 11:56 am

I got over being sick just a couple of weeks ago but now my husband is sick again. Contemplated kicking him out of the house to save myself (wife of the year right here) but since I ride public transit to work I’m probably exposed to much worse anyway.

Eventually I want to run a marathon on every continent. I realllllly want to run the Great Wall of China marathon.
Laura recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

35 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Sorry you’re not feeling well!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..maple infused butternut squash and apples

36 AndreaClaire November 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I’ve set a goal to do the Co. Donegal (the most beautiful county in Ireland IMHO) Moo-athon in September 2013. I also lived in Tanzania once upon a time and would love to go back to do the Kilimanjaro Marathon.
AndreaClaire recently posted..Goal: Heal Quicker!

37 Angela November 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm

The Liverpool marathon website is one of the ones I stalk when the idea of marathons creeps into my head as I only live an hour away. If you do it I’ll come cheer you on! πŸ˜‰

38 Billie November 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm

glad the chocolate was a winner. x
Billie recently posted..Half Marathon Training Day 1…

39 Chuck November 9, 2011 at 12:19 am

That’s a great shirt! Congrats on your amazing accomplishment!
Chuck recently posted..Breezing Through The Windy City