West to East

by Meghann on November 4, 2011

Oh boy, what a day of travel that was!

It all started at 5:30am when my alarm went off one last time in my comfy room at the Westlake Four Seasons. I jumped up, packed my stuff, and said a quick prayer that all my flights would be on time.

worriedface.jpg

That’s my worried face.

I had a tight schedule, a very tight schedule, and one delayed flight or missed connection would possibly result in not making it to Savannah in time for the marathon. Just to play it safe I made sure my carry on bag contained all the gear I would need for my marathon (shoes, socks, clothes), a simple change of clothes, and any other possible items I may need in case my checked bag didn’t follow the same route to Savannah that I did.

Luckily, all my finger crossing seemed to be working. Despite enduring typical LA traffic, I made it to LAX with plenty of time to spare before my flight. I went through baggage claim and waited in line 25 minutes (I timed it) at Starbucks for breakfast.

Starbucks was the only decent breakfast option in my terminal and I knew I couldn’t go wrong with the perfect oatmeal bowl with toppings.

All of the nuts and cranberries, but just a pinch of brown sugar.

I also talked myself into a Mocha Light Frape. I blame the long line and forced reading of the menu over and over again before I was under the impression that I ‘just had to have one.’ Pshh.

IMG_0896.jpg

My first flight was magically on time and half empty. It was a new plane with comfy seats that actually reclined and I had an empty middle seat right next to me. Score!

I worked on the laptop for most of the flight and broke out an apple halfway through.

I <3 airlines that give you the full can when you get a soda. πŸ™‚

My first flight landed early, which was good because I originally had 35 minutes between connections and now I had 45. I THOUGHT my next flight was in the same terminal (that’s what they had announced on the flight), but quickly learned that wasn’t the case when I arrived at the wrong gate on the completely opposite side of the airport that the correct gate was at. Crap.

I quickly booked it to the tram and wasted an additional 10 minutes getting to where I needed to go (there goes my extra time). I grabbed a quick sandwich and was the very last person to board the tiny plane. As long as I was able to grab food and we still departed on time, I was happy.

The quick sandwich was a turkey swiss and cranberry.

I really don’t like sliced, un-toasted generic bread on sandwiches (I didn’t have time to have it pressed), but the sandwich did the trick.

I paired the sandwich with some Trader Joe Plantain Chips.

The flight was smooth and we made it to Savannah without any problems. My bag even made it too!!

I’m staying in Savannah with my brother, Katy, and Danielle at a cheesy motel on the outskirts of town. We keep it classy. πŸ˜‰

Instead of fighting the crowds, we grabbed to-go pizza fro Mellow Mushroom for dinner.

Two slices of mega veggie pizza filled me right up.

With a piece of Dole Dark Chocolate for dessert.

All of my gear is laid out, but I’m not sure my body has fully wrapped itself around the idea that I’m running a full marathon tomorrow. It doesn’t seem real.

Here goes nothing. Ready or not, I’m running 26.2 miles tomorrow. Woo! hoo!

1 Mary November 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Good luck!
Mary recently posted..An Apology

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 4, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Good luck! Glad all your flights arrived on time!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 4, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Good Luck!!!! Just think of how amazing you’ll feel when it’s over! (mentally… I mean, haha).
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..I am a Superhero.

4 Army Amy* November 4, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Good luck! I hope that you have a great race!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Loves

5 Elizabeth November 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Good luck!!!!! Wish you all the best!! You can do this after doing 70.3 miles!!

6 Carissa November 4, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I think mellow mushroom is your good luck race food!! Have fun tomorrow!!!!
Carissa recently posted..I love coupons

7 erica November 4, 2011 at 9:38 pm

good luck tomorrow! have a great race! πŸ™‚
erica recently posted..professional wedding pics: the details

8 Karen @ Run Shop Travel November 4, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Generic sandwiches are the worst; that pizza you had for dinner looks pretty tasty though!

Have a great race tomorrow!
Karen @ Run Shop Travel recently posted..Work it Out

9 Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane November 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Good luck girl!! It’s gorgeous in Savannah as you may already know. You’re going to have a blast!
Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Half Marathon Run Schedule 2011-2012

10 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm

good luck, meghann!! you’re going to rock it. have fun πŸ™‚
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..mama’s seven layer bars.

11 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups November 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Good luck tomorrow! You’re going to do great. Sounds like your travels were going so well until the dash to the other terminal. Glad you got there okay!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Linda’s La Cantina

12 Cait's Plate November 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm

GOOD LUCK!!

Starbucks Perfect Oatmeal with all the toppings is ALWAYS my go-to travel breakfast πŸ™‚ An apples for my plane snack + pizza for dinner on travel days too!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Freshly Pressed!

13 Emily November 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I hate hate hate when my connections are in different terminals! Glad you made it safe and sound. Good luck tomorrow. Not a fan of generic sandwiches, but I can’t wait to recreate that combo–’tis the season for turkey and cranberry)
Emily recently posted..Fall Friday Fashion

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) November 4, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I hate connections when I fly- it’s fun to stop somewhere new until your first flight is delayed and you get stuck in an airport for 12 hours! Good luck tomorrow πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Why Count Calories?

15 Sana November 4, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Bahaha, you like to live life on the edge πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..What do your parents know?

16 Alaina November 5, 2011 at 12:01 am

Dang, that’s a lot of traveling! Glad to see that everything worked out!

Good luck tomorrow!! Have fun!! πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies & Being Thankful

17 Aron November 5, 2011 at 12:44 am

Have a great race tomorrow!
Aron recently posted..Friday Favorites

18 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 5, 2011 at 1:18 am

Wow! I admire your blogging skills girl. With all that travel and in between. Good luck for tomorrow! You all can do it πŸ™‚
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Oh! Pumpkin

19 kelly November 5, 2011 at 1:32 am

good luck! but you dont need it πŸ˜‰
can’t wait to read your race recap!

20 Meghan R November 5, 2011 at 4:36 am

Glad you made it here in time! Good luck today!

21 Hillary November 5, 2011 at 8:17 am

I’m exhausted just reading this—and thinking about running a marathon the next day, to boot! Best of luck today!
Hillary recently posted..Stress Relief

22 Amanda November 5, 2011 at 11:18 am

Glad you made it there on time. Best of luck tomorrow!!

P.S. That pizza looks pretty yummy. πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Chewy Chocolate Chip Fig Cookies

23 Aleyta November 5, 2011 at 11:49 am

Good Luck girl!!
Aleyta recently posted..One step in front of the other!

24 Heather November 5, 2011 at 11:54 am

Good luck in the marathon, you’ll rock it!
Heather recently posted..Foodie Friday–Runner’s World Muffins

25 Victoria (District Chocoholic) November 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I’m curious to know what you thought about the Waialua chocolate – I had some while in Oahu this summer, and I like the way that chocolate made from Hawaiian beans is generally mild in flavor. The Waialua was a little dry but I did enjoy the flavor.

Hope the marathon was fun this morning ;).
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..L.A. Burdick: Venezuelan Hot Chocolate

26 Meghann November 7, 2011 at 10:35 am

In my novice opinion, I thought the chocolate was good. πŸ˜‰ It didn’t taste very dark and, you’re right, the flavor was very mild. But I’m not a chocolate expert like you. I bow to you and your chocolate knowledge. πŸ™‚
Meghann recently posted..Stretch It Out

27 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm

WAoH!!! GOOD luck girl!!! You’ll rock it πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Kids’ Between-Meal Snacks

28 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT November 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I was channeling your energy for the first 13.1 miles!! πŸ™‚
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..13.1 PR’ed!

29 Katie @ Livehalffull November 5, 2011 at 11:05 pm