My little trick-or-treater

by Meghann on October 31, 2011

Trick or Treat!

New plan: I’m dressing Maddie up and taking her trick-or-treating tonight. I figured it would be the same deal as having a human two year old – she gets all the ‘awwwws’ for being so darn cute and I get to keep all the candy. Win-win. πŸ˜‰

I’m kidding!

I won’t even be here when the sun goes down tonight and I recently discovered that Maddie has a slight fear of pumpkins.

IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0530.JPG

At first I couldn’t get her to sit, then she walked over and curled up in my lap instead. Maybe my pumpkin is scary after all? Or maybe I’m the scary one?

Poor Maddie!

Are you taking any trick-or-treaters out this evening?! Or are you expecting them to knock on your door?!

I wish we had some trick-or-treaters to look forward to in our neighborhood, but we’re surrounded by retirees. Bummer. There goes my excuse to buy candy for the ‘trick-or-treaters.’ Derek already saw past that plan and vetoed it. How rude. I want candy! Maybe they’ll be giving some out at the airport tonight?! Or I’ll just purchase my own grown up Kit Kat for the plane ride. πŸ˜‰

Lunch!

I heated up the very last bit of my (very delicious) Butternut Squash Soup from Saturday night.

This is one of those instances where the soup tastes better now than it did the night it was made. It was a lot thicker today and the flavors really intensified overnight. I am especially in love with the pieces of parsnip in the soup, it’s a nice spicy vegetable that really contrasts with the sweet squash and apple (in a good way). Yum.

Served with a nice piece of cornbread.

I’m running late! My flight for Los Angeles is at 7:00pm tonight and I haven’t packed a thing! Yikes!

Happy Halloween!

1 Emily@SavoryandSavage October 31, 2011 at 2:02 pm

lol, Maddie does NOT look happy with her costume.

She does look adorable πŸ™‚ Happy Halloween!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Waking up hungry and NaNoWriMo

2 Krystina (Organically Me) October 31, 2011 at 2:03 pm

We bought a few bags of candy to hand out, but since we live in a college area, I doubt there will be many kiddos. πŸ™
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Florida

3 Hope October 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Haha! I love Maddie’s costume! She is so cute!! πŸ™‚

Happy Halloween! I’m going to give out candy tonight. Last year we didn’t get any trick or treaters. I’m hoping we get some this year. At least we have good candy πŸ™‚

4 Sana October 31, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Soups and stews taste better after a few days!
Sana recently posted..No School Weekend

5 Sam @ Samantha in Training October 31, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Aw Maddie looks adorable : ) I agree with you and the above comment – soups/stews always taste better the day after!
Sam @ Samantha in Training recently posted..Week in Review & Things I’m Loving Right Now

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 31, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I don’t have any trick or treaters either! I live in an apartment building. Sad day… I can’t wait until I move somewhere where I can hand out candy!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Perfect Birthday for the Indecisive

7 Nancy (Beyoutiful Fitstyle) October 31, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I’m staying in for trick or treaters to knock on my door! and I am extremely excited about it! This is my first Halloween in my own house and we have a ton of kids in the neighborhood. Sadly, I don’t think there will be leftover candy for me πŸ™ I might have to stash a few york peppermint patties for myself before they come. πŸ™‚
Nancy (Beyoutiful Fitstyle) recently posted..Setting Goals

8 Mara @ The Leone Company October 31, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I don’t feel as bad now! Our black lab has a fear of pumpkins. And squash. And watermelons. As in, cowering into the other room and refusing to enter the kitchen fear. (Which is not typical for our always-hungry lab!)
Mara @ The Leone Company recently posted..Quoted in Fox Small Business

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 31, 2011 at 2:51 pm

What are you coming to LA for? It shouldn’t be too hard to pack for LA as it’s been chilly in the mornings and evenings but the days have still been pretty nice. πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Happy Halloween / Music Monday

10 Christie October 31, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Poor Maddie!! She does look scared. We don’t get trick or treaters here either…..the nearest neighbor is probably over 1/2 a mile away…..The kids would gets lots of exercise that way though
Christie recently posted..Big Hit 1/2 Marathon Recap

11 Christie October 31, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Awww poor Maddie looks just adorable!
Christie recently posted..A whirlwind week.

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 31, 2011 at 3:29 pm

There is candy everywhere…and it is not that appealing to me. Haha. Hope you get some though! Have a safe flight πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Eggs and Jam

13 Emily October 31, 2011 at 3:36 pm

If you don’t want to take Maddie trick or treating, I will! The dog (or, um, me) deserves some candy! I wish I had trick or treaters where I live, college residence halls just aren’t the best spot for little ones:( Have fun in L.A!
Emily recently posted..My Favorite Things: Halloween Edition

14 Lindsey October 31, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I am hoping we get trick or treaters! Love seeing the kids all dressed up πŸ™‚
My supper tonight is going to be the same as your lunch, butternut squash soup and cornbread πŸ™‚ With a side of mini chocolate bars of course!
Lindsey recently posted..Halloween Fun!

15 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 31, 2011 at 3:44 pm

good luck packing! i’m most effective when i wait til the last minute.

you can have some of our trick or treaters… they come in masses around here!!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..you are the candy to my corn.

16 Amanda October 31, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I also don’t get trick or treaters in my neighborhood and can’t think of a reason to buy Halloween candy (aside from the fact that I want some). Fingers crossed my parents have some leftover that I can steal. πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Classic Apple Pie – Veganized

17 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 31, 2011 at 3:55 pm

OMG! She is so damn cute! Why didn’t I get a costume for Ellie?!!
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Blogger Bake Sale!

18 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel October 31, 2011 at 4:02 pm

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel recently posted..Trick-Or-Treat Candy Bowl

19 Army Amy* October 31, 2011 at 4:10 pm

What a cutie! My dog HATES wearing clothes.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Trek or Treat 5k: Race Recap

20 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Maybe I can nab you a piece from M’s stash to bring you as a post marathon celebratory treat this weekend. πŸ˜‰
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Moral Of The Story

21 Kathleen @ fittitudefreedom October 31, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I would love to see your pup at my door trick or treating. That would be so funny.
Kathleen @ fittitudefreedom recently posted..World Run Day

22 Ashleigh October 31, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Poor Maddie! She looks adorable. Have a great trip!
Ashleigh recently posted..Whole Wheat Hummus Pasta

23 RunEatRepeat October 31, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I was Cinderella before and still have the costume somewhere. Can I borrow Maddie to be my trick or treat date?
RunEatRepeat recently posted..A Big Hot Bowl of Oats

24 Meghann October 31, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I was Cinderella two years and bought this costume that year just so Maddie and I could match. πŸ™‚

25 Sophie October 31, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Haha, my pup has been barking at our pumpkin too!
Sophie recently posted..Monday Memories: The Day We Met Maisie.

26 Maureen October 31, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Maddie is so cute! Last year we dressed our dog up as a flower! I bought a ton of candy for our neighborhood kids, I love seeing all the cute costumes.
Maureen recently posted..Weekend Recap – Trying New Things

27 marlina October 31, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Maddie’s adorable! Reading this first thing in the AM has had me craving a thick hearty stoup all day! Thanks for the dinner inspiration πŸ˜‰

Travel Safe !
marlina recently posted..I’m Keepin Him

28 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 31, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Maddie looks so cute! My family dog would never keep a costume on haha or sweaters for that matter.. he hated being dressed up!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Trick or treat Monday things

29 BroccoliHut October 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I wish I could take Margot trick-or-treating in her cowgirl costume. We should start a trend–take your dog trick-or-treating! For now, she is happy just handing out candy to all the human kids.
BroccoliHut recently posted..What’s your number?

30 Tracy @ Commit to Fit October 31, 2011 at 10:17 pm

We took out our niece and nephew, it was so much fun. I love Halloween!
Tracy @ Commit to Fit recently posted..30 Minute Workout: Bootcamp

31 Alexa @ SimpleEats October 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Maddie looks SO adorable in that costume! Have a safe flight!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Pumpkin Chili

32 Amy October 31, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Oh, I am 27 and I went trick or treating tonight. Yes, I went and said trick or treat for my treats!
Amy recently posted..Halloween Complaints