Staying Dedicated

by Meghann on October 27, 2011

Good Morning. πŸ™‚

I’m back on The New Rules of Lifting for Women wagon... again.

Ugh. I know. I know. Same old, same old story.

Keeping up with a regular strength training program is tough – throw in traveling and marathon training and it gets even tougher. I did what I could when I wasn’t near a set of weights (push ups, lunges, squats, etc.) and I have to be happy with that.

I have another week of traveling ahead of me (followed immediately by the Savannah marathon), so I’ll more than likely be taking another extended break from the program soon, but, despite all of that, I remain dedicated to the plan and – no matter how many breaks I’m forced to make – I’ll always pick it back up from where I left off and push through it. I will make it to stage 8 – I promise. πŸ˜‰

Today was my first day at Stage 4B of the plan and I found it oddly reminiscent of Stage 2. Similar moves, similar increments, and similar shaking. I started heavier than I normally would have and could really feel the burn. It felt good. πŸ™‚

When I made it back home I wanted something simple for breakfast.

Honeycrisp apples are like eating candy – they’re sweet, crisp, and addicting. Unfortunately, I only had ONE in my bag of apples and I didn’t want its sweetness to go to waste. Instead of cooking it or allowing its deliciousness to be buried under a pile of other flavors, I decided to let it stand out on its own with just a dollop of peanut butter on the plate.

The apple exceeded all of my expectations. Every year I know it’s going to be good, but every year I re-surprise myself with just how much I prefer the honeycrisp apples to any others. I need to pick some more up before it’s too late! πŸ™‚

Also on the plate was a slice of pumpkin apple pecan bread from The Apple Barn. I have more than half a loaf left and a boyfriend who hates pumpkin. Darn. πŸ˜‰

What’s your favorite apple?

I couldn’t believe all the new flavors I discovered when I was in Tennessee! Jonagold, Arkansas Back, Rome…. who knew?

1 Caitlin C. October 27, 2011 at 9:54 am

That bread looks crazy good! I actually don’t like apples, I know, who am I? At least you’re trying to keep up the routine. I too struggle with being able to make it to more than one or two Group Power classes each week. When I can’t I try to do stuff at home or my own thing at the gym but Power is really the very best way I build strength. It’d be great if I could go two or three times per week consistently but we all do our best – and enjoy life at the same time πŸ™‚ that’s important too
Caitlin C. recently posted..Hotel Room Workout

2 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 27, 2011 at 9:56 am

Honeycrisp are definitely the winners in my book. Love them!

And I cannot believe Savannah is only a little over a week away!!!! Can’t wait to see ya again. πŸ™‚
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Something New

3 Krystina (Organically Me) October 27, 2011 at 10:00 am

I love honeycrisp, fuji, and pink lady.

4 Khushboo October 27, 2011 at 10:02 am

Pink Lady apples are my ultimate favorite…SO sweet!
Khushboo recently posted..No Longer Dread the Tread

5 Lindsey October 27, 2011 at 10:03 am

I never used to be an apply eater but my husband has always loved them! He loves Gala so that is what I’d eat BUT last week we bough Honey Crisp apples from Costco and they are amazing! Not sure I will eat any other kind ever again! haha
Lindsey recently posted..Tis’ The Season!

6 elle October 27, 2011 at 10:04 am

Meghann,

It’s is a contraction for it is or it has.

Its is a possessive pronoun meaning, more or less, of it or belonging to it.

A simple test
If you can replace it[‘]s in your sentence with it is or it has, then your word is it’s; otherwise, your word is its.

from here: http://garyes.stormloader.com/its.html

7 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:57 am

Thanks elle.
‘It’s’ versus ‘its’ is one of those tricky grammatical elements that often feels backwards when done right. Obviously, this was my error and I’ve corrected the mistake.
Meghann recently posted..Staying Dedicated

8 Reenie October 27, 2011 at 10:04 am

Def Pink Lady =)

9 Cait's Plate October 27, 2011 at 10:05 am

Braeburns, honeycrips and galas all tie for the win in my book πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Stolen My Heart

10 Marisa E October 27, 2011 at 10:06 am

My favorite apple by FAR is PINK LADY!!!! MMMMmmmmm- drooling just thinking about them πŸ™‚ I’m also loving Empire apples right now- so, so good.

11 christine @ BookishlyB October 27, 2011 at 10:06 am

Honeycrisp! It’s too bad they’re so expensive! I got a bag of 5 the other day and noticed it had cost me $10. Oops!
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..It’s the End of the World and Blablablabla

12 Donna October 27, 2011 at 10:08 am

Honeycrsip, for sure! I slice my apple into “chips” and dip it in my Greek Yogurt — my favorite afternoon snack. πŸ™‚

13 Kat October 27, 2011 at 10:10 am

Honey crisps are devine. My favorites are Macoun for the flavor, and Snow White for the look, name (and it tastes so good!)

14 Lauren October 27, 2011 at 10:11 am

You may have already mentioned this in other posts, but I can’t recall. Can you give a quick estimate of how long these NROLFW workouts are taking you? I recently bought the book (inspired by your awesome results), but I read some posts in the official NROLFW forum that made it sound like some of the workouts (particularly in the later phases) can take hours. I definitely don’t have hours to spend at the gym. Any thoughts on this?

15 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:58 am

They take 30-45 minutes, but are getting longer with each stage. Really, it’s the additional rest time between the reps that makes the program so long, so sometimes I cheat and don’t rest as long as I should. I know, bad Meghann.
Meghann recently posted..Staying Dedicated

16 Hillary October 27, 2011 at 10:12 am

Fujis. Now, always, and forever.

And I have to jump in as the resident English teacher: the apples exceeded all of your expectations, not succeeded. : )
Hillary recently posted..The Second Time Around

17 Danielle October 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

Thank you for pointing this out.

Meghann, have you ever considered taking some writing classes? I know you were the star of AP English about 8 years ago, but your blog would really improve tenfold if you took everyones comments seriously and put some effort into your writing. It looks like you need a refresher on grammar, sentence structure and idioms. It’s not about simple typos – it’s about needing to get a clearer grasp on the language you are using. You cannot be an effective writer and tell a good story (even if it’s about breakfast) if your readers are distracted by the abysmal grammar and spelling. I’m sure your freelance opportunities would increase as well. I like your blog but your refusal to take the time to improve your ‘craft’ is very disheartening. You have plenty of time to take some classes or seminars, and you have PLENTY of time to proofread. I don’t think proofreading would catch everything, because you don’t seem to know when to use certain phrases, but you could really catch a lot of errors. People come to your blog, myself included, because it is enjoyable, but since we are giving you page views/clicks, you should really take the time to work on your product.

18 elle October 27, 2011 at 10:32 am

I agree. Your blog is your job, so even if it is “from the heart” or “real” …that doesn’t matter when there are glaring mistakes every post. A more polished product is better any day and will likely increase your freelance opportunities!

19 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

Thank you Hillary for politely pointing out the error. I’ve corrected it. πŸ™‚
Meghann recently posted..Staying Dedicated

20 Hillary October 27, 2011 at 11:03 am

No problem. I hate being the grammar/spelling/language police, but it’s literally my job, and I can’t control it! Thanks for being receptive.
Hillary recently posted..The Second Time Around

21 Danielle October 27, 2011 at 11:15 am

Hi Meghann. You may want to correct it again.

22 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 11:17 am

*as she lowers her head in shame* dratz. Got it this time. πŸ™‚
Meghann recently posted..Staying Dedicated

23 Mary @ food and fun on the run October 27, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love just about any kind of apple. Fuji’s are my favorite though! They always taste so refreshing!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..5 Gym No-No’s

24 Christine October 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

I was going to say the same thing as Hillary – exceeded, not succeeded.

Totall agree that apple season is the BEST though!

25 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 11:00 am

Thanks Christine, I’ve already corrected it. πŸ™‚
Meghann recently posted..Staying Dedicated

26 Christine October 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

oops – *totally

27 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’m the same way right now. I’ve had 1 workout left in stage 3 for 1.5 weeks now and between travel, getting sick and now not being motivated I still haven’t gotten it done! Must recommit!
Honeycrisp are my fave, hands down but Gala are a close and more practical ssecond πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Classic fudgy salted brownies

28 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

Honeycrisp and mutsu apples are my absolute favourites! Honeycrisps are always so expensive, but mutsus tend to be cheaper, so I like to think they balance each other out! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Spotlight on Fall Produce: Pears

29 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’ve never heard of Mutus – I swear we don’t have any of the fun varieties down here!
Meghann recently posted..Staying Dedicated

30 Carolyn October 27, 2011 at 10:27 am

Honeycrisp all the way.
Carolyn recently posted..The good feelings.

31 Kerry October 27, 2011 at 10:46 am

Be careful when taking extended breaks from strength training and picking up where you left off. That can do much harm to your muscles and connective tissue. There is a reason that they build up gradually.

32 Meghann October 27, 2011 at 11:13 am

You’re right Kerry. Thanks for the reminder.
Meghann recently posted..Staying Dedicated

33 Amanda October 27, 2011 at 10:49 am

I also really like honeycrisp, but my favorite might be classic macintosh apples. I eat a lot of gala apples throughout the year, and something about macintosh just screams fall (my favorite season).

I applaud you for continually going back to your strength training routine. Sometimes life gets in the way, but it’s great that you’re dedicated to working it in when you can. πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

34 Mary October 27, 2011 at 10:56 am

Honeycrisp are definitely the best. If I can’t find those I look for Pink Lady apples. Those are really the only apples I will eat (apple snob – lol).

35 Shanna, Like Banana October 27, 2011 at 11:03 am

I’m pretty simple and love me a good Braeburn or Fuji, pretty much all year around. In the Fall, I’m all about the pears πŸ˜‰
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Popchips Winner!

36 sarah (sarah learns) October 27, 2011 at 11:07 am

honeycrisps are my favorite apple too! usually i eat granny smith or other tart varieties, but when honeycrisp season arrives, i’m all about them! πŸ™‚
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..groovin’

37 Jessica October 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

Honeycrisp apples are ‘da bomb’ lol. I eat a TON of apples this time of year and then eat barely any the rest of the year because none of them can hold a candle to honeycrisp. I wish there was a way for me to buy a year’s supply while they’re in season and have them not go bad πŸ™‚

38 Lisa Fine October 27, 2011 at 11:44 am

As much as I love to try new apple varieties, I always seem to go back to the classic Macintosh.

I love that they’re sweet and a little bit tart, they’re great on their own, or good to make applesauce. Eating one right now, actually. πŸ™‚
Lisa Fine recently posted..Rudi’s Organic Bread Giveaway!

39 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 27, 2011 at 11:44 am

I actually have no idea what my favorite apple is called! I went apple picking last week and one that i picked was amazing; it even smelled amazing when I sliced it open! Unfortunately i picked without discretion and have no idea what it was called…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Some for Them, Some for Me (or not).

40 Jaima October 27, 2011 at 11:45 am

My favorite are Gala, but they have to be super cold and crisp!

41 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 27, 2011 at 12:09 pm

honeycrisp, far and away! nothing like ’em…
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..thursday morning crumbs.

42 Laura October 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I just bought some Honeycrisp too! I agree with the candy assessment. I typically eat Granny Smiths. Really green and sour Granny Smiths. Yummmm.
Laura recently posted..Marathon Nerves

43 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm

honeycrisp is the bomb!! I also love Gala and Braeburn —but they gotta be crunchy!!

I LOVE lifting weights. Feels SO good!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..How To Never Give Up + Thankful Thursday

44 Amy October 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm

My favorite apple is definitely Jazz apples!
Amy recently posted..Dude. WTF (Part 2)

45 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile October 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Honeycrisp are definitely my favorite!!! Pink lady’s may even be first, they are amazing.
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW)

46 Sarah @ The Dirt Road Dreamer October 27, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Honeycrisp hands down! I love this time of year!

47 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life October 27, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Do you mean Arkansas Black? I went apple picking in North Carolina last year and I too was amazed by the wide variety! I personally didn’t like Arkansas Black apples as much as other varieties. Gala are my current favorite! I’ve been working through a 5 pound bag for the past week or so…
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..Newman’s Own

48 Holly October 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Have you ever tried SweeTango apples? They are a hybrid of Honeycrisp and something else… so delicious!

49 Kimra October 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I’ve gone from granny smith to fuji to honeycrisp in recent years. I adore gravensteins, which we can get in spades about an hour north of where I live, but their season is short and early — we got some of the last of the year over Labor Day weekend!
Kimra recently posted..Good Ol’ Meatballs

50 Ari @ Ari's Menu October 27, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I’m weird, but I really love regular granny smith. I always try others and like them well enough in the moment, but end up missing the tart crispness of a granny smith!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Rolling with the Clementine

51 Holly October 27, 2011 at 2:29 pm

i love honeycrisp apples too- i seriously eat more than my weight in them during the brief season they are available in stores here in TX (NOW!!!). the best news this season? they were available at costco–bulk honeycrisp apples, yes please! πŸ™‚
Holly recently posted..First Boots of Fall

52 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I just got done with a NROL workout today! I’m still in the 1st stage but am loving it. I swear I already feel a change!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Chocolate Meringue Crinkle Cookies

53 Marlina October 27, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Honeycrisps are the only apples I can let myself pay $2.99/lb for. Soooo pricey, but soooo worth it πŸ™‚
Marlina recently posted..Humpday Randoms

54 jane October 27, 2011 at 4:54 pm

i like a coach, keeps me honest πŸ™‚

55 Liz October 27, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I like honeycrisp and fuji, although I’m discovering a bunch of new ones at our market which is fun!

Don’t feel bad about falling off the wagon – at least you’re getting back on. I just restarted NROWLFW after getting halfway through stage 4 and then dropping off for marathon training/yoga – it happens! The most important part is that you start again!
Liz recently posted..A Dose of Vitamin D

56 Ella October 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I don’t know if other people have asked this question/if you’ve already answered this … but did your sister stop blogging again? I went to check her site and I didn’t see it!

57 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 27, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Apples and peanut butter. So simple yet so delicious!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Packing break

58 Sophie October 28, 2011 at 6:55 am

I love love love Braeburn apples – to the extent that for years they were the only ones I would eat. This yeat I got a job in a school though and decided that I just needed to get over it and start eating whichever ones they had in.. πŸ™
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Friday