Easy 5

by Meghann on October 26, 2011

Courtney: “Let’s run an easy 5, my legs are pretty sore from my sub-7:00 min/7 mile tempo last night.”

Meghann: “Sure. Works for me. Easy it is.”

15 minutes later…

Courtney: “Wow. My legs feel better than expected. This is great.”

Meghann (while trying to keep up with the 8:00 min/mile pace): “Must. Slow. Down. And. Catch. My. Breath.”

Umm…. apparently Courtney and I have different ideas what constitutes ‘easy.’ That girl is fast! She’s training to BQ in the spring and I can definitely see her efforts paying off, pretty soon I’m not going to be able to keep up. Go Courtney!

Luckily I did convince the speedster to scale it back for the last half of the run and we finished with a satisfying sub-9:00 minute pace.

I’m happy with that. πŸ™‚

Post-run breakfast was a makeshift apple pie.

I microwaved an apple with some cinnamon for a couple of minutes then topped it with a crumbled graham cracker, honey peanut butter, pumpkin apple bread, and plain yogurt. It was a mini morning treat.

Expect a LOT of apples in my future. I have a big bag just begging to be enjoyed. Besides – How does the saying go? – an apple a day keeps the doctor away. πŸ˜‰

1 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine October 26, 2011 at 10:12 am

Great job on the run! Running buddies are the absolute best way for me to get faster, otherwise I tend to be a little lazy. πŸ™‚
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Moving Inspiration

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 26, 2011 at 10:13 am

That’s exactly why I can’t run with other people. I’d have gotten frustrated instead of motivated to keep up with her! Nice run though!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin pie phyllo bites

3 Krystina (Organically Me) October 26, 2011 at 10:15 am

Good thing I don’t run with Courtney – I’d die! πŸ˜›
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Pumpkin Carving

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 26, 2011 at 10:17 am

An apple.. or two… or 6! I’ve been loving them as well, almost as much as pumpkin! Honeycrisp are by far my favourites, closely followed by mutsu… yumm!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 80

5 Courtney W October 26, 2011 at 10:17 am

Your take on our run this morning made me laugh. Keep in mind that I still have a hard time knowing the difference between 7:30/min pace and 9:30/min pace. πŸ™‚ Glad you still had a good time!
Courtney W recently posted..Following a plan

6 Jessica October 26, 2011 at 10:18 am

That breakfast looks AMAZING
Jessica recently posted..Jessica posted a workout

7 Jessica October 26, 2011 at 10:19 am

Sorry — not sure why it decided to post my workout here πŸ™‚

8 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 26, 2011 at 10:26 am

on one hand i HATE being the “slow” one when running with a buddy, but on the other, it really does push you and often times i surprise myself with what i am capable of doing!

9 Meghann October 26, 2011 at 10:32 am

100% agree with this one. I believe it was MegaNerd who said “If you want to be fast – get fast friends because they will push you like no other.”
Meghann recently posted..Easy 5

10 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run October 26, 2011 at 10:37 am

Now that’s a breakfast I can get behind. Although, I’m thinking that plain yogurt should have been substituted with ice cream. THEN it would be perfect. πŸ˜‰
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Halloween Anxiety

11 Michelle October 26, 2011 at 11:15 am

Wow she is speedy!
Michelle recently posted..Wednesday Wisdom

12 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 26, 2011 at 11:21 am

you both are speedy! that makeshift pie looks delicious!

13 Cait's Plate October 26, 2011 at 11:24 am

LOVE the crumbled graham cracker addition! That is such a good idea!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Tuesday To-Dos

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 26, 2011 at 11:32 am

I always eat an apple a day! And geez, Courtney! Sub 7:00??? That is pretty speedy!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Gluten and Soy free style!

15 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 26, 2011 at 11:43 am

Whoa, an 8 min/mile pace IS hard to keep up with! That’d be 5 miles of tempo running for me! haha
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Patch memories

16 Amanda October 26, 2011 at 11:43 am

Guess everyone’s definition of “easy” is different! haha Great job keeping a sub-9 minute pace.

I love your makeshift apple pie. I recently made an apple pie smoothie (recipe on my blog) and plan to attempt a classic apple pie for my dad’s birthday later this month. It’s his favorite. πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Carrot Orange Ginger Soup

17 Amanda @ JustAmandaJ October 26, 2011 at 11:48 am

I just bought a big bag of apples yesterday at Publix, can’t wait to bake them!
Amanda @ JustAmandaJ recently posted..Painfully eventful

18 lauren October 26, 2011 at 11:48 am

Haha that’s awesome. I need some fast runner friends to push myself. In high school, I ran with some guys from the football team as part of my indoor track practice. Somehow, probably due to pride, I’d hide the fact that I was struggling to keep up. I don’t think I’ve run that fast since!
lauren recently posted..Waiting for the Sunrise & Veggie Frittata for One

19 Alaina October 26, 2011 at 11:56 am

I need to find me a Courtney! My husband is pretty fast so I can’t wait for him to come home and run with. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Vacation–Day Two

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Oh boy do I love a good run–sure sounds like part of yours was nice and speedy! Well done.

And that b-fast does look like quite a treat–yummm!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Ketchup Sauce

21 Steph @ StephSnacks October 26, 2011 at 12:40 pm

ooh this breakfast looks absolutely delish! I’ll have to try it.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..I He<3rt NY

22 Carissa October 26, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Sub 9 is fast enough to me! I always want to go faster…but….well…I don’t! It’s great to have running partners to push you though.
Carissa recently posted..Halloween Vegetable Skeleton

23 Jenn A. October 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Wow that post run breakfast looks super yummy. I need to recreate that sometime soon.
Jenn A. recently posted..MAC Glitter & Ice Technakohl Liners Review and Swatches

24 mary October 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Oh gosh. You’re so speedy Meghann! Id be dying at even a sub 9 pace! Im lucky if I run a steady 10:30 pace these days! When I was really thin and fit I could run fast. Oh how id love to know how it feels to be speedy. Just once! Courtney is my hero πŸ˜‰
mary recently posted..Wedding Madness Wednesday: My Bridesmaids

25 Jenn @ Monkey Butt Junction October 26, 2011 at 5:39 pm

One of my friends posts on Daily Mile, and her “easy” runs are in the 7-minute range. If I was running downhill on a greased slide I wouldn’t reach a 7 minute mile.
Jenn @ Monkey Butt Junction recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Happy Halloween Village

26 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 26, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I feel like whenever I read about some people’s “easy” runs, I’m thinking to myself ‘That’s easy?!’ It just motivates me to build up some speed!

27 Ali @ Ali Runs October 27, 2011 at 7:26 am

I love running with faster friends. It makes me a better and faster runner. Since I’m so stubborn, I rarely ask them to slow down but just work harder to keep up. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Niagara Falls International Marathon Race Recap