On The Road Again

by Meghann on October 20, 2011

Now, THIS is what I call a road trip.

• Comfy backseat I can stretch out on
  • Netflix app on my phone that instantly streams Felicity (I only have 5 more episodes left!!)
  • Plenty of food and snacks
  • A Dad who loves to drive and never lets anyone else take over the wheel
  • And the promise of beautiful mountain air in 8 hours or less

Sounds good to me. πŸ˜‰

(Ben got Lauren pregnant?!? What?! What?!)

My parents and I are on our way to Tennessee to enjoy a little taste of fall in the mountains. We have big plans of Β apple orchards, pumpkin patches, hiking, and seeing some pretty leaves .

The trip has turned into an annual outing for my parents, but this is the first time I’ve been able to join them. I’ve never been to an apple orchard or seen a real pumpkin patch, so I’m very excited to take part in all the fall festivities. I’m even more excited for the cooler weather – I had to dig some long sleeve shirts and boots out of my closet just for the occasion!

Before we left my parents’ house earlier this afternoon, I was able to snag some yogurt with cereal and grapes as a pre-road trip snack.

For someone who grew up in a family of 6 (and took many, many, many road trips all over the U.S. with all siblings in tow) it feels strange to have the backseat to myself on this trip. I’m used to traveling in a big conversion van, hauling a camper in the back, and fighting over who gets the middle seats versus who shares the back. And if any of us brought friends? forget about it. One camping trip my brother brought his girlfriend, I brought my friend Allison, and we had a total of 6 kids vying for a chance to have their own seat in the front. Let’s just say there was a LOT of tension between us that week.

How did my parents ever do it? Insanity.

This trip is a little more peaceful with minimal traffic and plenty of peace and quiet on the road.

We made it as far as northern Georgia before pulling over and calling it a night (we’re continuing on to Tennessee in the morning).

My goal was to pack a picnic for the road, but that didn’t happen. Instead we stopped at my road trip stand-by: Chick Fil A.

I don’t love fast food, but I do enjoy Chick-Fil-A when the occasion calls for it. Usually I swear by their chicken and fruit salad, but the weather seemed to call for the soup and salad combo.

The chicken noodle soup was a little salty, but warm and comforting on.

The side salad was full of veggies and greens.

I can’t believe how late it is already! We have an early morning planned with a bit of a surprise in the works. Stay tuned. πŸ˜‰

1 Sana October 20, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Yay! I love alone time with my parents! It’s fun to be spoiled!
Sana recently posted..Day 20: Bokeh?

2 Sara @ RunnerWife October 20, 2011 at 11:09 pm

That soup actually looks really good! i have never had it but it looks delicious!
Sara @ RunnerWife recently posted..Dog Emergency

3 michelle October 20, 2011 at 11:45 pm

This post makes me think back to trips I used to take with my parents with a camper behind us and me and my brother fighting for ‘shot gun!’
michelle recently posted..Explore. Dream. Discover.

4 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 21, 2011 at 4:00 am

yum i LOVE chick fil a (but can’t believe you passed up the chicken sandwich!)
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..public service announcement.

5 Hope October 21, 2011 at 7:15 am

It sounds like you are going to have a very fun trip! I can’t wait to read about it! : )

Chick-fil-a is one of my favorite fast food restaurants. Their waffle fries are the best!
Hope recently posted..One Of The Best Supermarket Deals Ever!…

6 Sarah October 21, 2011 at 7:32 am

I love Felicity! Ahhh…memories!
I think my husband would kill me if I started watching that again from the beginning…he he!

7 Ericka @ The Sweet Life October 21, 2011 at 7:35 am

Thank you oh thank for the screen shot of one of my all time favorite shows. I always liked Ben better but dang, Noel was the nicer one! I guess that’s how it always goes…:)
Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..The Sorry I’m Not Sorry Post

8 Hillary October 21, 2011 at 7:45 am

You’ve never been to a pumpkin patch?! Girlfriend, you missed out growing up in Florida! Haha. Some of my best childhood memories are from apple picking/pumpkin picking. I hope you enjoy it as much as I used to!
Hillary recently posted..Positively Positive: Part Deux

9 Cait's Plate October 21, 2011 at 7:47 am

Great minds think alike – I LOVE that you have Felicity instant streaming to your phone. That would absolutely be my idea of a good time on a road trip!!

Have fun on the rest of your road trip! πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Congo Bars

10 Amy October 21, 2011 at 8:13 am

Aw, your road trip memories sound so familiar to me – I grew up in a family of 6 too. I remember the van, the camper, the vying for the “best” seat … I think there’s supposed to be great weather this weekend all up and down the mid-Atlantic. Enjoy your getaway and pick some good apples!

11 Amy October 21, 2011 at 8:15 am

I think we are supposed to have great weather in the mid-Atlantic this weekend, so enjoy your getaway! Pick some good apples!

12 Jamie @ FoodinRealLife October 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

I’m relaxed just reading about your trip. It sounds awesome! And I just LOVE driving with people that love to drive. It makes me feel so calm because I hate driving and always worry that the driver is going to need a break and want me to drive. That salad looks pretty bright and fresh for being from a fast food joint- good choice!
Jamie @ FoodinRealLife recently posted..Week 25 Pregnancy Update

13 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 21, 2011 at 8:46 am

I cannot believe you’ve never been to an apple orchard or a pumpkin patch! that’s so crazy to me! Haha and I know what you mean about road trips, growing up we would drive 10 hours to Colorado every summer with my parents, me, and my two brothers. I do not know how my parents survived. Probably by just ignoring us.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Carrot Cake Oats!

14 Britt @ Run with Britt October 21, 2011 at 9:07 am

Yay for road trips with the fam! I’m sure y’all will have a blast. I cannot stand fast food, unless of course it’s Chick-Fil-A. Their salads actually have veggies on them, unlike the good ‘ol Mickey D’s.
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..My Running Journey Part 2

15 Amanda @ JustAmandaJ October 21, 2011 at 9:24 am

Living in Central FL has disadvantages when it comes to pumpkin and apple picking πŸ™ I’ve never done either activity either which is why I’m looking forward to next year when my Hubby is back from deployment and we can take our two little ones to do both of those things where we are stationed πŸ˜€

Have fun!!! You’re family is seriously so awesome.
Amanda @ JustAmandaJ recently posted..Birth Story Part 3

16 Amanda October 21, 2011 at 9:31 am

Your weekend sounds like so much fun! Apple orchards? Pumpkin patches? Sign me up! πŸ™‚ And you are making me seriously consider watching Felicity again. It’s been so long I don’t even remember the plot!
Amanda recently posted..Individual Cinnamon Pear Crisp

17 Kari October 21, 2011 at 10:10 am

Wait…you’ve never been to an apple orchard OR a real pumpkin patch? I didn’t realize it was possible to grow up without that, but I guess it really depends on where you’re from – have SO much fun. There’s really nothing to set the fall mood like those atmospheres.

And what a blessing to go with your parents – there’s 4 kids in my family too, and I think I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been alone with both my parents. I can’t wait for updates!
Kari recently posted..Vegan MoFo 19: Pediatrics Ending and Cookies

18 Meghann October 21, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I’m a Florida girl and we don’t have apple orchards here. However, there is an orange grove down the street and we have a grapefruit tree in the backyard. πŸ™‚

19 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 21, 2011 at 10:25 am

I love Chick Fil A’s oatmeal sans sweetner packet + their fruit salad. BTW, I’d never be able to stay awake in the back seat like that. Good.night.nurse.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Slaying the Basilisk

20 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 21, 2011 at 11:10 am

Oh yeah, that’s my kind of road trip!! Have fun!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..I’m a Ninja!

21 Carissa October 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

Sounds like a great trip! The mountains are so peaceful and comforting. We went there for vacation in August.

How do you steam video??? I have a LG revolution and I think it should do it…but does it kill your battery??? I need some tips! πŸ™‚

Have fun!

22 Meghann October 21, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I have the HTC EVO and I just downloaded the Netflix App via the Android Market. It does drain the battery, but I purchased an extended batter pack a few months ago that is AMAZING with holding a charge.

23 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com October 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I just took a little weekend trip with my parents! Unfortunately I had to share the back seat with my sister so I couldn’t really stretch out that much. πŸ™‚ Chicago just recently got a Chik-A-Fil-A and I have yet to go but everyone I know raves about it. Looks like it’s a nice alternative to the usual fast food choices. Have a great time on your trip! Can’t wait to see pics!
Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com recently posted..Salted Caramel Love from NC

24 Rosalia October 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm

By viewing the pic, I can imagine that how you had enjoyed your trip. I also don’t like fast food. I prefer to have homemade food because it is good for our health. Thanks for sharing your memorable moments with this post.
Rosalia recently posted..Recetas para engordar : que comer para subir de peso sanamente

25 Sophie October 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Sounds like a great trip – have fun!
Sophie recently posted..Half Term!

26 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I have great memories road tripping from Portland, OR to San Diego, CA. Two days, on the road, oh the adventures! πŸ™‚ I am watching Felicity right now, too! I’m only on Season 2 though! Don’t give anything AWAY!
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Hansen, not Hanson. No Mmm Bop here!

27 Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes October 21, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Im not a fan of fast food either but Chik Fil A is so yummy.
Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes recently posted..Newman’s Own Organics Giveaway!

28 Christie October 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm

There was 3 of us so the backseat was always crowded! Hope you have a great weekend and I love surprises.

29 Paul October 24, 2011 at 2:34 am

My parents have five children and I was the middle. I do miss the arguments and the talks when we were young. We had a get together last month and I was really happy being with them again. Your parents are amazing to have handled the situation well whenever you were traveling. The food looks delicious and they are perfect for your trip.
Paul recently posted..how to meet women