Getting Creative With Leftover Soup

by Meghann on October 18, 2011

Do you have some extra thick squash soup lying around?

Well, do I have an idea for you!

Start with two pieces of bread and some cold tempeh ( or tofu or steak or nothing)

Slop on some cold left over soup.

Add cheese! (this is the very important part!)

Flip it over

Grill for 5 minutes or until cheesy.

Done!

This was so good! I loved the way the cheese and the left over soup melted together and masked the bland flavor of the tempeh. They also really played up the cheesy, squishy texture that makes grilled cheeses so great. Yum!

Apple slices on the side.

The squash soup also made an untraditional appearance at dinner. The thick texture of the soup really had thinking it would make a great pasta sauce, but – since we didn’t have pasta – I had to improvise with some roasted broccoli and tempeh.

I reheated a little bit of the soup with some pasta sauce, then added a sprinkle of cheese on top.

I couldn’t get a pretty photo of it, but I promise it was good. πŸ™‚ Mixing the pasta sauce with the squash soup gave the soup a great tomato flavor that went well over the broccoli and tempeh. If I had the time I bed the mis would have also made a great baked ziti or lasagna filling.

Between meals I…

Snacked on some trail mix with cereal

And ran with the Tampa Tri Team.

I didn’t see the email that tonight’s practice was cancelled due to rain until I pulled into the parking lot of the track. Luckily, I wasn’t the only one who missed the memo and there were three other team members ready to run. The predicted rain ended up just being a few scary, black clouds that merely produced a few sprinkles. A whole bunch of fuss over nothing.

The four of us pulled together and designed a workout of :

• 4 x 400
  • 2 x 800
  • 4 x 400

I averaged 1:35 for the first 400s, then 4:00 for the 800s (recovery pace), and 1:45 for the last 400s.   I started out way too fast in my first 400s and totally blew my energy for the final sets. Grr…

One final treat before bedtime.

When I saw the New Justin’s Organic Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups arrive on my front doorstop this afternoon (the company had sent me a few samples), I knew I had to have one. A dark chocolate peanut butter cup filled with Justin’s yummy, creamy peanut butter?!?! Where could you go wrong?! πŸ˜‰

IMG_0083.jpg

This may be one of the few chocolate desserts where the peanut butter actually outshines the chocolate. I wanted to crack the shell open and just lick every pick of peanut butter out. The dark chocolate was ok, but the peanut butter was the main event here.

Yum. πŸ™‚

Sorry my photos are lackluster this evening. I did a little trouble shooting with my DSLR and confirmed (after purchasing two new cards and having the same error happen to both of them) it wasn’t the SD card. Tomorrow I’m bringing my baby to a camera shop in Orlando and am already crossing my fingers for a quick and pain free recovery. Wish us luck!

1 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries October 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Your grilled sandwich looks SO good!! I would’ve never even thought of using leftover soup for something like that.

Do you know where I can find those Justin’s PB cups?! Or maybe I don’t want to know… πŸ˜‰
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Wedding Series: The Reception Part II

2 Meghann October 19, 2011 at 10:32 am

I would think Whole Foods, but the website is only telling me where to find the nut butters and not the peanut butter cups. What area are you in and I’ll ask my contact?

3 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries October 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

Ok, I can check Whole Foods. I’m in the SLC, UT area. Thanks! πŸ™‚
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #6: Recipe Favorites

4 Katherina October 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I have to admit, those are the type of meals I’d totally eat but wouldn’t tell anyone about!

5 Alexa @ SimpleEats October 18, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Can you write a “how to use leftovers cookbook?” You always impress me with your leftovers skills. Mine is just throw it in a tupperware and call it lunch.
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Crazy Good Granola

6 Meghann October 19, 2011 at 10:31 am

haha – maybe that’s the cookbook niche I’ve been waiting for? πŸ™‚

7 Meghan R October 18, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Where are you taking your camera in Orlando? I have a Nikon DSLR that needs some work and I’m not sure where to take it.

8 Katherina October 18, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Try Colonial Photo & Hobby!

9 Meghann October 19, 2011 at 10:31 am

That’s where I’m going! πŸ™‚

10 Katherina October 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Stop by Dandy πŸ™‚

11 Army Amy* October 19, 2011 at 12:11 am

Interesting use for soup!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Race Docket

12 michelle October 19, 2011 at 2:02 am

I had a huge pot of chili as left overs for the past 2 days that my husband and I have been eating. Mmmmm.
michelle recently posted..Metz, France and Luxembourg City

13 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 19, 2011 at 6:41 am

I love using up every bit of leftovers. I hate throwing out food. Looks like two great ways to enjoy the soup!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Compromise ziti

14 Lauren October 19, 2011 at 6:59 am

Now that is one interesting sandwich! I love your creativity. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..My Confession (When I Hit Rockbottom): Part 2

15 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 19, 2011 at 7:07 am

i have to say, you’ve outdone me, meghann! ha. usually i’ve done something almost as crazy as your latest meal creation, but soup ON a sandwich?! genius!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..london {day one: explorers}

16 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 19, 2011 at 7:25 am

I love those peanut butter cups as well – they’re so tasty!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..guessing games

17 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 19, 2011 at 7:34 am

I’ve tried Justine’s dark chocolate cups before – so good! I broke one up and put it in my oatmeal… it was amazing.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Exciting Package and WIAW

18 Meghann October 19, 2011 at 10:30 am

I like this oatmeal idea! I’ll have to try it!

19 Britt @ Run with Britt October 19, 2011 at 7:53 am

You are always so creative with throwing together leftovers to make something gourmet! Those peanut butter cups look so good. I must find me some ASAP!
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..My Running Journey Part 1

20 Brittany October 19, 2011 at 7:55 am

I have never thought of this!! Such a great idea πŸ˜€

21 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) October 19, 2011 at 7:59 am

I *love* this idea — especially because I like the idea of grilled cheese but am not a huge cheese fan. I don’t know where you get these crazy ‘recipe’ ideas sometimes but they seem to work! πŸ˜‰

22 Amanda October 19, 2011 at 8:16 am

Yum! Those peanut butter cups look so good! I’m actually planning on making my own pb cups (with a twist!) later this week. πŸ™‚

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 19, 2011 at 9:02 am

That is def a weird idea of using soup, but I get the jist of why it would/could be delicious!!

Good luck with the camera πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

24 Cait's Plate October 19, 2011 at 9:07 am

This looks incredible! I LOVE tempeh and definitely want to try out both of these things πŸ™‚

As for that peanut butter cup?? HOLY YUM. There are no other words.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Few Words

25 Ali @ Ali Runs October 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

I never would have thought to use soup as a filler for a sandwich! You’re far more creative in the kitchen than I ever will be. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Last Long Run

26 Faith @ For the Health of It October 19, 2011 at 10:00 am

That sandwich looks pretty unbeatable! I have a pumpkin soup in my freezer that I’ll have to try this with.

Do you know where those PB cups are being sold? I need to try them…but whole foods wasnt stocking them as of last night!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Baked Butternut Squash Rolls with Cashew Crème Dipping Sauce

27 Meghann October 19, 2011 at 10:23 am

I know they’re not sold in Florida, but I only know that because my contact told me. Where are you located and I might be able to track down and answer.

28 Faith @ For the Health of It October 19, 2011 at 8:56 pm

What a bummer! I’m in Orlando – guess I’ll have to keep my eye peeled if I go on a road trip.

29 wymberley October 19, 2011 at 10:18 am

Hoe do you get all these samples? I looked for the food sample program on food buzz and couldnt find it…

30 Meghann October 19, 2011 at 10:33 am

It’s called Tastemakers and you have to be a member of Foodbuzz to take advantage of it. Are you a member?

31 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy October 19, 2011 at 11:45 am

Yum, love the soup on sandwich combo. Very resourceful!
So glad you liked the cups!

32 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy October 19, 2011 at 11:49 am

Yum, that soup on sandwich combo looks great. It’s like food recycling.
So glad you enjoyed the cups! Love Katie’s idea to crumble it atop oatmeal too. x

33 Nikki October 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Ummm so how do I get my hands on those PB cups!!?!?!?!?!? They sound AMAZING.

34 Allison October 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

You are so creative! I would never think of soup ON my sandwich!

I need to find me some of those chocolate peanut butter cups ASAP- yummm…

35 Jaclyn @ Justins Nut Butter October 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Thanks Meghann! We appreciate your support and so glad that you enjoyed the peanut butter cups! πŸ™‚ And Ashley, you can buy the peanut butter cups on our website at http://justinsnutbutter.com/shop.php, and Whole Foods sells Justins as well! The peanut butter cups are definitely a hit! My co-worker, Casey is a huge fan and follower of yours! Happy Eating!

36 Hope October 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I would never think to put soup on a sandwich but it looks great! Oh my! Those Justin’s peanut butter cups look heavenly! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Veil…