I Could Show You…

by Meghann on October 17, 2011

I could show you step-by-step photos of the delicious soup I made for dinner. (P-Nutty Sweet Potato and Rutabaga – yum!)

I could show you the new photo collage I’m working on above the beverage center. (I’m finally starting to fill in that blank green space!)

Or I could show you the almond butter and graham cracker snack I had this afternoon.

BUT, none of those photos exist anymore.

My camera ate them. Bad camera!

IMAG0965.jpg

My little buddy has been giving me card reading errors for the last couple of days and each error is followed with an automatic re-formating of the SD card – not good. Looks like a trip to the camera repair shop is in order for tomorrow. I’ve already researched three in the area and plan to call each of them as soon as they open in the morning. My fingers are crossed they can fix my baby!

My only history with out-of-warreny camera issues hasn’t been good. Could someone please calm my mind with a camera issue story that has a happy ending? Anyone?!?! :/

1 Lauren @ HealthyHungry October 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I had a camera that was out of warranty that miraculously stopped working about 5 days before my high-school graduation (this was about 5 and a half years ago), which was also about a week before I was supposed to leave for Europe for 3 months. I obviously started freaking out, and took it to future shop (not sure if they have those in the U.S) and they informed me that because my warranty had expired, I would have had to send it away for 3 months.

I started crying right there in the store. Granted, I was 18 at the time but still!

I decided to screw future shop, and soon after took it to a local camera repair shop. They not only repaired it for me within 1 week (I had to borrow my parents camera for the grad), but ALSO informed that future shop funded repairs through their shop! The store just decided not to tell me this apparently.

Anyways, I got my camera back in time, and took many amazing pictures. My advice: take it straight to a small repair shop πŸ™‚

2 Meghann October 18, 2011 at 10:36 am

Thanks! I’m taking it to a highly recommended local spot in Orlando tomorrow.

3 Meghan October 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Sounds like your card is corrupted and you just need a new one.

4 Meghann October 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’ve tried three separate SD cards (I have quite a collection in the house) and they all work fine in other cameras and work sometimes in the DSLR. It just decides to give the error every once in a while. πŸ™

5 Silvia @ skinny jeans food October 17, 2011 at 10:29 pm

It could be a camera problem or a card problem. Most SD cards wear out at some point (especially if stores just like less than 1 GB and you upload and erase a lot). Can you test a brand new card? You could also try a firmware update of your camera. You can download those from Canon; hook up the camera via cable to your laptop, and it basically will do a new install of the software on the camera.

If neither helps, time for the camera repair shop. Typically, it is a $150 fixed price to look at any problem. For a SLR, it might be cheaper than a new one.
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Easy Italian plum tart

6 Christine @ BookishlyB October 17, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I was just going to say that too. It seems like most electronic devices are meant to replace these days, rather than fix :/
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Home Improvement

7 Meghann October 18, 2011 at 10:41 am

I’ve tried a few different SD cards and none of them are working, but work in other cameras. I’ll pick up a new card, but the biggest problem is that it’s doing the error very randomly. Like, I had a full day’s worth of photos on the camera and it decided to backfire on me, then it just went on taking photos like normal. Other times it’s right when I put the card in. I would love to try the firmware update, but I don’t even have the cord to plug the camera in the computer. Gulp. i’m taking the camera to a local repair shop in Orlando that came highly recommended. At this point $150 is much better than $500 for a new camera. πŸ™

8 Sana October 17, 2011 at 11:01 pm

It might be the card and not the camera!
Sana recently posted..Day 17: Technology

9 Meghann October 18, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’ve tried three separate cards and they all work fine in other cameras. πŸ™

10 Teacher Girl October 17, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Agree with all the comments above. It is more likely the card than the camera. Cards wear easily, cameras do not. Good luck!
Teacher Girl recently posted..Currently, in the life of TG… {4}

11 Meghann October 18, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’ve tried different cards – it isn’t the problem. πŸ™

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 17, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Best of luck!! Wish I could help, but alas I’d probably cause more problems than help. Haha πŸ˜‰
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Pumpkin Trivia

13 Lish October 17, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I’d definitely buy another card before you consider the shop. I had the same problem and a new card solved the problem. Of course not before my camera ate my pictures a few times, including those of my little bro’s wedding. Grrrr!

14 Meghann October 18, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’ve tried different cards. πŸ™

15 Army Amy* October 17, 2011 at 11:36 pm

That sounds un-fun. I know 0% about gadgets. I hope you get it worked out!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Happiness is…

16 Turtle-speed runner October 18, 2011 at 12:02 am

Umm… camera issue that had a happy ending I can sort of give you πŸ™‚
I was in a car accident where the camera was sitting in the car seat beside me… the car did a complete roll (on to the roof and back onto the wheels again) and my little camera was perfectly fine, except the lens protector was permanently stuck to the lens cap, and there was a small dent. Don’t know if that really counts haha but I thought it was pretty good!!
Turtle-speed runner recently posted..Procrastination in many forms…

17 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 18, 2011 at 5:10 am

sad! that dinner sounds delish πŸ™‚

18 Mara@ what's for dinner October 18, 2011 at 6:38 am

Hey meghann!
I had a similar problem with my camera and found something interesting out: the canon xsi, t2i, and others from that generation are missing software that allows them to properly use larger size SD cards. Mine can only handle up to an 8 gig card. I don’t know if you’re using a larger SD card or not, but switching to a smaller one solved my very same problem. Hope that helps!
Mara@ what’s for dinner recently posted..Birthday Wishes and Frosting Dreams

19 Meghann October 18, 2011 at 10:46 am

I’m using a 1 GB and a 4 GB. I’m going to thrash the old ones and buy a new 1 GB and see if that helps. Fingers crossed!

20 Corey @ Learning Patience October 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

Sorry – so frustrating! The soup sounds good though!
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Pushing Myself

21 Cait's Plate October 18, 2011 at 9:02 am

GAH! I hate when that happens!!

22 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona October 18, 2011 at 9:56 am

I hate when technology breaks, it’s so frustrating! Good luck getting it fixed quickly and cheaply.
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Drinking Water

23 robin October 18, 2011 at 10:29 am

If you’re up for mailing it, Camera Repair Japan here in Atlanta is fantastic. (I (and all of the pros I know) use them and we’ve all had very good experiences.)

On a side note, have you tried a new card? Could be a card issue. Also, be sure that instead of deleting photos when you dump your card, you reformat (just go into the menu and reformat the card (it will automatically delete the photos and avoid any formatting issues.)

Feel free to email me if you want more info about CRJ or anything else.