more ยป" />

Sunday Rest Day

by Meghann on October 16, 2011

Good Morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

Some runners take the day after a long run to get in a quick recovery run, but I’m a big believer in being lazy, sleeping in, eating good food, and just enjoying the day. I’m hardcore, but I’m not that hardcore.

Of course, post-long run Sundays require pancakes.

It’s been a while since I’ve made Kath’s Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes, but the occasion seemed to call for it. I wanted something hearty and easy to make. The pancakes cooked up in no time and I added a smear of almond butter, cinnamon apples, and chocolate granola to pump them up up a bit.

Confession: I burnt the pancakes.

Confession: I kind of liked burnt pancakes – the crispy black part is the best part.

Confession: I’m strange sometimes.

What’s your strategy the day following a long run? Recovery run? Rest? Another long run?

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 16, 2011 at 11:53 am

Usually I do complete rest after long runs but training for my half this time around I’m doing NROLFW the day after with stretching and usually a long walk. I think it actually helps me be less sore for some reason!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Vegetable barley chili

2 Kassidy October 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I make those pancakes all the time! I love them. Just made pumpkin pancakes this morning, delicious.

3 Hillary October 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm

How bizarre! I made Kath’s pumpkin oatmeal pancakes for breakfast this morning, too. I have to make them at least a few times every fall, and this morning was just perfect for them. Great minds think alike, huh?
Hillary recently posted..Fall (In Love)

4 Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 16, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I think the remainder of the day of a long run is most important. I usually do a 40-60 minute swim or a 40-60 minute bike. Slow, of course. But my legs are ready for speedwork 2 days later, so it must be better than sitting on the couch all day.

Day after, you know, it depends. But, activity besides running is probably best. Because I’m heavier, it’s hard for me to really use running as recovery. My joints protest.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Recchiuti: Peanut Butter Pucks

5 Britt @ runwithbritt October 16, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I always recover with a big breakfast the morning after, some trashy reality tv, and a light elliptical workout. Ps. Burnt pancakes are the bees knees!
Britt @ runwithbritt recently posted..Marathon Training Week 14 Recap

6 michelle October 16, 2011 at 12:24 pm

It just depends on how I feel. Sometimes I’ll do a few miles and sometimes I’ll just rest.
michelle recently posted..Colder Weather, Travel Plans, and More

7 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) October 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I never run the day after a long run. Sometimes I’ll do some light cardio at the gym, but 90% of the time it’s a rest day. Especially after a 20 mile run! That requires a lot of couch time to recover ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Chicago- The Food

8 Khushboo October 16, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Oh Pancakes are definitely needed on a recovery day! I agree with your idea of a recovery day..some do yoga, I do jack all and I enjoy every second of the inactivity ๐Ÿ™‚
Khushboo recently posted..*Insert* witty title

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 16, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Haha I love things burnt… I like burnt popcorn, toast, the burnt edges of casseroles… the list goes on and on. I usually do a strength training workout the day after a long run, using the elliptical for cardio so my knees can have a break.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Pumpkin Bread and HIIT Running!

10 Fit Chick Britt October 16, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I like burnt pancakes too ๐Ÿ™‚
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Three Things Thursday: Thankful Edition

11 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 16, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Days after long runs are definitely meant for resting. No WAY would I attempt another long run..not even an easy one!

12 Cait's Plate October 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Definitely rest. Usually some yoga. DEFINITELY pancakes ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Emily@SavoryandSavage October 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I always take a full rest day after a long run. At most I may do some Yin yoga but that is just to stretch out.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..The no-plan plan

14 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm

definitely in the “rest day” camp on this one. i try and take a long walk with the dogs to work out my legs, but other than that, couch time is #1 on my list!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..pooped puppies.

15 Army Amy* October 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I’m not that hardcore either. I always like a day (or two) of rest after a long run.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Putter There!

16 Siena October 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I like resting after a long run too!
Siena recently posted..Day 4: 50 Burpees for 50 Days

17 Carissa October 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Hello yummy pancakes!! I am a very un-hardcore runner! I get in my long runs and then rest, rest, rest the next day. Although I know I should recover…I’m just tooo tired! I’m a slow, recreational runner so that’s my stand! ๐Ÿ™‚
Carissa recently posted..Lucky Legs

18 Brittany October 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I love having my rest days on Sunday. It allows me to just relax all day and definitely make a late, yummy breakfast ๐Ÿ™‚
Brittany recently posted..Sleeping In Wins

19 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm

now i am serioulsy craving pancakes lol
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Pregnancy Update โ€“ Week 19

20 Debby October 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Don’t worry I like burnt pancakes as well! So don’t worry you aren’t strange, or we both are =]
Debby recently posted..A Day of Cinnamon

21 Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle October 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Pancakes are always a good call! I like completely resting the day after too. I usually try to stretch A LOT and drink tons of water and eat lots of bananas. There’s nothing better than rewarding yourself with a day off after running a long one.
Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle recently posted..Hosted My First Party in My First Home

22 Susanne October 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I’m all for recovery runs – I did not used to do them and have incorporated into my training since June and honestly feel it’s helped my overall fitness. There are of course a number of articles out there but here’s just one: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/A_fresh_perspective_on_recovery_runs.htm

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 16, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I am ALL about Sundays as rest days. I park my butt in church for a few hours and at home on a bed or a couch. It is pretty awesome–and it makes me work harder the other 6 days! ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Lunges

24 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy October 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I like my toast as close to burnt as possible. Let’s unite in our strangeness
Casey @ Insatiably Healthy recently posted..Take That Egg McMuffin

25 Corey @ Learning Patience October 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I love burnt stuff too…my husband & I actually fight over the burnt stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚
We did a killer run today and tomorrow I will be lazy ALL day!
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Giving Thanks – Week 17

26 Ali @ Ali Runs October 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I usually follow a long run day with a total rest day. Mostly because after running the long run, I need a MENTAL break from running. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..One Year

27 Hilary October 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I’m all for being lazy and resting…heck yeah!
Hilary recently posted..Sum it up Sunday: 2011/10/16

28 Marie October 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Thanks for the link; I tried out the recipe last weekend and we all loved it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

29 Sophie October 22, 2011 at 10:53 am

Mmmmm Sunday pancakes ๐Ÿ™‚
Sophie recently posted..What I Learned From Being A Big Sister.