more ยป" />

Oktoberfest

by Meghann on October 16, 2011

Every October I’m reminded why I put up living in the sunshine state from June – September. The weather may me a tad painful though the four hottest months of the year, but – once the cooler weather kicks in – it’s worth every drop of sweat. (you’ll just have to remind me of this statement next summer ;))

Today was one of those days where it was just too pretty to stay inside. The clear skies and low humidity had Derek and I itching to get outside and the Tampa Oktoberfest seemed to be our ticket out.

300743_276158455744815_147824355244893_1051660_2004361136_n.jpg

I discovered the Oktoberfest via my Facebook newsfeed last week. It was advertised as a celebration of German beer and food with a heavy emphasis on fun and games. I’ve never been to an actual Oktoberfest celebration and thought it would be fun.

Derek and I headed to the festival a little after 1:00; hungry and ready for lunch. We immediately purchased some food and beer tickets and made it our priority to locate a couple of brats.

We grabbed two plates to share.

The bratwurst platter with german potato salad and saurkraut.

And a pretzel with cheese sauce and spicy mustard.

I love German food. It’s one of those things I don’t order or eat often, but when I do – I enjoy every bite. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course, it wouldn’t be a true Oktoberfest without a little beer to wash all the good German food down with.

The Oktoberfest beer was just ok. I’ve been on such a pumpkin beer kick lately, that it’s hard for me to enjoy anything else. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Unfortunately the festival was lacking something. Ummm…. people.

Without the crowds, there was no energy and the festival sort of fizzled out. Derek and I ate, drank beer, and did a quick 5 minute lap before giving up and heading to our next stop. We were both pretty bummed because we had such high hopes for the festival. Oh, well. Maybe next year? ๐Ÿ™‚

We made a quick pit stop at Ikea on the way home and used our ninja like skills to grab what we needed and get in and out in less than 10 minutes ( I think that may be a new world record). It would have been faster had it not been for the darn long lines at check-out. Darn you self check out!

Derek made a deal that if I waited in line on my own that he would buy me an ice cream cone.

Worth it.

IMG_0039.jpg

I forgot how amazing soft serve ice cream is, the stuff on the cruise ship was, ummm, less than desirable. Ikea’s soft serve is next to soft serve perfection. The fact that it’s only $1 makes it even more desirable in my mind.

IMG_0038.jpg

Other pit stops included Publix, Whole Foods, and Target. It felt like one of those days where were just kept thinking of ‘one more thing’ that we needed.

I came home and had a thing of applesauce with granola as I began dinner.

What was on the menu tonight?

Pork ribs!

IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0047.JPG

Random selection from the meat counter for me, but they looked and sounded so good! I rubbed them with a bbq spice and cooked them low and long at 350 for 90 minutes.

When they were done I drizzled a little bbq sauce on top – just enough for a little flavor, but not enough to drench them where all you taste is the sauce and not the yummy meat. So. Good.

On the side I pan fried some rutabaga with onion and horseradish.

The horseradish gave the rutabaga a little kick of spice and flavor. I’ve never tried cooking rutabaga in this form before, but I really enjoyed it (and Derek did too!). The texture and overall flavor reminded me more of a butternut squash than potatoes in a good way.

Some steamed green beans gave the meal the touch of green it was missing.

Dark chocolate to calm my nightly sweet tooth.

Derek and I are watching a Man V. Food marathon that our DVR recorded while we were away. Anyone else miss when Adam did the challenges?! The other guys just don’t seem to have the spirit and determination that Adam has in finishing!

Good Night!

1 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 16, 2011 at 9:35 pm

you are such a good cook meghann! ok, i say that without ever having tasted your food, but your pictures certainly show you know what you’re doing in the kitchen. YUM! these look awesome.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 Meghann October 17, 2011 at 10:33 am

haha thanks. Though now I’m nervous that if you ever do taste my food that you’ll be disappointed!

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I’ve been thinking of ice cream allllll day but now that I see some dark chocolate, that sounds just as good – and I have that! Sweet! (pun intended ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Time To Start Training

4 Cait's Plate October 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm

That looks like SUCH a fun day! Love the pretzels and mustard…best part of Oktoberfests!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..The Stuff Sundays Are Made Ofโ€ฆ

5 Ali @ Ali Runs October 16, 2011 at 9:38 pm

It’s too bad the Oktoberfest was such a bust! You would think with the cooler temperatures, more people would be out enjoying the weather! At least you had a productive day! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..One Year

6 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete October 16, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Personally, I’m glad Adam stopped doing all the challenges himself. I can’t even imagine the health dangers of consuming all the crazy food he ate!
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Feeling Left Behind

7 Meghann October 17, 2011 at 10:34 am

I’m sure he was. You can definitely see the difference in his weight from the first season to the last one.

8 Lindsey October 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm

When we went on a cruise back in January the soft serve ice cream wasn’t very good either! I made me very sad! haha
Lindsey recently posted..Itโ€™s Pumpkin Time!

9 Meghann October 17, 2011 at 10:34 am

The funny part is – I remember it being good when I was younger! I guess my tastebuds have just evolved or they’re getting cheap on the soft serve.

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 16, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I lived in Germany and Austria for over a year and a half and boy did I fall in love with those pretzels!! SO delicious ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Lunges

11 Meghann October 17, 2011 at 10:35 am

I bet you those pretzels were a million times better than the one I had. I can’t even imagine how good they are over there!

12 ~Christy @ wonderofallthings October 16, 2011 at 10:09 pm

the pork ribs look fantastic! and too bad about the festival…what’s a festival without the people??

13 Tiffany @ texan on the run October 16, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Wait so what was derek doing while you were waiting in line??

14 Meghann October 17, 2011 at 10:35 am

Getting ice cream.

15 Alaina October 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm

That stinks that the festival had no people! The food and drink can be so good but it definitely lacks in fun when there’s no people.

Hope you have a good week!
Alaina recently posted..Iโ€™m Getting Better!

16 Krystina (Organically Me) October 16, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Boo to no people. ๐Ÿ™ But hell yes to Ikea soft serve! I want a big soft serve so bad.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Meet Lily

17 Katie October 16, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Bummer on the festival! I love beer, german pretzels, german food…so fun in the fall! My fiancรฉ and I went out for an Oktoberfest dinner this weekend, so delicious! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie recently posted..Weekend Inspiration

18 Lauren October 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Sorry about the lame fest but dinner looks delicious.
Lauren recently posted..Five for Friday – Sick Edition

19 Sana October 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Ikea also has good food! I usually eat while the fam shops!
Sana recently posted..Day 16: Long Exposure

20 Army Amy* October 16, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I’m drooling over that pretzel! It looks so good!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Putter There!

21 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 17, 2011 at 1:11 am

i was lucky enough to attend the REAL oktoberfest when i was studying abroad junior year of college. there is seriously nothing like it… but my boring, settled down self can no longer hang like that!!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..a pretty packed sunday.

22 Meghann October 17, 2011 at 10:38 am

My life goal would be to go to the real Oktoberfest one day. I’m pretty sure I could only handle it once in a lifetime, but it would be worth it!

23 Laura October 17, 2011 at 2:09 am

Love your plaid shirt; it really suits you.

24 Meghann October 17, 2011 at 10:38 am

Thanks! It’s a favorite of mine that I’ve had since college. ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine October 17, 2011 at 6:35 am

A good Oktoberfest definitely needs people. ๐Ÿ™ At least you had yummy German food!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..The Covered Bridge Festival

26 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 17, 2011 at 6:49 am

Love German pretzels! Sorry the festival was sort of a bust, but at least you didn’t have to wait in any lines!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Bento Birthday

27 Tess October 17, 2011 at 6:52 am

I miss the old Man vs. Food so much! Man vs. Food Nations just isn’t the same. So glad you mentioned that…I’m right there with you
Tess recently posted..midterm woes

28 Hillary October 17, 2011 at 7:13 am

I feel the same way about Man Vs Food Nation. Poor Adam was probably looking out for his own health when he gave up the challenges, but I miss his approach!
Hillary recently posted..(Low Chub) Pumpkin Date Bread

29 Hope October 17, 2011 at 7:46 am

That festival looks fun! The pretzel looks amazing! I’ve never had German food but I’d be interested to try it.
Hope recently posted..An Easy Chili Kind Of Nightโ€ฆ

30 Britt @ Run with Britt October 17, 2011 at 7:49 am

Too bad all the people were MIA. That’s kinda awkward that y’all were like the only ones there. Haha. ๐Ÿ™‚ Is Adam not on Man v Food anymore? He like made the show, it wouldn’t be the same without him.
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Marathon Training Week 14 Recap

31 Meghann October 17, 2011 at 10:42 am

He’s still on it, but he’s just the host. He now recruits other people from around the country to take on the challenges. It’s a good concept, but the people they pick just sort of give up – they don’t have the same determination as Adam had.

32 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run October 17, 2011 at 7:53 am

Your bad cruise soft serve makes me sad. I just went on a Bahamas cruise on Royal Carribean a few months ago and they had the BEST soft serve I’ve ever had. I don’t even like strawberry and their strawberry was kickin’. When I mentioned it to someone that worked there, she told me they make it from scratch every morning. Yum!
Maybe you need to write Carnival a friendly email from one of their best customers. hee! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..I Love Days Like These

33 Lee October 17, 2011 at 8:00 am

Wait, Adam doesn’t do the challenges anymore?? I obviously haven’t watched the show in a while, but what?
Lee recently posted..The Pumpkin Trick

34 Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes October 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

A festival with no people? That’s my kind of day!! ;P The food looks so good, I’ve been wanting to find an Oktoberfest around here to go to.
Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes recently posted..Johnโ€™s Pass

35 Faith @ For the Health of It October 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

I’m a terrible German – I hate most of our food! I’ll take the potatoes…and maybe the cabbage if it isn’t done terribly…that’s about it :/ The festival looks like fun though – any excuse to go and be around gobs of food!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Redemption Tortillas

36 Jessica October 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Wait a minute…IKEA serves ice cream? We don’t have an IKEA where I live so I’ve never been. Isn’t it a furniture store?