Chicago Flashback!

by Meghann on October 9, 2011

Happy Marathon Day Chicago Runners!!!

Tomorrow it will be exactly one year since I ran 26.2 miles of Chicago.

IMG_3031.jpg

It was – and remains – my favorite marathon of all time. Nothing can compare with the energy and scenery that the famous flat course is known for. From running by the famous Chicago sign, to turning into chinatown, and the Nike mile boosting ‘You. Are. About. To. Finish. THE. Chicago. Marathon.’ at mile 24 – I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Other highlights included spending the weekend in Chicago with friends and crossing the finish line with my sister. It was a fantastic race that I wish I could live over and over again.

Enjoy this race runners and remember to take in every moment like it’s your last. Chicago is a race for the record books – give it hell!!!

IMG_3013.jpg

What’s your favorite marathon?!

1 Allison October 9, 2011 at 7:19 am

I have good friends running Chi today! I’ve never done it but Richmond remains my favorite. I like some rolling hills – flat just kills my quads since I train on hills – but I would like to check Chicago off the list one day.

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 9, 2011 at 7:28 am

I didn’t realize you ran Chicago! I live here and honestly, haha, it’s a bit of a pain since it goes through my neighborhood. But it’s so much fun and the whole city is just crazy all weekend!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Sword in the Cake

3 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) October 9, 2011 at 8:11 am

I am sitting at the starting line of the Chicago Marathon right now waiting to start! I came here to reread your recap last year- it was so inspirational and made me want to run the race this year. I am so excited!!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..I’m Running a Marathon Tomorrow

4 Elizabeth October 9, 2011 at 8:47 am

Columbus is great!! But I wanna run Chicago soo bad!!

5 Ali @ Ali Runs October 9, 2011 at 9:10 am

I loved reading all of your (and Kelly & Bobbi’s) race stories/recaps from Chicago so much that running Chicago is on my marathon bucket list! 🙂
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Perfect Fall Run!

6 Ericka Andersen October 9, 2011 at 9:16 am

Ahh back before I lived in healthy living blogworld. I ran Chicago last year as well. It was gorgeous, though a difficult marathon for me. I was thinking about it this morning, though, kind of jealous of all the runners there today. But…I’ve got my marathon NEXT weekend in Baltimore 🙂
Ericka Andersen recently posted..Got My New Shoes On

7 RunTheLine October 9, 2011 at 9:36 am

Hello from across the pond! I have always wanted to run Chicago so am thinking about signing up for next year – do you think it is a good marathon or if you had the choice of running it again would you run a different city?
RunTheLine recently posted..Beginner Half Marathon Training Plans

8 Corey @ Learning Patience October 9, 2011 at 9:39 am

Wow – it sounds like Chicago is definitely a fun one to run… 🙂
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Edamame Dip and Last Night’s Lime

9 Wendy October 9, 2011 at 10:02 am

I really loved Chicago, but I ran Twin Cities this year and it’s my new favorite! It has some hills, but the course and crowd were AMAZING!

10 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 9, 2011 at 10:10 am

i’ve run chicago twice and it is a race near and dear to my heart! it’s the course i ran my first marathon and qualified for boston. great memories 🙂
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..E.A.T in ATL

11 Army Amy* October 9, 2011 at 10:46 am

Sounds like a great race! And the medals are huge!*
Army Amy* recently posted..These are my people

12 Britt @ Run with Britt October 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

I ran a half in Chicago in August and loved every minute of it. I want to do the full next year so badly! I do have to convince my Mom, however… 🙂
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Holy Guacamole, 20 Miles!

13 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner October 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

I’m still mad that I didn’t make it to the meet up last year! I loved Chicago and WILL run it again! I’ve only run 2 marathons, but that one took the cake – even if it was my worst race ever. Such a great racing atmosphere!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..the significance of this weekend

14 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 9, 2011 at 11:31 am

Well I’ve only run one full, but the two I want to run the most are Chicago and NYC!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..The Real Reason…

15 Liz October 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I’ve never run a marathon, but I think the first one I’d like to do is Vegas – running at night on the strip?!? What’s not to love about that? 😉

16 Christine @ BookishlyB October 9, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’ve never run a full, and probably never will, but I’ve done 8 or 9 halves. My favorite is probably Disneyland, which is ironic because I’m not a “Disney person” (I know, blasphemous on this site). I also love the Surf City Half in Huntington Beach CA, and the San Francisco first half.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Together We Can Make a Difference

17 Pamela @ Girl Gone West October 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I just ran my very first half – this morning, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon!!!!

Now I know what you’re talking about when you speak of this “runner’s high!” 🙂
Pamela @ Girl Gone West recently posted..Dancing and Dining

18 Heather @ Better With Veggies October 9, 2011 at 2:20 pm

My favorite marathon is NYC – no question, I will do that one again one day (after I cross the 10 state mark, I’ll sign up again :)). I had a bad race at Chicago, so I don’t have great memories of it – but that’s not the fault of the race at all.

It was so fun watching the race online this morning – Moses is just freakin fast! And my favorite runner, Ryan Hall, broke the American Record for the 30K mark.
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Recipe: Buffalo Chikn Dip {VeganMoFo}

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm

oh FUN! I loved running the St George marathon. It was awesome!! And super pretty 🙂
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Week Exhaustion

20 Brittany October 9, 2011 at 3:26 pm

It looks like so much fun! I would LOVE to see that sign at mile 24. I’d probably sprint the whole way (or crawl) just from excitement 🙂

21 Billie October 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm

It is the Liverpool Marathon today too. I was there.
Billie recently posted..Bubblegum…

22 Laura October 9, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I’m planning to run it next year. Can’t wait! Have fun on your vacation!
Laura recently posted..Quick trip to Astoria