17 miles? Done! Now, it’s vacation time!

by Meghann on October 8, 2011

5:00am wake up.

5 hours of sleep.

17 miles on the schedule.

5 Days of vacation starting at noon.

Let’s do this thing!

Chomp!

My goal was to branch out from my normal neighborhood route and do an out and back along the main road I live on. I didn’t realize it until I took off that I must not have run this route in the dark before. It was pitch black and – despite the blinking light I wear on my fuel belt – I was really nervous on my own.

I ran with only one earbud in and was super aware of my surroundings. I began to see the light when I made it to the heavily lit main road at mile 3 and the sun FINALLY rose at mile 9.

I had a gu chomp every three miles and refilled my water bottle at a Wal-Mart, Publix, and Walgreens along the way.

The 17 miles weren’t easy. I felt undertrained and had several ‘what the heck and I am doing’ thoughts that plagued the first half of my run. There were SEVERAL time I wanted to give up and just go home. It wasn’t until I got to the turn around point – and knew I was halfway done – that the ‘you can do this!’ thoughts started. It’s funny how much easier a run begins to feel once your halfway done.

I took it one mile at a time until I saw lucky 17 appear.

Done!

And just a tad crazy in the head.

I immediately made a recovery smoothie in a bowl.

In the mix:

• Frozen Cherries
  • Frozen Pineapple
  • Ice
  • Milk
  • Vanilla Yogurt
  • Chocolate Protein Powder
  • Chia Seeds

On top:

• Cinnamon Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • Good Run Granola

What’s that? It’s vacation time now? Sweet!

We’re off on a FIVE day cruise!!!!

I will have some internet access on the ship, but I plan to unplug as much as possible this coming week. This means no twitter, Facebook, or 24/7 access to gmail – the horror!

I have a few posts scheduled go up next week and I’ll be dropping in for a few updates about out time at sea. I’ll respond to comments and emails when I return – thanks in advance for your patience!

It’s cruise time!!

DSCN1885.JPG

FLASHBACK!

Bahamas Cruise – July 2009 – Vacation with Derek

1 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries October 8, 2011 at 10:13 am

Wow, strong work! Seriously, 17 miles the morning of leaving for vacation is really impressive to me. Have an awesome time – can’t wait to hear about it!!
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..What [Was] For Dinner: Sweet ‘N’ Spicy Salmon & Smashed Sweet Potatoes

2 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 8, 2011 at 10:16 am

Great job!!! Have a fantastic vacation!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Facing My Age

3 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

Awesome last minute run. Have a safe trip!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Perfect Friday

4 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

I doubt anyone else on that ship will be able to say they ran 17 miles before boarding. Have a great time!!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..The Boheme

5 Lizx October 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

Have a fabulous vacation! I’ve never been on a cruise, but would like to go on one next year, so you’ll have to give us details about your trip once you get back. 🙂

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 8, 2011 at 10:20 am

Have a great time on the cruise!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Saturday things

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 8, 2011 at 10:31 am

great job on the run! lol I’ve only done 7 miles, not 17! But I like to run straight out and back, that way once I make it to the halfway point I have to keep going, or I won’t get home! I also like to tell myself, you’re over halfway done, it’s all downhill from here! Lol that worked on 4 mile runs but might not be as good the further I get…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Sword in the Cake

8 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 8, 2011 at 10:40 am

The perfect way to start a vacation!! Great job! And safe travels!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Roasted pumpkin brains

9 Alaina October 8, 2011 at 10:48 am

Have a great great time on your cruise!! 🙂

10 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 8, 2011 at 10:59 am

Have a great vacation! Can’t wait to read the re-caps! 🙂
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..When do you Rest?

11 TanyaS October 8, 2011 at 11:05 am

17 miles without a partner? Wow, I struggle with motivation on double digit runs, but from now on I’m changing my mantra to “If Meghann can do 17 I can do 10” 🙂

12 Sophie October 8, 2011 at 11:06 am

Well done for getting the run in anyway! Have a great holiday Meghann, you deserve to relax!
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Friday

13 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 8, 2011 at 11:06 am

Whoop whoop have a fun cruise! Way to knock out a 17 miler!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..q & a: what to expect the day of your AFAA group fitness certification

14 Dione October 8, 2011 at 11:23 am

Great job on the run! Have fun on your cruise. 🙂

15 Christine @ BookishlyB October 8, 2011 at 11:26 am

I love that you go out and run 17 miles before you go on cruise. I’d be running around trying to find a bathing suit and trying to remember where my camera cord is. Have fun!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Together We Can Make a Difference

16 Rae October 8, 2011 at 11:35 am

17 miles before vaca? Sounds like something I would do. Relax and have fun now, you deserve it!
Rae recently posted..Five things Friday!

17 Ali @ Ali Runs October 8, 2011 at 11:38 am

Awesome job on the long run!! I had similar thoughts during my run this morning of what the heck am I doing?!

It’ll all work itself out! 🙂 Enjoy vacation!!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..You Can Do Anything

18 Kristen October 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

You deserve to totally unplug! In this hi-tech world, that’s the only way to truly escape and give you mind a break. Can’t wait to hear about the Cayman Islands since I’m considering it for a Carribean vacation stop for next spring!

19 Britt @ Run with Britt October 8, 2011 at 11:53 am

Dang nice job! Now you can have a celebratory margarita today! I can’t wait to hear all about your trip! Have fun!
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Holy Guacamole, 20 Miles!

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm

OH FUN!!! I can’t believe you did 17 miles before heading out on vacay….i guess that really means it is GO time.

Have a blast, girl!

21 Hillary October 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Way jealous! Enjoy your trip!
Hillary recently posted..In a Pinch

22 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs October 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Awesome job on the run! Have a fun trip!!

23 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm

wow! nice run, meghann. must feel great to have that out of the way… and a fabulous cruise is a perfect post-long run retreat 🙂 have fun!!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..of the moment {10.8.11}

24 Heather October 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Unplugging once in a while is good! Enjoy the cruise!
Heather recently posted..Take Me Out to the Ballgame

25 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Now THAT is how you start a VACAY!
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..My Morning Fartlek

26 Corey @ Learning Patience October 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Have a great cruise!
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Edamame Dip and Last Night’s Lime

27 Heather @ Better With Veggies October 8, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Congrats on your run this morning! Sounds like you were able to tackle everything those mental “demons” threw at you and just kept running. File that away for the next time you need that (like during the marathon) – it’s a good reminder that you can, in fact, keep running! 🙂

Enjoy your awesome vacation! 🙂
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..VeganizeIt! Fettuccine Alfredo + Tequila Tini {VeganMoFo}

28 Jaclyn October 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Have fun Meghann! I remember reading about your cruise last year and thinking it looked so great!
Jaclyn recently posted..I want to Try

29 erica October 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm

have fun on your cruise! 🙂 so exciting!
erica recently posted..condo progress: blinds!

30 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm

amazing run! what a great thing to do before a vacation. i hope you enjoy your vacation a ton, you deserve it ! 🙂
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..My Birthday Recap

31 Veronica October 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm

amazing! I hope someday I can run 17 miles! Such an inspiration
Veronica recently posted..My “rest” day.

32 Army Amy* October 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I hope y’all have a great vacay! Put your feet up and relax!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Fair State of Mind

33 Melissa October 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Way to run!! I once got up before the sun to run in my new neighborhood and didn’t realize how creepy it would be since we’re in the woods! Totally went back to bed!! Have fun!!!!!
Melissa recently posted..Family Time

34 Caitlin October 8, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Ahhh sweet job!!! Now go enjoy your vacay 🙂 I’m wicked jealous…
Caitlin recently posted..OFFICIALLY DAY ONE!