Doggie Camp

by Meghann on October 7, 2011

Good News! Maddie passed her doggie camp interview!

She even got bonus points for her ‘bubbly personality’ and ‘ability to get along well with others.’ I’m such a proud mama. πŸ™‚

Maddie’s previous doggie hotel recently closed, so I’ve been researching new places to leave her for when we go out of town next week. I found one online that isn’t exactly cheap, but really impressed me with their photos, facilities, and general dog philosophies. While there, Maddie will be granted indoor/outdoor play from sun up to sun down, be grouped with dogs her own weight and size, have a cozy cell all to herself at night, be provided with a daily report card, and I can watch her via the online webcam anytime I want.

Screen shot 2011-10-07 at 9.28.23 AM.png

Can you spot her? She’s the one in the trainer’s lap – she’s such a lap dog! πŸ™‚

I even liked that they did the interview process because that means they only let the good dogs in. No meanies allowed!

Part of the interview process is a free day of daycare, another bonus. Hopefully she’ll return tired and happy from a day of new friends.

When I scheduled the interview for 8am, I thought it would be fun to take Maddie for a quick run around a nearby park before hand.

I packed a post-run breakfast and headed out.

It didn’t even occur to me that the park wouldn’t open until 7:30. D’oh! We ended up waiting 20 minutes for the gates to open, but still managed to get a nice 2 mile run in.

After dropping Maddie off I headed to Whole Foods to eat breakfast and take advantage of the free WiFi. I was just going to buy an iced coffee, but this sign caught my eye.

A blended drink of espresso, almond milk, and vanilla? Ok, you got me – I’ll try it.

IMG_4127.jpg

It was really sweet, but I liked it. I think next time I would ask to go lighter on the vanilla. πŸ™‚

I also (finally!) used a free yogurt coupon from Healthy Living Summit. Has anyone else had a hard time locating the small Stonyfield yogurts lately?

The stash from home.

Impromptu bowl

All together

Done!

IMG_4134.jpg

I have a TON of stuff to do today before we leave on our cruise tomorrow! Only 24 more hours until I’m boarding a big ship and sailing away to the Caribbean! Woo hoo!

1 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine October 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

Is that Camp Bow Wow?? Those zoom cameras look familiar! πŸ™‚
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

2 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

we send our dog to a camp bow wow!! build up those points, Meghann!!!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Hipster Archenemy.

3 Carly October 7, 2011 at 10:26 am

Haha, I totally ID’d camp bow wow too! My shy guy LOVES camp bow wow…and I love that when we call and check on him they’re 100% honest about how he’s doing (so they’ll say if he’s been shy, if someone took him to play catch so he’d play with the other dogs, etc., instead of just blowing us off)
Carly recently posted..GD Quickie: Gotham City Imposters Preview Video

4 Ali @ Ali Runs October 7, 2011 at 10:30 am

I’m sure Maddie will love Doggie Camp. I like the idea of the webcam, so you’ll be able to see her on the cruise! We haven’t had to leave my dogs at a kennel because some family friends are always willing to take them, which is nice and saves $$.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..You Can Do Anything

5 Cait's Plate October 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

YAY! Good job Maddie!! πŸ™‚

6 Katie October 7, 2011 at 10:53 am

Hey Meghann! I live over in Merritt Island and I love following a local blogger! I just wanted to say that I have also had a hard time finding the small Stonyfield yogurts over here on the Island. Maybe we should ask Publix to stock them? Awesome blog! Have a great weekend!
Katie recently posted..Going Unprocessed

7 Meghann October 7, 2011 at 11:39 am

I’ve talked to a dairy person before and they said all the Publixes stopped carrying them. πŸ™ Maybe if we all join together they’ll bring them back? I put a request in at mine!

8 Jennifer Franke October 7, 2011 at 10:53 am

We use and swear by the potty bells as well. Our dog, Molly, will also use them if she is bored. She knows that if she rings them to go out when she doesn’t really have to go that she gets a 5 minute time-out in her crate. She is to the point now where she will still ring them if she is bored and then she will walk right to her crate and go in as soon as we come back inside. I can almost hear her saying “I know the rules mom, but I still did it because I was bored and it was worth it!” Sometimes she is too smart for her own good!
Enjoy your vacation!

9 Meghann October 7, 2011 at 11:40 am

haha- sounds like something Maddie would do. πŸ™‚

10 Anne October 7, 2011 at 10:56 am

Hooray! Our day care does an interview, too. I wish that they had a camera where I could check up on my girl. Apparently she has taken to sleeping most of the day. Glad I’m spending money for her to do that!
Anne recently posted..Training has gone to the dogs

11 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 7, 2011 at 11:05 am

Haha I love that, bringing your own food to whole foods! That drink does look delicious, I’ll have to try it when I go on sunday. And I’ll take your advice on the vanilla. At starbucks I always ask them to just put one pump of syrup in, because more than that is a bit much for me.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Yes, I Love Huffington Post

12 Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! October 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

I keep debating taking Harry & Daxter to doggie day care a few days a week, because I feel like they must get bored at home. But then I worry that Harry wouldn’t pass… urk. He’s the best dog evarrrrr… except with other dogs, hahaha.
Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! recently posted..Happy Happy Joy Joy

13 Meghann October 7, 2011 at 11:42 am

haha – sounds like Oliver (my sister’s dog) he’s the BEST dog ever, except when it comes to other dogs he doesn’t know. Maddie is great with other dogs, but will bark and shove her tail between her legs when an unfamiliar male figure walks by

14 Kelly October 8, 2011 at 9:35 am

I don’t think either of my dogs would pass the interview process. πŸ™ They are awesome dogs in familiar situations. Sadie hates new dogs, Oliver hates new people. Double fail.
Kelly recently posted..Pressure

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

Wahoo go Maddie!

I love your idea of grabbing b-fast from home and eating it there. Such a great way to save money and eat yummy homemade food!

16 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 7, 2011 at 11:15 am

love the makeshift breakfast!

you are going to love those days maddie spends at the doggy hotel. we take our pups and they are POOPED for 48 hours after.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..easy peasy whole wheat snickerdoodles

17 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 7, 2011 at 11:28 am

So glad Maddie will be in good hands while you’re gone. I hate leaving them, though! I get really sad to leave our pup at the boarders, but he loves it there so much. He gets to play with all his friends!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..A very special birthday

18 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 7, 2011 at 11:31 am

Do you have room please in your suitcase? I pack pretty small and have never been on a cruise!
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..My Morning Fartlek

19 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

The poster of that iced coffee looks kind of amazing! I want some now.. too bad it’s like the arctic in my office!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Update your google readers

20 Corey @ Learning Patience October 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

Maddie is adorable…. πŸ™‚ Enjoy your cruise – have SO much fun! Can’t wait to see all the fun pictures!
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Butterflies, Bamboo and Bugs – My Best Photos Yet

21 Hillary October 7, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I am so, so jealous that you guys are cruising tomorrow! My boyfriend and I are both in grad school, and we have big plans of taking a tropical getaway when we both graduate. Cannot. Wait.
Hillary recently posted..In a Pinch

22 Deva @ Deva by Definition October 7, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I haven’t really had any issues finding the small cups of Stonyfield, but I live in a diff state and shop at a diff grocer. I’ve been going for plain Greek yogurt lately, because it has been on sale!
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Sorry, Im Not Sorry

23 Britt @ Run with Britt October 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Maddie is adorable! I’m happy she passed her interview. πŸ™‚ I’m sure she’ll have tons of fun and make doggie friends πŸ™‚ Have a blast on your cruise! I wish I could take a vac-ay!
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Southwestern Sweet Potato and Crazy Elliptical Girl

24 erica October 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm

great job maddie! πŸ™‚ i wish my dog’s groomers/day care place had a web cam! although i think i’d be glued to it all day! lol
erica recently posted..condo progress: blinds!

25 Army Amy* October 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm

It’s got to be a load off your mind to know that Maddie will be in good hands while you’re on vacay. I worry endlessly about my dog when I go out of town.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Family Time

26 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Love the doggy daycare thing! We don’t board our dog as we live near family members, but if we didn’t live near anyone I’m sure we would board.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday – 3 day weekend style

27 Alaina October 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Way to go Maddie!

Yeah! Your trip is almost here! πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..The Taste of Perkins

28 Jess@atasteofconfidence October 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm

That’s so cool you can watch him via webcam!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Insane Motivation

29 Marisa E October 8, 2011 at 9:39 am

Is that a Camp Bow Wow? I take my Min Pin to one here in South Jersey. He loves it. This year was the first year we’ve ever had to board Rico and I was petrified leaving him anywhere. The staff was amazing and although its not the cheapest, it was the best deal we found for all that is included. That and the webcam totally sold me!
Have an awesome time on your cruise!!!

30 Rachel October 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I don’t mean to be rude or harsh, but it’s absolutely *not* okay to bring your own food to a place that serves food (and then use that place’s plasticware and containers)! I personally consider Whole Foods a rip-off (I’m a Central Market girl–gotta love Texas), but I still wouldn’t bring outside food and eat it there so I could take advantage of their wifi. I understand that you purchased a drink, but that’s the equivalent of bringing your own cheesecake to Cheesecake Factory and getting an iced tea. Being outside the actual building doesn’t make it any more acceptable, and if someone did that outside my dining establishment, I’d let them know.

31 Sophie October 9, 2011 at 11:43 am

That dog interview is so cute!
Sophie recently posted..To Do It Or Not To Do It?!