My Running Therapist

by Meghann on October 5, 2011

Nothing like a great 6 miler with a good friend to start the morning off right. πŸ™‚

I missed Courtney!

Between her going off to China for two weeks and me traveling and recovering from Augusta, we haven’t had a chance to run together in over a month. Much too long in my opinion.

Courtney is one of my favorite running partners because A) she pushes my pace to what I should be running and not what the lazy side of my brain tells me to and B) she’s a great friend to talk things through with – I should refer to her as Dr. Courtney, my running therapist.

We had a great chat and the miles flew by. I was a little afraid at first when we started at an 8:30 min/mile pace (I’m severely out of running shape), but surprised myself when I was able to steadily hold the pace and hold my own in the conversation through the 6 miles. I’ve been taking it really easy on my runs and just needed a little reminder to push it. πŸ™‚

We wrapped up our run and I headed home for cereal.

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Cheerios
  • 1/4 cup Uncle Sam’s Honey Almond
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Apple
  • Cinnamon

One of the things Courtney and I discussed this morning was the fear of trying and the knee jerk reaction of taking the easy way out. Whether it be race training, blogging, or eating, taking the easy way out – in relation fear or laziness – is never a good thing. My goal is to change that. No more fear and no more going the easy route.

Being quasi-satisfied is fine, but being proud and knowing you gave it your all is even better. πŸ™‚

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

Fear of trying is basically fear of failure – if you don’t try, you don’t risk being confronted with your own limitations. This is really, really common, and sad, because you also have no chance of finding out just how much you can achieve.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Vosges: Dominican Milk Bar

2 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 10:24 am

Exactly. πŸ™‚

3 Michelle October 5, 2011 at 9:56 am

I’ve been doing a lot of easier paced runs lately. ThIs post makes me want to push it a little more tomorrow morning
Michelle recently posted..Running in Germany

4 christine @ BookishlyB October 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’m pretty driven in a lot of things, but lately my workouts and eating have been 1/2 a**ed (I’m on my work computer…. at a high school- boo to the filters). I need to get it together and stop taking the easy way out (ie giving in to cravings, slower runs, etc…)
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Together We Can Make a Difference

5 Ali @ Ali Runs October 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

Running friends are the best! I loved training with my sister because we talked and talked about everything. Glad you had a great run!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..You Can Do Anything

6 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 5, 2011 at 10:20 am

LOVE that last line you said- totally agree. πŸ™‚ It’s a good thought to start the day with methinks.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Moves like Jagger

7 Mia October 5, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’m so happy to see this attitude change…I’ve made this comment on your posts before, but I strongly believe that ANY runner is capable getting faster – it’s just about training right and pushing yourself, and of course, believing in yourself.

8 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 10:53 am

I’ve never said that I didn’t believe in the capability of pushing myself to go faster – I know I can, it’s just about putting in the effort. Don’t think I’m not backing out of my goal of doing the full IM in a couple of years. πŸ˜‰

9 Hillary October 5, 2011 at 10:21 am

This is something I’ve struggled with a lot since I graduated college—-it is all too easy to just do what is, well, easy. I want to spend my 20s pushing myself and trying new things, not just settling for mediocrity!

10 wymberley October 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

Great topic. This is something I struggle with daily. Fear of failure does not stop me from trying, just following through. We just have to keep moving forward right?
wymberley recently posted..Nutrition During Marathon Week: A Guide In 7 Days: Day 3

11 Cait's Plate October 5, 2011 at 10:32 am

I totally agree. My tendency is often to shy away from things I feel like might be too hard because I don’t want to fail. It’s so bad and I’m definitely trying to change that!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Life Inside the Postcard

12 Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) October 5, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’m glad you expanded the last paragraph that ‘trying’ is for anything — not just running — but any life experience. How can you succeed at something if you never even try?
Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) recently posted..Great Coffee Shop Hunt: Chloe’s Coffee

13 Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 5, 2011 at 10:38 am

It’s so great to have a running buddy who both pushes you and makes running more enjoyable πŸ™‚
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #8

14 Courtney October 5, 2011 at 10:57 am

This post came at such an opportune time! Thank you for posting it. πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Worst Blogger Ever Award (Plus Some Wrap-ups)

15 Tracey Leffler October 5, 2011 at 11:13 am

Having running partners who challenge you are the best! I often don’t push myself as hard as I can because I am running only against myself.

great job!

16 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 5, 2011 at 11:39 am

i always joke that a 60 minute run with my sister gets in a great workout and saves me $175 i would pay to a therapist for the same advice!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..from the pups.

17 Heather October 5, 2011 at 11:49 am

way to go! I do the same thing when running with friends. I guess I just need more discipline when running alone!
Heather recently posted..Disney Halloween 5k Fun Run

18 Deva @ Deva by Definition October 5, 2011 at 11:51 am

I JUST found a running buddy and am so excited to start running with her! We want to run a half mary next year – by far the longest I’ve ever run. I’m scared, but I am excited, too.
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Socially Awkward

19 Raya October 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

I’m a huge quote person and this reminded me of one of my current favorites so I thought I’d share!

β€œAll good is hard. All evil is easy. Dying, losing, cheating, and mediocrity is easy. Stay away from easy.” -Scott Alexander

Raya recently posted..Mountains & Metaphors

20 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I’m actually struggling with how much is too much, versus how much is not enough when it comes to training! My knees and IT band are bothering me, so I never know when to rest and when to go for it!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..African Crepes. Say What?!

21 Casey @ This Girl Can Run October 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Taking the easy way out happens to me when I am thinking about everything except what I should be doing, and the joys and benefits of that activity.

Being able to talk to someone without the distraction of anything else around you is super satisfying! I think running with a friend and talking is excellent – half the time when I’m with someone they are focused on 10 things at once, and it’s hard to really get in a deep conversation.
Casey @ This Girl Can Run recently posted..The unexpected run

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 5, 2011 at 12:22 pm

If you don’t try, you can’t succeed. Ya know πŸ™‚

Sounds like a great morning for you so far!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..How To Boost Confidence

23 Amanda @Hold me closer tiny runner October 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Thank you for the reminder Meghann! I often find myself regretting runs because I took it too easy or regretting running only x amount of miles in a week when I had time and energy to do more. I never regret when I feel like I gave it my all in a workout!

Your HIM posts were so inspiring! I actually became a runner because I started training for a tri and fell in love with running. I never did the tri and have been running for 3 years. It is time to push myself outside of my comfort zone and stop running the familiar routes, races and paces! Next year is my year to tri! Now all I need to do is decide which distance I will dominate (sprint, olympic.. mayeb even a HIM if I pre-train through the winter?!) Thanks for doing what you do!

24 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Woo hoo! Good luck girl!

25 Lauren @ Running Examiner October 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Great run! And a great conversation, too. Fear of failure is so common – and it can be so crippling. It’s wonderful to be proactive and confront your fears head-on, because *not* trying – and never knowing what you might have been able to achieve – leaves so many unanswered, plaguing questions.

I too have been taking “easier” runs lately – and, ironically, I feel like this is a very important milestone for me. In the past six months, I’ve gotten very burnt out on running – mainly because I suffer from the mindset that I have to make every run “count,” regardless of whether or not I’m in training. So, over the last month, I’ve made a concerted effort to run Garmin-less, at an easier pace, and just for pleasure. While initially a little disorienting, I’ve come to really enjoy these toned-down runs – I think they’re exactly what I need right now. (I’ve even rediscovered my love of long, brisk walks!)

26 Sarah October 5, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Love the post! Definitely needed this today. Awesome job on your run!
Sarah recently posted..5 Days

27 Joey October 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm

You are so right. I have been thinking about that a ton lately – can’t be scared to push ourselves or we’ll never know what we’re capable of!
Joey recently posted..A Weekend at Home

28 Ari @ Ari's Menu October 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I loved this post! I’ve been struggling a lot with finding the balance of giving my all, and being okay with when my all isn’t necessarily as fantastic as it was yesterday or last week, but at the same time not letting myself off the hook if that makes sense? I love the inspiration to keep pushing and not get complacent!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Motivation

29 lauren October 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Great topic! I can totally relate to how you feel. Failure is always possible, but it you don’t try, you’ll never know what you are capable of. What’s that saying, the bigger the struggle, the greater the reward? I’m paraphrasing here, but that’s the gist of it.
lauren recently posted..Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Pumpkin Bread

30 Christie October 6, 2011 at 10:17 am

It does feel so much better when you push yourself to do your best.
Christie recently posted..Last chance to enter giveaway, and a gym story