Running to the beat

by Meghann on October 4, 2011

We had company at track practice tonight.

The high school band heard we were in need of some motivation, so they came out to cheer us on during our speed sets. Who needs headphones when you’ve got a 100 person marching band to pump you up?! πŸ˜‰

Or….. they just happened to still be practicing when we started. Eh. Who’s to judge?

Besides the constant ‘beep, beep, beep, beep’ playing in the background, it was fun to have the band out there tonight. I was never in the marching band in high school, but – once upon a time – I played the trumpet in middle school. I was awful – really, really awful. We had to test for our seats and I was 10th out of 10 every time. It wasn’t pretty. Trust me.

Playing an instrument is tough. Learning to walk and play memorized songs is even tougher. Kudos to all those kids out there tonight who did an awesome job. They rock.

My fellow T3 teammates rock too.

It was my first session back since Augusta and it was fun to catch up and hear everyone’s stories of how their own races went. Luis (one of my favorite coaches who always pushes my pace to wear it should be) told me he had started a wave ahead of his son, but found him during the first transition. They ended up racing and finishing their first 70.3 side-by-side. That story made me smile. πŸ™‚

The workouts tonight weren’t terribly tough.

• 1200 warm up
  • 2 x 800 @ medium
  • 2 x 800 @ fast
  • 2 x 800 @ medium
  • 400 cool down

I ended up taking the sets a tad easier than normal and kept the medium laps at a conversation pace, so I could play catch up. It was a nice re-introduction back into speed work after a 2 week hiatus.

Before the track I had a Kashi Bar as pre-run fuel.

IMG_4069.jpg

I started on dinner almost as soon I walked in the door.

• Broiler on
  • Meat seasoned
  • Rutabaga peeled
  • Rutabaga chopped
  • Pot of water boiling
  • Meat under broiler
  • Timer set
  • Broccoli microwaved
  • Meat turned
  • Rutabaga mashed
  • Done!

I wasn’t a fan of the broccoli steam-in-a-bag. It smelled and tasted off. Blah.

Derek asked me what was wrong with the potatoes. I told him it was rutabaga. He wasn’t a fan.

Oh, well. More for me next time. πŸ™‚

The sirloins came out better than expected.

A little chewy, but not overdone (I’m always scared of overdoing the meat).

Pumpkin bread made a delicious dessert.

Thanks to the band, I’m going to have ‘Firework’ stuck in my head all evening.

‘Cause baby you’re a firework / Come on, show ’em what you’re worth / Make ’em go “Oh, oh, oh” / As you shoot across the sky-y-y /

Awesome song for a halftime show by the way. πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Deva @ Deva by Definition October 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Now I am going to have that song stuck in my head all night…
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Socially Awkward

2 Ali @ Ali Runs October 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

It’s so nice you have found such a supportive group of athletes to work out with in Tampa! πŸ™‚ I could never imagine being in the marching band– it requires too much coordination!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Fall?!

3 Sara @ RunnerWife October 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Every time you are on a track I think it is tough. I do speed work on a track sometimes and it is ROUGH, but always leaves me feeling great!
Sara @ RunnerWife recently posted..Dress Rehearsal

4 wymberley October 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I was a band nerd. LOVE that they were doing Firework!
There is a standing joke in my family about rutabagas. Mostly because it’s fun to say. My Dad really hates them.
I made grilled eggplant and pasta under a spicy red sauce. Holy salt Batman. I’m downing the water by the gallon.
wymberley recently posted..Can I Get Some Hand Praise?

5 Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese October 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I need to find a track near me. Track workouts (especially with marching bands) seem like such a good idea!
Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese recently posted..Crockpot Productivity.

6 Cait's Plate October 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Haha – now that song is going to be stuck in my head all night!! Congrats on an awesome workout πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Fruits, Veggies & Pizza

7 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm

i can’t get on board with the veggies in a bag. they all seem to taste off to me :/ the meat looks delicious though!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..roasted tomato + mozzarella spaghetti squash

8 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

I like the brusel sprouts steam in a bag and I’m generally a fan because they’re so easy, but something was off with the broccoli

9 Lacey @ Lake Life October 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I buy Glade steamer bags and steam any frozen vegetable. They never taste or smell “off” and it’s cheaper!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Caprese Bruschetta

10 Stefanie October 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm

There is a runners group track meet nearby my house every Wednesday. I think I need to check that out sometime. I need some real life running friends. πŸ™‚
Stefanie recently posted..Birthday festivities.

11 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen October 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm

The band thing is awesome! I steam corn in a bag and it’s good and easy and there’s no clean-up…haven’t tried broccoli. Your dinner looks good!

12 Sana October 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I loveee Katy Perry!
Sana recently posted..Day 4: Something Green

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm

over cooked meat is like a sin. My husband’s family likes it so well done it’s literally gray. D-i-s-g-u-s-t-i-n-g!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..End of summer barley salad

14 Nicole October 4, 2011 at 11:38 pm

“Honey, what’s wrong with the potatoes?”
That cracked me up!
Nicole recently posted..Goal focused Monday

15 Michelle October 5, 2011 at 12:11 am

I was one of the “band nerds” in high school and we had frequent visitors on the track during our rehearsals. I once had a guy tell us that he would run to the tempo that the metronome was set at (the awfully annoying “beep, beep, beep”) until we put it on “something weird”. Hahah

16 Jackie @ That Deep Breath October 5, 2011 at 12:41 am

Funny, I’m always scared of undercooking the meat…and then I end up overcooking it! That’s why I usually stick with cooking seafood and veggies πŸ™‚

17 Liz October 5, 2011 at 1:11 am

I was a band nerd all through school – flute & oboe πŸ™‚ I loved it when we played pop songs, too – now I’m gonna have Firework in my head all night!

Derek’s missing out on the rutabaga! My favorite way to make them is as oven ‘french fries’ πŸ˜€

18 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 10:20 am

I pre-sliced the other half to make fries for lunch. He really doesn’t know what he’s missing out on!

19 Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance October 5, 2011 at 1:12 am

Oh, that is so cool! I wished my old school had a marching band, we were too small so just cheerleaders and dance team for halftime.

I gave eating beef a while ago, I was never really into it, but I cook steak sometimes for the fiance. It’s really nerve racking making sure it’s not overdone! Never had a rutabaga, what does it taste like?
Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance recently posted..Okey dokey artichokey

20 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 10:20 am

I think it’s just a more flavorful potato. πŸ™‚

21 amanda October 5, 2011 at 1:37 am

I was on flag team that does the half time with the marching band shows also and it IS super hard work! Those outfits are sweaty and memorizing and staying in step takes a lot of practice! At least on the flag team we got to dance around them and wear spandex haha

22 Sophie October 5, 2011 at 2:40 am

I’ve always admired marching bands! We don’t get them at school in the UK, but it looks intense!
Sophie recently posted..Two For Tuesday.

23 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday October 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

Marching bands aren’t a thing here in Canada either.
Neither are cheerleaders.

…no wonder no one went to our high school sporting events!

24 Shauna October 5, 2011 at 5:03 am

Yay, a fellow ex-middle school trumpeter! I quite liked it, though that doesn’t mean I was great at it. I was second trumpet. Of two. πŸ˜‰

25 Hillary October 5, 2011 at 7:18 am

Once upon a time, I played the violin and clarinet. I use the term “played” VERY loosely.
Hillary recently posted..Maid of Honor Lessons

26 mel October 5, 2011 at 7:30 am

frozen broc is so gross!! Fresh is better and super cheap!

27 Britt @ Run with Britt October 5, 2011 at 7:31 am

That is quite the entertainment during a speed workout. πŸ™‚ It’s cool that you found a group of like minded people to train with. That’s hard to find!
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Keep Ya Head Up

28 Meghan October 5, 2011 at 8:33 am

haha I played the flute in our band in middle school. When it came to recitals I would get so nervous that I would just move my fingers and pretend to play πŸ˜‰
CANT WAIT to try out some of your speed workouts! I lost a lot of speed marathon training and I am going to be incorporating some more speed workouts into my training now..
Meghan recently posted..My First Marathon

29 Alaina October 5, 2011 at 8:36 am

I used to play trumpet in school too! I wasn’t too bad; 3rd chair and I was in the marching band. Fun times. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..RunHundred – The Top Running Songs of October

30 Hope October 5, 2011 at 8:49 am

Mashed rutabegas sound interesting! I’d be willing to try it. I really like mashed cauliflower. I had it at Ruby Tuesday a few weeks ago and I keep meaning to try making it at home. It seems pretty easy!

Now I’m going to have that song stuck in my head! πŸ˜‰
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Men’s Wedding Fashion…

31 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

that song is always stuck in my head because I teach BodyPUMP and it is the lunge track song for the last release. But at least it is a fun one!

Nice work on the splits!

32 Emily October 5, 2011 at 9:10 am

Gosh, that takes me back! I was in marching band all through high school and 2 years of college (at Nebraska). Fun times. Glad you enjoyed it πŸ™‚

I haven’t had rutabega in sooo long … might be the thing for dinner tonight!

33 Carrie@shrinkingcarrie October 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Ever since I discovered roasted broccoli, i won’t eat it any other way! And yes, broccoli in a bag tastes a little off.
Carrie@shrinkingcarrie recently posted..Kicking & Screaming

34 Emily October 5, 2011 at 9:24 am

I am possibly one of the least coordinated people ever, and I was in marching band in high school and LOVED it. It takes lots of concentration, but even uncoordinated me could handle the routines with practice.
Emily recently posted..What I learned on my summer vacation

35 Corey @ Learning Patience October 5, 2011 at 9:31 am

I love rutabaga – my grandma always used to make me that! Oh great memories! Thanks for that…big smile on my face now!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..WIAW – Time To Study!

36 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday October 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

I like to puree rutabagas so they are silky smooth. I add a little dijon mustard, some butter, and a spinkle of fresh thyme. It’s really good. Especially when you top it with cramelized onions.

37 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 5, 2011 at 11:32 am

Haha I love that they were playing firework!!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..African Crepes. Say What?!

38 Meghan October 5, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I had the Little Mermaid stuck in my head thanks to my hubby suggesting the name Sebastian for our little boy. I’d rather have Katy Perry!!
Meghan recently posted..Hello world!

39 VanessaG October 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I was in the band all through middle school, high school, and one yr of college. I played the trumpet!! πŸ™‚ I don’t want to sound braggish, but I was 1st chair. I quit after one yr of college due to not enjoying it anymore. I mean, I loved to play, but the “band dynmanics” were diff. I ran xc in hs and got recruited that same yr when I beat some of the xc girls in a race the college had on campus. I ended up getting a scholarship later. πŸ™‚ Good job on the workout! I always dread speed workouts, especially if they are on a track, but don’t you feel awesome and strong when you get done?! Run to the beat of your feet!!