Reuniting with the bike trainer

by Meghann on October 4, 2011

Good morning trainer, nice to see you again. πŸ™‚

My bike trainer has been in hibernation all summer. Probably from a mix of my paranoia to get as many miles on the road as possible for HIM training and my lack of fondness of riding a bike that goes nowhere for any length of time. Think treadmill, only noisier.

However, I pulled the trainer out over the weekend and brought it on the porch to enjoy the nice fall weather. I only had enough time for a quick 30 minute session of anything and hopping on the bike reminded me why I have the trainer in the first place:

• No need to drive the bike to the other side of town to get a ride in (the neighborhood around my house isn’t exactly cyclist friendly and I’m a big wimp around cars)
  • So. Easy. Just hop on, ride, and done.
  • I can easily adjust the stopper to make it harder or easier or add books to the front wheel for hills.
  • TV. Enough said.

TV junkie. Right here. πŸ˜‰

I hopped back on this morning with a little ‘Felicity’ to keep me entertained (I’m addicted). I rode for a 45 minute episode and let Maddie toggle between the backyard and porch for her own playtime of day. The quick ride still didn’t compare to a nice long one outside, but any exercise that allows me to feed my ‘Felicity’ addiction is always fine by me.

Side note: My gym has free wifi, so yesterday I brought my ipad to the gym hoping I could stream Felicity while I did my morning walk. It didn’t work. πŸ™

My last piece of left over french toast from Saturday’s breakfast party was the star of this morning’s breakfast.

I reheated the french toast via the broiler and topped it with vanilla yogurt, a pear, good run granola, and extra cinnamon.

I love how the broiler gives the french toast a nice crisp crust. Just as good as the day I made it. πŸ™‚

What’s your latest addiction? A new drink? snack? TV show? Share!

1 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 4, 2011 at 9:43 am

The wi-fi at my gym is pretty spotty too so it makes it hard to bring the iPad. I usually only bring it if I want to read while doing cardio.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Brian’s Restaurant

2 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

This pumpkin/caramel candle that my mama got me.. my room smells incredible now!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Monday things

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 4, 2011 at 10:00 am

LOL, by Felicity, do you mean the show with Keri Russell? I remember that from aaages ago but didn’t really get hooked on it. Pumpkin is my most recent obsession (no surprise there!)
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..I Don’t Bake

4 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 10:49 am

Yes, that’s the show! I remember watching a long time ago too, but I fell off the bandwagon when she cut off her hair. It’s fun to catch back in and fill in the missing pieces

5 michelle October 4, 2011 at 10:07 am

I loved Felicity! I don’t think I ever saw the last season so I’m not sure who she ends up with…
michelle recently posted..Running in Germany

6 mary October 4, 2011 at 10:09 am

Bringing back the old TV shows! I love it!
mary recently posted..Fun Run

7 Lizx October 4, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’m addicted to a new season of TV period – all my old favs are back (The Mentalist, Parenthood, Hawaii Five-O) and some good new ones started. It’s good to have new shows again! πŸ™‚

8 Christie October 4, 2011 at 10:18 am

looks delicous! I agree, easy way to get a ride in without that travel time. I’m the same when I do my runs, it’s easier to leave the house and do the short runs but for the long ones I have to drive to town πŸ™
Christie recently posted..Motivational Monday

9 Courtney October 4, 2011 at 10:22 am

I want to get a trainer so badly! What kind do you have?
Courtney recently posted..Worst Blogger Ever Award (Plus Some Wrap-ups)

10 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 10:52 am

I have the Bell Motivator http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AAYBWS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=meaandmil-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B000AAYBWS it’s decently priced, fold ups nicely, and fairly easy to set up. πŸ™‚

11 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 4, 2011 at 10:23 am

i just started felicity season 1 on netflix and i am hooked! it is waaaay to easy to watch episode after episode on netflix… i watched 5 seasons of dexter in one month!!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..spinach, artichoke + goat cheese strata

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 4, 2011 at 10:28 am

Oh I want French toast now!!! Thanks a lot πŸ˜‰

I am loving the cool, crisp mornings, almond milk, and good movies lately! Life is SO wonderful!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Waffle Recipe – Pumpkin Edition

13 Shanna, Like Banana October 4, 2011 at 10:28 am

Well my Fall addiction is always candy corn πŸ˜‰

But I’m on a huge ice cream kick — Dreyer’s (same as Edy’s) slow-churned is sooooo good. I recommend the smores flavor!
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Shoes-Day! New black boots and wineries

14 Athena @ fitnessandfeta October 4, 2011 at 10:35 am

Latest addiction = new favorite exercise move! Side Lunge / Single Bicep Curl Combo.
Athena @ fitnessandfeta recently posted..The Awk Spot: Always Bring Your Towel

15 Lindsey October 4, 2011 at 10:53 am

This should come as no surprise, but mine is pumpkin. Every fall I become addicted, eat it non stop for 2 months and then say good bye for 10 months!
Lindsey recently posted..Winners & Donuts!

16 Lauren October 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

So Brussels sprouts are my current favorite. I’ve been adding them into every meal, from pasta, to salads and mixed with a coconut milk sauce as a topping for sweet potatoes. YUM. Also a TV junkie, so excited for The Walking Dead!

17 Cait's Plate October 4, 2011 at 11:08 am

You’ve got me craving french toast like CRAZY lately! I’ll be so happy when we’re all moved and unpacked and I can make some!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Relieve the Stress

18 Hope October 4, 2011 at 11:37 am

I used to love Felicity! Right now I am crazy over Thomas’ Pumpkin Spice Bagels with pumpkin cream cheese! It’s amazing. I seriously can’t wait to buy more of those bagels. πŸ™‚ So good.
Hope recently posted..A Season To Look Forward To…

19 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 11:46 am

I keep looking for those bagels, but haven’t seen that at my Publix yet! Good to hear they’re good πŸ™‚

20 Laura October 4, 2011 at 11:48 am

Tv – BIGGEST LOSER
Internets – Pinterest
Food – Trader Joes Breakfast Burritos and Orange chicken

I can’t wait to get a bike, and then get a bike trainer, and then park myself in front of the tv. It will annoy my husband to death… bwhahahaha
Laura recently posted..Race the Reaper Race Recap

21 Hillary October 4, 2011 at 11:49 am

I’m obsessed with Biscoff spread and Mad Men. Stick a jar in my hand, and an episode in front of my face, and I’m a goner.
Hillary recently posted..Maid of Honor Lessons

22 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 4, 2011 at 11:56 am

my current addictions are squash and Ruby on Netflix! Haha, LOVE TV! which is why I don’t own one!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..How I Knew We’d Be Friends…

23 Christine October 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm

that breakfast looks delicious!
Christine recently posted..It’s Race Week!

24 Deva @ Deva by Definition October 4, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Chia seeds are my latest addiction, haha. Love how creamy they make my oatmeal.
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..90 Minute

25 Sarah October 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I love the show Up All Night. Christina Applegate is hilarious! Another addiction? Blueberry Z Bars πŸ™‚

26 Krissy October 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Do you have any tips for a cycling newbie??? I have a hybrid that got me through my first two sprint tris….but after getting my butt handed to me on the bike this past weekend, I am hoping to get a road bike before next spring. I don’t even know where to start! Also, did you have any help learning how to ride. I know you said you don’t have many hills down there in FL, but here in GA we have plenty! How do you learn?
Krissy recently posted..My Second Triathlon~ Lake Lanier Triathlon

27 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Hi Krissy! Check this post out http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/05/05/what-i-learned-on-the-bike/ My friend Courtney took me out when I first started training and gave me a lot of pointers. πŸ™‚

28 Krissy October 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Thank you Meghann! Simple is what I need πŸ™‚ Sounds like I need to find myself a Courtney!!
Krissy recently posted..My Second Triathlon~ Lake Lanier Triathlon

29 Mahealani @ Pu`uhonua October 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Oh Felicity, I used to be obsessed with that show. I am happy to see that Netflix finally put it up on instant watch!

My latest obsession is “The Office”, US version. I was never into that show, especially when it was popular, but I watched an episode a few months ago on a whim and now I can’t stop! As someone who still works in an office M-F 9-5, it really hits the spot.
Mahealani @ Pu`uhonua recently posted..Okey dokey artichokey

30 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm

When my brother and sister came to visit me in my cubicle for the first time, the first words out of their mouths were ‘You work at The Office!” πŸ™‚

31 Mahealani @ Pu`uhonua October 4, 2011 at 9:24 pm

It’s downright scary how spot on that show is sometimes!
Mahealani @ Pu`uhonua recently posted..Okey dokey artichokey

32 Alaina October 4, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I am definitely addicted to caffe misto’s with pumpkin at Starbucks. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..RunHundred – The Top Running Songs of October

33 Lisa October 4, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I am not a fan of my bike trainer. Don’t get me wrong–it’s great to have living in Oregon where starting NOW it will rain for the next 6 months. And I like watching tv while I work out. But it’s also kind of uncomfortable –more so than any bike ride.

34 Sophie October 5, 2011 at 2:42 am

I a hopelessly addicted to those chocolates Caramel Nibbles – seriously, I could eat them all day everyday. Such a bad habit to be getting in to!
Sophie recently posted..Two For Tuesday.

35 Ali @ Ali Runs October 5, 2011 at 8:22 am

I always download old episodes of Friends on my iPhone and take it with me to the gym. It makes treadmill miles fly by!!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..You Can Do Anything