Potty Like a Rock Star

by Meghann on October 4, 2011

You know you’re a runner when…

You receive an e-mail for VIP porta potties at race start.

Screen shot 2011-10-04 at 1.37.47 PM.png

You’re know you’re not a runner when…

You actually pay for it.

Screen shot 2011-10-04 at 1.40.38 PM.png

hmmm…. No Thanks!

Real runners wait in line! Or do it in the woods. πŸ˜‰

It’s not a race until you’ve seen a man or women pull over for a mid-race pit stop. That’s actually the part of the race I where ‘m jealous of all the guys. The whole standing while peeing thing is very convenient when you’re being put against the clock. I’ve never popped a squat on a race day, but – if the line was too long at the start – don’t think that I wouldn’t!

The last of Sunday’s fish fry made an appearance for lunch.

What was that? Four meals out of it? Not bad for a $20 Living Social Deal!

With some carrot sticks

and pickles

One of Val’s pumpkin cupcakes made an excellent dessert.

Help!

I’ll be off the grid when I’m on my cruise next week, so I’m trying to come up with some filler posts while I’m out. Anything interesting you guys want to read about? Questions? Comments?

Let me know!

1 Sweet and Savvy October 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm

That email is too funny!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Homecoming

2 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine October 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I would love to read about how you built up your blog readership! I know it takes time and quality posts. But I’m sure there is more to it than that!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Santa Monica and Temecula

3 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I wrote a Blogging 101 series a while back that is probably a bit dated now. http://mealsandmiles.com/2009/01/07/blogging-101-marketing/ Maybe I’ll do a part two section πŸ™‚

4 Sophie October 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I agree – that would be great!
Sophie recently posted..Content.

5 Hillary October 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I saw a bunch of guys pee in the woods during my first half marathon—consider me jealous.
Hillary recently posted..Maid of Honor Lessons

6 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I’m always jealous when guys can just pee in the woods! Especially if there aren’t any big bushes around!

7 Krista October 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I would love to hear how your transition from a typical 9-5 work week to professional blogger is going. What are the ups & downs to this kind of lifestyle?

8 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:09 pm

LOTS of ups and downs on this one. πŸ™‚

9 alison October 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I saw a girl run off in to the bushes on Sunday at the half marathon I was running. She was in plain sight, but obviously didn’t care. I’m not sure I’d be so brave, but to each her own.
alison recently posted..Extended Rest

10 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I’ve seen PLENTY of girls do that during races, especially while walking to the start of the Disney marathon

11 Liz @ Southern Charm October 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Haha. That email is hilarious!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Gluten-Free and Vegan Mac and Cheese

12 Stephanie October 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm

more move and mix updates!

13 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm

We’re getting the apartment deep cleaned on Friday (Yay Groupon!) I’ll take some photos of where we’re at with decorations, but I have to warn you that it isn’t pretty. πŸ˜‰

14 Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm

That idea is too funny! I thought it was a joke at first haha
I would definitely pop a squat at the start if absolutely necessary πŸ™‚
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Reluctantly Resting on a Plateau

15 Aly October 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm

To piggyback on Krista’s question: How do you financially ‘survive’ on a blogger’s salary?

16 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Freelance. Freelance. Freelance. πŸ™‚

17 Jen @ Jen is Green October 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm

that is hilarious. but pretty ridic if you ask me! they should have flushable porta johns for everyone! the Pittsburgh marathon had them and they were pretty awesome if i do say so myself!
Jen @ Jen is Green recently posted..Sporty Pal Fitness Pack Giveaway Winner

18 Cait's Plate October 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Hahahah that is awesome.

And holy cow – that fish still looks completely delicious! Though I probably would’ve just dove head first into that pumpkin cupcake πŸ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Relieve the Stress

19 theswanin.me October 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Oh wow that email is messed up! LOL Hmmmm hubby is a Brooks ID member and running that one for free through them if it is the one I am thinking of (first Sat in Nov?) I wonder if he can get in there and snap some pictures. LOL
theswanin.me recently posted..One thing down

20 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Yes! I’m dying to know just how special these potties are! πŸ™‚

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love pickles too!

I’d love to see some move & mix stuff, also how working at home is going for you. I’d be happy to do a guest post as a filler, if you want me to, as well πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Waffle Recipe – Pumpkin Edition

22 Samantha October 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Such a funny email πŸ™‚

I would love to hear more about what it’s like living with Derek! I just moved in with my boyfriend in the beginning of September, so I’m ready for all the advice I can get!
Samantha recently posted..Workout Windup: Half-Marathon Training Week 4

23 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I’m working on a post about how my cooking and eating habits have unexpectedly changed since moving in. My advice? Don’t cook to please him – keep cooking to please yourself. I think that’s where the move-in weight gain came from for me. Well, that and the constant dessert lying around that he doesn’t eat, but constantly calls me name! πŸ™‚

24 Samantha October 4, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I can’t wait to read it! That’s the hardest part for me so far — I eat very healthy, and he, well, doesn’t. He’s one of those types that can eat anything and everything and not gain weight, so it doesn’t always click with him that that doesn’t equate to healthy. He’s getting better, but I definitely have to keep myself in check — he always has the sugary cereals and crap that I used keep out of the house because it calls to me!
Samantha recently posted..Workout Windup: Half-Marathon Training Week 4

25 kim October 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I was going to ask as the race got closer but since you are soliciting topics πŸ™‚

I’m curious what your plan might be for fueling for the Las Vegas Rock n Roll half since it is a night race.

Thanks!

26 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Good Questions! I know when Derek ran the Wine and Dine Half last year it was tricky! He ate a large late lunch, napped, and then had a bagel and peanut butter for ‘dinner’ before the race. I guess this means I should do a couple of night training runs just so my body is used to running at that time. Thanks for giving me the idea to think about it!

27 Beth @ 990 Square October 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm

My SIL and I bought enough at the expo for RnR Philly that we got the VIP Potty sticker. Then left it at the hotel. But no worries, we went at a starbucks a few blocks from the start.
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

28 Katy (The Singing Runner) October 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Haha! I got that E-mail too! I actually read it during class and busted out laughing!

Could you maybe write a post about how to get freelance writing work? I know it’s a bit on the technical side of blogging, but I’ve been wondering how to find some. I would rather do a little freelance verses getting a super part time job in retail in the spring.
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: Sept 26-Oct 2, 2011

29 Meghann October 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Network, Network, Network! πŸ™‚ Also, do you have somewhere to stay for Savannah? Ben just told me we have an open spot in the hotel room if you’re interested!

30 Macrae October 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Hey! Sorry to jump in the conversation, but where did you book your hotel? I still haven’t gotten one yet and wanted to see how you found one. Thanks!!

31 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 10:09 am

My little brother booked it – that was all him. πŸ™‚

32 Katy (The Singing Runner) October 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

No I don’t have a place to stay yet! I am definitely interested in the open spot!

I’ll shoot you an E-mail tomorrow! (once I get past studying for this huge history exam that I have tomorrow)
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up: Sept 26-Oct 2, 2011

33 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday October 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I’d pay extra for VIP toilets. I don’t hink I’d pay that much extra, but maybe 5 or 10 bucks.

34 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

That email cracks me up!

Hmmm, how about some posts about getting into cycling, or some blog stuff like redesigning your blog or self-hosting?
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Moves like Jagger

35 Corey @ Learning Patience October 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Im going on a dream cruise this month soon, so if you want a guest post, I would be happy to help out girl! πŸ™‚
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Truthful Tuesday – Baby on the Way

36 mary October 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I want to know what your most embarrassing running moments are. Whether its in a race, out on a long run, while you were running with friends, whatever. I told you a while go I had to ahem… poo in the woods. What’s the most embarassing thing that’s happened to you? πŸ˜‰
mary recently posted..Three Truth Tuesday: Patience is a Virtue

37 Angela October 4, 2011 at 5:12 pm

If you are jealous of the guys at races look up the shewee!

38 Samantha @ Samantha in Training October 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Have tons of fun on your cruise! *I would love to hear about how you built up your blog readership as well!
Samantha @ Samantha in Training recently posted..Great news (and some epic fails)

39 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm

haha that fish and shrimp just keeps appearing! One thing I’d like to hear about is just training advice, especially for running and then getting into triathlons. I’d love to do tri’s but I’m in law school living of of student loans and just can’t afford the gear. Another thing that I’d like to hear about is any advice you have on injuries. I’m currently dealing with some IT band problems and the back of my heel keeps hurting near the end of runs. I’ve gotten different types of advice from various people but I’d love to hear your experiences!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..How I Knew We’d Be Friends…

40 Christina October 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’d be interested in hearing about the proper way to breathe during running – I think I remember you had mentioned how glad you were that you learned that before you started running and it made ME want to learn it! πŸ™‚ Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!

41 Army Amy* October 4, 2011 at 5:33 pm

VIP porta potties are tempting, but I’m way to cheap to pay for something that I can get for free!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Reunited…

42 Michelle October 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I would love to hear your ideas about post (big) event nutrition/rest/exercise! Had my first marathon on Sunday and am trying to decide what I should be and should not be doing in terms of said things….BTW great job on the HIM!

43 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 4, 2011 at 5:40 pm

oh gosh i hate to say this but i would TOTALLY pay for vip porta potty access!! pre race potty lines are just brutal.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..puffed!

44 Mary October 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Please – pay to potty? NO WAY! I would like to hear some details about how you chose your half ironman, decided on the training plan to follow, and any advice. I plan to do one next summer. Hope you have a great vacation!

45 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

Hi Mary, Here’s a post I wrote about why I chose Augusta http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/05/04/half-ironman-mental-preparation/ and here’s how I picked my training plan http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/05/31/augusta-half-ironman-training-plan/ I hope that helps πŸ™‚

46 Katherine October 4, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I can see if I was already in need of some new Brooks and wanting to spend money on it, great deal, but otherwise NO THANK YOU! πŸ™‚

I’d love to hear a post on what you love about being self-employed!

47 Kathleen October 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

That is why I always bring my own TP to races. You never know and i hate the lines. But I may be inclined to buy some new stuff to have access to flushing toilets and running water. The smell of the chemicals in the port o potties make me sick just thinking about them.
Kathleen recently posted..Bearing / Baring it all in Baltimore- Part I

48 delia October 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I read your blog regularly, but I’m a little disappointed in your holier than thou attitude about runners v. non-runners. I’m sure it’s all in jest, but I’m sure there are some people that find fancy toilets at races appealing. Maybe they are new runners, but I like to think that running/walking should be a welcoming thing. It’s not anyone’s job to cast judgment on others. It’s no wonder obese people can be hesitant to change their habits and increase their physical activity.

Signed, a frequent but frugal runner of races

49 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

I was just joking – complete sarcasm. πŸ™‚ If it makes you feel better my Dad owns a porta-potty company so it just adds a twist of irony to the situation there. I just thought it was amusing they had the option to pay for regular toilets.

50 LEM October 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I would love to hear any ideas of how to workout when you are injured.

51 Krissy - Shiawase Life October 4, 2011 at 7:52 pm

LOL! That cracks me up!!
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Locked + Loaded

52 Ali @ Ali Runs October 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm

It might be pretty cool to have the Brooks VIP toilet access, but it’d be even cooler if it was free!! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Fall?!

53 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs October 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Ha – got the email too and thought, “Really?”

54 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen October 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I’m doing the Savannah half! Are you doing the full or half? I give you credit for opening that email – I just deleted it πŸ™‚
Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen recently posted..My favorite salad dressing

55 Meghann October 5, 2011 at 10:19 am

I’m doing the full!! Lots of people are doing Savannah – it’s going to be a fun race!

56 Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance October 4, 2011 at 11:41 pm

So glad you included pickles, gherkins are the best!
Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance recently posted..Okey dokey artichokey

57 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger October 5, 2011 at 7:49 am

I got the same email for Savannah, laughed and then started to sing hahah. One month left! The countdown begins :):)
Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger recently posted..Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda

58 Erica October 5, 2011 at 8:10 am

Haha, I got the same email for the St. Louis RNR Oct. 23. Cracked me up!
Erica recently posted..Last Long Run & Rams Go PINK!

59 Courtney October 5, 2011 at 9:31 am

There doing the same VIP thing for the Disney Princess Half! Crazy. While your gone maybe do a post on kitchen staples, if you posted something like that can you repost I feel like I have horrible base for my grocery list and is the cause of me overspending at the store!
Courtney recently posted..Amazeballs

60 Val October 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Sorry to get on this band wagon so late, but if your taking requests, I would like to hear how you started running and any advice for new runners. I just started and I can only make it around the track 2x (2/10 of a mile). How can I build up endurance when I constantly run out of breath? I have read your running story, but it doesn’t offer concrete advice.

61 Katie October 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm

My last race, I missed my corral because I was in line to pee! Oops! But I caught up a few miles in.