Intervals

by Meghann on September 30, 2011

Happy Friday! πŸ™‚

Friday mornings are the best run mornings. I think it’s the adrenaline rush of knowing that the weekend is almost here.

I set out for 6 miles this morning then decided a mile in to turn it in to an interval run. I had a mile warm up followed by half mile intervals at half marathon pace (or what used to be my half marathon pace) then a mile cool down.

My legs are still recovering, so trying to hold a 8:15ish pace wasn’t a pleasant experience, but it wasn’t impossible either. I just took it one half mile at a time. I’m hoping to return to the track on Tuesday with T3 and work out a plan on building my speed back up. I have a very vague goal of hitting a sub-1:50 half marathon time in the spring. It was just one of those random thoughts that came to me this morning, so we’ll see.

The run was hot and sweaty, but the cool shower afterwards had me craving a hot bowl of oats for breakfast.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup soy milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin
  • chopped dates
  • cinnamon
  • nutmeg
  • pinch of salt

On top:

• Good Run Granola
  • 1/2 pear
  • honey peanut butter
  • cinnamon

Not bad for a post-run treat. πŸ™‚

Augusta Race Recap Round-Up

I’ve been waiting for everyone to get these up all week!

This next one isn’t from Augusta, but my friend Bobbi ran her first 70.3 on Sunday as well and I wanted to share. πŸ™‚

Any other recaps to add? πŸ™‚

1 Ali @ Ali Runs September 30, 2011 at 9:54 am

I also want to break 1:50 this spring! The crazy speed work has started already! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..My name is Ali and I am a horrible decision maker.

2 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio September 30, 2011 at 9:59 am

WOW! Your breakfast looks fantastic.
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Panzanella, King of the Salads!

3 Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy September 30, 2011 at 10:05 am

When you say intervals, do you mean 1/2 mile at 8:15, then back to whatever pace you do (9 min mile, etc.) and then back up for another 1/2 mile, or something different like walking?
Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy recently posted..Runner’s withdrawal, concurrent strength & endurance training

4 Meghann September 30, 2011 at 10:27 am

1/2 miles at 8:15 then 1/2 mile at 9:30ish pace and repeat. πŸ™‚

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 30, 2011 at 10:09 am

My legs were feeling pretty rough this morning after some harder runs and challenging strength sessions this week, so it was the crosstrainer for me!! Great job on the run – that’s a fabulous way to start a Friday!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Fit Bit Friday 13

6 michelle September 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

A sub 1:50 half marathon is a goal I’d love to get as well. I was off by a minute in the spring πŸ™
michelle recently posted..Friday Five

7 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 30, 2011 at 10:52 am

Randomly started intervals are the best. Nice work pushing through it!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..top 10 favorite push ups

8 Cait's Plate September 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

I TOTALLY agree with you on Friday morning runs. There’s just something about knowing you have nothing but the weekend ahead of you that makes it so great!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Good, Not Great

9 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 30, 2011 at 11:14 am

NICE! I gotta go read those recaps.

For my first half marathon I broke 1:50, it is totally doable, promise! πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Health Heroes

10 Mia September 30, 2011 at 4:57 pm

me too! ran 1:48 for my first one and have never looked back. I think too many people believe they don’t have what it takes to break 1:50, but it’s not true!

11 Deva @ Deva by Definition September 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

I love Friday morning workouts. There’s just somethin’ about ’em.
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..An Early Start

12 Emily@SavoryandSavage September 30, 2011 at 11:36 am

I have yet to try tempo runs but I don’t think there is any hope of me ever getting faster than a 10 minute mile:-)
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Pizza take 2

13 Khushboo September 30, 2011 at 11:41 am

I love interval runs- they always fly by…maybe because I feel like I’m flying πŸ˜‰
Khushboo recently posted..Octoberfest indeed

14 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 30, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I am obsessed with crushing a graham cracker on top of my oats right now.

Intervals are the only damn thing that keep me going on the dreadmill.

15 Kathleen September 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm

As the saying goes- speed kills- It’s totally worth it in order to improve race times. I actually posted about my comeback to the track this week after my retirement from the track for several years. My legs felt the burning effects on Wednesday. Speed work truly is the necessary evil when it comes to PR’ing in races.
Kathleen recently posted..Better Safe than Sorry

16 Kelsey September 30, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hey! Give Kelly some credit, she did a half IRONMAN not just a half marathon! πŸ™‚

17 Meghann September 30, 2011 at 1:24 pm

GAH! Fixing it now! πŸ™‚

18 sarahsaysrun September 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I’m wondering if you have set-up a recovery plan for yourself the first few weeks after a half-ironman. It seems like you’ve been doing alot of phsycial activity immediately after your first half-ironman, especially with some interval work. Perhaps it is because you have some big running events coming up? I’m slightly jealous of your ability to bounce back so quickly πŸ™‚ I just hope you’re allowing yourself enough time to recover from such a big endurance event.

19 Meghann September 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I’ve sped up my recovery plan slightly because of my big events I have coming. I took two full days off (minus some yoga) following the event and have been taking my recovery runs really slowly (both of them were just under 10 minutes miles – roughly 45 seconds under my usual comfortable pace). I’m trying hard not to take on too much too soon, but it’s hard when my legs feel good. πŸ™‚ This is roughly the same approach I’ve taken in the past when I’ve had big races a month or so a part. This approach isn’t for everybody, but I know my body and I know what it can handle. πŸ™‚

20 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 30, 2011 at 1:17 pm

i’ve taken a few weeks off from running these past 2 months and powered through 3 miles this morning. oof was that hard! the only thing that kept me going was knowing the next one can only be easier…
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..double date night.

21 Meghann September 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I like that way of thinking!

22 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 30, 2011 at 1:24 pm

My Friday AM run was trumped by sleep – good for you getting up! πŸ™‚ I’m impressed that you are working out so much the week after your first 70.3, very dedicated!
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..They Can’t All Be Great…or Plan B Dinner!

23 Shaun @ snackasaurusrex September 30, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Great job on the intervals this morning. I usually do my running in the evening, so when I set out to do my intervals this morning…it didn’t go so well πŸ™ legs need coffee too!

BTW, I’m SO jealous of your awesome pace!!
Shaun @ snackasaurusrex recently posted..Weight loss before and after pics

24 Allyson September 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I don’t think going under 1.50 in the half is really all that hard, only a 8.23/mile. Especially if you have time to train. Doing speed work will def help. I went from 1.46 to 1.24 by doing speed workouts.

25 Meghann October 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’ve never speed trained for a half marathon before, so I’m curious to see what I could do if I put my mind to it. I was able to go from a 4:15 marathon to a 3:59 marathon in three months with intense speed training. I’m up for the challenge!

26 Logan @ Mountains and Miles December 13, 2012 at 11:10 am

The National Rock and Roll Marathon in DC!!

It’s the only marathon run ENTIRELY in DC (a lot cross over the bridges into VA for portions). You get to see all the awesome DC sites and when I did the half a few years ago, the crowds were FANTASTIC!

It’s going to be my first marathon!
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..R&R Training Week 4 Training Recap