A Soda Fountain for Adults

by Meghann on September 30, 2011

Tonight I fell in love with a bar.

It had me at ‘Pour Your Own Beer’

What can I say? I’m easy to please. πŸ˜‰

The setup was pretty nifty. Above each set of taps was an Ipad that marked the labeled beers.

You were handed a card (that was attached to your credit card) to scan via the screen of the beer you want.

The screen counts down thirty seconds to pour as much beer as you want. The trick is you pay by the ounce.

The second trick is not overflowing the cup. Fail. Pouring from a tap is a lot harder than it looks!

So, I only ended up with half a beer, but – darn it – I earned that half!

Of course, that’s when I saw the second sign.

IMG_3998.jpg

Doh!

Rob had better luck. I should have made him go first. Stupid sign.

I was at The Pub tonight for Happy Hour with Derek and his co-workers. We all had a good laugh over self poured beers and cheering the Rays onto another victory. A fun night out. πŸ™‚

I skipped food at The Pub in favor for a lighter meal at the smoothie stand next door.

I ordered the hummus and tuna salad platter which was served with veggies, fresh fruit, and pita wedges.

The tuna was… different. It was pretty dry and not very seasoned.

The tomato, cucumber, and pita wedges made excellent hummus dippers.

Earlier in the afternoon I had a piece of pumpkin bread.

And two pieces of dark chocolate for dessert.

I’m all tucked in tight and ready for bed.

Good Night!

1 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 30, 2011 at 10:50 pm

that beer bar is seriously a.mazing. i would have had the same problem as you, though. i get soooo much foam when i pour beers– my hubby gets terribly upset with me. whoops πŸ™‚
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..whole grain banana cake with peanut butter cream cheese frosting.

2 Deva @ Deva by Definition September 30, 2011 at 11:00 pm

That looks like an awesome idea for a bar/restaurant! I love pouring beer to get it juust right in my glass – it’s such a challenge,but once you master it, it’s awesome!
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..An Early Start

3 Army Amy* September 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I’m not a beer drinker, but that bar does look fun. I don’t know why self-serve is so appealing, but it is!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Pledge

4 Meghann October 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I’m self serve for everything too! Self serve wine? Yep! Self serve fro-yo? Yep! But ask me to pur a beer at home and I’ll say no. For some reason it’s a lot more fun when it’s not in your own kitchen.

5 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) September 30, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Oh, that looks like such a fun place! Pour your own beer?! Sign me up!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Thankful Friday surprises

6 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) September 30, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Oh, that looks like such a fun place! Pour your own beer?! Sign me up!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Thankful Friday surprises

7 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 1, 2011 at 12:10 am

I don’t drink, but I would’ve probably messed up those taps too! Haha.

Have a good night’s rest!

8 Christine @ BookishlyB October 1, 2011 at 1:03 am

Oooooh that is fun! I don’t even like beer and that looks intriguing.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Hate the Player, Not the Game

9 Sana October 1, 2011 at 1:38 am

hahah what a nifty bar, the tuna sounds gross!
Sana recently posted..My Alien Friend

10 Allie October 1, 2011 at 1:42 am

Love your outfit; very cute dress!

11 Khushboo October 1, 2011 at 1:52 am

Holy Hummus–> what a generous portion! Looks so creamy and delicious!
Khushboo recently posted..Octoberfest indeed

12 tiffany October 1, 2011 at 1:57 am

did you mix the tuna with the hummus?? that’s what i would do…looks like the tuna was in need of some creamy deliciousness.

13 Meghann October 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Yes, I did. πŸ™‚

14 Katie October 1, 2011 at 5:48 am

Just wanted to let you know your hair looks really pretty like that πŸ˜€
Katie recently posted..A serious question

15 Meghann October 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm

16 Meghan October 1, 2011 at 6:30 am

That looks like so much fun, I’ve only been to wine bars like that and man they are $$!
Meghan recently posted..Hello world!

17 Meghann October 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm

The our your own beer was cheap! Rob (the guy in the photo) bought my drink, but he got two big beers and two mini beers for $5!

18 mary October 1, 2011 at 6:45 am

That’s awesome a pour your own beer bar! I’ve never been to a place like that, Although Brian talks about a wine bar like that in Orlando where his fam is from.
mary recently posted..September Goals in Review

19 Meghann October 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Yes! THE wine bar on Park Ave is a favorite of mine and Derek’s.

20 Corey @ Learning Patience October 1, 2011 at 7:39 am

That is a super cool idea! How fun…

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Happy World Vegetarian Day!

21 Courtney October 1, 2011 at 7:52 am

I used to work as a bartender and there is definitely an art to a good pour!! πŸ™‚

22 Kristen (inspiredbydooce) October 1, 2011 at 8:02 am

That’s an interesting concept for a pub! I wonder if people drink more or less- no waiting for the server, but you have to get up from the table to get it. It would be interesting to do some sort of study…(can you tell I’m a researcher? Wow, geek moment)
Kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..paula radcliffe- still a legend

23 Britt @ Run with Britt October 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

That’s a nifty bar. πŸ™‚ I have a huge phobia of tuna, the smell freaks me out so much I have to leave the room. Haha πŸ™‚ I bet that pumpkin bread totally made up for the crummy tuna.
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Sub 2 Hour Half!

24 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine October 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

Aw, what a fun night! I love unique places like that!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Five on Friday

25 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 1, 2011 at 11:54 am

What an AWESOME bar!! I want to find one like that in LA! SO COOL!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..A morning that feels like fall…

26 Lacey @ Lake Life October 1, 2011 at 12:55 pm

How does that price even out compared to having to tip a bartender? I think it’d be worth it to not have to wait!

P.S. Beer comes from a taP, not a tab.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Caprese Bruschetta

27 Meghann October 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Gah! The sad part is I know it’s tap and I re-read that post several times last night. My eyes must have been playing tricks on me. Oh well.

The beer was actually CHEAPER! I used my friend’s card (he bought the beer), but he said his final total at the end of the night was $5 for two big beers and two small ones.

28 Marie October 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I don’t drink beer but this is pretty darn cool! I love the pics of you pouring the beer and how you couldn’t wipe the smile off your face the whole time. Haha!

29 Sophie October 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm

That place looks amazing!! Although I can’t help but think that people who have never worked in a bar would be at a real disadvantage!
Sophie recently posted..Friday Thoughts.

30 Alaina October 1, 2011 at 5:56 pm

That bar looks amazing!! I learned to pour beer in my dad’s bar…in the basement. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..We Now Return…

31 Rick Yazwinski October 1, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Ok, I’ll bite: what was the bar and where is it???

32 Jess@atasteofconfidence October 2, 2011 at 1:54 am

Ah I love that. So fun!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Friday Fives

33 Cait's Plate October 2, 2011 at 8:24 am

Ahh this is so awesome! My boyfriend would die over this!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..It’s In the Details

34 Ali @ Ali Runs October 2, 2011 at 10:57 am

What a fun bar! I definitely wish there was something like that where I live. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Ramon Rocha 5k Race Recap