Zone Out

by Meghann on September 28, 2011

I’m not sure where my mind is tonight. I’ve watched three straight episodes of Felicity on Netflix (love the nostalgic flashback to the late 90s – it’s a lot different watching post-college over pre-high school) and don’t feel like doing much else. It’s a zone-out night around here and i’m good with that. πŸ™‚

Dinner was a BIG improvement over last night’s fail. Derek actually ate all of it then went back for seconds. A good sign I did something right.

I started with some onion (fully peeled!), two Field Roast Apple Sausage, asparagus, and fresh garlic.

Added a couple of big handfuls of spinach.

And a box of Near East Quinoa Blend.

Cook. Mix. Done.

I added some raisins because, well, every rice dish needs raisins in my opinion. πŸ˜‰

Dessert was a VitaTop Muffin (BOGO at Publix! <- the only time I buy them)

Back to Felicity! It’s the episode where she has to choose to go to Berlin with Nole or on the road trip with Ben and I can’t remember which one she chooses!!

New Fall Shows

Just for fun… here’s some of my thoughts on some of the new shows I’ve caught so far. πŸ˜‰

Up All Night (NBC)

Up All Night Promo NBC.jpg

I just caught up on all the new episodes tonight and loved it. Will Arnett is a genius. Christina Applegate is a genius. How could they go wrong? It’s a great light comedy about a couple of new parents who aren’t quite ready for what they’ve gotten themselves into. Lots of easy laughs without going too overboard. I hope this one stays. πŸ™‚

The New Girl (FOX)

new-girl-fox.jpg

eh… I could take it or leave it on this show. The premise sort of reminds me of My Boys from TBS with the boys v. girls ratio. I watched an episode and thought Zooey Deschanel was cute and adorable, but I didn’t feel the need to watch any more.

Two Broke Girls (CBS)

2-broke-girls.jpg

Looks like CBS is taking it back old school with this show. It had a very 90s feel to it and reminded me of the the stuff I used to watch in high school. The premise of a Paris Hilton clone being forced to work in a greasy diner is a funny one, but I don’t see this show making it to January.

The Secret Circle (CW)

the-secret-circle.jpg

I’m a sucker for mysterious high school based dramas (I <3 ABC Family!), so this show was right up my ally. When I returned from Augusta on Tuesday, this was the first show I watched on the DVR. The pilot was so good, I couldn’t wait to see what the circle of witches was up to in episode two. I’m hooked!

Pan Am (ABC)

panam_2x1_640_320.jpg

Loved the idea of this show – and the previews really sold me on it – but the actual pilot didn’t have the teeth I was hoping for. Hopefully the second episode will help sell me on it.

What do you think? Which new shows have you loved and hated so far?

1 Kaitlin September 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I love those field roasted sausages!

I don’t really watch much or any TV, but I caught the pilot of New Girl and thought it was pretty funny– and I used to HATE Zooey Deschanel. Maybe I’ll hulu it more often?
Kaitlin recently posted..Sadako Sushi

2 Amy September 28, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Longtime reader, first time poster—but I had to because I LOVE Felicity! I want to get all the seasons and have a veg out tv day πŸ™‚

New shows I like are: Up all Night and Whitney!

3 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs September 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Ha – I just finished writing my post for the morning about new TV and included most of the same shows (and had similar opinions). I’m most disappointed in New Girl.

Instead of New Girl – you might like Happy Endings. It was a midseason replacement last year and I think it’s really funny and cute!

4 Andrea September 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Ooh thanks for letting me know Felicity was on netflixs! Really liked it but I missed a lot of the show completing an internship for PT school in a small town out in the middle of nowhere in CO and studying. 13 yrs ago. Feeling old now…

5 Lindsey September 28, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I am watching 2 Broke Girls right now, I really like it so far, might add it to my regular shows πŸ™‚ New Girl isn’t bad I will watch it when I have the time, but probably not regularly. I wanted to watch The Secret Circle but keep forgetting!
Lindsey recently posted..Half Way There

6 Heather September 28, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Revenge on ABC is amazing!
Heather recently posted..Let’s Play Catch (Up)

7 Corey @ Learning Patience September 28, 2011 at 11:16 pm

happy girl – check! secret circle – check!

xoxo from Houston — till tomorrow!
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..5 Things That Made Me Smile Today

8 Deva @ deva by definition September 28, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Im enjoying New Girl so far, but I need to see more-it has potential. I have Glee on my DVR and will probably watch it on Friday πŸ™‚
Deva @ deva by definition recently posted..#fitblog: Makin Time to Sweat!

9 Cait's Plate September 28, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I’m loving New Girl! I hope it stays too. I’m curious about Pan Am as well. And Revenge because I’m obsessed with Emily VanCamp. So many shows, too little time!!

10 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:36 am

I think I’m still sad Emily VanCamp left Brothers and Sisters and I refuse to see her as anything but Rebecca, but that’s just me being petty πŸ™‚ If it sticks around it looks like a good one to catch up on over the summer πŸ™‚

11 Jaclyn @realhealthwife September 28, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Totally agree on Pan Am, was dissapointed in the first episode. Two Broke Girls and The Playboy Club are my two favorites so far this year, but I still have Suburgatory on my DVR from tonight so hopefully that is good!
Jaclyn @realhealthwife recently posted..Chocolate Craving

12 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:37 am

I need to watch an episode of The Playboy Club. I keep forgetting that the show exists, I don’t feel they really blew it out of the water with advertising.

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 28, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I am not much of a TV watcher, but DRop Dead Diva is where it’s at in the Summer! Just SO sad the season ended πŸ™
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Keeping Influenza Away

14 Ashley @ Freckles & Spice September 28, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I’ve been watching Felicity too! I’m just passed you – on episode 2 of season 2. There is so much I forgot about this show.
The new shows are okay. I liked Whitney and 2 Broke Girls. I want to like The New Girl because I love Zoey, but I have mixed feelings. Right now only Modern Family really has my attention. I’m kind of pumped for the fairy tale one coming to abc next month, Once Upon A Time.
Ashley @ Freckles & Spice recently posted..Breakfast Cereal 101

15 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries September 29, 2011 at 12:23 am

I’ve been watching the Felicity episodes off of Netflix lately too! I’m so glad I found it on there. Love that show! It’s nice to have a “veg night” sometimes. πŸ™‚
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #3

16 Lara @TresLaLa September 29, 2011 at 1:08 am

New Girl is off the DVR now… I missed the first episode, but hated the 2nd. 1 chance and done.

I’m eh on Up All Night. Hubby’s decided that I’m allowed to watch without him. (We reserve the best shows for only couple watching). Not sure if it will last the next few weeks on the DVR or not…
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Take 4

17 Michelle September 29, 2011 at 1:41 am

Just watched the new show with Rachel Bilson and loved it
Michelle recently posted..Home Sweet Home

18 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:42 am

Eh.. I want to watch an episode just to see, but the way the critics are attacking it, I’m afraid it’s not going to last. I do love Rachel Bilson though and cheesey CW shows are my speciality. πŸ™‚

19 Elisabeth September 29, 2011 at 2:42 am

I’ve enjoyed several of the new shows & have a few more recorded to try. My favorites so far are Playboy Club, Prime Suspect & Person of Interest, but I’m looking forward to the new Tim Allen show & trying PanAm (even though it doesn’t sound like you loved it)

20 Mia September 29, 2011 at 7:14 am

I’m sorry, you didn’t stay up until midnight watching the Rays beat the Yankees???????????? HOLY CRAP, what a freaking baseball game. Those Rays are looking scarier and scarier, we might as well hand them the world series title right now.

21 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:44 am

haha – Derek did! I found him on the couch at 6:30 this morning where he fell asleep watching the post game highlights. When I woke him the first thing he told me was how I missed the best game of baseball he has ever seen. He’s super excited about what lays in the future! We’re going to try and hit up some of the playoff games!

22 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 29, 2011 at 7:15 am

I used to LOVE Felicity! Now I want to watch it!!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Indian Summer

23 Erin @ The Grass Skirt September 29, 2011 at 7:28 am

My husband and I have been watching The X Factor. It is just so-so, but it is entertaining enough I suppose. We also watched Suburgatory last night. Again, it was entertaining, but I cannot see it lasting too long. I love Jeremy Sisto (from Clueless) though.
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Why I love my slow cooker

24 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:47 am

I don’t see Suburgatory lasting either. I give it 4 episodes – tops! And I’m not a huge fan of American Idol, so I haven’t tuned into X-Factor yet. It’s a little too similar to the original for my taste. πŸ™‚

25 Britt @ Run with Britt September 29, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’m so happy your wrote this post. I’ve been super crunched for time this semester and I’ve only had time to watch one TV show. SHOCK! I’ve watched the season premiere of Desperate Housewives Sunday night. This was my show is high school and it’s the final season. I’m kind of happy it’s the last season however haha.
That’s good to know about the New Girl, that was one I wanted to watch, but I don’t think I’ll waste my time on it…I’ll check out the Secret Circle instead. πŸ™‚
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Torturous Run and Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday

26 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:48 am

haha I feel the same way with Desperate Housewives, it’s one of the shows I’ve watched since the beginning and I think the loyalty is the only reason I’m still watching today. It’s had a good run, but it’s time to retire πŸ™‚

27 Emily @ Life on Food September 29, 2011 at 7:45 am

I missed all of the premieres being so busy with work and travel. Now I feel like I will never catch up. So much for this season.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Maine’s Lobster Shack

28 Lee September 29, 2011 at 7:47 am

I really liked Up All Night. I tried to watch The New Girl and got bored, even though I really like Zoe Dechanel (I know that’s spelled wrong. I’m too lazy to look it up). I haven’t seen any of the others.
Lee recently posted..Stadium Pretzel

29 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 29, 2011 at 8:24 am

I’m loving Up All Night too. Free Agents, which is on right after that, is pretty funny as well. I wanted to watch Pan Am but forgot to DVR it!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Mellow Mushroom

30 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:49 am

Pam Am is on the ABC site. That’s how I watched it, otherwise my DVR wouldn’t have let me πŸ˜‰

31 Megan September 29, 2011 at 8:31 am

Up All Night was pulled from our series manager in our DRR after episode #1. As a new mom, I can say it is not at all accurate. She just jumps off to work that first day? No tears? Yeah right.
I also thought the Maya Rudolf (sp?) character was over the top.
I might give 2 Broke Girls a shot, though.

32 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:51 am

I just thought it was funny. They’re going a different direction with their take on new parents and I don’t think it’s suppose to be taken seriously. Granted, I’m not a new parent and have nothing to base my opinion off of though. I do agree that Maya Rudolf (ph?) is over the top. I’m not a fan of hers anyways.

33 Megan September 29, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Agreed it wasn’t meant to be a serious show. I am probably too close to it to be objective about it. I just know that my first day back at work, I was a crying, boob-leaking, horrible mess. πŸ™‚

34 Ali @ Ali Runs September 29, 2011 at 8:33 am

I haven’t seen any of those new shows, but I love Christina Applegate so I’m sure Up All Night would be right up my alley. Glad you had better success with this dinner! πŸ™‚

35 Hope September 29, 2011 at 8:36 am

I’m loving Hart of Dixie, Secret Circle, and Pan Am! πŸ™‚ Just so you know 2 Broke Girls is on CBS and not on FOX. Haha. I really want to watch that show. I hate that Comcast doesn’t have it on On-Demand. Looks like I’ll need to watch it online.
Hope recently posted..Some Of My September Favorites…

36 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:51 am

haha Thanks for letting me know! I didn’t look it up, and just assumed Fox because it had that FOX vibe to it. Oops!

37 Anne Weber-Falk September 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

my husband is so excited for the new TV fall season. We both enjoyed Pan Am, very retro and with some intrigue. Tried to watch the Playboy show but lasted just ten minutes. TERRIBLE show! We liked 2 Broke Girls but I wonder how long they will be able to come up with the one liners for the dark-haired girl. Couldn’t get into Up All Night but we saw just one episode but loved Maya Rudolf. We forgot it was on last night. We like the New Girl show. Cute and quirky. I think there are too many things to watch this year. How many new shows will survive?

38 Tania @ Health Macadamia September 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

I’ve been the same way with Felicity the last few days – ever since I noticed it landed on Netflix!
Tania @ Health Macadamia recently posted..Better Than Expected

39 Diane @ DixieJulep September 29, 2011 at 9:32 am

I’m feeling very lukewarm about most of the new shows this season. I haven’t outright hated any of them, but I’m not 100% sure that I’ll keep watching any of them through the entire season yet.

I’m with you that Up All Night seems to have the most potential of the sitcoms. The first episode trotted out a lot of cliches, but they seem to be moving past that now, and I think it has potential to become more interesting as they grow the characters a little. Plus, as a working mom married to an SAHD, I’m loving seeing a couple like us on TV!

I’m still on the fence about New Girl, Whitney, Ringer and Hart of Dixie. I’ve been DVR-ing Playboy Club and PanAm but haven’t watched them yet.
Diane @ DixieJulep recently posted..Race Recap: Miracle Miles 15K

40 Meredith September 29, 2011 at 9:33 am

i don’t have tv so i’m stuck watching things on hulu . . . it’s hard to know what to watch without all the preview commercials i’m used to, so this review is great! i did watch the pan am pilot, and i liked it — i will be watching that one again for sure.

41 Kari September 29, 2011 at 10:32 am

LOVED Up All Night. I’m pretty sure Will Arnett is forecasting what my fiance will be like as a father. Good, with intermittent disaster. πŸ™‚
Kari recently posted..WIAW: Meals at Home

42 Cait @ Cait hates Cake September 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

Haha, I used to love Felicity. Might have to check those out on Netflix! The only new show I’ve seen this season is Up All Night and I loved it!
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Clean Eating Cooking Class

43 Nicole September 29, 2011 at 11:54 am

Hart of Dixie, Secret Circle, Revenge and Person of Interest have been my favorite new shoes. Up All Night is cute and Pan Am better hurry and get better or it’ll lose me! It seems great but…

I just started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. Wow! I love it. Have you seen it? Also, I just started watching True Blood too. I guess I’m a little late to those shows. Heh.
Nicole recently posted..Happy 17th Birthday, Alexis!

44 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep September 29, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I LOVE Felicity! I own all of the seasons and watch them pretty often!

I’m loving Pan Am, Person of Interest, and Revenge.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Week Three of Marathon Training

45 Sophie September 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm

You totally deserve a chill out night after the weekend!
Sophie recently posted..The A-Z Of Me!

46 mary lynne September 29, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I love 2 Broke Girls! Rarely does a show make me laugh out loud, but this one does. It better make it past mid season :).
I also like the Secret Circle and Pan Am is watchable. Like you, I’m hoping the 2nd ep gets it going.
mary lynne recently posted..Oh, How Pinteresting Wednesday

47 CampingGirl October 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I am a huge fan of New Girl! I attempted to watch 2 Broke Girls and couldn’t get through the second episode, not for me. I watched the first episode of Hart of Dixie but I need to see another one to see if I like it.
CampingGirl recently posted..It’s A Special Day!