Can’t Win Them All

by Meghann on September 27, 2011

Dinner fail. πŸ™

Have you ever accidentally cooked an onion with the skin still on and then try to blend it in a soup?

Umm…. yeah. Not good. It was sort of like eating shrimp with the shell on.

The flavor was still good (just sweet potatoes, white potatoes, onion, carrots, and vegetable broth blended) and I managed to finish my bowl by picking the onion skin out, but Derek gave up and moved on to sandwiches.

Oh well. Can’t win them all. πŸ˜‰

My lunch was better.

A chopped veggie salad (minus leafy greens) with hummus.

• green beans
  • carrot
  • tomato
  • apple
  • blue cheese
  • almonds
  • hummus

Afternoon snack of trail mix.

I had an AMAZING yoga practice after I finished work this afternoon. The teacher had asked if we had any requests and I promptly piped up with a big plea for hip-openers. After nearly breaking down in tears during an extended pigeon pose, I left with brand new hips. I’m telling you – yoga is almost as good as a massage sometimes. πŸ™‚

Dinner might have been a fail, but dessert was a winner.

The Ghiradelli Instense Dark Sea Salt Soiree Chocolates gets two thumbs up. πŸ˜‰

Have you had a dinner fail recently? Please share, so I know I’m not alone.

1 Kaitlin September 27, 2011 at 10:06 pm

YUM. I was excited to hear how you felt about the dark chocolate with sea salt. Sounds so good.

As far as dinner fails go… definitely. Just yesterday I poured cumin into my morning pumpkin oats instead of cinnamon. Such a sad fail πŸ™
Kaitlin recently posted..Sadako Sushi

2 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm

i love lettuce-less salads… more room for the good stuff!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..healthy take out tips.

3 Wifey September 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Um, yeah. Dinner was a fail tonight. I overcooked the lean beef for my beef and broccoli and it tasted pretty much like tough rubber. Gasp!

On a positive note, my rice was great!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey
Wifey recently posted..Taper Time: Two Weeks Til Chicago …

4 Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) September 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I made scrambled eggs the other night — easy, right? — but apparently hadn’t cleaned the pan well enough from a previous meal when I’d made fish because the eggs + veggies tasted slightly fishy, just fishy enough to be really BAD. I ended up tossing the whole meal and eating cereal instead.
Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) recently posted..Darlington House Brunch: A Classic

5 Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 27, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Not-so-good dinners make all the other ones that much better πŸ˜‰
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..From Blah to Bam!

6 Hillary September 27, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Sea salt chocolate trumps any fails you have. It’s like a rule or something.
Hillary recently posted..Biscoff White Chocolate Muddy Buddies

7 Sara @ RunnerWife September 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm

At least you were able to end it with Chocolate, I mean that completely make sup for it doesn’t it!?!
Sara @ RunnerWife recently posted..A Tough Day

8 Army Amy* September 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I’ve never had much luck with yoga, but my hips are tight after running. Now I’m tempted to try it out.*
Army Amy* recently posted..5 Songs

9 Megan S September 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

The other Day I was making bolognese sauce and Burnt it. As I attempted to scrape the
Burnt bits off the bottom I splashed it covering myself in boiling sauce. Panicked I tore off all my clothes. As I stood there panting in nothing but my underpants surrounded by tomato sauce I realized it was not my most impressive moment. So yes, definitely dinner fail over here. And mine is a cooking blog!
Megan S recently posted..Cauliflower Pizza and Red Pants

10 Sana September 27, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I have never had an amazing yoga practice! I think it’s because my back is terrible that most position hurt πŸ™

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 27, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Um, this made me laugh out loud. especially the “Derek gave up and moved on to sandwiches” part. Sorry about the dinner fail, but it was pretty funny to read about at least πŸ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin brownies

12 wymberley September 27, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Giant bomb in Texas today. Creamy leeks and bacon and salmon pattys. Too much Thyme and the salmon had vertebra in it. I cant stand that! Te cream over powered the bacon and the leeks were chewy. fail.
wymberley recently posted..15 Miles and What Do You Get?

13 Katherine Morgan September 27, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I made a giant pot of soup the other night…I sauteed onions, celery, carrot, garlic and potatoes. Then added chicken stock. I was about to add some barley when I opened the box and there was a little creature (weevil) in it. I was so grossed out I started throwing everything in my pantry away. I couldn’t even eat the soup. I fed it to the disposal.
Katherine Morgan recently posted..Chili Beans

14 Lara @TresLaLa September 28, 2011 at 1:48 am

Yikes. Well, the first picture looks good! You tried!
I thinking seriously need to start going back to yoga! Like a massage? Yes, please!

15 Britt @ Run with Britt September 28, 2011 at 5:34 am

Dark chocolate totally makes up for a dinner fail. πŸ˜‰ I just bought a big bar of that same chocolate last night. I love sticking it in the freezer and eating it cold. πŸ™‚
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..How To Tell If Your Kicks Are About To Kick The Bucket

16 MizFit September 28, 2011 at 6:18 am

THANK YOU for your honesty and being human πŸ™‚
MizFit recently posted..My Top 3 Misfit Marketing Tips.

17 Rachel September 28, 2011 at 7:08 am

I was recently making a kind of complicated saute and risotto, and instead of dumping in 2 cups of white wine, I dumped in two cups of white wine vinegar. I kept sniffing the mix as it cooked, thinking to myself “that smells kind of strong.” When I realized my mistake, I frantically tried to drain the vinegar out, rinse the ingredients and start over, but it was too late, and I was left with a pile of damp and sour veggies, rice, and seafood.

18 Courtney September 28, 2011 at 8:24 am

Read your post, the next blog post on my list-

You are definitely not alone!

19 Katherine September 28, 2011 at 8:32 am

Ha! The other night I wanted to make these corn fritters that my mom always used to make when I was little. I called her for the recipe, but I attempted to make them without any eggs (not a fan). Big mistake. Instead of being shaped like pancakes, we ate the ‘fritters’ out of a bowl with spoons. They still tasted good, but there were a major fail in terms of appearance.

20 Alexa @ SimpleEats September 28, 2011 at 8:32 am

Dinner fail: soup that was wayyyy too salty. I couldn’t even salvage it. Went right down the drain.
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Snack Attack

21 Sara September 28, 2011 at 9:01 am

Did you do that on purpose? You are a trooper for sticking it out! (Not that I blame Derek for calling it quits and having a sandwich – I would have done the same.) : )
Sara recently posted..Back for the Party (but not the reception!)

22 Cait's Plate September 28, 2011 at 9:22 am

Dinner fails are the worst! Any meal fail really. It’s so sad when a meal gets messed up and you’re left feeling unsatisfied πŸ™

Luckily there’s dessert after dinner to make up for it!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Empty Jar

23 Carly September 28, 2011 at 9:25 am

I tried making your “chicken and dumplings with black eyed peas” recipe, except I got a bit mixed up on the dough topping. Apparently there is a difference between a teaspoon of baking powder and a tablespoon…my poor wife tried SO HARD to choke it down before finally giving up and admitting it was inedible.
Carly recently posted..Flipside Wallet Gets Better with the FlipsideKick

24 Meghann September 28, 2011 at 9:39 am

Ouch! I’ve been there! Messing up on baking powder or baking soda (even when it doesn’t seem like that much) is the worst!

25 Carly September 28, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yes. The very worst is that it’s not the first time I made that mistake. πŸ™
Carly recently posted..Flipside Wallet Gets Better with the FlipsideKick

26 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 28, 2011 at 11:07 am

Haha i had a dinner fail last night, I tried out a marinara and hummus sauce recipe but used canned tomatoes instead of marinara. When I put it on top of my veggies and spaghetti squash it was so watery I had to drain out my bowl several times!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

27 Kath September 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Nope, can’t say I’ve ever tried that πŸ˜‰
Kath recently posted..Hi From The Pumpkin Oven

28 Joy September 30, 2011 at 6:25 am

I have dinner fails all the time! My most common one is when I turn on the toaster oven and when is dings (an hour later) realize it wasn’t plugged in!
Joy recently posted..The house that craigslist built

29 Meghann September 30, 2011 at 8:57 am