Worth Every Blister

by Meghann on September 26, 2011

Yesterday I did a half ironman.

Today my back and butt hurt (darn you bike!), I’m so thirsty that I can’t seem to get enough to drink, and my feet have more blisters than there are toes.

But, I don’t care.

I am a half ironman and all that pain is worth it. Totally worth it. πŸ˜‰

IMG_3938.jpg

Hopping in a car for a 6 hour drive after racing for 6.5 hours was tough, but manageable. I wore my Recovery Socks and felt zero pain in my legs the whole ride. It was incredible. I was also so pumped up from my runner’s high that I volunteered to drive the final 3 hours home. Crazy, much?! πŸ˜‰

We stopped at a Starbucks and I got an Awake Tea with a pump of Pumpkin Spice.

IMG_3761.jpg

Then ‘ice cream’ was mentioned and we found the closest place we knew that would satisfy our urgent need for it – McDonalds.

Did you know McDonalds now have dipped cones. πŸ˜‰

We eventually made it back to my parents’ just after midnight and – after finishing my recap – I crashed harder than I’ve ever crashed before. Sleep never felt so good!

This morning I slept in and made an easy breakfast of Lemon Chobani, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Uncle Sam’s Strawberry Flakes, and Grapes.

Mmm…. grapes.

My head has been buzzing all morning with ideas for post-half ironman reflection posts!

Did I feel my training was enough?

Do I plan to do a full?

What’s next on the race calendar?

You’ll just have to stay tuned and find out!!! πŸ˜‰

70.3 official!! Booyah!

1 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 26, 2011 at 11:39 am

CONGRATS Meghann!!!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Slow Cooker Pumpkin Apple Butter

2 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 26, 2011 at 11:40 am

Yay! You got a HIM sticker πŸ™‚ Awesome!!

3 Julianne September 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

Congrats on your race, loved reading the recap.

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

McDonald’s cones are pretty much the best thing in that place. I had no idea “dips” were available! Nice sticker, well deserved πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon training week 2

5 Sara @ RunnerWife September 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

Congrats again!! I love the sticker – I can’t wait to replace my 13.1 for a 26.2 here in less than 2 weeks!!
Sara @ RunnerWife recently posted..Our Engagement Story

6 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 26, 2011 at 11:47 am

annnnnnnnnnnd you rock
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Cover him in a burlap sack and make him live in a tent.

7 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food September 26, 2011 at 11:48 am

Congrats!!! What an amazing accomplishment! You’re so right that it’s worth every blister! πŸ˜€
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..We Get Around – Gloucester and Rockport, MA Edition

8 Britt @ runwithbritt September 26, 2011 at 11:51 am

Live that you are rockin’ the sticker! You should be so proud for dominating that race with your sister! I can’t believe y’all had to drive back, that’s insane! Good thing for Micky D’s ice cream cones πŸ™‚
Britt @ runwithbritt recently posted..Marathon Training Week 11 Recap

9 Jen September 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

congrats!! what a great accomplishment. love the sticker!
Jen recently posted..A Hot Fall Run

10 Lindsay September 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

Out of curiosity, do you also have a 26.2 sticker on your car?

Congrats on finishing! Make sure you are getting electrolytes in and not just straight water. After my first tri, I felt thirsty and drank so much water that I actually started to get sick to my stomach and couldn’t keep down any food. We couldn’t figure out what it was for awhile, and finally discovered that I wasn’t getting enough salt. Once I started drinking some G2, I was magically better again!

11 Meghann September 26, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Yes, I do! It’s on the opposite side of the window. πŸ™‚

12 Silvia @ skinny jeans food September 26, 2011 at 11:58 am

Hey, you are an ironWOman!! congrats!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Upgrading BodyMedia

13 Silvia @ skinny jeans food September 26, 2011 at 11:59 am

half ironWOman, I mean πŸ˜‰
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Upgrading BodyMedia

14 My Traveling Troop September 26, 2011 at 12:07 pm

How inspiring! Congrats on such an amazing accomplishment!

Cheers,
Kristina
My Traveling Troop recently posted..T.G.I.F.

15 Leanne @ The Skinny Architect September 26, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Congrats on the HUGE accomplishment! I really loved reading your posts about training and now completing your first half Ironman, they were super inspirational! Can’t wait to see what’s up next for you! πŸ™‚

16 SkinnyRunner September 26, 2011 at 12:12 pm

i love hearing/seeing when other people have the runners high! i guess it’d be tri-high for you. its inspiring!
SkinnyRunner recently posted..Free Entertainment

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm

AMAZING!!!! You rock. Seriously.

18 Krystina (Organically Me) September 26, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Girl, I’m beyond amazed by you. You’re a POWERHOUSE and an inspiration to female runners. Keep rockin’. πŸ™‚
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..My Favorite At-Home Yoga Podcasts: Part I

19 Liz September 26, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Congratulations, again, Meghann! (and Ben & Kelly!) Way to go for rocking the 70.3 sticker πŸ˜€

20 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 26, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Congrats again Meghann! And you already mentioned my next question, which is, what’s next!?!?
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..New Series Kickoff: Spotlight on Fall Produce!

21 s September 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm

woot πŸ™‚

22 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates September 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Congrats Meghann! That sticker is seriously bad @$$.

Also, I did not know you can get a pump of pumpkin spice. Fantastic news.
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Siggy’s Fueled Apartment Hunting

23 Hillary September 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I would totally do this race just for the sticker ; )
Hillary recently posted..Biscoff White Chocolate Muddy Buddies

24 Hope September 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Congrats again! πŸ™‚ I didn’t know that McDonald’s has dipped cones! It looks fantastic!!!

25 Cait's Plate September 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Mmm that ice cream cone looks like perfection and was MORE than well deserved!!

26 Heather September 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Congratulations, quite the accomplishment πŸ™‚
Heather recently posted..Let’s Play Catch (Up)

27 melissa September 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm

amazing! I didn’t know that mcdonalds has dipped cones, that’s dangerous information!
melissa recently posted..Hampton’s Part Duex

28 Deva @ Deva by Definition September 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Congrats on your BIG accomplishment!

Is a full Ironman in your future?
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Basic Pancakes: a Recipe

29 Ali @ Ali Runs September 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Congrats Meghann! I’m so happy for you, Kelly, and Ben! What an awesome experience, made even better by racing with your family! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..18 Miles

30 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Yay congrats on completing the Iron Man! That is awesome!!

31 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

mcdonalds has dipped cones?! mcdonald’s ice cream is my favorite soft serve of all time, the only thing DQ had on mcd’s was the dip… not anymore, it seems!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..pumpkin pancake dipped apple slices

32 SaraRM September 26, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Finish line picture needs no words. – It makes such a powerful statement- Amazing! πŸ™‚

33 Emily@SavoryandSavage September 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm

A huge congrats on your wonderful finish!

I just can’t imagine exercising for 6 hours straight!

I would definitely head out for an ice cream after that:-)
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..How Cheez-Its can improve salmon

34 Beth (Well I'll Be) September 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Wow, congrats on your race! What an accomplishment. I can’t wait to hear more about it once you’re removed from it. That ice cream looks amazing!
Beth (Well I’ll Be) recently posted..Nashville Women’s Half Marathon Recap

35 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 26, 2011 at 5:00 pm

What a tease – I was ready to sit back, relax, and read your race report. I guess I’m going to have to work on my patience again. πŸ™‚ Congratulations on your half ironman – can’t wait to hear if you’re going to register for another. I have some race recommendations if you do…. πŸ™‚

36 Meghann September 26, 2011 at 8:42 pm
37 Brittney September 26, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I am so, so, so happy for you!!! Congrats!
Brittney recently posted..What a LOOONG weekend!

38 Cat September 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Congrats on your race! I’ve been a reader for about a year now, but this is my first time commenting.
While you were doing Augusta yesterday, I ran my first half marathon! I’m in my sophomore year of college so it was a challenge fitting in workouts but I did it! I read your post on Saturday night and it really inspired me to give it my all…I ran 15 minutes faster than I was expecting to. (But I can’t imagine running 13.1 after biking and swimming!)
The only problem is, I had trouble refueling during the race. I didn’t drink water or eat on my training runs, so I only took a couple sips from aid stations during the race and had a pounding headache when the race was over. What do you suggest as an alternative to getting water if my stomach can’t really handle fluids when running?

Congrats again on your truly amazing accomplishment.

39 Meghann September 26, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Try orange slices! Or ice pops! πŸ™‚ Also, you should start training with fluids! If you start training with fluids it will be easier to take them on race day.

40 Cristina September 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Congratulations! I loved reading your recap. How inspiring!!!!

41 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 26, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Congrats!!!! THat is so awesome!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..School Days

42 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Big congrats to you!! What a wonderful achievement =- and I loved reading your race report!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Tofu Pad Thai and Bargain Book Buys

43 Hilary September 26, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Wow…you are insane! And a rockstar. Way to go!
Hilary recently posted..4.8

44 mi-an d. September 26, 2011 at 6:57 pm

congrats again!!! so you did do the race with your siblings?? i just want to make sure i read that right. lol

45 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler September 26, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Hey Meghann, I just found this out last night, and I think it’s SO COOL!! My cousin Nathan also competed in the Augusta Half Ironman yesterday, and he came in 4th in his division!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Road trip to Asheville!

46 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Congratlations!!! Girl, you rock. Seriously- that’s amazing!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Take 20 times 2

47 Brittany September 26, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Congrats Meghann! You did awesome!
Brittany recently posted..ACL!

48 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries September 26, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Wow, you are seriously awesome. I loved reading your race recap in the previous post! Congratulations!
Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries recently posted..Grocery List

49 Caitlin September 26, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Wow! AWESOME JOB!!!! That’s a dream of mine too! and great time!

I love how you and your sister always cross the finish line together!! I wish I had that!
Caitlin recently posted..Happy 4 month to my broken skull!

50 Laura @ Backstage Balance September 26, 2011 at 10:14 pm

GO MEGHANN! You are an inspiration to us all. Congrats again on having accomplished your half ironman!
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..Ready as I’m gonna be.

51 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 27, 2011 at 9:00 am

Congratulations on completing your race! That is such an amazing feat! You go girl! πŸ˜€
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday + Great Pumpkin Cookie Recipe

52 Stefano September 27, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Hi Meghann! Congrats! Augusta 70.3 this past weekend was my first half Ironman, too!! Feet fullll of blisters but WORTH EVERY ONE!

Day plus two and already feeling edgy…want to start training again but feet need to recover. Hopefully will be good to go by weekend!

Congrats again!