The First Son Has Returned

by Meghann on September 23, 2011

It feels good to be home.

I slept in, leisurely watched Wednesday’s America’s Next Top Model (no surprises who went home this week), and ate a delicious breakfast prepared by Dad. Why did I want to become a grown up and move away again?!

Everyone took the day off in honor of my brother Josh being home from LA. He’s only here until Tuesday and – since he’s a 6 hour plane ride away – we want to spend as much time with him as possible. Unfortunately he also came the same weekend three of us will be driving up to Georgia for half of the time he’s here. Boo. Gotta get that brother/ sister bonding time in now.

I need to remember to get a photo of him. Apparently ‘first year resident’ also means ‘the year to grow a beard.’ I’m finding it hard not to giggle every time I see his hair covered baby face. πŸ™‚

My Dad always gets excited when there are extra mouths to feed and loves making big breakfasts. This morning he did homemade hash browns with eggs.

And cantaloupe.

My little brother and I are about to hit up the local bike store for last minute supplies, then Publix for road trip essentials. We’re planning on saving $$ by packing food to make meals on the road. We’ll probably go with the basic build-your-own-sandwiches, but if you have any other ideas please leave them below!

Happy Friday!!!

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 23, 2011 at 9:17 am

Good idea to make meals on the road! I always prefer to do that – even though it takes a little extra effort, I can rest assured that I won’t have to spend time and precious $$ hunting down healthy restaurant options! Have a great day Meghann!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Fit Bit Friday 12

2 Silvia @ skinny jeans food September 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

How about taking an inexpensive roadside charcoal grill and bring frozen pizza (it will thaw til you get there), and make it on the grill… good for carb loading and calming pre-ironman jitters πŸ˜‰
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Upgrading BodyMedia

3 Amy September 23, 2011 at 9:31 am

When i stay with my parents my Dad still makes my bed πŸ™‚

4 Krystina (Organically Me) September 23, 2011 at 9:32 am

Enjoy your time with your bro!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..How Do You Decide What’s Best for Your Body?

5 Hope September 23, 2011 at 9:32 am

Breakfast looks delicious! Those potatoes are amazing alone! Have fun with your family πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Cracked View…

6 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 23, 2011 at 9:34 am

Have fun with your family before your big race!!

7 Hillary September 23, 2011 at 9:51 am

My dad loves making dinner for me and my brother. It’s kind of adorable.
Hillary recently posted..Cake Baking Lessons

8 Emily@SavoryandSavage September 23, 2011 at 10:40 am

I love those kind of big weekend breakfast.

Your dad is an amazing cook.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Something to share – great news!

9 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 23, 2011 at 10:43 am

chicken cutlets!! also antipasto! It’s sooo good. Oh, and LOTS of cookies.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Dancing Barefoot Through Cow Crap.

10 Bridget September 23, 2011 at 10:48 am

breakfast looks delicious…but I would be careful eating cantaloupe because of all the outbreaks that have happened!

11 Meghann September 23, 2011 at 11:20 am

outbreaks? oh no, what happened?

12 Bridget September 23, 2011 at 11:30 am

Look at this article. It scary! i will not be buying cantaloupe that is for sure! People are becoming paralyzed or dying from eating it. There is some sort of outbreak

13 Casey @ oatsandnanners September 23, 2011 at 11:04 am

First of all — GOODLUCK!!! We’re all excited to see how it goes πŸ™‚

And some food-on-the-road meals that I always brings:
– Wraps (with tuna, cheese, sandwich meats)
– Cold pasta salad
– Hard boiled eggs
– “Wet sandwiches” — a sandwich smothered in sauces or spreads (like marinara, guac, hummus, salsa) that have to be eaten with a fork and knife!
– TONS of fresh fruit
…. and donuts πŸ™‚

GOODLUCK
Casey @ oatsandnanners recently posted..A Series of Unfortunate Events..

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

I would get some hummus, veggies for dipping, fresh fruit galore, eggs (hardboiled to bring), and obviously ‘good’ granola bars.

Have fun with the brother(s) and fam!

15 Meghann September 23, 2011 at 11:21 am

Hard boiled eggs is a good one!

16 Dori September 23, 2011 at 11:17 am

Delicious looking breakfast! Although I don’t really think Josh is a prodigal son… he seems to be doing really great things!
Dori recently posted..Dudes Unite!

17 Meghann September 23, 2011 at 11:22 am

haha – you’re right. I relate it more to the fact that he disappeared for the last few months over doing bad things. πŸ˜‰

18 deva @ deva by definition September 23, 2011 at 11:17 am

HOw does your dad make his hash browns? They look AMAZING!
deva @ deva by definition recently posted..Girls Night Out

19 Cristina September 23, 2011 at 11:18 am

Those potatoes look AMAZING!! Do y ou think your dad would want to share the recipe with your readers?!?!?! Best of luck this weekend! I have loved reading about your training.

20 Meghann September 23, 2011 at 11:23 am

All he does is cube the potatoes and cook it in lots of evoo, onion, garlic, and lots of pepper until that potatoes are soft. πŸ™‚

21 Bri September 23, 2011 at 11:27 am

I’d suggest a quick Google search for ‘prodigal son,’ as it seems you did not do so prior to selecting that term as the title for your post. Not a great descriptor for your MD brother…

22 Meghann September 23, 2011 at 11:41 am

I was using it more as a term to describe his return home. I realized my error and corrected it. Now i am hanging my head in embarrassment for ever using it in the first place.

23 Biz September 23, 2011 at 11:50 am

My Dad made the best breakfasts too – his hashbrowns were always amazing, shredded, perfectly crispy – I miss that!

Drive safe!
Biz recently posted..Do I like mussels? First VLOG?!

24 mary September 23, 2011 at 11:51 am

You’d be surprised how many docs all of the sudden grow beards when they rotate through our unit. Finding time to eat, sleep and shave your face is hard when you’re doing 30 hour shifts every 3 days! πŸ˜‰

good luck this weekend!
mary recently posted..Quick oats are better than Instant

25 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 23, 2011 at 2:50 pm

how does your dad make those potatoes look just like diner homefries?! delish!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..how to get in your workout and stay out of the gym.

26 Ali @ Ali Runs September 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Aw enjoy the time with your whole family together! It’s too bad he can’t come to Georgia with you!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Official Race Pictures

27 Army Amy* September 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

The hashbrowns look to die for!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Toothbrush on the Loose!

28 diana@mymarblerye September 24, 2011 at 9:32 am

my husband also hasn’t shaved. I think sleep>shaving when they are first year residents!
diana@mymarblerye recently posted..Oktoberfest

29 Sophie @ threetimesf September 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Haha I’m at home with my Mum this weekend and am also enjoying the food situation! πŸ™‚ enjoy!
Sophie @ threetimesf recently posted..Life Wobbles & A Catch Up!