Fish Bones

by Meghann on September 23, 2011

As promised…

Doesn’t it make you want to giggle just a little bit? 😉

Don’t worry Josh – I still love you! What else are sisters for?!

Today was a good day.

Not only did I get to see my twin brother who I haven’t seen in 3 months, but – as an added bonus – I got to hang out with my Grandma A.

My grandma rocks. Obviously.

We met her for lunch at a local seafood joint called Catfish. It was a beautiful location, right on the water and packed for lunch on a Friday.

We were quoted a 40 minute wait, but sat in 10.

IMG_3538.jpg

The restaurant is known for their salad bar, so I kept it easy for lunch and ordered the soup and salad bar combo.

The soup was the ‘Pot Likker Soup’ and contained turnip greens, collards, black eyed peas, and ham. It was a true southern comfort cup of soup and I loved it.

Random cheese grits and cornbread.

The main event.

I loaded my plate with a taste of everything the salad bar had to offer. My favorite? the pickled okra! It’s something my little brother always keeps stocked in the fridge, but I never think to buy it on my own. Pickled okra sounds strange, but it’s the perfect mix of chewy, salty, and green.

My grandmother shared a piece of shrimp with me and my Dad gave me some of his catfish.

Speaking of catfish… this was different.

The catfish fingerlings (they’re signature dish) were served bone -in and you were instructed to eat it ‘like a rib’ straight from the fish. My Dad and brother LOVED it.

hmmm… I think I prefer my fish boneless. 😉

Each meal came with a signature cinnamon bun and hush puppy for dessert. I had half of each.

Lunch was fab, but the rest of the afternoon was rush, rush, rush!

My siblings and I are currently on the road on our way to Augusta!

Look out Georgia, here we come!!!!!

1 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 23, 2011 at 7:00 pm

WAHOO! You’re on your way! All your hard work, preparation, money, determination, and planning are about to totally pay off. You will rock it, my dear!

I too prefer my fish with out bones….ewww!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Mourning Summer

2 Rachel September 23, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Does Ben buy the Wickles pickled okra? Their pickles are really good & I’ve been meaning to try the okra. Have a safe trip & good luck to you all!!
Rachel recently posted..I Almost Forgot…

3 Rachel September 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Hey you were just down the street from me! And it’s called “Aunt Catfish’s” 🙂 The owners go to my church and it seems like half our church works there. It is WONDERFUL. The breakfast buffet is amazing on Sundays.
Rachel recently posted..Dear Sara,

4 Deva @ deva by definition September 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I think I prefer my fish boneless, too.
Deva @ deva by definition recently posted..Two Weeks Ago

5 Hilary September 23, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Good luck and have a blast!!!!!!!

6 Renee September 23, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I’m not sure if its just me or not- but it seems that your twin bro and kelly look alot alike than you and ben look alot alike… maybe its just me? lol…

hope you have a safe and wonderful time in augusta! 🙂

7 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 23, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I always forget you’re a twin! I have an identical twin sister, but I don’t really know any other twins, which is why I get so excited when I see them 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Stevia vs. Splenda

8 Hillary September 23, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Fish off the bone? Yeah, I think I’ll pass!

9 MaryBe@Accidentally-Vegan September 23, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I think your brother looks great with that beard! And how cute is your Gramma??
I love the photo of your Dad and brother eating those ‘fish fingers’!
Good luck tomorrow
MaryBe@Accidentally-Vegan recently posted..The End of an Amazing Life, and the Beginning of a New One Together

10 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Collards are my favorite vegetable of all time 😀 Mmmmmm
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Eversave Giveaway

11 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 23, 2011 at 9:14 pm

i love fresh, veggie filled salad bars. looks delicious!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..how to get in your workout and stay out of the gym.

12 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 23, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Aunt Catfish is my FAVORITE restaurant in the world. More for the memories bec I have gone there every year on our annual family trip to Daytona…but their salad bar and those cinnamon buns? Both epic.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Friday Fun

13 Sana September 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I like my fish boneless too, blah!

14 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I love catfish but I dont know about eating it off the bone…Interesting!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..College Rule

15 Meghan R September 24, 2011 at 10:13 am

So glad you enjoyed Aunt Catfish’s! I was totally going to correct you on the name (I’m originally from Daytona), but Rachel beat me too it.

16 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

Any meal that comes with a cinnamon bun and hush puppy it ok in my book! I love pickeled okra too. They’re addicting!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..I said, “Yes!”

17 Nicole September 24, 2011 at 12:10 pm

OMG – bone-in catfish? Are you kidding me? It looks like the plate was attacked by fish in some cartoon. Ha ha!
I would have stuck with the salad bar too! (btw, how white is that iceburg lettuce? Eegads!)

Your plate looked heavenly!
Nicole recently posted..Successful goals

18 Ali @ Ali Runs September 24, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I always think it’s so funny when guys that don’t normally have beards grow one. I’m still trying to get used to my boyfriends, luckily it’s getting shaved off Monday! 😉
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Stomp Out Hunger 5k

19 Lara @TresLaLa September 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Oh man. I think I would have just piled my plate with the hushpuppies!
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..What You Don’t Know Won’t Really Hurt You…

20 Sophie September 28, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Haha, that is a great beard! 😉

Argh, fish with the bones in creeps me out! The food looks great though 🙂
Sophie recently posted..Food & Fitness…That Is What The Blog’s Called After All!