Escaping the Cereal Rut

by Meghann on September 22, 2011

4 miles. Done. Finish. That’s it.

My final run before Augusta is behind me. The next time I lace up my running shoes I’ll be transitioning off the bike and ready to hit the road for 13.1 miles around downtown Augusta. eekkk….

72 hours to go!

I was feeling fancy for breakfast.

French toast is fancy, right? πŸ˜‰

I love the idea of french toast because you can make it out of anything – pumpkin bread, pitas, frozen waffles, etc. All of it is delicious and all of it is a fun twist on a classic breakfast.

This morning I went the english muffin route and dipped two english muffin halves in a wash of eggs, flaxseed, soy milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. I fried them up in frying pan and served with plain yogurt and defrosted frozen strawberries.

I’ve been in a cereal rut, the english muffin french toast was a nice change. I need less cereal and more french toast in my life. πŸ™‚

What’s your favorite thing to make french toast out of? Personally, I think cinnamon raisin bread is the way to go. πŸ˜‰

1 Emily@RunningPerspective September 22, 2011 at 9:35 am

i forgot how much i love french toast! i lovee making it with italian bread left over from dinner the night before!!!! a nice crunchy crust and a soft insidee! french toast it up and sprinkle some cinnamon= perfect in my book!
Emily@RunningPerspective recently posted..finally! and getting schedulizeddd

2 Kayla @ SproutyBuns September 22, 2011 at 9:35 am

I always feel like I’m making myself an elaborate breakfast when I make french toast – then I realize it takes as much effort, if not less, than a regular ole’ bowl of oats πŸ˜‰ Fancy, easy and delicious!
Kayla @ SproutyBuns recently posted..Two Wrongs Make A Right

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 22, 2011 at 9:36 am

Mmmm french toast! It’s a favorite of mine anytime I go out for breakfast. Cinnamon raisin bread is a real winner but I’m also just happy with a little wheat bread with some cinnamon thrown into the “batter.”
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted.."Smashed in my car window, didn’t touch the stereo"

4 Athena @ fitnessandfeta September 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

I agree with you! Cinnamon raisin bread πŸ™‚
Athena @ fitnessandfeta recently posted..Summer 2011 Recap

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

Woohooo! Congrats on finishing off the plan Meghann!
My favourite thing to make French toast with is Silver Hills breads, (I know, not very adventurous!) but I add a ton of cinnamon, and top them with a mix of pumpkin puree, agave, vanilla yogurt, and pumpkin spice. SO good!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..How Old Are You.. Really?

6 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count September 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

French toast is def fancy when you jazz it up with all the tasty extras! I just made some homemade bread last night, so I think I will cut a few pieces to let them get a little stale and make a french toast casserole!

7 Liz September 22, 2011 at 9:43 am

I love french toast, but never make it at home – I prefer to make waffles at home & order french toast in a restaurant πŸ™‚

8 Khushboo September 22, 2011 at 9:48 am

Love French toast but never seem to make it at home! French toast waffles are where it is AT!
Khushboo recently posted..Maggie develops an eating disorder

9 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

Brioche or Panettone are probably the most decadent French Toast bases.

10 Liz @ Southern Charm September 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

I totally forgot about french toast! I don’t even remember my favorite way to have it. Must try it again and figure out my answer to this question!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #2

11 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

zucchini bread or challah dipped and rolled in cereal. I also love french toast casserole made from croissants. SOOOOOOO good. It’s a once a year treat because it has enough cals to get you through, like A MARATHON. Or a HIM.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..It Rubs the Pumpkin on Its Skin!!!

12 michelle September 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

Good luck this weekend!

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 22, 2011 at 10:26 am

I just tried it with frozen waffles for the first time and loved it. Although, I’ve not really been very adventurous in french toast land outside of that.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Thursday thoughts (from the bike)

14 Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 22, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’m in a cereal rut too…totally, lol! I’ve had it like a million mornings in a row. I love it heaps, but I need to break out πŸ˜› Mmm…I totally agree with you that cinnamon and raisin bread is the best thing to make french toast out of. It is so gorgeous – I love the sweetness! πŸ™‚ xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Yoga for Athletes DVD review –> awesome! πŸ™‚

15 Cait's Plate September 22, 2011 at 10:43 am

I JUST made english muffin french toast this past weekend with thick cinnamon raisin english muffins! It was SO good. And french toast is definitely fancy. I love that you can make it out of pretty much anything as well.

16 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio September 22, 2011 at 10:46 am

I totally agree … cinnamon raisin is the way to go!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Super Food!

17 Mary September 22, 2011 at 10:51 am

I agree about the cinnamon raisin bread. In my dip I include half a scoop of vanilla protein powder, egg, splash of almond milk and cinnamon. Makes a great french toast with a little extra protein. And if you’re feeling extra fancy you can spread a little peanut butter on, grill a banana, fold together with the peanut butter sides facing and you have stuffed french toast. Topped with strawberry maple topping (chopped strawberries heated with a little maple syrup until thick) and a sprinkle of coconut and you are practically gourmet. One of my favorite breakfasts!

18 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 22, 2011 at 10:56 am

I’ve actually never made french toast! It’s always intimidated me…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday!

19 Lindsey September 22, 2011 at 10:59 am

I like out of thick multi grain bread πŸ™‚ And add lots of cinnamon and vanilla to the egg mix!
Lindsey recently posted..Happy Anniversary

20 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 22, 2011 at 11:30 am

Good luck this weekend Meghann. Can’t wait to read all about it! πŸ™‚
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Running Playlist and Red Carpet Premier

21 Errign September 22, 2011 at 11:40 am

Ooooh good idea to use pita.

My favorite french toast ever has been when I made it with homemade semi-wheat bread and topped it with maple syrup from sap we collected in our backyard!
Errign recently posted..Random Happy Post!

22 Jackie @ That Deep Breath September 22, 2011 at 11:40 am

French toast out of pumpkin bread sounds amazing!! I’m going to try that!
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..Fit Talk: When Life Gets in The Way of Exercise

23 Krystina (Organically Me) September 22, 2011 at 11:51 am

CHALLAH BREAD! Or any kind of quick bread – I made persimmon bread last winter and used half of it to make French toast. Mmm!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Difficult Life Decisons

24 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 22, 2011 at 12:01 pm

challah bread french toast is decadently delicious!! soaked overnight in egg/milk mixture with a little cinnamon… holy yum.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..graduation day

25 Kim September 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’m sure you have received a million suggestions on where to eat while you are in Augusta but believe me you will die and go to heaven at this little hole in the wall place! thebollweevilcafe.com it is amazing!! Best sandwiches and soup and cakes the size of your face…you can see pics from our trip a couple heres ago herehttp://healthyandfun.wordpress.com/2010/03/21/so-long-georgia-hello-dessert-babies/

Simply amazing!!

26 Meghann September 22, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’ve had ZERO suggestions, so thanks for the tip!! I’m passing it along to my HIM crew now. πŸ™‚

27 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

mmmm I haven’t had French toast in awhile….I really love it with thick whole wheat bread. SO delish and filling πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Chicken Enchilada Recipe + Thankful Thursday

28 deva @ deva by definition September 22, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I love french toast made with Challah bread, the day after a shabbos dinner. It’s a little stale, a little sweet, and sops up the egg and milk like nothing else.
deva @ deva by definition recently posted..Just a bit Forgetful

29 melissa September 22, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I don’t like french toast, but that looks GORGEOUS!
melissa recently posted..Last and Hardest ACS Practice

30 Hope September 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I love french toast! I think the best is made with either cinnamon raisin bread or challah. So good πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk: Flowers…

31 Heather September 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Not a french toast fan, but give me a waffle any day!
Heather recently posted..Let’s Play Catch (Up)

32 Britt @ Run with Britt September 22, 2011 at 2:12 pm

French toast is my all time favorite breakfast! When I did my half marathon in Chicago, I ate french toast every morning, except for race day. πŸ™‚ It was awesome! I like to use huge pieces of Texas toast for mine, but cinnamon raisin bread does sound fantastic!
Britt @ Run with Britt recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday #3

33 Hillary September 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Cinnamon raisin challah bread. Heaven.
Hillary recently posted..Cake Baking Lessons

34 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

French toast sure is fancy. Have you ever tried it with brioche? To die for!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Slashing Grocery Bills from $100 –> $75 Weekly

35 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 22, 2011 at 4:43 pm

My favorite is with sourdough bread and without eggs (the Mama Pea way: http://harlequinblog.com/2011/07/fabulous-french-toast-from-peas-and-thank-you/!). Mmmm…sourdough bread!
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Food Adventures in China – Part 3

36 Calvin September 22, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I can’t run as far as you. Yet. But when I do, please know that this blog would have been a great source of inspiration for me.
Calvin recently posted..Troy Davis

37 Lara @TresLaLa September 22, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I’m with you – Cinnamon raisin french toast is awesome. But, I’m a huge fan of french bread french toast. I usually do it saying Oh, la la! a lot. Weirdo, right here…
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..What’s for Dinner?