Pockets are a necessity

by Meghann on September 20, 2011

Good Morning!

‘Twas a beautiful morning for a little bike ride. πŸ™‚

I headed to a nearby trail this morning to knock out some time on the bike. No goals. No pressure. Just some easy miles to remind my legs what they need to do come Sunday.

Final distance ended up being roughly 18.5 miles at a doable 15 mph-ish pace. I’m still debating if this will be my last official ride on my bike before Augusta or not. I want to hit up spin tomorrow and I have a run date on Thursday morning, so this may be it!

Of course, leave it to me to wait until the last week of training to finally invest in a real cycling jersey.

IMG_3286.jpg

Look! Pockets! I feel legit now.

I’ve been meaning to invest in one for a while, but it wasn’t until my 50 miler last weekend that it really hit me how badly I needed one. My fuel belt wasn’t cutting it on the bike anymore. Pockets are necessary to stash fuel and whatever random items I may need.

Last week I did a google search that led me to this Pearl Izumi top on Amazon. It was on sale for $18 and was cute, so I went for it. (Anyone else agree that cycling jersey tend to be a little crazy?)

Taking photos of pockets is hard.

I thought the jersey was really comfy and the pockets worked great for holding my cellphone and keys. I can’t wait to take advantage of the shirt on other long rides in my future.

And, yes, I promise there will be more long rides in the future!

Post-ride I made a deliciously random bowl of oatmeal.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup soy milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • Flaxseed
  • Chia Seeds
  • Cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt

On top:

• Ricotta
  • Defrosted frozen strawberries
  • Love Grown Granola
  • Honey peanut butter

Told you it was random.

I think next time I would add the ricotta directly to the oats for a sweet, creamy textures. Also, come chocolate chips would have gave this bowl a nice cannoli flavor. Yum.

Alright, time to get to work.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 20, 2011 at 10:15 am

I’ve been wearing my spi-belt on my longer bike rides and it’s getting annoying. I think a cycling jersey is in my near future too. Although, I just don’t feel “legit” enough for one! haha
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Salted chocolate sunflower seed butter dip

2 Meghann September 20, 2011 at 10:41 am

That’s what I thought at first too! But sometimes being legit doesn’t matter – being comfortable does πŸ™‚

3 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 20, 2011 at 10:16 am

LOL so true about cycling jerseys!
There are a lot of cyclists in my area and they all have really busy patterns or hug logos on their jerseys. They’re kinda hideous, to be honest.

I guess it makes them easier to see on the road, but still. There have to be better, more attractive options out there.

4 Meghann September 20, 2011 at 10:43 am

totally agree on that one! That’s one of the reasons why I’ve put off buying one and why I went with plain black. I’m not spending $100 to wear a jersey with a bunch of logos on it.

5 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 20, 2011 at 10:48 am

OMG, is that how much they cost?? That’s insane!
Someone should be paying me to wear all those logos.

6 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 20, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love it when running shorts/tights have a little pocket. Though, I also love it when skirts/dresses have them too. Few things aren’t improved with pockets.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Setting Britney Spears on Fire.

7 Victoria (District Chocoholic) September 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

I have the same jersey in teal. I also love it.

8 Meghann September 20, 2011 at 10:43 am

Yay! Good to know. πŸ™‚

9 Kara September 20, 2011 at 10:26 am

Heck, I’d like a shirt like that for running. This is why I love my hydration vest for long trail runs, lots of pockets for necessary things like spare socks and emergency TP. πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..If it feels easy, you’re probably doing it wrong

10 Steph @321delish September 20, 2011 at 10:28 am

I totally agree with you- bike jerseys are EXPENSIVE! I tend to head straight to the sale rack at bike shops to see if there’s anything there to buy! And, I’ve had some success on bonktown.com and chainlove.com πŸ™‚
Steph @321delish recently posted..{Guest Post} Triathlon Training by the Beach

11 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) September 20, 2011 at 10:37 am

Truly, pockets make anyyy outfit better, including workout wear!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Some Monday things

12 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 20, 2011 at 10:41 am

And a fine jersey it is!! Sounds like a great ride, and I’m so jealous of your gorgeous sunshine this morning!! Have a great day Meghann!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Reader’s Request: How to β€œget healthy”

13 Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it September 20, 2011 at 10:56 am

cute top!!! I really like it πŸ™‚
Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it recently posted..I’m back!!!

14 Corey @ Learning Patience September 20, 2011 at 11:11 am

Cute and super functional jersey…nice score!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Plants and Flowers and Bugs – Oh My

15 Hope September 20, 2011 at 11:17 am

I really like the shirt! Super cute! πŸ™‚ Your oats look yummy! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Simple Kind Of Night…

16 Cait's Plate September 20, 2011 at 11:20 am

LOVE strawberries and oats!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Hated Them All

17 Emily Casey September 20, 2011 at 11:25 am

Looks like good stuff. The best breakfasts look like disaster in a bowl. πŸ™‚ When I’m in a hurry, I go for Kashi cereal with soy milk and bananas. But now I’m tempted to try your recipe…

18 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 20, 2011 at 11:46 am

Cute jersey – $18 is an amazing price! Cycling gear tends to be crazy expensive, although I did make it 6 years before buying my first pair of cycling shorts over $50 (but they are SOOOO comfortable).

Good luck at the race this weekend – you’re going to have a blast! I have a lot of friends that do that race every year (it’s too late in the season for my motivation) and they always rave about it. You’ll fly down the river with the awesome current!
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Pre-Dawn Productivity

19 Meghann September 20, 2011 at 11:54 am

Thanks Heather! Everyone I’ve spoke with who has done Augusta has raved about it, so I’ll take it as a good sign. πŸ™‚

20 deva (voracious vorilee) September 20, 2011 at 11:51 am

That is a great looking jersey. I want something like that for running, haha. My Spi-Belt has to be worn in a very specific way or it bounces – a lot! I can keep my keys and inhaler in it, or just my phone, but not all of it.
deva (voracious vorilee) recently posted..Grocery Helper

21 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 20, 2011 at 11:55 am

i have just recently started experimenting with ricotta — love the texture it adds!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 20, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Yes, my husband is a mountain biker and he has some CA-raZY jerseys!

I love pockets too πŸ™‚

23 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Love the new cycling jersey! I can’t believe all your hard work is going to pay off so soon!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Fall coffees

24 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Pockets are the coolest! Sweet biking tank. My hubs has a couple riding shirts with the big ol pockets in the back.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Current Morning Addiction: Yogurt Multi-Grain Pancakes {A Meat Free Family}

25 Kimra September 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm

YAY POCKETS! I got an Athleta running tank with pockets earlier this year, and I love it. It’s the PR Tank, and it’s pricey but a few of the colors are on sale. A couple of their other new tanks also have pockets (the Intrepid and the Energy — I haven’t tried either yet) so I’m hoping that this is a trend! I love being able to keep my phone with me but not have to hold it and/or worry about it being so heavy in my shorts pocket that it pulls my pants down (… uh. not like that’s ever happened to me. no sir).
Kimra recently posted..Cheeses I Have Made

26 Kendra September 20, 2011 at 2:51 pm

hello fellow females!
Just wanted to share…for all of us with a pocket shortage there is a way…
who hasn’t stuck things in a sock, shoe, sleeve or bra when in a pinch? .. now we don’t have to…YAY! I got mad after accidentally dropping my spare tampon on the gym floor so developed & patented a new accessory to help us gals help ourselves. chk out http://www.portapocket.com and give yourself FREEDOM
Now we can lose the worry…not our stuff. πŸ™‚
xoxo
Kendra

27 TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching September 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm

that’s a good deal, pearl izumi is usually $$

28 Erin September 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm

“Also, come chocolate chips would have gave this bowl a nice cannoli flavor.”
–This could use some attention.

29 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 20, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I photographed a cycling event a few months ago and thought the pockets were so cool!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Tricky, tricky training

30 Stefanie September 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm

This is my cycling shirt: http://www.flickr.com/photos/green_seeds/6066960349/in/photostream

It is super cute and very girly and even has a little zip-up pocket. I love my cycling shirt!
Stefanie recently posted..Triathlon excitement and preparation.

31 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 20, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Haha that shirt makes you look very legit. And I’ve never heard of ricotta cheese in oats before! Discovering so many things through blogs…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Just a Little Bit Different

32 Caz September 20, 2011 at 11:03 pm

So I’m confused. You bought a Tri-suit to wear for the ironman. Now you’ve also bought a wetsuit and a cycling jersey… Isn’t the point of a tri-suit so you don’t have to change? Seems like overkill and you’re justifying purchases you’re not going to use.

33 Meghann September 20, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I’m not wearing the jersey for the triathlon – I just bought it to wear when I casually ride my bike. I’ll wear the wetsuit over the tri-suit for the swim, but will remove it as soon as I’m out of the water.

34 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm

My new healthy habit is to take fish oil supplements and a multivitamin every morning. I find it hard to stick to a vitamin regimen but I want to ensure I get all the support for my body’s cells that I can!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Guess What I Got??