Paint Your Pet

by Meghann on September 18, 2011

I came. I painted. I left with my very own custom Maddie portrait.

Pretty nifty, right? I love it!

Today was the ‘Paint Your Pet’ class at Painting with a Twist in South Tampa.

Painting With a Twist is an amazing instructor-led paint studio in South Tampa where they host daily paint classes that teach anybody (and I mean ANYBODYif I can do it, then you can too) how to paint a picture step-by-step.

Usually they start with one picture that the whole class learns, but today’s class was different. Since it was ‘paint your pet’ everything was very individualized and customized.

Including the actual picture we were painting.

Last week we were all asked to e-mail a photo of our pet for an artist to sketch out before the start of class. (Remember voting on a Maddie photo? ) I was all set to submit one photo of Maddie, when I changed my mind at the last minute and sent this little beauty.

When I arrived at the studio today, a perfect Maddie sketch was waiting for me.

That’s a pretty good representation of my little pup.

It was fun checking out everyone else’s sketches of their pets. I particularly loved the artist’s interpretation of my friend Val’s puggle, Kingston. Just look at that face! How could you not fall in love? Adorable.

Before we dug in, Val and I brought a little bubbly to get our creative juices flowing.

IMG_3252.jpg

The two of us polished off the bottle of champagne before the class was out. I’d say our creative juices were flowing just fine.

IMG_3256.JPG IMG_3257.JPG

Then it was time to paint!

Our first step was painting the background. I went with a pretty pink that matched Maddie’s girly personality.

Then we filled in the base color of fur, followed by the fine details of shadows, eyes, and the cute little nose.

It started to become real when I saw Maddie’s cute little face really start to shine through.

I could lie and say this was all me, but it wasn’t. The instructors were amazing and really guided us in painting the perfect pet photos. I could not have done this without them.

When all was said and done, I was ecstatic with the finished results. It really looks like Maddie!

All done!

Our class was full of cute pet photos and amazing artists. The best part was walking around at the end and see what everyone had accomplished.

Not bad for a bunch of amateurs. πŸ˜‰

Before the paint class I had some left over black bean and corn salad with blue corn chips and a dollop of plain yogurt for lunch.

And Val and I munched on pita chips while painting.

I was inspired by this month’s issue of Rachael Ray Magazine for dinner.

The issue had featured a Kale, White Bean, and Sausage Soup that caught my attention. Actually, it was just the photo that caught my attention – I didn’t read the recipe.

Instead, I picked up a bag of kale and a package of turkey Italian sausage from Publix and did my own thing. Starting with some sauteed red onion and carrot. To which I added the sausage. Then the kale. And finally the beans and vegetable broth.

With a whole grain roll for dipping.

I just realized this was my third soup creation in a week. I like soup. Obviously. πŸ˜‰

It’s been a lazy day and I’m ready for a lazy night.

Good Night!

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Woah! That is so awesome! You did a great job – there were some really good artists in your class!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..low motivation yields low productivity

2 Sweet and Savvy September 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm

How fun! Your painting looks awesome! πŸ™‚
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..What is Beauty?

3 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I love the painted Maddie– almost as cute as the real thing πŸ˜‰

I have GOT to find one of these paint-it-yourself places in my area– I’m sure it’s a total blast (espesh with a friend and a little bubbly!).
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Slacker.

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm

that sounds like such a fun class to take with a friend! And even more fun with mimosas!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Rainy Run and "Grown Up" Cooking

5 Kristin @ FoodFash September 18, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I’ve been teasing Val about where she should hang her Kingston portrait all week! You guys did such a good job!!!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Back To It

6 Corey @ Learning Patience September 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Those pictures came out great! How fun, good job girl! :-). Love the use of bubbles to increase the creativity…it works every time for me!
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Giving Thanks – Week 13

7 Matteson @Healthy High Schooler September 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm

That’s SO cool! I love the pink background. I’d like to try something like this but I’m not artistic at all though, so it seems a little challenging.

8 Army Amy* September 18, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Your painting turned out great! I lovr the pink background with Maddie’s fur coloring!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Indian with the In-laws

9 Deva @ Deva by Definition September 18, 2011 at 9:54 pm

That looks like a really great painting of Maddie, and a really fun class :-).
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..A Baseball Weekend

10 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm

You are so artistic! My dad is an artist yet I have inherited NO artistic skills from him… quite sad.

That soup looks awesome; I know it’s kale, but it reminds me of this broccoli rabe & white bean creation my Italian grandma makes.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..8 Miles + A Night of Unhealthy

11 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Haha Maddie looks great! I want to do this with Popcorn!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Rainbow Prone

12 River September 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm

wow some of those paintings are really good! Looks like fun πŸ™‚
River recently posted..Weekend in Food :: Mexican Quesadillas

13 Sana September 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Awww have you shown Maddie the painting?
Sana recently posted..Men Should Never Go Grocery Shopping

14 Katy (The Singing Runner) September 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I love the finished product! Great job Meghann! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..New Season!!!

15 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Maddie came out great! The last 2 pictures are pretty awesome too. Looks like a poodle and something (?) else…
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Baby Z

16 Jess@atasteofconfidence September 18, 2011 at 11:16 pm

So cute! good job.
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Where I’ve Been

17 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 18, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Your friend’s dog is SO cute! He looks like he’s smiling πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Chicago Marathon Training- Week 10

18 Elisabeth September 18, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Everybody’s paintings were awesome! That is such a fun painting class idea πŸ™‚

19 Heather September 19, 2011 at 12:05 am

How cute! I would love to paint a pic of my pup. That soup looks awesome too!
Heather recently posted..The Carrie Diaries and Summer and the City

20 Nikki September 19, 2011 at 12:12 am

That looks like SO much fun! Your painting of Maddie turned out great! I like that they had the outline sketched our for everyone before you got there πŸ™‚
Nikki recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Mini Donuts

21 Lauren @ Ultra Lauren September 19, 2011 at 12:18 am

That portrait is adorable!
Lauren @ Ultra Lauren recently posted..Piecemeal Run

22 Molly September 19, 2011 at 12:56 am

painting your pet looks like so much fun! in an art class back in high school I had to sketch then paint my pet and was really happy with how it turned out– but I would have much rather had an artist sketch my dog!
Molly recently posted..#WINNING! {winner winner faux chicken dinner}

23 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 19, 2011 at 1:43 am

That looks like so much fun! Your painting came out great! I have to find a place in Phoenix that offers something similar!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Skinnified Sunday: Pizookie

24 Khushboo September 19, 2011 at 2:54 am

Holy shiz those pics are amazing! What was Maddie’s reaction when she saw it??

25 Lara @TresLaLa September 19, 2011 at 3:12 am

That looks so amazing! I really want to do one of these here in LA!

26 erica September 19, 2011 at 3:23 am

looks awesome! i’d like to paint my pet! πŸ™‚
erica recently posted..wedding recap: ceremony

27 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery September 19, 2011 at 5:17 am

Awww, great job! I can barely draw a stick figure as it is, but it sounds like the instructors really made this is a “no fail” kind of environment.
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..Zucchini bigger than your arm – Let’s fry it!

28 Rachel September 19, 2011 at 5:37 am

What an awesome activity – you have such creative ideas!

29 Kelly September 19, 2011 at 5:55 am

I want one of Oliver and Sadie! πŸ™‚
Kelly recently posted..Half Ironman Training: Week 16

30 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 19, 2011 at 6:40 am

This looks like such a blast! I would love it if they offered something like this near me!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Banana cake

31 MizFit September 19, 2011 at 6:42 am

wow

thats seriously AMAZING.
Id love to paint my bullmastiff but Im pretty confident it would be, uh, a weetad of a mess πŸ™‚

32 Ali @ Ali Runs September 19, 2011 at 8:06 am

What a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon! You’re painting came out great!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Rochester Half Marathon Race Recap

33 Tania @ Health Macadamia September 19, 2011 at 8:21 am

I’d be the worst pet painter ever! Kudos to you for doing so well!

34 Hope September 19, 2011 at 8:26 am

Great job on the painting!! It looks beautiful! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Fall-Like Weekend…

35 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 19, 2011 at 9:05 am

OKAY coool! I love this idea πŸ™‚ And it looks great-nice job!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Self Pep Talk

36 Cait's Plate September 19, 2011 at 9:14 am

Wow – you painted that?!?! I’m SO impressed!!

37 Alaina September 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm

How adorable!! I would love to paint pictures of my parents cats for them. Although it would just be two grey, furry circles with eyes. Haha. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Speechless

38 Sophie September 22, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Aw those sketches are amazing! This class is such a cool idea!
Sophie recently posted..Life Wobbles & A Catch Up!