The Final Brick

by Meghann on September 16, 2011

This morning I pushed through my final brick before Augusta.

20 miles on the bike. 6 miles on foot.

Throw in a swim and I would have been THIS close to an olympic distance triathlon. πŸ˜‰

I wanted to get at least one brick in with a decent run before d-day. I had my bike at the trail before 6:30 and – with a belly full of Mix1 – completed the bike portion with the sunrise. The trail was quiet, peaceful, and the miles flew by in the early morning dew.

I got my bike back in my car as fast as possible and had a Fig Newton before heading out on the run. The sun was in full force at this point, but I managed to set mini goals of making it to water stations along the way. Those water stations are my favorite part of the trail. They’re perfectly spaced every mile or so and the water is always nice and cold.

It wasn’t a pretty run, but it was a run that needed to get done. 6 miles sure feels different after riding 20 miles, it’s going to be fun discovering what 13 miles feels like after riding 56. Yikes.

I was painfully hungry when I returned home and immediately started building a big bowl of cereal for breakfast.

• 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • Black Cherry Chobani
  • 1/2 Peach
  • Cinnamon

The addition of cinnamon really hit the spot.

Alright, time to get some work done. IT’S FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!

1 Chloe (In Fine Feather) September 16, 2011 at 10:46 am

Bricks are the hardest, but so worth it – glad you pounded it out! Happy Friday πŸ™‚ I’m so ready for the weekend!
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..A Good Day

2 Natalie @ will jog for food September 16, 2011 at 10:47 am

You will rock the HIM! You go girl πŸ™‚
Natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Hot Dog Extravaganza

3 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 16, 2011 at 10:49 am

Whoa! The race is a 56 mile ride and 13 mile run?? Holy cow that’s intense!

4 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 16, 2011 at 10:54 am

Your workouts are always so intense and so motivating!!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..The Daily Snapshot – My "Hugh Jass Salad"

5 Victoria September 16, 2011 at 11:00 am

Exciting to know that was the last brick! It’s almost race day!!!
Victoria recently posted..Miracle Miles 15k

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 16, 2011 at 11:05 am

After my 15 mile bike ride on Wednesday I got off and my legs felt super jellyish and I thought of you and the HIM coming up. I can’t imagine riding more than 3 times that and then running a 1/2! You rock πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Anniversary almond apple cake

7 skinnyrunner September 16, 2011 at 11:12 am

i cant believe the race is almost here. i feel like you just started training. so im a little behind…
skinnyrunner recently posted..Pool Time!!

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 16, 2011 at 11:18 am

I LOVE mixing different kinds of cereals! And the furthest I’ve ever run is 6.5 miles (training for a 10 miler in Nov!) so I can’t imagine biking 20 and THEN running those six! Good job!

9 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 16, 2011 at 11:20 am

Great job, Meghann. I continue to be super impressed with your training!

Enjoy your Friday! πŸ™‚
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Cheesy Pepperoni Bread

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 16, 2011 at 11:23 am

WAHOO it is Friday!!! You are so going to rock Augusta, girl! πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Abdominal Workouts

11 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 16, 2011 at 11:29 am

can’t believe the big day is SO close! you are absolutely prepared, though and are going to ROCK it!!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..winter workout gear {part 1}

12 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 16, 2011 at 11:31 am

Way to get your final brick workout in!! Although the run was tough I bet it felt good to push through it huh?
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Sweat Worthy Weekend Workout

13 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 16, 2011 at 11:41 am

you will rock it! that bowl of cereal is making me hungry at work πŸ™‚
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Sweet or Savory?

14 Cait's Plate September 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Thank GOODNESS it’s Friday!!!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Muffin Top Oats

15 Deva @ Deva by Definition September 16, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I love mixing all types of cereals, but I typically only have one on hand. LOVE the Greek yogurt, too πŸ™‚
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Forty-Five Degrees

16 caroline September 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Hi Meghann,
Question- do you measure your cereal out or just estimate 1/2 cup, etc? Just curious about what most ppl do. Thanks!

17 Meghann September 16, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I measure it out. More out of habit than anything else.

18 LauraJayne September 16, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I’m totally inspired by your workout(s) – great work! My legs are usually so dead after ANY biking that stairs are painful! I can’t imagine how I would even consider a mile run, let alone 6 miles!
LauraJayne recently posted..Classifieds

19 Corey @ Learning Patience September 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm

So close to the big race… Good Luck! That cereal looks YUM… πŸ™‚
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..The Recap

20 Sophie September 16, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Well done, Meghann! Roll on Augusta!
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Friday.

21 Hope September 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Great job! Breakfast looks yummy! I love Quaker Oat Squares. I used to eat them all the time when I was little. Happy Friday! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A New Discovery…

22 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’ve only biked then run once before and it was SO weird. The muscles used with biking are totally different than those used when running..so the first 0.5 mile was super awkward. Cool feeling though- haha!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Best with rest

23 Lara @ TresLaLa September 16, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Cycling / running bricks are so tough! I just can’t get myself to do one! Swim & bike? No prob. Swim & run? Sure! Bike & run? No, thanks!
Lara @ TresLaLa recently posted..The TresLaLa Abode

24 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Yay you’re almost there!! You are going to ROCK this HIM– the adrenaline will carry you through strong!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Slacker.

25 Ali @ Ali Runs September 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Way to push through the final brick! At least you know during the race you’ll have adrenaline pumping through to keep you going. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..My heart is so full of happy.

26 Army Amy* September 16, 2011 at 11:20 pm

The final brick! I know you haven’t had the race yet, but I’m super excited to read your race recap!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Inside Out

27 Emily September 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Big on the CHO lately! πŸ™‚ We so appreciate the shout-out. Let us know if we can ever get ya some on the house.

-E

28 Meghann September 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I’m always up for CHO on the house! I’m a tad bit obsessed with the lemon flavor πŸ˜‰