Iced Godiva Coffee

by Meghann on September 16, 2011

Seasonal Godiva Coffee? Ummmm….. yes please!

I received two packages of the Seasonal Godiva Coffee as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers program yesterday and couldn’t wait to dig in. Actually, Derek couldn’t wait to dig in. When he saw the package he looked up at me and asked “mine?” Yes, honey – all yours. πŸ™‚

He made a pot of the Carmel Pecan Bark flavor this morning before heading to work.

IMG_3163.jpg

He drank it hot and I poured it on ice with soy milk for a midmorning treat.

IMG_3164.jpg

I loved the way the aroma of the fresh coffee filled the entire apartment. I’m not a regular coffee drinker and Derek always has his coffee at work, so we rarely make it in the house. This morning was a nice, welcomed treat.

The flavor was very rich and dark on it’s own, but the vanilla soy milk took the edge off and sweetened it up a bit while complementing the carmel flavoring. This was my first time turning a flavored coffee into an iced coffee and – strange – but I almost think I’d prefer plain iced coffee. And is it just me or is iced coffee made at home not as good as the stuff at little coffee shops? Or maybe i just need to find the right brand?

Derek wasn’t a huge fan of the coffee, but I think that has more to do with the fact that we were out of regular milk and he had to use the soy milk in his. I agree with him – there is a difference with soy milk and regular milk in coffee. I just happen to prefer soy milk and he does not.

The pumpkin spice flavor is being put away until Thanksgiving. It looks like Thanksgiving, it smells like Thanksgiving, and I think it will be the perfect Thanksgiving morning treat come turkey day. πŸ™‚

Last night’s left over Mexican Chili made the perfect lunch today.

I layered cornbread, spinach, and cheese then poured the chili on top. It was like a hot open faced chili sandwich of sorts.

I was also quite tasty. πŸ™‚

Any big weekend plans?

I just have two words for this weekend GO NOLES πŸ˜‰

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 16, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Generally, iced coffee made at home has to be WAY stronger for me to drink it (i.e. I couldn’t just pour hot coffee over iced) but with the Keurig, it’s pretty good! I do agree though, when you order out it always is a bit more special πŸ™‚
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Running for a cause.

2 Ashley September 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm

VegFest in Portland! It’s a huge conference here with speakers and cooking demos. Can’t wait!

3 Lindsey September 16, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Yum! I want some of that coffee but I am find some flavored coffees to have a bad artificial taste to them – only some though.
It is my one year anniversary, so we have a few fun things planned πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday!

4 Meghann September 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Happy Anniversary!

5 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Meghann– you HAVE to try cold-brewing your own iced coffee. Seriously, it ends up tasting BETTER than stuff outside the house. Not using boiling hot water (which releases more acidity from the beans, or some such scientific reaction), really mellows out the flavor and takes the edge off on it’s own.

There are lots of recipes on the internet (I have one I linked on my blog too), and the process is a little time-consuming, but one batch lasts about 2-2.5 weeks for me. And you can’t beat the convenience and the money saved!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Slacker.

6 Lauren September 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I agree! You’ve GOT to try cold brewing!
This is the way I learned. I also drink alot of iced coffee in the hot Texas summers, so I bought a Toddy Cold Brew maker. Changed my life!! Its so much better cold brewed!
Lauren recently posted..running buddies rock

7 Ashley VanHorn (@AspiringAsh) September 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Love iced coffee. I really cannot get enough. I should probably go make some right now. Lata!
Ashley VanHorn (@AspiringAsh) recently posted..My Dirty Secret?

8 Britt @ Run with Britt September 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Wow, that mexican chili looks delicious.
I’m a huge fan of scalding hot coffee, for some weird reason I just don’t like iced coffee. They can never get it hot enough at the coffee shops haha. πŸ™‚ I agree though, coffee always tastes better whenever someone else makes it.

9 Carly September 16, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Also, while less fancy than cold brewing, you can also freeze coffee into “coffee ice cubes”, and then add them to hot coffee. My wife does that in the summers and she says that way as the ice melts it releases more coffee flavor, rather than watering it down.

10 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm

THis is the most amazing idea ever!!!!! Thanks for this!!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Running for a cause.

11 Carly September 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Absolutely. Just get a separate ice cube tray unless you enjoy having coffee flavored ice for a while.

The trick too is to use the dregs of the pot that normally get tossed, so you never waste coffee AND you always have a few frozen cubes around.
Carly recently posted..PlayStation 3 Game Review: El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

12 RafaelQ September 16, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I haven’t had iced coffee in a long time but me and Nadja are huge coffee fans, we just drink it hot, Puertorrican style (con leche) πŸ™‚ How is Godiva’s Pumpking Spice?
Sounds like a great pre-workout energy drink idea for tomorrow =D

13 Corey @ Learning Patience September 16, 2011 at 3:21 pm

That Mexican Chili looks good… Weekend Plans include some new recipe making, a pr setting hill run (hopefully) and some snuggle time with my husband!

Enjoy your weekend! xoxo from Trinidad

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Ah that chili looks so delicious! I’m going to my first ever Cubs game tomorrow! Pretty pumped about it!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Questions for YOU!

15 Hope September 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I got sent those coffees too! I tried the pumpkin one and I thought it was really good! I definitely want to try it iced! πŸ™‚

I don’t really have any plans for this weekend except to catch up on some sleep and watch some shows I taped on the dvr.
Hope recently posted..A New Discovery…

16 Becki September 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I work for one of those coffee shops that makes great Iced Coffee – and the trick is to brew your coffee double strength.
Add twice the amount of coffee that you usually would, once it’s done brewing, add equal amounts of ice to the container to cool the coffee down – it will also melt most of the ice and add more volume.
It takes WAY better, because when you pour regular coffee over ice, it starts to water it down when the ice melts, and the result is very weak Iced Coffee!

17 gia September 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I like this tip, seems easier than the rest. πŸ™‚ Maybe I will do that on Sat morning, and keep it in the fridge for my afternoon session of studying!

18 gia September 16, 2011 at 6:02 pm

p.s. Maple syrup is amazing in iced coffee!

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’ve never been able to replicate iced coffee like you get in a coffee shop at home. It comes out watery and gross every time.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Anniversary almond apple cake

20 Kate September 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’ll agree with everyone who’s said to cold brew your iced coffee. I resisted it for a long, long time and then felt like an idiot when I tried it and it was amazing.

I’ll be spending the rest of the weekend tailgating with college friends and sorority sisters in Tallahassee. Boomer Sooner!
Kate recently posted..Ladies

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I have big weekend plans to teach a BodyPUMP class (love this part of the weekend!), a hot date with the husband, and relaxing! WHeeee πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Abdominal Workouts

22 Emily@SavoryandSavage September 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm

No exciting plans for me – I am in full prep mode for an upcoming trip!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Travel plans- Boston and NY

23 Deva @ Deva by Definition September 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I love iced coffee with soymilk and vanilla syrup. It’s so refreshing. And so easy to drink in 2 minutes or less.
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Forty-Five Degrees

24 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm

The caramel coffee looks heavenly, it sounds like something I WOULD LOVE!! (but my husband wouldnt because I am sure it is sweet!)
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..The Daily Snapshot – My "Hugh Jass Salad"

25 Rachel September 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I’ve never tried cold brewing (I want to!) but I wanted to chime in and agree with everyone who said to brew your coffee extra strong if you’re gonna have it iced! If I brewed a pot to have it hot like Derek did, and then changed my mind and poured it over ice – well, I’d probably start over!
Rachel recently posted..The Future is Now

26 Coco September 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I love coffee- I drink it at least twice a day- it’s a bit of a problem! I do like flavored iced coffee if it’s brewed flavor- I hate the syrup stuff! It sad that this was a disappointment- because it seems like it would be super yummy!
Coco recently posted..The weekend

27 Rachael September 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I’m sure most of the coffee shops use a cold brew. I use the Toddy system at home. I can’t even drink hot brewed coffee anymore because the cold brew way is soooo much better. Hot or cold in my opinion. It’s so much smoother. The best part is you always have concentrate in your fridge πŸ™‚

28 Ali @ Ali Runs September 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I have never made an iced coffee that I enjoy at my house, but I love it at Dunkin Donuts. It’s the weirdest thing, I just can never get it right.

My big plans this weekend include running my 4th half marathon! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..My heart is so full of happy.

29 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm

artificially flavored coffee is always too sweet for me. and usually tastes a little bit fake. i’ve never had the godiva, but the smell sounds fantastic!

i made a meghann-inspired “throw everything in a bowl” lunch today!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..lazy girl veggie-ful lunch

30 Cait's Plate September 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Ooooh having that as iced coffee (especially with soymilk) is a brilliant idea.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Tuna Craving

31 Sana September 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I am going to stay warm and study this weekend! Enjoy yours!
Sana recently posted..I am a Scientist

32 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs September 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm

F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-T-A-T-E Florida State, Florida State, Florida State. Woo!
πŸ™‚

Have a great weekend!

33 Hillary September 16, 2011 at 5:32 pm

That coffee looks fabulous, and you’re right—iced coffee at home is always different than at the shop. It’s all in how strong you make it!

I’m planning on baking my first cake from scratch this weekend! I can’t believe I never have, and it’s a friend’s birthday—perfect excuse!
Hillary recently posted..Pie in a Bowl

34 Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm

weekend plans?

KAUAI!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Comment on Welcome! by CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/

35 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 16, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Ahhhh I love the smell of flavored coffee brewing. Unfortunately, I usually prefer nonflavored coffee when I’m actually drinking it. But you can’t beat the smell!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Shine Neighborhood Kitchen

36 Brandy September 16, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I got a one cup french press and cold brew my coffee now. SO much better!

37 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 16, 2011 at 7:47 pm

My morning post tomorrow is about that coffee! I loved the caramel bark – it had great flavor!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..baby fever

38 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) September 16, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I love almond milk in my coffee but let’s get real….cream is the best. πŸ™‚
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..143.8…Muffaletta Love

39 Meghan September 16, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I need to find that caramel pecan bark coffee!!
Meghan recently posted..Surprising Run

40 BroccoliHut September 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Mmm! Gimme that coffee! To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever had Caramel Pecan Bark, but it sounds amazing in coffee form:)
BroccoliHut recently posted..The Virtual Grocery Store

41 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 16, 2011 at 9:12 pm

One of the things about iced coffee is that you have to make it stronger since you’ll be diluting it with the ice. I worked at Starbucks for over 5 years and we double brewed the coffee (twice as much coffee to water ratio). When I make it home though I just add an extra scoop of coffee grounds.

Flavored coffee is also very different since the beans have to be injected with the flavors and I have never been a fan. I prefer my coffee plain with warm soy milk and no sugar but if I am going to have a “flavor” in my coffee, it has to be added in after making it (not brewed in the bean).

…okay, I’m getting off my soapbox now. πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

42 Carrie@shrinkingcarrie September 16, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Everything tastes better when someone else makes it! I think its a mental thing, but if I don’t have to cook it then its yummy. Also, I love the smell of coffee!
Carrie@shrinkingcarrie recently posted..Few Things Friday

43 Lara @TresLaLa September 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Sprint triathlon this weekend on Sunday! So excited! Although swim practice was cancelled this afternoon. (boo) My parents arrive tonight (from Wisconsin), head to Malibu tomorrow afternoon for packet pick-up, then it’s a 4:15 AM wake-up on Sunday! I’m podium bound!
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..The TresLaLa Abode

44 Christine @ BookishlyB September 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I need a coffee maker. Stat.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- Two for the Price of One

45 Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes September 16, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Ooooohh those flavored coffees look delectable. Tomorrow I’m going to the Ybor City Farmers Market to look for some fresh produce. Have a great weekend!
Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes recently posted..The β€œJacob” Berry

46 Sophie September 17, 2011 at 2:49 am

Mmmmm, that chilli looks great! I have to work all weekend πŸ™ But am taking a break for lunch with my Mum tomorrow so not all bad πŸ™‚ Have a good one, Meghann!
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Friday.

47 Nicole September 19, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Iced coffee is amazing!!
The chili looked scrumptious too!
Nicole recently posted..For the Love of SparkPeople