more ยป" />

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat

by Meghann on September 14, 2011

Whoa! Who knew separate bathrooms was a common thing with relationships? Good to know Derek and I aren’t alone out there. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Check out what I discovered at Publix this afternoon.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat!! Did you know this existed? I didn’t!

I tried one with dinner tonight.

IMG_3058.jpg

It had a sweet, wheat-y flavory and the pumpkin flavor was very subtle with the slightest hint of cinnamon and cinnamon, but – honestly? – it was a little weak. The flavor could have been a little deeper and richer. Also, I still had the urge to add an orange to it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I don’t know where it came from, but I had the strangest urge to have chicken and apple for dinner. I wasn’t quite sure how to execute those two elements together, so I turned to google for inspiration. I found this recipe for Chicken and Apple Skillet and got to work.

I stuck to the recipe as is and wasn’t impressed with it. Granted I could have sliced the apples thinner, let the sauce thicken up more, etc, but there was something else missing. Maybe cinnamon? cheese? cream?

I was more impressed with the mashed sweet potatoes

and steam-in-a-bag brussels sprouts (sort of obsessed with how easy and tasty these are)

At least Derek was impressed. I heard him scraping the bowls clean when he went back for seconds. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We broke out the chocolate chip mint ice cream for desert.

Earlier this afternoon I snacked on some trail mix

I stumbled upon a happy surprise on tv tonight:

America’s Next Top Model All Stars

(source)

All the girls I love to hate are back!

Confession: I’ve watched every single season of America’s Next Top Model. It’s my favorite trashy tv guilty pleasure that I look forward to every season. It’s mindless entertaining that doesn’t get old. Love it!

Who are you rooting for in the All Stars? I was always a big fan of Allison (LOVE her big beautiful eyes), but she doesn’t seem to have the same drive as she had in the past. Sad.

1 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 14, 2011 at 9:56 pm

One of my favorite dishes is too slice up apple chicken sausage and saute with diced onions and granny smith apples with a little brown sugar. Then I serve it over brown rice. It’s simple and yummy and tastes like fall!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..La Bella Luna

2 Raffi Darrow September 14, 2011 at 10:10 pm

so there was that one girl on ANTM who had a bunch of siblings and lived on a farm and had blonde hair to her butt. I think she was in organic living magazine with her sisters talking about their best ever pie crust recipe! I have the recipe and can look up her name if you know who I’m talking about…
Raffi Darrow recently posted..Ask the Experts: Getting Slower

3 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs September 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Laura Kirkpatrick?
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Healthy Habits

4 Meghann September 15, 2011 at 7:48 am

Is it the country bumpkin girl? She’s on the all star series!

5 Raffi Darrow September 15, 2011 at 10:07 am

The recipe shows the “Holm” family with 7 daughters.

6 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) September 14, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Mmmm, I want to try that beer! I looooooooooove pumpkin beer! Thank goodness it’s finally appropriate to bust out my pumpkin obsession to the world again. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Rewind

7 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs September 14, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Oh, Bre and Kayla are SO beautiful, I love them. Lisa is a hoot! Brittany and Allison I also love. The others are either ‘meh’ or BLECH! I wish they’d bring back Jade, she was freaking hilarious!!!

8 Meghann September 15, 2011 at 7:49 am

I forgot about Jade! I was surprised they brought Lisa back, I guess she was a fan favorite because she was so crazy, but I remember them talking about how old she looked in her original season and..umm… she hasn’t gotten any younger.

9 Sherri September 14, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I just saw this beer at the market tonight and wondered.. glad you were ahead of me to review! And, separate bathrooms become even more important as time goes on – start claiming your stake now. Claim it, keep it. 20+ yrs later, you’ll still be glad you did.

10 Ali @ Ali Runs September 14, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I love Shock Top beer! I need to invest in some seasonal pumpkin beer asap. I still get sucked into ANTM marathons on tv, but I haven’t watched a “new” season week by week, ever.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Fartlek

11 Kim September 14, 2011 at 10:24 pm

That is so dangerous that you told me about the new ANTM All-Stars. Now I HAVE to watch it. Darn it.

PS I don’t know why but I really love Lisa. She made some really ridiculous music videos.

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 14, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I’ve never seen that show–maybe I should check it out? But I don’t loovvee TV, or trashy tv. Oh well!

Your dinner idea does sound good-sorry it didn’t take off! Sweet potatoes are thebombdotcom, though!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 14, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I’ve made a pork dish with apples + leeks that would be great with chicken too. Just saute the apples + leeks + herbs together and use it to “stuff” the chicken (or just serve alongside like I do since I’m too lazy to butterfly and stuff the chicken ;))
I’m trying to finish the beer we have leftover in the fridge as quickly as possible so I can go grab some pumpkin ones, can’t wait!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin, pumpkin everywhere!

14 Ashley September 14, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Gosh, I remember the days when America’s Next Top Model marathons used to be on all the time, and somehow they just suck you in. And before you know it, you’ve watched 8 seasons!
Ashley recently posted..My Battle with Crohn’s Disease

15 Paula September 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Not impressed with the Shocktop Pumpkin. I mean, it was ok, but weak just
about covers it…not very pumpkiny at all.

16 Nikki September 14, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I tried pumpkin ale for the first time last year… loved the first couple of sips, but then it just tasted like an off beer… I wonder if it was just a bad brand?!
Nikki recently posted..Oatmeal Flax Chocolate Chip Cookies

17 Morgan September 14, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Oh, goodness Shock Top is one of my favorite beers. I’ve haven’t tried the pumpkin wheat yet. I bet you’d really like Julius Echter, have you ever heard of it?

-Morgan
Morgan recently posted..My First Post!

18 Meghann September 15, 2011 at 7:51 am

I haven’t. Is that a beer brand?

19 Morgan September 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Yeah it’s my favorite hefeweizen. They squeeze lemons in it when they pour it in a glass for you. Its delicious. If you see it somewhere you should try it! They’ve got an amber one too.
Morgan recently posted..Conquering Eggless Brownies for My Sanity

20 Sana September 14, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Your sweet and savory combos! You need your own cookbook!
Sana recently posted..Eggs,eggs,eggs

21 Cait's Plate September 14, 2011 at 11:17 pm

YES! All the girls I hate are back too!! What the heck!! I like Laura and Allison but that’s about it…

PS – So jealous of all your pumpkin ales!

22 Angie September 15, 2011 at 12:29 am

I’ve always liked Shannon and Allison too. ANTM is the show that I’ve never admitted to anyone that I watch. It’s ridiculous!

23 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 15, 2011 at 12:38 am

ALL STARS?!?!?! I’m so excited! I have watched every season too–some of them more than once (those marathons always get me!) Okay, now that I’ve sufficiently embarrassed myself haha….Allison was a favorite of mine too. I can’t wait to start watching!!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Pumpkin Smoothie

24 Christine @ BookishlyB September 15, 2011 at 1:08 am

I’ve got to “get into” beer- I feel like I’m missing out on all the cool flavors and seasonal varieties. That and wine… Practice, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- Two for the Price of One

25 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 15, 2011 at 1:08 am

Yum to the beer- I haven’t been able to find a pumpkin beer yet to save my life in Cali. The season doesn’t start here til late october!

I used to be realllllly into ANTM, but I kinda fell off the bandwagon. Tyra got a little too cray-cray for my tastes haha.
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..(net)Work It!

26 Amy September 15, 2011 at 1:35 am

Hah I stumbled upon that too as I was flicking the stations! I actually like Lisa a lot even though she can be totally obnoxious!
Amy recently posted..Self-improvement โ€“ Part 1: Negativity

27 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 15, 2011 at 6:53 am

I love Allison’s big eyes too! She’s always had such a different look to her
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Messier the Better

28 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 15, 2011 at 7:14 am

Chicken or turkey with apples is one of my favorite combos. For me a spicy mustard and a sharp cheddar are “must haves”. ๐Ÿ™‚
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..The Little Things

29 Hillary September 15, 2011 at 7:21 am

Why are sweet potatoes SO freaking GOOD? Yours look fabulous.
Hillary recently posted..Pie in a Bowl

30 Hope September 15, 2011 at 8:35 am

I am a fan of Shock Top! I had no clue that they had a Pumpkin flavor! I’m going to have to look for this! Those mashed sweet potatoes look amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope recently posted..The Best Vegetable Quesadilla I Ever Hadโ€ฆ

31 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 15, 2011 at 8:48 am

Pumpkin Wheat Beer? Score!

I wonder if I could find it at the LCBO here in Ontario. Hmm….

32 Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! September 15, 2011 at 9:33 am

OMGGGG I knew that they were doing an All-Stars season but didn’t know who was competing yet. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! recently posted..Whole Paycheck

33 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 15, 2011 at 9:40 am

I actually picked up that beer this week and we tried one (shared it, since it’s a weekday, wheeee) while watching Dexter last night. We liked it! ๐Ÿ™‚
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

34 Clare @ Fitting It All In September 15, 2011 at 9:41 am

I did NOT know that existed! I’m always wanting to try new pumpkin beers to see if any will stand up to my beloved Schlafly. Gonna get that next!

35 Amanda September 15, 2011 at 10:47 am

Girl, this is INSANE! I got back from my run wiped off my sweat and headed to the grocery store to get some odds and ends. I saw this SAME BEER and since Fall has just turned here in Illinois I def BOUGHT IT! Then to come home be eating my dinner and see it the FIRST THING on your blog — I DIED!!!! I didn’t have time to comment last night, BUT I can’t wait to drink a couple tonight!

36 Meghann September 15, 2011 at 11:09 am

haha It’s a hot item! ๐Ÿ™‚

37 Susan September 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

Ahh! I DRV-ed it last night so I could watch it commercial free today ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve watched every single season too. It’s my biggest guilty pleasure. I was so excited to hear it was an all-stars season! I actually really liked Alexandria, crazy and entertaining.
Susan recently posted..A Veiny Situation

38 Meghann September 15, 2011 at 11:10 am

I liked her too! I think the crowd reacted the most to her because her season JUST ended, so she’s the ‘bitch’ that’s freshest in everyone’s memories.

39 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 15, 2011 at 11:51 am

Pumpkin Shock Top?! Shock Top is one of my favorites and sometimes Pumpkin beers are too much for me, so maybe this would be the perfect combination for me?! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day

40 Casey September 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Stumbled upon your blog a while back and love it ๐Ÿ™‚ I am a HUGE fan of pumpkin ales, but have not tried this one….if it’s weak, I probably won’t so thank you for saving me that purchase ๐Ÿ™‚ My favorite is Pumpkinhead by Shipyard Brewing Company….if you’re ever in Total Wine, give it a try! I normally buy a case a year and then try to ration it until the next fall haha

41 Meghann September 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I’ve been meaning to pick up a six pack of that! Good to know it’s at Total Wine ๐Ÿ™‚

42 Sophie September 15, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Mmmmm, I LOVE mashed sweet potato – totally craving that now!
Sophie recently posted..Back On The Bandwagon.

43 Kelsey September 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I was just talking to my friend about pumpkin beer yesterday! I love the Sam Adams one.
Kelsey recently posted..Different social network, different content

44 MorgzSyd September 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I am obssesed with antm too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO GOOD!
MorgzSyd recently posted..Michelle Hodkin