You don’t like tofu?!

by Meghann on September 13, 2011

Derek will eat pretty much anything I put in front of him.

Random vegetable I’ve found at Publix, but have no idea what it is? He’ll eat it.

A dinner of grits and snap peas? He’ll eat it.

Bowls of randomness? He’ll eat it and go back for seconds

However, there’s one thing he refuses to eat plain – tofu. He doesn’t even want to try it. Hmph.

This means – since I’ve moved in – there has been less tofu in my life. I hate making meals that Derek won’t eat and you can only take so much ‘ewww… why are you eating that?’ before you give up and stop trying.

A couple of weeks ago I saw tofu at the store and decided to bring the forbidden soy product home. I had missed having tofu in my life and wanted to bring it back in. But, then the tofu sat there. For two weeks.

On Sunday, I finally had it in me to do something with it and made baked tofu with yucca and brussels sprouts.

(Derek had a bowl of yucca and brussels sprouts for dinner covered in siracha and BBQ sauce and was happy).

Usually I send dinner leftovers to work with Derek (when he remembers to take them), but the tofu wasn’t going to cut it for him. Nope, the tofu was all mine and I was a-ok with that. Because you know what leftover can be turned into, right?

Tofu salad.

Well, my version of tofu salad. Which is really:

• cold baked tofu
  • olives
  • pickles
  • hummus
  • spicy mustard
  • cumin
  • spinach

On an open-faced english muffin.

Derek is missing out. Obviously. πŸ˜‰

Carrot sticks

An ample supply of leftover tofu is most definitely a good thing.

Sometimes I think it’s a good thing when the significant other doesn’t like something (because that means more for me!), but other times it’s a bad thing (because that also means more for me).

Pumpkin season is going to be tough around here – have I told you Derek doesn’t like pumpkin?!?! He was so sweet and brought the Dogfish Punkin Ale home for me yesterday, but won’t drink any of it because he doesn’t like anything that claims it tastes like pumpkin. (this is where it’s a good thing – more Punkin ale for me!)

It’s going to be rough when I start getting in a pumpkin frenzy with pumpkin waffles, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin ice cream….oh, lord – I LOVE pumpkin! What I need to do is find a friend who loves pumpkin as much as I do and share the pumpkin carb-o fest with me. Anyone out there want dibs?!

Well, either that or Derek’s office is in for a plethora of treats this fall!

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm

More pumpkin for you!!! I anticipate demolishing several cans of it this fall and I can’t wait!!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Tuesday Questions

2 Lara @ TresLaLa September 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I just made pumpkin cupcakes… Luckily the hubby loved them – so much that he had 1 for breakfast dessert, 1 for lunch dessert, and another for dinner dessert. I sent the rest into work with him today – because no one needs that many cupcakes! (Well, I wish I could, but my waistline doesn’t agree…) I imagine that you’ll have plenty of “takers” for your pumpkin goodies…
Lara @ TresLaLa recently posted..Super Yum Sauce

3 Sarah September 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Ugh. I really don’t like pumpkin. In fact, right after I turned 21 I got hellaciously drunk off those Dogfishhead Punkin Ales because I didn’t realize what a high ABV they have. The thought of drinking one still makes me sick.

Tofu looks good though.

4 Nadine @ Multi-tasker Runner September 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I love pumpkin, actually I have a slight pumpkin obsession and guess what… I am moving to tampa!!! How awesome is that!
Nadine @ Multi-tasker Runner recently posted..Motivation

5 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Does this mean you got a job?!! πŸ™‚

6 Nadine @ Multi-tasker Runner September 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Yes ma’am it does!!! So I will happy to help you eat all that pumpkin πŸ™‚ Speaking of which, have you tried pumpkinhead ale? So yummy!
Nadine @ Multi-tasker Runner recently posted..Motivation

7 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Which one? Shipyard?

8 Nadine @ Multi-tasker Runner September 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Yup, had it last weekend…much better than the blue moon pumpkin ale.
Nadine @ Multi-tasker Runner recently posted..Motivation

9 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete September 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I will come drink pumpkin beer with you any time!!!
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Hope for Healthy Ashley

10 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm

wowww it’s still such a blessing that he eats mostly everything! haha. My fiance isn’t crazy about tofu, but I love it b/c I grew up eating it!! It’s staple in Korean cuisine. and he doesn’t like pumpkin?! Blasphemy πŸ˜› just kidding.
Ellie@fitforthesoul recently posted..Venue Hunt #4 and Many Thanks

11 Hope September 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I love pumpkin flavored foods! I will join you in pumpkin fest! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Repeat Offender…

12 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm

My husband is a MEAT eater. However, he’s also Chinese, so loves tofu. Loves it.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..I Felt Tongue.

13 TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching September 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm

my guy doesn’t like tofu either. I understand though… I mean I like it, but I suppose it’s something you have to get used to
TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching recently posted..Escape with a Big Fish

14 Cait's Plate September 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I FINALLY made my boyfriend try baked tofu – I lured him in with the promise of BBQ sauce on top but he was surprisingly willing to try it plain and he actually liked it okay! Tell Derek he won’t regret just trying it πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Distracted by the Apples

15 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Ugh, the worst thing is when your cohabitating beau won’t enjoy all the yummy treats you make!! Mine isn’t a fan of basically anything from nature (read: veggies and fruits) so it’s a rather sad state of affairs when I have to make a separate, veggie free side for him. Thank goodness for powdered mashed potato flakes! (not really, they’re gross, but by golly if the man doesn’t eat the heck out of those things!)
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Live Tweeting: 30 Day Shred – Level 1

16 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I’m glad that my family doesn’t really like pumpkin because I don’t have to share it πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Refried Beans!

17 Emily@SavoryandSavage September 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Yeah the tofu barrier is a tough one to crack…
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Spicy peanut noodles

18 Allison September 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I will totally share pumpkin goodies with you! As long as we keep riding so we can work them all off!

19 Ashley September 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm

My husband’s still kind of iffy on the tofu thing. He’ll eat it, but it’s definitely not his favorite meal (I think he’s just too lazy to make himself something else). Oh boys will be boys!
Ashley recently posted..Going Back to What Works

20 Hillary September 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I will happily move to Tampa and share every. single. one. of those treats with you!
Hillary recently posted..Comforted

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm

MORE more pumpkin for you!! Luckily my husband likes it too….but doesn’t LOVE it like I do. SO yahooo for this season.

If I lived nearer to you, I’d go in on the pumpkin fest too!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Squats

22 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I can understand if he doesn’t like tofu. But why, pumpkin?!? Shocker πŸ˜€
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..In remembrance

23 Nadine September 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm

There are only so many foods that my husband and I both REALLY like–but we’ve promised that when the other is eating a food we don’t like, we give it a try. For him that’s usually spinach/eggplant/other vegetables. For me, I continue to try sardines (fresh)! And I could be very into splitting the pumpkin that comes out of your kitchen πŸ˜‰ I’m just in Citrus Park–next time you head to Ballyhoo, we’ll do a Pumpkin Treats Trade!

24 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm

haha – sounds like a good deal to me.

25 Lindsey September 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm

More pumpkin for you is a good thing though!
Lindsey recently posted..I Love Birthdays

26 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm

more pumpkin for me is a good thing! however eating all those treats may not be as good of a thing for my waistline πŸ˜‰

27 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I feel you Meghann! My BF doesn’t like pumpkin (I LOVE it) or tofu–and he won’t eat cooked vegetables (which includes any and all forms of potatoes, brocoli, onions, peppers, etc)…so I have a hard time feeding him. He pretty much eats meat and salad for every meal. But it’s not very fun to cook the side dishes for just me! Sigh.
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Ben and Jerry’s and Back to Boston

28 Whitney September 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Um. Love tofu and LOVE pumpkin. I own a chocolate shop (www.facebook.com/kilwinswilliamsburg). We have the BEST pumpkin ice cream. A little bit of spice. Tastes just like pumpkin pie.Also this week we are starting pumpkin fudge(my enemy!). Seriously-will ship ice cream for any other pumpkin treats!!

29 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I <3 pumpkin ice cream! I'm actually planning a special trip to Orlando when Jeremiah's (a local italian ice place) starts serving Pumpkin Ice again this month!! πŸ™‚

30 mary September 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Too bad he doesn’t like pumpkin! that’s one of my favorite things about fall! πŸ™‚

I’d be glad to partake with you, except… i’m about 600 miles north of you!
mary recently posted..Congratulations Caroline and John!

31 Jen September 13, 2011 at 3:48 pm

My husband doesn’t like pumpkin or nut butters. It means more for me but then I feel guilty when I make something he doesn’t like. Yet, he’ll eat or drink anything way past it’s expiration date. Gag. WHY do boys have to be so weird?

32 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots September 13, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I don’t eat tofu (I try to avoid estrogenic foods thanks to my family history of breast cancer) but my husband and I both are pretty adventurous eaters! He’ll eat just abut anything I give ’em. πŸ™‚
Cassie @ Back to Her Roots recently posted..cheap dinners recipe round-up

33 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm

My boyfriend is extremely picky and doesn’t like to try new things, which can make culinary endeavors a little discouraging. I try to make him try something new every two weeks and ease him into things!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Knightly

34 Shelley@MileHighHealthy September 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm

My husband and I have very differing eating styles. He is a meat and potatoes all the way and I am vegan and like to experiment in raw. So i get the “what is that/ew what are you eating” comment a lot! It is nice to never have to worry about someone eating the last of my milk/treats/etc though!!!

35 Beth September 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Alyssa (@ fashionfitnessfoodie.wordpress.com) made baked stuffed shells with tofu instead of ricotta. Her b/f loved it (even though he never liked tofu to start) so maybe you can try gradually?

36 Ashley September 13, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Yes. I will share pumpkin with you all day, every day, until I turn orange. Or turn into a pumpkin entirely! I really just can’t get enough. Did you see Brittany’s recipe for pumpkin butter on EBF? I think I’m down for the pumpkin-y count now.
Ashley recently posted..little things

37 Corey @ Learning Patience September 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I’m with him…I don’t like Tofu either….

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Rainy Day Winner and No H2O

38 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Dibs! Me loves pumpkin :). Sadly my hubs doesn’t like it πŸ™
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..A Meat Free Family + Zucchini Steel Cut Oats with Pumpkin Almond Topping

39 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 13, 2011 at 4:23 pm

My hubby refuses to eat tofu too… but I am totally okay with that, more for me!!!!!!!!

40 Laura September 13, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I feel your pain… My husband and I eat completely opposite diets. I was vegetarian for 2 years, but now that I’ve relaxed we can eat some things that are the same. He refuses to eat a fruit or a vegetable and I thrive off of them. He tends to prefer frozen taquitos and chicken nuggets. Covered in hot sauce. An entire box of them. Bleh
Laura recently posted..Romy and Michelle’s Guide to Life

41 gia September 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm

freeze leftovers!! I do that as a single gal!!

42 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 13, 2011 at 5:16 pm

DIBS!!! I’ll take his share!! i love pumpkin everything πŸ™‚
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Baked Ravioli with Eggplant and Broccoli

43 Kristen September 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I’m with Derek on the tofu, not my thing. But LOVE LOVE LOVE pumpkin anything and everything! Can’t wait to start baking this fall πŸ™‚

44 Amanda's Notebook September 13, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Girl, I have a recipe on my blog that is a Chocolate Mousse made almost entirely with tofu… I have given it to my friends who are anti-tofu also and they all rave about it.

You HAVE to make this for Derek and not tell him it has tofu. He will have no idea. Here’s the link:

Amanda’s Notebook recently posted..Mixed Berry Smoothie

45 amanda September 13, 2011 at 8:54 pm

i am TOTALLY with derek on the whole, no tofu thing. i just don’t like it it my mouth. not one single bit.

however…the pumpkin thing? now that’s just crazy talk!

46 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Poor tofu, it has such a bad rap. It’s all about preparation– any food, if prepared poorly, is gonna taste like crap! Ok maybe not chocolate. That doesn’t need preparation.

Pumpkin?! Ahhh. Can’t even imagine not liking it!

47 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I love chunks of raw firm tofu on top of a big salad. Mmmm… I don’t know why I even like the taste of the stuff.

48 GetSkinnyGoVegan September 13, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Ya know, my hubby wasn’t SUPER crazy about tofu over 15 years ago either-he had only had it once and it was in chili. But now he can’t get enough of the stuff. I have been putting it in a glass pie pan, with some veggies, onion, & garlic and broiling it. I put tamari on the tofu prior-and we usually freeze our tofu, just so we can buy in bulk but then it also has a pretty cool texture. I bet your man will come around sometime!!
GetSkinnyGoVegan recently posted..On Carrots, Coffee & Cancer. Jess, the Groovy Gorgeous Gerson Girl.

49 Dina September 14, 2011 at 6:02 am

Tofu I get, not a fan myself plus having a thyroid condition, I really should not eat it. Pumpkin is just nuts though! I love pumpkin so much that my birthday cake is always pumpkin pie.
Dina recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

50 Ali @ Ali Runs September 14, 2011 at 8:48 am

Tofu is one thing I won’t try either. πŸ™ I cannot get past the weird texture and look of it.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Fitting It All In

51 Sophie September 14, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I’ve always shared Derek’s feelings about Tofu….it just freaks me out a bit!
Sophie recently posted..Back On The Bandwagon.

52 Samantha September 14, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I have to admit…I’m one of those pumpkin haters. I’ve tried it, really I have. I just can’t do it. Don’t ask me what it is about it I just try and try and can’t. :/

53 Katie September 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I know how you feel about the tofu! My husband used to avoid it at all costs. However, there is one thing I make with tofu that is SO good: Alton Brown’s moo-less chocolate pie: http://rufflesandtruffles.com/2011/04/moo-less-chocolate-pie/ I literally have to fight him to get the last slice. I probably won’t be trying to serve tofu to him in savory form any time soon, but I feel a little triumphant that at least I made him like it in some way!
Katie recently posted..From the back of my closet