HIM Training: Week 14

by Meghann on September 12, 2011

We’re getting down to the wire here. Fourteen weeks down – two more to go. πŸ˜‰

A look back:

Week 14 was originally the start of taper time…

Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 12.10.51 PM.png

BUT, I still had a few long distances I was itching to get in before d-day.

Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 12.15.50 PM.png

• Swim: 3700 yds
  • Bike: 68 miles
  • Run: 21 miles
  • Strength: 2 days
  • Yoga: 5 hours – thanks to Rasa-Lila Fest πŸ˜‰

Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 1.42.04 PM.png

The goal for this week was to get one last long run in and on last long bike ride (with hills) in before tapering begins. I felt strong with both both and only wish I had time for another long open water swim now.

It’s hard to believe that we’re only two weeks out from Augusta. Here’s where all the nerves and the should-a, could-a, would-a‘s start to kick in. We ran into a few friends on the trail yesterday who are also training for Augusta and were kicking butt at a pretty intense brick. One rode 40 miles before running 10 miles. The longest brick I’ve done thus far is riding 12 and running 4 or riding 40 and running 2. I heard his numbers and I gulped. There are a million different theories when it comes to bricks and how much training is necessary, but I’m pretty sure what ever I do will never feel like enough. I have to keep reminding myself that this is only first HIM and my main goal is to finish and not kill myself in training.

Wave Starts

The official wave times were posted online this weekend.

Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 1.54.44 PM.png

This whole time I had it in my mind that I would be starting at 7:00am, but it turns out it will be closer to 9:00 – yikes! At least I’ll be in the same wave as my sister (Ben will be an hour and a half ahead of us) and royal blue is a pretty color for a swim cap. πŸ™‚

The real downer with being in the back is the small 15 minute time gap we’ll have with cut off. I’m very fearful of being cut off due to time on the bike and the closer my wave is to the back, the more that becomes a reality. Just some fun added pressure. πŸ™

We timed it out yesterday where we would only need to average out 12.5 mph on the bike to stay safe. The majority of my rides have been well above that, but you just never know what could happen come race day!

Tracking

Bib numbers have also been posted.

Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 1.58.36 PM.png

Now, this really feels official!

I *think* you should be able to track me at http://ironmanlive.com on race day. An option for Augusta 70.3 should appear on the homepage and you would just click the ‘Athlete Tracker’ below it. This will hopefully give you my splits and not a big DNF. Hopefully.

Two more weeks. Two more weeks. Two more week.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh……

My lunch today was pretty tasty.

Just a simple open face egg sandwich with jam and swiss cheese on an english muffin.

With a side of apple and peanut butter.

Tasty.

Time to get this afternoon moving!

1 Cait's Plate September 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm

That sandwich looks awesome. Love that you had it open face – maximizes the time spent eating πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pears are Back in Town

2 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm

It seems like you’ve been training for this event forever — which makes me know that you will do great!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..I Love Eggs (GIVEAWAY!)

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm

WOW Meghann, that is some impressive training!!! I’m excited to track your progress on the day of the event. With all this training under your belt I’m sure you’ll give the competition a run for their money!!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..This is what happens when I go for walks

4 Hillary September 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Now all I want is Swiss cheese. Like, now. ; )
Hillary recently posted..Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies

5 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope September 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Wow, you did awesome this week..so versatile in your workouts, i love it. Two weeks to go, eee!
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..Riding

6 Rae September 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Deep breaths-you put in teh training, you should be good! Just take it steady on the bike and you’ll be fine!!! Make sure you taper though..thats the hardest part….if you can, take a break from weights for the next two weeks cause you dont want to break down your body if you dont have to!!

7 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm

AHHHH SO exciting!! I love the anticpation, it makes it OH so fun πŸ˜‰

Great lunch! Yumm.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..SMART Goals

8 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 12, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I’m getting nervous & excited for you! haha
I’m sure all your hard work in training is going to pay off come race day. Hopefully the 9am start doesn’t make it too hot during the run for you guys!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sunday fun day

9 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm

This is really impressive, Meghann! You’re doing awesome!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Ben and Jerry’s and Back to Boston

10 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm

You are going to ROCK that HIM, Meghann! Can’t wait to see pics of you crossing the finish line, etc πŸ™‚ You should try a heel-click like @CaitlinHTP !
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Brain Food!

11 Lara @ TresLaLa September 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm

You’re so right – whatever you do would never feel like enough. But it could feel like too much if you were to injure yourself. I think sticking to your plan is the best plan! You’re going to blow that 12.5 mph out of the proverbial water!
Lara @ TresLaLa recently posted..A Day of Remembrance

12 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Your going to kick som majjor butt at augusta!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake

13 Emily@SavoryandSavage September 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Very exciting you know your bib number! That always makes it feel much more official to me.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Paris cafe

14 Heather September 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Seems that you’ve done a fantastic job training, so I’m sure you’ll do great!

15 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Wow what a week! 2 weeks… Craziness! You are doing such a great job with your training.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Seaside 2011 {+ sneak peek}

16 Kaitlin September 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Girl, your mileage is freaking AWESOME! Check that out– 91 miles! You’re going to totally rock out Augusta, and I wouldn’t worry about the time cut off. I’m sure there will be plenty of people for you to pass!

Also, still totally jealous of the yoga festival! I wish Michigan had more of these.
Kaitlin recently posted..Philadelphia Half Marathon Training Week 2!

17 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Dont stress about the cut off. Just do your thing – and you will make it..>EASILY!!!! πŸ™‚
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Pregnancy Update – Week 14

18 michelle September 12, 2011 at 5:36 pm

16 hours of training? You are so ready
michelle recently posted..Observations in Germany

19 Nadine @ Multi-tasker Runner September 12, 2011 at 5:49 pm

This is really impressive, Meghann! You’re doing great! You’re gonna rock it-no doubt!!
Nadine @ Multi-tasker Runner recently posted..Motivation

20 Ida September 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I am sure you’ll finish the swim in plenty of time. Just stinks that you have to wait around for two hours- bring extra snacks, and lots of water!

21 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yum – that lunch looks awesome!

Also, congrats on your blog-iversary yesterday. 3 years is a huge accomplishment! I’ve only been blogging for about 2.5 months, but I know how much work it can be– even to do as a hobby.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Munchkin Monday

22 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ September 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm

that is a seriously intense training schedule!!!!!
I know im a little late but happy blog-aversary! I always enjoy reading πŸ™‚
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..Oh Eleanor, You’re So Smart

23 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas September 12, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Apple and Peanut Butter are thee perfect side πŸ™‚
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Cupcake Saturday

24 Layla September 12, 2011 at 10:33 pm

nice training schedule! you always seem to like new workouts and I was wondering if you ever tried the 99 workout?

25 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 10:19 am

99 workout? Nope – never heard of it! What is it?

26 Layla September 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

you do 99 jumping jacks, 99 crunches, 99 second wall sit, 99 leg lifts, 9 pushups then repeat the cycle but reduce the reps to 88, 77,66,55,44,33,22 and then go for a 11 minute run once its all finished. I swim at a university and they make us do it sometimes as a workout. its really great and hard but whips the body into shape using no gym equipment just your own body weight! i suggest you try it out!

27 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Whoa! That does sound intense! I’ll have to try it!!!

28 Nicole September 12, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Oh wow – it’s getting so close!
You have prepared your mind and your body and you will kill it! I have no doubt!

29 Ali @ Ali Runs September 14, 2011 at 8:44 am

I cannot believe it’s been 14 weeks since you’ve started training! But I say that every week– you’re going to rock the HIM!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Fitting It All In