more ยป" />

Afternoon Gym

by Meghann on September 12, 2011

Today I learned that afternoon gym is NOT the same as morning gym. More people, more teenagers, and more muscle men hogging the weights means a stressed out Meghann fighting for a spot on the floor. Not cool.

I tried to make up for my missed morning session with an impromtu visit to the gym after work. It took me a little longer than normal, but I finished NROLFW Stage 3A in a little less than an hour.

I couldn’t believe how many people were at the gym around 5:00pm, compared to 7:00am. For the first time in a while, I felt intimidated in the free weights area. It was as if the muscle boys were annoyed with my presence. I had to remind myself that it was probably all in my head and they didn’t care that I was there (besides when they asked if I was still using the bench that I had only sat up from seconds before – I was – or casually thumbed tapped as they waited on the set of 20lbs I was using).

I’m a morning gym person for a reason, but it was nice to have the afternoon gym option available when I need it.

Before heading to the gym I had a mini-trail mix of cocoa almonds, chopped dates, and a graham cracker crumbled.

I started dinner almost as soon as I walked in the door.

Major props to Derek for supplying the DogFish Punkin Ale <3

IMG_2921.jpg

While I supplied the food.

Roasted Vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potato, & red potato), Bean Balls (pinto beans, tofu, onion, cumin, fennel seeds, salt, pepper, flax seed, and bread crumbs – blended in a food processor and baked as little balls for 30 minutes at 415), Marinara Sauce, and Blue Cheese

This dish is a fall favorite. I tend to get heavy on the marinara sauce when the seasons change. ๐Ÿ™‚

For dessert I had a sliver of pumpkin cream cheese cake with a serving of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Currently there’s a mix of baseball and football on the tv – that’s my cue it’s time for bed.

Good Night!!!

1 Maren @ Maren's Morsels September 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I always get really intimidated at the gym too! I hate going to the weight area, especially when muscle guys are there. I’m glad to hear someone like you has the same fears.
Maren @ Maren’s Morsels recently posted..Blogger Chile Recipe Contest: Cool and Spicy Habanero Sliders

2 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I now want pumpkin everything ๐Ÿ™‚ wishing the fall weather would follow soon though!

I’ve been in some really douche-y university gyms where the muscle guys really were jerks (not in my head, got a thick skin), so I would just leave their area alone and find free weights and machines elsewhere. Some of those guys seem to be replacing politeness with muscle mass.
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Brain Food!

3 Coco September 12, 2011 at 9:45 pm

The gym is completely different- I agree! I always always go to the gym in the morning itโ€™s way better.. I just like the vibe of the older people and the calm!
Coco recently posted..Boxed wine and 90โ€™s television

4 Sana September 12, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I went to the gym today at 6am and it was soo empty! I usually workout at night!!
Sana recently posted..Ooops I skipped a meal

5 Katy (The Singing Runner) September 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I went to the gym this afternoon too and it is SO different than the morning crowd.

I usually go at 6am, before my classes for the day, but today I decided to sleep in a little and went in the afternoon at 3:30. Holy moly- there were so many more people! I also felt the same way in the weight room! Eek!

At least you got in there and got it done! ๐Ÿ˜€

6 Amy September 12, 2011 at 9:48 pm

If I drank beer I am pretty sure pumpkin flavored would be a fav
Amy recently posted..Self-improvement โ€“ Part 1: Negativity

7 Jenn @ Monkey Butt Junction September 12, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I definitely prefer the morning gym. Fewer “meatheads” and a lot more room to do what I want. I typically get in during the noon hour on my lunch break, which is a whole different crowd, basically people in a hurry trying to get their workout in over lunch, and students.
Jenn @ Monkey Butt Junction recently posted..Saturday Morning

8 Alaina September 12, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Yeah for pumpkin beer and warm food! I love the fall season. ๐Ÿ™‚
Alaina recently posted..5kโ€™s and Pedicures

9 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I teach fitness classes in both the evening and morning times and the people there are totally a DIFFERENT crowd. The a.m. crowd is mothers, men (before work) -middle aged, elderly men and women. The night crowd is teenage, young adult, and some crazies back again (from the morning). It is VERY different for teaching styles too. Kind of funny!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..SMART Goals

10 Fit Chick Britt September 12, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I think that’s why I’m not a weight room person. I prefer to do my weights at home since I always workout after 5pm.
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Sundays are Just as Good as Saturdays Maybe Better

11 sMiles from Callie September 12, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Hi Meghann! How’d you like the pumpkin ale?! I’m in love with fall beers. I actually tried the New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale last night and it was delicious! I think I want to try one that’s a little sweeter though next time ๐Ÿ™‚ Just because I want it to taste like pumpkin pie ha. By the way that dinner looks absolutely delicious!
sMiles from Callie recently posted..Going Back to Class

12 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 10:20 am

I liked the Punkin Ale from Dogfish. It was very cinnamony and tasted just like fall.

13 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 12, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I go to my university’s campus gym, so the meat heads are usually there in the morning AND the afternoon. I know– lucky me haha ๐Ÿ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Bag of Popcorn

14 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 12, 2011 at 10:58 pm

haha, not a sports watching fan huh? I’d be the same way if my husband actually watched sports (or if we had cable)!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sunday fun day

15 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’m not – I can sometimes get into watching college football, but that’s only if I’m watching FSU. I would just rather be playing sports than watching them.

16 Nicole September 12, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I would really love to be a morning gym person. Since I’ve been out of work I like to go to the gym before 10am and it’s really nice. When work comes back around I would love to transition to mornings but I think it would be really difficult to get used to. I’m not sure how I would do with the whole “get ready at the gym before work” thing.
Nicole recently posted..Monday Rundown

17 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 10:22 am

I did it for a while and it’s really not that bad. It would actually take me less time to get ready at the gym because I wouldn’t be distracted like I would at home. ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 12, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Pumpkin Ale!? A girl after my own heart ๐Ÿ˜‰

19 Lara @TresLaLa September 13, 2011 at 12:06 am

I workout at the gym at work – it’s crazy either before or after work… But, I just get out there, do my thing, and get it done. I’m usually working 2 or 3 x harder than most of the guys in there anyway. Most of ’em are seemingly just there to stare at themselves in the mirror and chat. I’m the one asking if they’re done or if I can work in their set… ๐Ÿ˜›
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..A Day of Remembrance

20 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 13, 2011 at 12:15 am

You hit the nail on the head as to *exactly* why I hate going to the gym after work. I’ve been doing it more lately but if I’m going after work, I stick to cardio and stretching. I don’t like fighting for the machine, weight, and space needed for a good workout. AM workouts are the way to go! And you get it out of the way! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday

21 TanyaS September 13, 2011 at 12:19 am

I noticed about a 15 year age difference between the gym dudes that are there at 7pm and those that are there only an hour later. So much nicer with the more mature guys, but I hate being at the gym so late.

22 Megan @ Long Distance Relationship September 13, 2011 at 6:50 am

I have noticed the same thing at my gym, so I tend to avoid weight sessions in the afternoon if possible.

Love the Punkin Ale! If you haven’t already you should try Post Road Pumpkin Ale by Brooklyn Brewery.

23 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 10:24 am

I’ll have to be on the lookout for that one! Basically if it’s a pumpkin ale I’ll be all over it ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Hillary September 13, 2011 at 7:04 am

One of my biggest gym pet peeves is those men you are describing—the ones who assume that I have no idea what I’m doing and therefore don’t belong in the weights area. I’ve gotten over any insecurities I used to have about this, and I just march right in there and do my thang. But it can definitely be intimidating!
Hillary recently posted..Comforted

25 Hope September 13, 2011 at 8:08 am

I love Dogfish Punkin! So good! ๐Ÿ™‚ Your dinner looks really good too!

I am not a big sports fan either! Every tv I turn on in our house has Comcast Sports Net on! I cannot take it. It’s sports galore in my home. lol
Hope recently posted..A Repeat Offenderโ€ฆ

26 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 13, 2011 at 8:19 am

I have to work out after work due to my work schedule, and I’m always so annoyed by how crowded it gets. Once you get used to it, it doesn’t bother you as much, but the weekends are a nice relief from the usual crowds!

27 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers September 13, 2011 at 8:21 am

BeanBalls. I want em.

In other news: as a regular 5-5: 30 pm gym-goer, I’m always so pleasantly surprised when I get to do a mid-day trip or a weekend jaunt. Sometimes, I just run around on different ellipticals just cause I can.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday: The Calm Before the Storm

28 Lauren September 13, 2011 at 8:30 am

I never go to they gym from 4-6ish just for that reason! I just started the new rules of lifting workouts, so I’ve been getting up at 7 on weights days, so the gym is not crowded.
Lauren recently posted..New Rules of Lifting for Women Review

29 Corey @ Learning Patience September 13, 2011 at 8:50 am

Hmm…interesting idea – bean balls…might have to try that out.
I miss going to a gym…

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..New Fitness Goal – Conquering Lady Chancellor

30 Cait's Plate September 13, 2011 at 8:51 am

Hahahaha – when my boyfriend has baseball on his ipod and football on the TV, it’s usually when I retire to the bed too ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 10:26 am

Derek has the TV, LapTop, iPad, and iPhone at his disposal. Oy vey.

32 Cait's Plate September 13, 2011 at 10:41 am

HAHA! Luckily my boyfriend doesn’t have an iphone yet…then I’d REALLY be in trouble!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Two Tuesday Things

33 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 13, 2011 at 8:59 am

I’m an afternoon gym-goer. It’s usually not so bad in the summer but in the winter it’s nuts.
Don’t worry about the muscle men. They don’t have anything against you. They’re just like you…fighting for benches, weights, and stacks. You can always offer to let them work-in with you (ie. do a set on your bench while you are resting). Sometimes they’ll do it, a lot of times they’ll just wait until you’re done but appreciate the offer.

34 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 10:28 am

I switched off with someone with the weights yesterday. I don’t mind sharing, but you’re right a lot of the times they’ll just wait.

35 Nikki September 13, 2011 at 9:04 am

I work at the gym on campus so I have always kept an eye on the busy times. I am like you and cannot handle overcrowded gyms while getting my sweat on!
Nikki recently posted..Breaking My Promise

36 Clare @ Fitting It All In September 13, 2011 at 9:22 am

Same exact thing at my gym. Morning gym go-er for life!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..I Didnโ€™t Need To Go Shopping

37 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots September 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

HATE the weight area in the afternoon. So many giant guys that think they totally own the whole space. They don’t re-rack their weights and they just commandeer benches for hours with their Powerade jugs and towels. UGH. Boys.

And don’t even get me started on them not putting the kettlebells back in the right order. GUH.

I will only do weights in the mornings. Cardio in the afternoon.
Cassie @ Back to Her Roots recently posted..confessionsโ€ฆ

38 Meghann September 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

It is pretty crazy how disordered the weights are in the afternoon.

39 Ericka September 13, 2011 at 9:52 am

Is that Punkin’ ale not the best beer you’ve ever had in your life? I had it last week and was obsessed. It’ s a must for fall! And, yeah, I’ m only ever intimidated in the weights area when I got right after work. It’s pretty overwelming but whatev, they can wait their turn!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ericka recently posted..White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Brown Sugar Bars

40 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 13, 2011 at 9:59 am

Sadly our gym is crowded at both times. With the high schoolers and people taking over the weight room post-work in the afternoon…and then with the “social” ladies who stand around and chat in the way of everything in the morning. Drives me crazy.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Tuesday Tangents

41 Laura September 13, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’m laughing at this because I always go to the gym at 6:15 am to avoid the afternoon craziness. Today, I overslept by 45 minutes and thought “oh hell no I’m going after 5:00” and decided I was still going to fit in a morning workout no matter what … the alternative is just way worse!

42 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 13, 2011 at 10:15 am

I feel you–I hate the gym at 5pm! Not just because I feel better getting it done in the morning, but I just want to be able to do what I want to do when and where I want to do it! I guess I’m a selfish gym person haha. Plus at mine if you go at 5, there is a 30 minute wait for cardio. Ridiculous. I’m glad to have a schedule that lets me go in the morning :O)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Skinnified Sunday: Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes

43 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates September 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Oh, I can’t stand the gym in the afternoon. It’s so crowded and I feel like its such a scene. Not for me!

Dogfish, however, is most definitely for me ๐Ÿ™‚ I haven’t tried the pumpkin yet, but now I’m really excited for the weekend!
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Meet the Family

44 Ali @ Ali Runs September 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I heart Pumpkin beer! It’s seriously the best.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Fitting It All In

45 Sophie September 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I hate going to the gym when it’s busy – I always think people are looking at me :/ (I know they’re not but that doesn’t stop the paranoia!) It’s totally worth getting up early to avoid that!
Sophie recently posted..Epic Fail.