Simple and Lazy

by Meghann on September 11, 2011

The afternoon fly by way too fast. It was nearly 5:00 when I finished my post and – just when I thought about having a snack – I realized it was time for dinner.

I wasn’t looking for anything complicated, just a simple dinner for a lazy night.

I marinated some tofu in BBQ sauce and baked it with some yucca for 25 minutes at 425.

While that was cooling off, I popped a bag of steam-in-a-bag brussels sprouts in the microwave.

Doesn’t get much easier than that. 😉

I cut a piece of pumpkin cream cheese cake that Derek’s Mom had given us for dessert. Some fresh raspberries seemed to finish off the plate perfectly.

My 9/11 Story

As I sit here and watch my 5th 9/11 special of the day, I still can’t believe its been 10 years since the towers fell. I was only 16 at the time and still remember passing notes back and forth with my friend Rachel in U.S. History when the plane hit the first tower. We were watching a random educational video when Mrs. House came in and whispered something into Mr. Heil’s ear. He stood up and quickly flipped to the news without saying a word. My whole class just sort of stopped and stared – I don’t think any of us really grasped what exactly was going on. The rest of the day was a blur of 24hour news coverage, the immediate panic of what might come next, and an instant feeling of pride as our nation came together in wake of a tragedy.

Now I’m 26 – and a lot has changed since that day – but that since of pride is still there. I’m proud to be an American and I always will be.

1 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm

that cake looks amazing! i love raspberries- i’m sad summer is coming to an end mainly bc of my love for berries!

2 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 11, 2011 at 9:38 pm

With the microwave burssel sprouts– the last time I tried frozen ones, they were totally mushy and bitter, and WAY different than their fresh counterparts. How do your steam-in-bag ones taste?
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Study Sunday(s)

3 Erika - The Teenage Taste September 11, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Mmmmm – dinner looks delicious! BBQ tofu is one my favorites! 😀
Erika – The Teenage Taste recently posted..Warm Spinach & Potato Salad

4 Hillary September 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

It seems like everyone I know was in US History class that day (including myself). So bizarre to think that an entire decade has passed.
Hillary recently posted..Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies

5 Krissy - Shiawase Life September 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Random, but are the red boxes new?
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..You must be my lucky skirt…

6 Meghann September 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Yes, I added the ‘You May Also Like..” feature and I can’t figure out how to get rid of the red box.

7 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Pumpkin cream cheese cake sounds sooooo good! Even better when someone else makes it 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Fourteen in a Thunderstorm

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm

My school was not allowed to talk about/show any footage on 9/11. We were all kind of in the dark except for rumors that were flying until we got home that night.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..9/11 – where were you?

9 Meghann September 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I think that would be even scarier than being exposed to it.

10 Amy September 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm

makes me curious…what kind of school was it?
Amy recently posted..I lie!

11 Sana September 11, 2011 at 9:47 pm

The weekend also flew by and so have the past 10 years!
Sana recently posted..My Saturday.

12 Army Amy* September 11, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Can’t go wrong with Brussel sprouts!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Remember

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 11, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I was in German class, and it was horrific to actually watch the 2nd plane hit…live. I am proud to be an American and to stand together and stay strong in fighting evil.

Love your easy, simple dinner–sometimes the day calls for easy!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Fall Food : Apples

14 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 11, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I’ve never tried BBQ tofu—great idea!

I was in my sorority and walked in after taking a shower and saw everyone gathered around the TV. I had to volunteer later that day at a childcare center, and little kids were asking me what had happened–so hard to even know what to tell them. What an awful, awful day.
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Ben and Jerry’s and Back to Boston

15 Nicole September 12, 2011 at 12:37 am

I really wish I could enjoy tofu but it’s just not in the cards for me. However, you made that dinner look good. That’s something. 🙂

16 Alyssa September 12, 2011 at 12:54 am

I totally thought those red boxes were meant to be there!

17 Lara @TresLaLa September 12, 2011 at 2:19 am

We’re watching the History Channel right now. I was on my way into work that morning (in Houston) – I had started my first job after college a few months earlier. All I could think of was, what if I’d gotten/taken all those jobs in NYC & DC that I’d applied for? Where would I be that day, and how would my life be different?!?
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..A Day of Remembrance

18 Lauren September 12, 2011 at 6:58 am

That pumpkin cheesecake looks amazing!! Have a great Monday Meghann!
Lauren recently posted..Technical Difficulties: The Blog Must Go On

19 Cait's Plate September 12, 2011 at 8:28 am

LOVE steam in a bag brussel sprouts. I’m a huge fan of steaming them then toasting them with some walnuts. SO delicious.

20 Hope September 12, 2011 at 8:37 am

Love brussels sprouts! I usually take frozen ones and roast them in the oven. It’s a lot cheaper than buying fresh ones 🙂
Hope recently posted..Fall TV Excitement…

21 Becky @ Skinnyfat Girls September 12, 2011 at 11:20 am

You know, I love my veggies but I just can’t seem to get on board the brussel sprout train! They’re just so bitter…I get the shivers just thinking about them! But they’re oh-so-cute and green – I want to like them so badly! Maybe I don’t know how to cook them right. The pumpkin cream cheese cake, on the other hand – yeah, I’m totally on board for that one!

22 Sophie September 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Mmmm, that cream cake looks gorgeous!
Sophie recently posted..A Letter To My 20 Year Old Self.