Long Run? Check!

by Meghann on September 9, 2011

Awkward sweaty bathroom picture? Check!

Proud Garmin shot? Check!

Unappetizing photo of pre-run english muffin, almond butter, and chopped dates? Check!

I guess that means I did my long run today. πŸ˜‰

The weather was still relatively nice when I took off just around 6:30 this morning. Instead of driving to a trail, I stuck around my neighborhood and got pretty creative with my loops and turns. I tried to fit as much distance as I could in my small area and was pleased with the results.

The goal was 12 miles, going in I told myself I’d be happy with 10, and my middle ground ended up being a solid 11. My pace was all over the place – one second I would see 8:34 and the next 11:01 – but I finished with a pretty even 9:34.

I felt pretty good on the run, just a little bored. I downloaded a new book for my ipod right before I left and found it to be a little too light and airy for my taste. My interest never really picked up and I’m still sort of confused on where the storyline(s) are going. Oh, well.

After my run I wasn’t feeling hungry at all. Nothing sounded good, but I knew I had to have something. A smoothie seemed to be the best bet.

The base for the smoothie was a chocolate Mix1 that had been in my fridge.

IMG_2746.jpg

The Mix1 was given to me after a long bike ride a few weeks ago and has been staring at me in the fridge ever since. Truth is, I’m not a fan of drinking chocolate milk (or another that really resembles milk). I tried a sip of Courtney’s on the way home that day and had already sold myself on the fact that I wasn’t going to like it on it’s own, BUT I kept it around because I hate wasting food and knew it would come in handy.

This morning I poured the chocolate Mix1 in a blender and added a handful of spinach, frozen strawberries, and some xanthum gum.

The results were a strawberry-chocolate shake that tasted like ice cream.

A half of a cup of Kashi Go Lean Crisp on top gave the smoothie a nice crunch. I love the juxtaposition of creamy and crunchy textures.

However, my hunger levels are still feeling off and I could only eat 1/2 the bowl. So, strange! I’m sure I’ll be hungry for the rest in another hour or so – my body just needs to catch up with my head.

How is your appetite usually after long runs? Ate you a starvin’ marvin’ or barely able to force anything down?

1 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 9, 2011 at 10:10 am

When I am running regularly and working out to my limits, I have to keep protein powder around or I don’t get enough calories – working out makes me LESS hungry overall, even though you would think it would be the opposite!
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Misty, Gray, and Chilly

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 9, 2011 at 10:11 am

It usually takes me around 45 minutes- 1 hour to get hungry after a long run. If I eat too soon, I’ll feel gross and nauseous. Nice job on 11!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Aspaeris compression shorts giveaway!

3 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 9, 2011 at 10:12 am

after a long run I NEVER want to eat. The very idea makes me feel ick. However, after bodypump, I want a ton of food.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The Sting of Effing Failure.

4 Ali @ Ali Runs September 9, 2011 at 10:18 am

Awesome job on the long run today! I’m debating whether I want to do mine today or tomorrow. Right now, it looks like tomorrow is winning! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Send Help

5 Sara September 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

I always need to wait about an hour before eating after a long run. When I do 1/2 marathon races I normally drink lots of water and take all the snacks home πŸ™‚

6 Rachel Wilkerson September 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

When I was marathon training, I wasn’t typically that hungry on long run days…but the next day? Oh my goodness. My appetite was ridiculous! It still happens that way sometimes after tough workouts, although it’s not as bad since I no longer do major cardio.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..Lesson #101: How to Lose Weight & Get in Shape in the Fall

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

Usually after long runs, I’m not really hungry right away. However… give me half an hour to shower and get my grubby clothes off and I’m pretty close to starving!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Fit Bit Friday 10

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

After long runs I am usually SUPER thirsty, not hungry. SO weird! But I get really hungry every day I teach BodyPUMP πŸ™‚ Weights ups my appetite for sure!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Belly Fat How To Lose It

9 Liz @ Southern Charm September 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

My appetite after a long run varies with the weather. I know it sounds funny, but after a hot run I’m not that hungry, but usually force down something cold because I know I need it. After a run in the cool/cold weather, I’m starving. Am I weird? Haha.

Your post-run meal looks amazing though!!!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Should You Workout When You’re Sore?

10 Khushboo September 9, 2011 at 11:03 am

I’m rarely hungry after runs..weight training though is a different story- i can’t feel my appetite revving up with each bicep curl hah!
Khushboo recently posted..Brown paper bag: week 4

11 Brenda September 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

I ran my first ever 11 miles yesterday in prep for my first 1/2 marathon coming up, and I was so hungry the rest of the day!! I don’t know if it was in my head since I knew I had just burned bunches of calories, but I ate a lot the rest of the day!!

12 Sana September 9, 2011 at 11:26 am

Great job on the run :)!
Sana recently posted..Homework Club

13 Cait's Plate September 9, 2011 at 11:35 am

Jealous you’ve already got your long run done!! I was literally just talking about this the other day with my friend…immediately after running mid-distance, I’m not hungry at all, and then like an hour later it hits me like crazy and I’m STARVING. With longer runs though, I actually get hungry ON the run.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Darker Days

14 Holly September 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

Each long run is so different for me–some long runs my stomach is growling 5 miles before I’m done and I can’t wait to stuff my face, others my appetite is off all day. I usually fuel the same way before and during all long runs, so I don’t know what it would be! It’s strange.
Holly recently posted..Another Week to a Close

15 Sonia (the Mexigarian) September 9, 2011 at 11:55 am

I haven’t been up to a long run before. My longest was just under 7 miles πŸ™‚ When I run 5 or more miles I am pretty starving afterwards and practically raid the fridge. But that’s typical for me after good long cardio sessions. Swimming is a major catalyst for me too.

The smoothie looks yummy. I’m always surprised when people put smoothies in a bowl, even though I’ve had several like it before. I dunno why. Lol.
Sonia (the Mexigarian) recently posted..Wordless Week Review

16 Ashley September 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm

It usually takes me a couple hours to actually feel hungry after a workout, but I eat anyways, hehe. πŸ™‚
Ashley recently posted..Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

17 Raya September 9, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I never have any appetite for about an hour after any kind of run. Even if it’s only a couple miles.
Raya recently posted..My Life in 10 Years

18 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Have you tried reading the Hunger Games yet? Probably plenty gripping as an audio book for your runs πŸ™‚

I’m about to make a smoothie myself– yours looks delish πŸ™‚
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Fix

19 Meghann September 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I keep meaning to read that, I think that’ll be my next download!

20 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm

It takes me forever to get hungry after a long run (or race). If nothing else, I force down a glass of chocolate almond milk to aid recovery. Congrats on your long run, isn’t it nice to have that out of the way so early in the day – you feel so awesome the rest of the day! πŸ™‚
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..From Fig-a-licous Toast to Chocolate Fudge Pie!

21 Anna @ Food Fitness and Frolicking September 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Great job on your long run!

After my long runs, I have little to no appetite for the rest of the day. But the day after? I am STARVING all day long, haha. Funny how our bodies work, right?
Anna @ Food Fitness and Frolicking recently posted..How Much is Enough?

22 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 9, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Haha I totally thought those dates were gummy worms!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Vegetable White Bean Soup

23 Rachel @ Runner's Tales September 9, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I am absolutely a starvin’ marvin after a long run even if I take the time to properly fuel before and during my runs. I usually have a Mix1 shake afterwards and that calms the hunger pains until after I have cleaned up. Running in the Florida heat really makes me crave a shower after a run.
Rachel @ Runner’s Tales recently posted..An Ode to My First Running Shoes

24 Laura September 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I have alot of trouble eating after long runs. I definitely don’t make up for the calories I spent on long run days. But don’t worry, the hunger hits the next day and I eat everything that crosses my path.
Laura recently posted..Romy and Michelle’s Guide to Life

25 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I feel kind of sick after a hard workout and then once I have a coconut water and sit for a bit I am starving. Its weird.
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Weekly Weigh~In #2

26 Hillary September 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I’m the same way after long runs: not hungry at all immediately after, but STARVING a few hours later. So weird.
Hillary recently posted..Sauced

27 Nikki September 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm

After I run for a while, I feel as though I could be sick…but an hour or two later I become ravenous!!!
Nikki recently posted..Reality Check

28 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 9, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I’m usually not hungry after a super long run, but I’ll make myself a smoothie, get in the shower, and then I’m ready to eat my arm by the time I finish getting ready! My appetite is CRAZY a few hours after a super long run.
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Oatmeal Cookie Peanut Butter

29 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 9, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Congrats on the long run! That’s awesome. πŸ™‚

My appetite basically shuts off after long runs until that night. It’s actually probably because of the endorphins released. We learned in anatomy the same endorphins that cause runner’s high are actually appetite suppressants..so it’d make sense.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Enjoy those simple joys

30 HeatHer September 9, 2011 at 11:36 pm

By the time I shower after a long run I’m pretty hungry. My appetite really kicks in later in the day though!

31 Dina September 10, 2011 at 6:25 am

I am starving after long runs, if I do them early, but less so if I run in the afternoon. I eat a large breakfast most days, so I think that has a lot to do with it.

I haven’t seen the chocolate Mix1 flavor but have tried the strawberry and banana which was pretty good.
Dina recently posted..Bloggers Invade El Bodegon

32 Sophie September 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I normally feel a little sick after any workout, but then about half hour later hunger really strikes!
Sophie recently posted..PGL & 9/11 Memories.